TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 26th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2016, 11:48 AM

Default Sugar-Free & SWIM in 2016 (at least for 12 weeks, plus caveats...)

So, these are reasonable habit/process goals for this next 12-week contest. Both are heavy on my heart and mind the last few weeks and this is the perfect time to be accountable about them. I am going to daily update here on these, especially the sugar; if I don't, I'm going to fail. I might even post 2-3 times a day, especially if I have a victory in this area, or whatever. I can post from my phone and computer, so no reason to NOT do this... my TTFT... TT Forum Tweeting... that's a bad name, will work on it

It will be an awesome process, going to have to develop some new habits, sweat out some old ones, etc.

1. I will not eat sugar for the next contest...
a. except from natural sources
b. stevia is free game
c. avoiding the Others... sucralose, aspartame, etc... but not freaking out about them. I don't like the taste, mostly, and struggle with the processed side of them
d. there will be only one, if necessary, scheduled one; ex. if we are going to mom's house, she's going to bake or do something similar, but we'll know this before we go.

2. I will improve my swimming distance/endurance & add at least one new facet...
a. I'm at 750 yards now, would like to get that to at least 1,150 (just 16 more laps!)
b. I want to add either one more stroke (breast is what I'm told by my "coach", another director here who is a master swimmer who is helping me learn and improve) OR the flip kick (the move where you gracefully turn around rather than slam into the wall and have to restart momentum)

If I have a great workout I might post it, but otherwise that's a pretty standard habit so not too concerned about that...

...but sugar. Oh, that beast has a grip on me and it's time to really make an intentional, accountability-driven attack on it.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrothaMannP11911 View Post
So, these are reasonable habit/process goals for this next 12-week contest. Both are heavy on my heart and mind the last few weeks and this is the perfect time to be accountable about them. I am going to daily update here on these, especially the sugar; if I don't, I'm going to fail. I might even post 2-3 times a day, especially if I have a victory in this area, or whatever. I can post from my phone and computer, so no reason to NOT do this... my TTFT... TT Forum Tweeting... that's a bad name, will work on it

It will be an awesome process, going to have to develop some new habits, sweat out some old ones, etc.

1. I will not eat sugar for the next contest...
a. except from natural sources
b. stevia is free game
c. avoiding the Others... sucralose, aspartame, etc... but not freaking out about them. I don't like the taste, mostly, and struggle with the processed side of them
d. there will be only one, if necessary, scheduled one; ex. if we are going to mom's house, she's going to bake or do something similar, but we'll know this before we go.

2. I will improve my swimming distance/endurance & add at least one new facet...
a. I'm at 750 yards now, would like to get that to at least 1,150 (just 16 more laps!)
b. I want to add either one more stroke (breast is what I'm told by my "coach", another director here who is a master swimmer who is helping me learn and improve) OR the flip kick (the move where you gracefully turn around rather than slam into the wall and have to restart momentum)

If I have a great workout I might post it, but otherwise that's a pretty standard habit so not too concerned about that...

...but sugar. Oh, that beast has a grip on me and it's time to really make an intentional, accountability-driven attack on it.
Let me give you some encouragement on the sugar experiment. In 2013 or 2014 (can't remember), I did a 30-day experiment where the only sugar I allowed in my diet was fruit. That meant no artificial sweeteners, honey and good lord even syrup (yep, a full month without pancakes!).

That's the only thing I changed and I dropped 9 pounds in a month. Insane, I know.

And I'm a guy that LOVES sweets. If I can do it, you can. You got this!
Old 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitfield View Post
Let me give you some encouragement on the sugar experiment. In 2013 or 2014 (can't remember), I did a 30-day experiment where the only sugar I allowed in my diet was fruit. That meant no artificial sweeteners, honey and good lord even syrup (yep, a full month without pancakes!).

That's the only thing I changed and I dropped 9 pounds in a month. Insane, I know.

Thanks, Mike. Great encouragement. I've read that story before, definitely played a part in shaping this 12-week goal.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:34 PM

Default 4/26

Great swim this morning. I've got so many "coaches" around here, lifeguards, director, etc. who want to see me succeed at the pool, weight loss. Today was only about 600 as I ran out of time and had to work ugh. Today's tip; you don't have to stop at the wall, you can just float on your back when you get tired so you can keep moving.

I LIKE my hanging out on the wall, though!

I'm getting told to start learning a new stroke; it's 50/50 breaststroke & backstroke. Both will be a change, for sure, from the freestyle stroke.
-----
Sugar... I started consciously being aware of it this weekend, not on the plan yet, how often I would just grab a vanilla wafer (or 5) from the cabinet; we'd bought them for something else and didn't get used so... can't let them go to waste, right? The box was only $1.79, seriously, it's okay to toss those cookies.

Today's the first day.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Amazing story and encouragement, Mikey, thank yoU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitfield View Post

Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Administrator

out of sight, out of mind.

Keep everything out of reach. Have your wife hide everything sugary that is in the house.

Hopefully we can get Catherine Gordon to stop by...she has had a great journey overcoming sugar.

Stay strong, my friend!

Quote:
Great swim this morning. I've got so many "coaches" around here, lifeguards, director, etc. who want to see me succeed at the pool, weight loss. Today was only about 600 as I ran out of time and had to work ugh. Today's tip; you don't have to stop at the wall, you can just float on your back when you get tired so you can keep moving.

I LIKE my hanging out on the wall, though!

I'm getting told to start learning a new stroke; it's 50/50 breaststroke & backstroke. Both will be a change, for sure, from the freestyle stroke.
-----
Sugar... I started consciously being aware of it this weekend, not on the plan yet, how often I would just grab a vanilla wafer (or 5) from the cabinet; we'd bought them for something else and didn't get used so... can't let them go to waste, right? The box was only $1.79, seriously, it's okay to toss those cookies.

Today's the first day.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
out of sight, out of mind.

Keep everything out of reach. Have your wife hide everything sugary that is in the house.

Hopefully we can get Catherine Gordon to stop by...she has had a great journey overcoming sugar.

Stay strong, my friend!
Yeah man, that's it. I am taking all the encouragement big time... Keep it out of sight and at best OUT OF THE HOUSE.

I'm going to make sure I get enough food, too, to help combat the "snackies" that come upon me; need some more healthy fats for sure to feel full.

I feel like an addict starting to come down and get withdrawals, everyone. I started it slowly this weekend and today was hardcore focus...

Sweet baby Jesus, save me, either come back soon or make sugar taste like horse radish.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM

I was challenged by one of the lifeguards today to get 35 laps in... 70 lengths of the pool... over the 12 weeks. She said that is extremely doable with my plan.

That is equal to one mile.

I am doing 3 days of swimming and 2 days of TT bodyweight and legwork, as the swimming is mostly upperbody work right now.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Made it.

Phew.

So many temptations. Walked into today at the YMCA (Healthy Living is our #2 value, right?!) and there is a box of donut holes.

@#%$#$@#$@#@@#@$$ it made this Christian Mann think some angry thoughts, let me tell you.

Still some sources I'm deciding about, like sugar in PB or honey, BBQ sauce, etc... Can we afford to let me eat a completely separate diet from everyone else? Not really. But I'm going hard right now with the big ones so let me go a week at it and see what happens... Donuts, cake, ice cream, etc.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Made it.

Phew.

So many temptations. Walked into today at the YMCA (Healthy Living is our #2 value, right?!) and there is a box of donut holes.

@#%$#$@#$@#@@#@$$ it made this Christian Mann think some angry thoughts, let me tell you.

Still some sources I'm deciding about, like sugar in PB or honey, BBQ sauce, etc... Can we afford to let me eat a completely separate diet from everyone else? Not really. But I'm going hard right now with the big ones so let me go a week at it and see what happens... Donuts, cake, ice cream, etc.
You can cut the obvious stuff.......like donut holes!!!lol and candies and desserts with sugar...........the less obvious like BBQ sauce, you could use in a limited amount.......or..........find something else to put on or in......If you look at food as FUEL, then some of the stuff you put in things, don't look quite as "bad". I put yellow mustard on baked potatoes......maybe an avocado in a bowl of oatmeal...........maybe oatmeal in soup, instead of soda crackers........dip carrots in Dijon mustard.....coconut oil in with oatmeal and fruit with cinnamon....if you put a lot of cinnamon in with cottage cheese, it has a sweet taste...weird stuff like that.....it is ok to me and makes others "gag" just thinking about it.....lol