TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Hi Starbuck-
You've done fantastic this year, I'm sure you will keep it up for this next challenge!

I have the Rachel Cosgrove book too, and I really like it, although I have to confess that I don't like her use of the word "bitch". I understand what she meant by it, the language just makes me cringe a little, I'd rather call myself something else without the negative cultural meaning. I'm probably just a little too conservative in my language (but very little else), I've just never been able to swear much.

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar74 View Post
Hi Starbuck-
You've done fantastic this year, I'm sure you will keep it up for this next challenge!

I have the Rachel Cosgrove book too, and I really like it, although I have to confess that I don't like her use of the word "bitch". I understand what she meant by it, the language just makes me cringe a little, I'd rather call myself something else without the negative cultural meaning. I'm probably just a little too conservative in my language (but very little else), I've just never been able to swear much.
Thank you! I'm making a few tweaks, and just started a new program today-Db depletion- which I think is going to be a challenge!

I understand what you mean. I know Rachel's tactic is to try to turn a hateful word into something positive. It's cringe-worthy but also attention-getting, which is probably the main reason she uses it. Ironically-last night I was watching an old 30 rock episode on netflix with a similar theme (different culturally charged word) where they ran a vacuum cleaner every time someone said the word in question.

I had an conversation with a guy on a plane recently about working out and weight loss whose wife is one of those lucky skinny people who could wear a bikini 2 weeks after giving birth to their daughter. He was telling me about how he overheard other women at the pool saying, who does she think she is, back in her bikini so soon, that bitch! That to me is exactly the kind of thing Rachel is talking about-being that woman whose body everyone wants, and feeling hot and confident in your own skin. Of course the average woman is not going to be bikini-ready 2 weeks post-partum-I certainly was not-it took me 5 years to get my bikini body back!!! There are plenty of teen-agers at my pool who have not had kids and have better bodies but whatever! I just don't care anymore!

I don't know what people are saying behind my back about what I've done to transform my body so far, but I've only had a few people flat out express jealousy to my face, and mostly in a half-joking way. Most people just want to know what I'm doing, and are happy to know that it's nothing extreme and they could do it too. I have a work friend who's 5 years younger than me, and she started working out with weights at my suggestion last year, made huge changes (despite dropping only about 10 lbs, she's lost several sizes) and she looks fantastic! Another co-worker has dropped 30 lbs so far through changing his diet and going back to weight lifting. We have a weekly interval training workout at lunch on Wednesday where we discuss work and fitness.

I'm supporting several other young moms who are working on getting their fitness back too, as well as my husband, sisters and parents who are making positive changes. I'm glad to be an inspiration and encouragement to those people-their results in turn inspire me as I work on my own fitness goals! The more people who are looking to me for a good example, the easier it is to keep pushing myself.

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480

Last edited by Starbuck1517 : 09-06-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Good for you Starbuck - great to know you are inspiring others X
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Contest start and First DB Depletion workout

Day 1

Well, I was first of all amazed that I was not sore from the 16.3 mile bike ride I took on Saturday with my parents. Considering I have only done short (20-45 min max, incl warmup and cooldown) bike interval workouts in the past year or so, that is pretty good that I was able to bike an hour last weekend, and nearly 2 hours this weekend without any ill effects. Guess it goes to show that intervals will prepare you for long steady state workouts, but not necessarily the other way around!

This morning I did TT DB depletion workout A1. Can I just say I LOVE THIS WORKOUT plan already!!! I only did two circuits today, and kind of took it easy with the KB swings because I have been off those for a week and a half or so. I could probably drop the KB weight and do the 50 swings. I have a kettlestack handle so I can just adjust the plates to whatever weight I want. But I'd rather work up to 30+ reps with the 35 lb setup, so I'll try to improve every week.

BW warmup exercises 10 minutes

A) Close-stance BW squat (w) 8, 25 reps x 2 sets
B) Pull-up (w) (+45 band assistance)/8, +27/10, +27/8
C) DB chest press (w) 25lbsx2/8, 45lbsx2/12, 45lbsx2/8
D) DB split squat (w) 20lbsx2/8, 35lbsx2/10, 25lbsx2/10 (dropped weight down on second round because I was having to rest between reps for each leg because of my grip weakening)
E) KB swing (w) 20lbsx2/8, 35lbsx2/20, 35lbsx2/25
Stretched and foam roller 12 min.

I could really feel the pull-ups today. Without a doubt those are my favorite exercise ever! I am looking forward to continuing to get lighter so those get easier...I'm still using the bands for the time being so I can get into the right rep range.

It took me 18 minutes total for the warm-up (4.5 min) and two circuits (13.5). So I think I'll be on track if I plan for three circuits once I scale up to the full workout. Maybe once I get really fast I'll aim for 4 circuits. But we'll see how it goes! The workout today wiped me out.

I had a cheat meal at Mellow Mushroom this afternoon. We haven't gone there since before the 7th contest...in case you've never been there, that's a pizza chain that started in Atlanta GA. Brian and I worked down there one summer in college and we went to the original MM...we were so happy when some opened in the Triangle area of NC! Oh and we took my starting pictures tonight.

My measurements are still pretty much the same as when I ended the 8th contest. I've seen my weight dip as low as 145 on some days, and last week for the first time in nearly 2 years I was in the Normal BMI range on the Wii (which I use for official weigh-ins). My official starting weight today was 147, though. Still, I am now fitting into clothes that didn't fit me at the end of the contest, so go figure on the lack of weight change! I'm getting more of a line starting up the center of my chest, and see more of my hip bones than I could before, so I must have lost some fat in those areas.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM

I did 3 weeks on Final Phase Fat Loss and it called for more protein than I've been getting. The solution for me was to use a scoop of protein powder in my morning yogurt; that got me up in the correct zone. I was keeping calories low so I generally could not afford an extra meal nor a smoothie. I was eating 4 meals and about 1800 calories for those 3 weeks. I will say it all worked. I'll probably go back to the protein powder when I start #9 next week.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestme View Post
I did 3 weeks on Final Phase Fat Loss and it called for more protein than I've been getting. The solution for me was to use a scoop of protein powder in my morning yogurt; that got me up in the correct zone. I was keeping calories low so I generally could not afford an extra meal nor a smoothie. I was eating 4 meals and about 1800 calories for those 3 weeks. I will say it all worked. I'll probably go back to the protein powder when I start #9 next week.
That is so funny, Naomi! That is EXACTLY what I have been doing! I probably got the idea from one of your earlier posts. Before this, I had been mixing plain and vanilla organic Stonyfield yogurt in a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio with berries, mainly using the vanilla to improve the taste. Now I find I can use all or mostly plain yogurt with a half scoop of vanilla protein powder, mixed with blueberries or raspberries and some nuts. I can really get by without starchy carbs most days. Now that I've been largely off processed wheat products for a while, I find they make me feel so bloated when I do eat them. I'm glad about that, because it makes them much easier to pass up!

Today we had a fancy work buffet lunch, and I managed to keep pretty much to my eating plan, sticking to fruits, veggies, salad, grilled chicken, and skipping the plentiful bread products and decadent desserts. I did have one bite of a friend's pistashio cheesecake but it wasn't too tempting. That one bite was enough!

I had an unintentional fast yesterday from 9-4 pm, and it wasn't that bad. I went for a walk in the middle of it, and just didn't have time to eat lunch afterwards. It made for a lower calorie day (1450) overall than I've been having lately (trying to stick to 1650), but I still managed to hit my protein target of 100g that day. With the protein powder yogurt working well, I should be on track!

I'm doing DB Depletion right now, which feels a bit weird to me because I'm used to the Tu-Th-Sat workout schedule and there are two days between workouts A and B. Tomorrow is my first workout B, and I'm looking forward to it! I've got to decide if I'll stick to workout C for Saturday or if I'll replace it with a challenge workout, as that's another variation you can do. I may take another crack at the Addiction challenge I haven't tried in a few weeks. I've been doing my 30 minutes of off day exercise, but it doesn't feel like much compared to the workout and intervals from Big 5 and Big 6 circuits. The one upside of less total sessions of intense exercise is that I feel less hungry, so it is possible to keep my calories lower without it being a stretch.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm really enjoying your thoughts about workouts.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Ive also been adding protein powder to my yoghurt - i use fage total 0 or 2% and it tastes yummy topped with raspberries and blueberries! Feels like a really high cal unhealthy pudding but isnt so no guilt!!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Day 4 of TTTC #9

This morning I did DB depletion workout B. I only did 2 circuits through but that was plenty!

10 min BW warm-up

A) DB RDL (w) 25lbsx2/8, 50lbsx2/12 reps x 2 sets
B) DB shoulder press (w) 15lbsx2/8, 30lbsx2/12 reps, 20lbsx2/10 reps
C) Step-up (no weight) (w) 8, 12 x 2 x 2 sets
D) Renegade row (w) 15lbsx2/8, 30lbsx2/12 reps x 2 sets
E) DB tricep extension (w) 10lbsx2/8, 15lbsx2/15 reps x 2 sets
F) DB hammer curl (w) 10lbsx2/8, 20lbsx2/15 reps, 20lbsx2/10 reps + 15lbsx2/5 reps

I know this is DB depletion but I fear I am going to need to replace DB RDL with BB RDL at least while I'm not traveling. My left hand hurt a bit today holding those 50s, and going from that direct to picking up the 30s for the shoulder press was killer! It's a circuit, so there isn't supposed to be any rest time but I had to rest 15s just so I could pick up the DBs!

I am soooo happy to be back to step-ups. I really can't use weights and do them properly- BW is hard enough! I was really focusing today on my tempo on all the exercises and it was tough. I never do arm exercises, so the high rep tricep ext and hammer curl were burning!

Lately I can so clearly see my need for sleep cycling throughout the month. Sometimes it's so easy to make the 6 am wake-up call, but other times I just need more sleep and just can't make it! I have been timing my workouts so my tired week is always the first week of a new 4 week program with 1 or 2 sets. Once I get to week 3 and 4, tiredness is no longer an issue. Ah biology...love ya!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck1517 View Post
This morning I did DB depletion workout B. I only did 2 circuits through but that was plenty!

10 min BW warm-up

A) DB RDL (w) 25lbsx2/8, 50lbsx2/12 reps x 2 sets
B) DB shoulder press (w) 15lbsx2/8, 30lbsx2/12 reps, 20lbsx2/10 reps
C) Step-up (no weight) (w) 8, 12 x 2 x 2 sets
D) Renegade row (w) 15lbsx2/8, 30lbsx2/12 reps x 2 sets
E) DB tricep extension (w) 10lbsx2/8, 15lbsx2/15 reps x 2 sets
F) DB hammer curl (w) 10lbsx2/8, 20lbsx2/15 reps, 20lbsx2/10 reps + 15lbsx2/5 reps

I know this is DB depletion but I fear I am going to need to replace DB RDL with BB RDL at least while I'm not traveling. My left hand hurt a bit today holding those 50s, and going from that direct to picking up the 30s for the shoulder press was killer! It's a circuit, so there isn't supposed to be any rest time but I had to rest 15s just so I could pick up the DBs!

I am soooo happy to be back to step-ups. I really can't use weights and do them properly- BW is hard enough! I was really focusing today on my tempo on all the exercises and it was tough. I never do arm exercises, so the high rep tricep ext and hammer curl were burning!

Lately I can so clearly see my need for sleep cycling throughout the month. Sometimes it's so easy to make the 6 am wake-up call, but other times I just need more sleep and just can't make it! I have been timing my workouts so my tired week is always the first week of a new 4 week program with 1 or 2 sets. Once I get to week 3 and 4, tiredness is no longer an issue. Ah biology...love ya!
I hear ya on that.....
2A) DB RDL (8)...75# DB's...X 9,9,9
2B) DB Push Press (6) 30#... DB's X 11,11,11....one of my sets from 2k6