TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Default Be Inspiring, Totally Confident and Hot!!!

I chickened out! I really wanted to call this thread "Be the Bitch" but I didn't want to offend anyone or have them misinterpret what I meant. So if you're offended now, click the back button. And if you're not, read on!

Rachel Cosgrove is a friend of Craig's, or else I'd be nervous about using her signature phrase as the title of my thread for this contest. But hey, I do own her book, though I stopped those workouts to do TTTC#7 and have not gotten back to them since I'm now addicted to TT. And she is my Facebook friend, so I'm going to co-opt the phrase for this 12 week period. Anyway, I've got no choice since I've already used "Quit your whining-AND GET IN THE GYM!!!" as the title of my non-contest workout journal.

This is my third contest since I started TT and I've been a finalist in both #7 and #8 though not won a prize yet. Despite that, over the course of this year I've dropped from a starting weight of 170 to my current weight of 143, and gone from a tight size 12 to a loose size 6/8. Third time's the charm! I am taking aim at the last 10-12 lbs for contest #9. The last time I weighed 135 was at my wedding 10 years ago. I can almost zip up those shorts...It's getting so close!

I'll post more about my goals and process for this one (and what I'm doing to encourage others to come along on this journey) later, have to get some dinner ready right now! Good luck to everyone as you prepare for this contest. I know that I for one am looking at this one differently. Past contests were about seeing what kind of weight loss I could achieve. This is about setting goals beyond weight loss, and seeing what other progress I can make in aspects of my life that need improvement. I'm so excited to have others who were such a great support in contests #7 and #8 along for the ride here, or cheering us on. This is going to be a fantastic 12 weeks!!!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM

I love the title of the thread! I was going to start mine but couldn't think of something fun enough and that's when I realized I wasn't 100% clear on my focus and solicited feedback on that! So anyway, I can't wait to hear about your goals now. You just got me all jazzed up. Keep talking!
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 PM

I second Naomi's comments! Give us your goals! :-)
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM

Ha, ha love it!!! You are awesome Shannon- so glad you are in this again with us!!! Your transformation has been so aweosme so far -I cant wait to watch you make the final lap!!!

I am reading Rachel's book now and enjoying it.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride- and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high- but so are the rewards." ~ PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

My Fitday Journal
Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 AM

Well, you've already shown during previous contests that you're a force to be reckoned with so I expect it will be no different this time too.

Like the others, I too am interested in reading about your goals...the phrase "setting goals beyond weight loss" has really got me curious now!

Best of luck to you...

Find me on Facebook
Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 PM

You can still "Be the Bitch"! Good luck.
Concetta
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 PM

Default Thanks everyone!

Wow, what a response from you all! Thanks so much! I don't mean to leave you all in suspense about my goals...I am still working them out, obviously the last 10 lbs is one of those. I have inner thigh fat and back of the thigh fat that I would really like to eliminate in this contest!

I don't have time for a lot of details tonight, but one thing I have really struggled with all my life is procrastination. I am good at my job because I am comfortable with many things being left open ended as others wind towards completion. A software product (Note: not PROJECT) manager who isn't comfortable with flexible time frames and unfinished multiple projects would probably struggle with feelings of hopelessness and frustration that so many things DON'T and CAN'T get done right away. (I'm just speculating based on what some people have told me who were more the finisher type and tried this kind of job for a time.) Your to-do list is always growing faster than you can cross things off, yet your job requires you to continually ask for feedback from users which generates more work. Well, unfortunately this leads to necessary procrastination on some items because you can only give so many hours, and some stuff is hard and you know it will take a long time and lots of energy to do it! I tried the 50-60 hour work weeks and I got nothing but stress and my health suffered-I gained 30 lbs in my first 2 1/2 years of this job because it consumed me. I have a much better handle on things now. My hard work has paid off in my job, and I've learned to turn off the crackberry when I get home and unplug so I can have time for my family and my health.

But procrastination is a general characteristic I have, and it's not at all beneficial when it's a messy house, closet, garden, unfinished home projects, or un-given gifts sitting around because I get 80% of the way there and don't finish. Or worse, an eye appt I've been putting off forever. Etc. And this tendency drives my organized, finisher "J"-type husband nuts sometimes, though he is infinitely patient with me!

So one thing I am doing is making a list of items I've been procrastinating about, and I'm going to work on them during the contest. I stole this idea shamelessly from Dax Moy's interview with Craig. But I figure if I managed to lose 38 lbs so far, and can come up with a strategy to get that last 10-12 lbs off, I should be able to conquer other easier challenges. What else can I accomplish at home, and even at my job, if I finish up some of these projects that weigh on my mind, and tackle some of the things that I have continued to put off because they are stressful or I fear failure? Well, I'm planning to find out!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Fun listening to your ramblings! I spent 15 years in the industry. I'm a J. I hated the growing list. Still do; run my own biz and it's nuts sometimes. I am thinking I'll take my whole inbox and shove it to a new folder called "old inbox" and just ignore it. But I've tried this before. It has only ever been a temporary solution.

So we're both on last 10 pounds. Craig just scared the CRAP outa me.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 AM

Hey Shannon

Great post and well done on your transformations to date!

I also love Rachels work and was lucky enough to meet and chat to her at a fitness bootcamp in the Uk earlier this year! She has alot of good stuff to say as der her husband Alwyn!

Looking forward to joining this myself so here goes - good luck withyour goals X
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 AM

There was a time not so long ago when I could have out-procrastinated anyone under the table! Reading your post about the to-do list getting longer, messy house etc, feeling overwhelmed...that might as well have been written about me.

I knew I had a "problem" and read all sorts of information and references about why procrastinators do what they (we) do. I've had my fair share of stress, feeling overwhelmed, anxiety attacks, procrastinating all day at work and then feeling guilty and trying to compensate in the evenings or on the weekend just to catch up a bit (resulting in time lost for my workouts and quality time with the family).

I read all the books and tried all the "systems" - using a binder/organizer, writing everything down on Post-it notes, 3x5 cards in my pocket, putting everything into the Blackberry, a punishment-reward system, Covey's 7 Habits, visualization...all of them sort of worked for a while but I'd lose interest because whatever technique I was using was too complicated or I just couldn't keep up with it.

One reason I came across for why people procrastinate is that they are perfectionists - if they think that can't do something perfectly, they won't do it at all. This seemed to ring true for me to an extent and it took me a while to realize that sometimes "good enough" is really all that needs to be done. This doesn't mean that I'm doing shabby work now and I still take pride in what I do, it just means that I'm not going to fret about gold-plating and over-delivering for which I was notorious.

I think I finally seemed to have got a grip on procrastination after many attempts and am more energized, focused and productive than I have been for many years (I work in IT too, I own and run a small consulting and software development company). I have a very simple personal organization system that I think is the "right" one and seems to be perfect for my way of thinking - I tend to me a "big picture" thinker (I see the forest) and so details sometimes escape - or bore - me and I also tend to be spontaneous.

Some other things that I consciously did to help me cope with procrastination were:

- getting enough sleep. I was always walking around in a daze due to adequate quality sleep
- exercise...great stress burner. Nothing beats a tough TT workout with heavy weights for getting rid of the blues and clearing the head
- good nutrition...part of the overall goal to promote a healthy mind and body
- a simple, effective planning and time management system, as I mentioned above. Different things will work for different people so keep looking for yours. There are lots of great references, books, tools, software, technology etc to help

So whatever your reasons for procrastinating, keep at it and keep trying different things, eventually it will all come together - I guess it's just like trying to get fit in that respect.

I wanted to share my own experience to let you know you're not alone - we're all here to help and support each other.

Best of luck to you...