TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Default Taking 2010 Out Strong

2010 has been a year of firsts for me. So why stop now?! Count me in among the participants of Craig's 9th Transformation Contest.

I'm relatively new to TT and to this site, having just started my first TT workout (Beginner's) two weeks ago. So far I LOVE it. Honestly, I think it's going to change my life by helping me take things to the next level.

Here's my story:
I'm a 5'7", 34 year old female, weighing in at 167 pounds. That's nearly 70 pounds less than I weighed 10 months ago.

I've always struggled with my weight, but really had to do something about it last fall when I developed plantar fasciitis in both of my feet. (This was after a hard year of caring for a sick parent and, frankly, not caring for myself.) 236 pounds was just too much on my frame...and on my mind. I realized that I needed help making this happen, and enlisted the resources of a fantastic local doctor and her staff who specialize in obesity and weight loss issues. With their help, I've shed nearly 30% of my body weight through diet, exercise, and positive behavioral changes.

At this point, I would still like to lose about another 30 pounds (135 is my goal at the moment).

I'm planning to tackle this and the 9th Transformation Challege through:

Exercise:
- I power walk four miles (at about a 15 minute mile) four days a week. On days when the weather doesn't cooperate, I usually use my PreCor EFX machine for an hour instead.
- I do TT three times a week, incorporating my strength and HIIT training on the same days.
- I work hard to incorporate extra movement (steps, stairs, etc.) during my work days which are, otherwise, fairly sendentary due to a desk job. Sometimes this means going to the bathroom furthest away in the building, taking a 20 minute stroll around our parking lot at lunch, or going the "long way" to make copies or refill my water bottle. I make it a habit to get up from my desk at least once an hour.

Nutrition:
- I continue to work with my doctor and nutritionists to adjust my diet for an increasingly more active lifestyle.
- I aim to take in 1200 calories on walking days, and 1400 calories on TT days.
- While not obsessive about macronutrient ratios, I do watch them. I typically aim to get 40-45% carbs, 30-40% protein, and 20-30% fat in my diet. These ratios seem to help keep my hunger at bay and my blood sugar in check.
- I typically eat five or six small meals a day (usually breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack in the late afternoon and one after dinner). Again, I find this helps keep my blood sugar stable and the "binge monster" at bay.
- At this point in time, I refrain from eating all grains, sugar, and starchy carbohydrates (and have done so for the last 10 months).
- Instead, my diet consists of: lean proteins of the meat and dairy variety (fish, chicken, turkey, pork, beef, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, fat free Greek yogurt, low fat cheese (such as feta, goat, etc.)), fruits, and vegetables.
- I also sparingly use some of the meal replacements my doctor offers. I make it a habit to eat completely clean, unprocessed foods when possible, but would rather use a slightly processed, balanced meal replacement than find myself making poor choices due to a unplanned wrench in my schedule, etc.
- I drink about 100oz of water a day, and take a multivitamin, calcium/vitamin D, and fish oil supplement daily, as well.

Some of my goals for this 12 week challenge:
- Get down to 150 pounds.
- Decrease my body fat. (I'm not sure to what percentage is reasonable yet. Last time I measured, I estimated it to be somewhere around 33%...YIKES!)
- Be able to complete at least two honest-to-goodness, real push-ups. (Sadly, I've never been able to do one in my entire life!)

I will start the challenge on the official start date of Sunday, September 5, 2010, and will take my measurements and photos (*gulp*) then.

Looking forward to reaching new goals in the coming weeks and to taking 2010 out strong!

-Jen
Old 09-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Congrats on your past success Jen! Looking forward to your future results.

Craig
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM

WOW, a 70 pound weight loss!! Congrats on your results so far!! Looking forward to your succes!!
Ion
It could've been me, it could've been me..."
Meat Loaf- A kiss is a terrible thing to waste
Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Wow! Well done! You'll do great!
Is that enough calories for all the exercise you get? And are you doing HIIT?
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Hopefully it'll be enough calories...but we'll see. I met with one of my nutritionists this morning and that's where she'd like me to start at least. I was on a very low calorie diet at the start of my plan (800 to 1000 cals a day), when I wasn't doing much activity at all (in part due to the foot injury I had). As a result, there's some concern that my metabolism may have slowed in adjustment. Her plan now is to ramp me up in calories slowly, over a period of time. The idea being that it'll give me the increasing calories/nutrition I need without causing me to gain. If/as we find I need more, we'll increase it accordingly, a little at a time. But I guess when you're coming off of these extremely low cal plans you have to be careful about how quickly you raise the caloric intake.

And, yes, I am doing HIIT (3x a week in accordance with the TT plan). And it's on those days that I've been instructed to eat the most: 1400 to 1500 a day to start.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I look forward to getting to know each of you better as we take on the challenge!

-Jen
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM

I 'd like to add my own congratulations on the your results so far - 70 lb is impressive.

Looks like you've got everything in place to reach your goal for the contest - your plan looks spot on to get rid of the last 30 lb.

It's great to have you along for the contest and I look forward to seeing you at the finish line!