TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 7th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 PM

Have fun in St Loius- it's a fun town.

What hotel are you at? Most have ok gyms. We stayed at an Embassy Suites last time we were there and the gym was adequate for most of my work out.
Jori
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Workout updates

Hi Jori, we were at the Hilton downtown near the arch. I didn't make it to the hotel gym but did make it outside to walk. I thought since I hadn't taken any time off lifting like I'd planned to do after the contest, I would take a few days off and give my body a rest. It was good to take a little break, and I feel well rested now. I kept to lots of fruits and veggies while traveling so no real regressions there.

On Monday, I walked in airports and in St. Louis looking for somewhere to eat dinner. Nothing too strenuous but I kept to my eating plan. Then on Tuesday am, I got up early and did a quick bodyweight/interval workout in my hotel room. After my customer event that afternoon, we walked for about 2 hours, around the arch and downtown, and it was gorgeous weather. I was traveling with the co-worker who I recently convinced to start weight training and she is seeing great results. I think her trainer has her doing too much cardio, but anyway, I showed her Craig's facebook page and she was impressed. Maybe she'll start following TT!

We were both laughing because our work clothes and jeans were almost falling down at several times during the trip when we were walking fast or running, as we had to do unfortunately during a couple of times when we had gate changes at the last minute. Travel back home to RDU was hellish, with almost a 24 hour delay due to 2 cancelled flights out of 4 flights attempted. But at least traveling with a friend, it was better than being all alone.

Wednesday and Thursday I did a ton of walking in the various airports.

Today I did TT Gauntlet C1, after warmup:

1) Kettlebell snatch (with dumbell) 15/5 x 2
2) Vertical jumps 5
3) T-pushup 5 x 2
4) Chin-up 5
5) Prisoner forward lunge 5x2
6) Decline close-grip pushups 5
7) KB (dumbell) swing 5
Cooldown 5 min

I did only one set like it said for the first time. I am already feeling the snatches in my shoulders. All in all, a good workout and I'm really, really happy to be able to be doing pull-ups and chin-ups again.

Another work person (a runner) told me I looked good and asked me if I was running too. I said only short shuttle runs, and told her I was lifting weights so I could do a better job sweetly strong-arming my software development team. She seemed surprised that weights were such an important part of my now 25-lb weight loss. I believe I have officially lost 5 lbs since the end of the transformation contest, which I ended at 160. So I'm nearly to my goal of 154 which I set for May when the next contest starts. Yay!

Last edited by Starbuck1517 : 04-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Default Workout updates

Yesterday I did TT Gauntlet A2. It was a good workout, and I was really tired afterwards!

1) Shuttle sprint-20s x 2
2) Prisoner Squat-25 reps x 2
3) Shuttle sprint-20s x 2
4) Pull-up-4 reps, 3 reps
5) Push-up-25 reps
6) Pull-up-3 reps, 2 reps
7) 1-leg squat on bench 10 repsx2 legs x 2 sets
8) Elevated push-up-15 repsx2 sides x 2 sets
9) 1-leg squat on bench 10 repsx2 legs x 2 sets
10) Underhand inverted row-15 x 2
11) Bulgarian split squat 1 1/2-12 repsx2 legs x 2 sets
12) Underhand inverted row-15 x 2
13) Sprint-20s x 2
14) Prisoner Squat-25 x 2
15) Sprint-20s x 2

I noticed my knee was a little tender on some of the prisoner squats, but it didn't hurt. Then unfortunately I did a bunch of outside work, some of which involved kneeling in the dirt or mulch.

This afternoon I did a hill interval workout, 5 min warmup, 6 intervals (90s/120s recovery), 5 min cooldown. My left knee started to bother me after that workout and it's still sore. So I'm going to give it a rest and see how things go. Lateral movement seems to bother it, but not straight movements. I'm sure I just pushed too much between yesterday and today. But this morning was just a disaster (Mondays usually are) and I really felt like I needed to do some intervals before a 2 hour meeting! Sigh. Hope my knee feels better soon.

I ate a lot of fruits and veggies today, which was good. But I did break down and have two small chocolate eggs. It's the time of my cycle that I crave carbs. I'm starting to realize that I have one day per month that I just feel overwhelmed, tired and crabby. Better to realize it and deal with it rather than not understand it!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Wow! Very excited to be a finalist in 7th Transformation Contest!

So I just checked the forum and saw that Craig had posted the finalists. What a great set of results everyone had! I feel lucky to be among that group. This transformation contest has been such a great motivation for me, and I'm so glad I did it. But more so, glad that I'm continuing the TT lifestyle after it's ended. I think I have finally convinced my husband Brian to join TT team Conners (inspired by other TT couples like Joel and Shanda and Jori and Mike)! Don't know if I'll get him to post on a thread here, but he admitted he's getting bored designing his own programs. He even wants to do the next contest with me!

Meanwhile, I continued on with TT Gauntlet this morning and took ibuprofen to help with the sore left knee. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt with straight movements (e.g., body weight squats), just lateral ones, so I was able to do my workout fine this morning. I did make a few adjustments, though-swapped out Bulgarian split squats for bodyweight squats and dropped the shuttle sprints for today. I did two circuits today, in about 35 min total, with Brian helping me do the assisted pullups and chin-ups.

1) Hanging leg raise-8 reps x 2
2) Stability ball plank-30s x 2
3) Stability ball rollout-20 reps x 2
4) Stability ball plank-30s (2nd set much harder-did knee variation)
5) Stability ball jackknife with hands on floor -20 reps x 2
6) Cross body mountain climber-15 repsx2 x 2 sets
7) Side plank-45s x 2 x 2 sets
8) Spiderman pushup-6 x 2, 8 x 2
9) Chin-up/knee-up - 4 + 2 assisted, 4 1/2
10) Bodyweight squat 20 x 2
11) Pull-up/assisted pullup-4 + 2 assisted, 3+3 assisted

My abs are already sore from this workout! Today was a great day nutritionally in terms of fruits and veggies, I had frozen mixed berries in my post-workout smoothie, melon, carrots, tomatoes, edamame, and mixed greens at lunch, and melon, summer squash, and mixed greens with delicious grilled BBQ chicken dinner. My daughter and I are getting the porch garden going since it's pretty warm in NC already, with all kinds of goodies planted and starting to grow. Yay!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 PM

Well done being a finalist.

I see you are doing the Gauntlet workout also. I am in my second week. You are doing better than me in terms of time. Do your times include the warm-up time?

Great workout, eh.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck1517 View Post
Thank you...Traveling is probably the biggest challenge I have, mostly because all of the eating out. Fortunately the people I travel with most often are pretty healthy people, regular exercisers and real foodies. One is even a vegetarian, so it does make it somewhat easier to stay on track. It was a good week out there!
I travel a lot and eating and sleeping properly is also a challenge. One thing I do is fast (ESE) on my traveling outboard and inboard days.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmer View Post
Well done being a finalist.

I see you are doing the Gauntlet workout also. I am in my second week. You are doing better than me in terms of time. Do your times include the warm-up time?

Great workout, eh.
Hi Andrew, thanks! I'm quite excited to be part of that final women's group, although I am nowhere near the kind of shape that some of them are in. I've got a ways to go still, but making good progress.

It occurred to me today that I have not touched a weight in over two weeks. It's funny to think that the gauntlet workouts are bodyweight only, but I am working really hard every workout. My abs are so sore from yesterday so that it even hurts to laugh. And my triceps are really sore, I think from the stability ball plank and rollout.

No, those times don't include my warm-up. That would usually take me an additional 12 minutes or so. But my warm-ups tend to be of variable length, depending on whether I've just woken up or if it's mid-day. If I've just rolled out of bed and it's still dark out, I usually spend 3-5 minutes on the elliptical just to get myself moving before I start the gauntlet warm-up exercises. I am trying to rest as little as possible, only stopping for drinks and to note reps for specific exercises or check them off as done But I've been trying to add in an assisted pull-up or pulldown movement in to my warm-up too, or else it's hard to jump right into the chin-ups and pull-ups, especially since I've only been back to doing those for the past couple of weeks. It's good motivation for me to lose more body fat to be able to do more pull-ups. I already have bragging rights as I'm the only woman I know who can do pull-ups, but it just is so much more satisfying than pull-downs or other back exercises. I am not a fan of the reverse grip inverted rows, they just feel weird to me, but I guess that's good for variety!

I walked at lunch today, with 4 or 5 hill intervals interspersed. My knee is feeling better, but I'm still taking it easy. Workout tomorrow am though!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM

Default TT Gauntlet C2

I did the second Gauntlet workout C of the month today, only two circuits, though-5 and 10 reps. I really don't know how I could ever get through 5 circuits (5, 10, 15, 10, 5 reps) in less than 45-50 minutes or longer! Circuit 1 took me 7 min and circuit 2 took 11 min, mainly because of having to do 10 pull-ups in two mini-sets with a rest between.

Anyway, after warming up:

1) Kettlebell snatch (with dumbell) 20 lbs/5 x 2, 20/10 lbs x 2
2) Bodyweight squats 5, 10
3) T-pushup 5 x 2, 10 x 2
4) Chin-up 5, 10 (4+1 assisted, rest, 4+1)
5) Prisoner forward lunge 5x2, 10x2
6) Decline close-grip pushups 5, 10
7) KB (dumbell) swing 20lbs/5, 20lbs/10
Foam roller 7 min

At lunch, it was so nice out (70 and breezy) that I did a hill interval workout. 10 min warm-up walk, 6 intervals of 60s intervals/75-90s recovery), and 10 minute cool-down and stretch. I felt OK for this workout, though I am starting to think it is something in this workout that is bothering my knees because my right knee hurt a bit today too. Or maybe it's something else, I am not sure. Oh well!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM

Default Workout updates

I took Friday off workouts, just did some work around the house and walked the dogs. Then on Saturday morning I did TT Gauntlet workout A3. My knee is getting better, but I was careful during the workout, replacing some of the leg exercises with bodyweight squats, which don't bother my knee at all. By the end, I felt much more confident pushing myself on the sprints. I think it's just about better now, but better safe than sorry.

After a warmup, which took about 14 minutes, not sure why so long, I did the main workout:

1) Shuttle sprint-20s x 2
2) Prisoner Squat-20 reps x 2
3) Shuttle sprint-20s x 2
4) Pull-up-4 reps, 3 reps
5) Push-up-30 reps, 35 reps
6) Pull-up-3 reps, 2 reps
7) Bodyweight squat 20 reps x 2 sets
8) Elevated push-up-15 repsx2 sides x 2 sets
9) Bodyweight squat 20 reps x 2 sets
10) Underhand inverted row-15 x 2
11) Bulgarian split squat 8 repsx2 legs x 2 sets
12) Underhand inverted row-15 x 2
13) Sprint-20s x 2
14) Prisoner Squat-25 x 2
15) Sprint-20s x 2

After the workout, I stretched and used the foam roller for 10 minutes. I also weighed myself this morning and I was 154.5. That means I'm almost to my goal that I set for the time in between the transformation contests, which was to be 154 by May 3rd. I have lost inches since the end of the contest too-most of my measurements are down between 1/2 inch and 1 1/2 inches. So I feel I'm making good progress towards my eventual goal of weighing 145 with about 20% body fat. I feel good about the shape my upper body is in, but my lower half still needs work. I have to keep reminding myself that I have lost almost 4 inches off my legs and almost 5 off my hips since I first started back to working out. It seems like slow progress but 1/4 inch-1/2 inches lost of my legs every couple of weeks adds up over time. I wore shorts today without feeling yucky about it, which is a big step for me!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Default Workout updates

Well, I was disappointed not to place after being a finalist, but the person I voted for won, so that was cool! I think I'll have better luck in contest #8 because I'll be a lot closer to where I want to be.

I did TT Gauntlet B3 this morning. I did two circuits today, in about 37 min total. I read that you should not go to failure on pullups or chinups if you want to increase your reps, so I didn't today.

After a warmup, I did:

1) Hanging leg raise-10 reps x 2
2) Stability ball plank-30s x 2
3) Stability ball rollout-20 reps x 2
4) Stability ball plank-30s
5) Stability ball jackknife with hands on floor -20 reps x 2
6) Cross body mountain climber-15 repsx2 x 2 sets
7) Side plank-45s x 2 x 2 sets
8) Spiderman pushup-10 x 2, 10 x 2
9) Chin-up/knee-up - 4, 3
10) Bulgarian split squat 12/side x 2
11) Pull-up 3 x 2
12) Shuttle sprint-30s x 2

Interval workout, 30s/45s
Explosive step-up x2
Dumbell swing x 2
Shuttle sprint x 2
Dumbell chop 5 x 2, 10 x 2
Cooldown/stretch/foam roller 10 minutes

After the workout I started feeling yucky with the stomach bug that passed through the family last week. Fortunately I didn't get it too bad and I'm feeling better now. Must be all the clean eating! By the way, we went to Jason's Deli tonight and I had never been to one of those before. They are like a dream come true for someone who follows CB's advice on clean eating. I don't think I'll ever waste my $$ anywhere else again. Organic mixed greens on the salad bar, and veggies that look (gasp) just like what I prepare at home! It was really good, and kid-friendly too. Hannah got her first loose tooth today, which was very exciting.