TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Still kicking up here in the land of the gray. Today is, thankfully, the last crummy weather day we are supposed to have for awhile. They're calling for sunnier skies in the coming days, with highs starting around 60F and rising to 70F over the weekend. Hurray! Looks like the sunshine I've been craving so desperately is on its way! I can't wait to get outside and walk again!

In the meantime, I've been making the most of my time indoors and have picked up the Couch to 5K program again. I originally started it in August, but had to set it aside when my knees starting giving me some feedback too loud to ignore. I have very little cartilage left in them (them make all kinds of lovely scrunchy sounds when I squat down to even pick something up off of the floor), so they didn't like all of the impact of running outdoors on the asphalt...never mind the concrete. OUCH! But now that I have the treadmill, I've been at it again. I noticed a bit of stiffness this morning, but nothing too bad. I'm hoping the cushion of the machine and the strength I'm gaining in the surrounding muscles through TT will help in the long run, as I'd really like to be able to run a full 5k (for the first time in my life...I've never been able to run up til now).

Food wise I did smashingly yesterday right up til after dinner. I had good intentions, and even brushed and flossed my teeth with the intent of giving up the evening protein bar snack (which is essentially my chocolate fix for the day). But by 9:30 p.m. the urge to eat something sweet was so loud that I ended up eating FOUR of the leftover berry soy protein bars in my pantry. (These are left over from when I was doing the weight loss program with supplements...) Unfortunately, many of the supplements are sweeter tasting and I think they're becoming my binge item in much the same way that candy and ice cream used to be in my much heavier days. I'm seriously thinking that, perhaps, I just need to chuck the lot out. I don't need them any more as I'm eating whole foods now. And, like Craig often says, if you've got it in the house, chances are you'll eat it. Used to be that I could use the bars just as a meal replacement and they didn't cause an issue. But now...it's like a "healthier" version of a candy bar for me.

Trying again today...so far I've made it through with no gum, so that's a win. (Made it through all of yesterday without a single piece as well.) I have a feeling that if I just force myself to get through the first few days without the sweet treat in the evening that will be the worst of it and I'll be able to suck it up and move on. But fighting the urge to get to that point is TOUGH.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post
Still kicking up here in the land of the gray. Today is, thankfully, the last crummy weather day we are supposed to have for awhile. They're calling for sunnier skies in the coming days, with highs starting around 60F and rising to 70F over the weekend. Hurray! Looks like the sunshine I've been craving so desperately is on its way! I can't wait to get outside and walk again!

In the meantime, I've been making the most of my time indoors and have picked up the Couch to 5K program again. I originally started it in August, but had to set it aside when my knees starting giving me some feedback too loud to ignore. I have very little cartilage left in them (them make all kinds of lovely scrunchy sounds when I squat down to even pick something up off of the floor), so they didn't like all of the impact of running outdoors on the asphalt...never mind the concrete. OUCH! But now that I have the treadmill, I've been at it again. I noticed a bit of stiffness this morning, but nothing too bad. I'm hoping the cushion of the machine and the strength I'm gaining in the surrounding muscles through TT will help in the long run, as I'd really like to be able to run a full 5k (for the first time in my life...I've never been able to run up til now).

Food wise I did smashingly yesterday right up til after dinner. I had good intentions, and even brushed and flossed my teeth with the intent of giving up the evening protein bar snack (which is essentially my chocolate fix for the day). But by 9:30 p.m. the urge to eat something sweet was so loud that I ended up eating FOUR of the leftover berry soy protein bars in my pantry. (These are left over from when I was doing the weight loss program with supplements...) Unfortunately, many of the supplements are sweeter tasting and I think they're becoming my binge item in much the same way that candy and ice cream used to be in my much heavier days. I'm seriously thinking that, perhaps, I just need to chuck the lot out. I don't need them any more as I'm eating whole foods now. And, like Craig often says, if you've got it in the house, chances are you'll eat it. Used to be that I could use the bars just as a meal replacement and they didn't cause an issue. But now...it's like a "healthier" version of a candy bar for me.

Trying again today...so far I've made it through with no gum, so that's a win. (Made it through all of yesterday without a single piece as well.) I have a feeling that if I just force myself to get through the first few days without the sweet treat in the evening that will be the worst of it and I'll be able to suck it up and move on. But fighting the urge to get to that point is TOUGH.
There are much worse things to binge on than a protein bar! But at least this shows your diet is getting healthier and healthier all the time.

And yey for sunny weather! It's totally peeing down here
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Hey Jen-
I think you're right about the affect of the changing seasons. Eating soups usually helps me, as well as fresh seasonal foods. If you really want something sweet, there are a lot of ways to make apples and pumpkin into fairly healthy desserts - just cooking them with a little splenda and a lot of cinnamon works for me. I have a recipe somewhere for a high protein pumpkin pie (no crust) that is really good too.
Hope you are doing well!

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post

Hi Jen

keep up the great work, am sure you will reach your 5k goal in no time, well done on getting back on the treadmill. I used to do a lot of running, but find it really tough now, am too hoping that the strengh building with TT will help. Don't think too much about the protein bars, it's over and done with now.

good luck for the next week. Cheers KT
Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 AM

Hey Jen-
Just checking in, I hope you are doing well!

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 10-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi Jen,

How are you doing?

Even if things aren't going so well, let us know - we may be able to help!!

How you just too busy celebrating your successes though!!