TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 21st Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Default My Road to Advanced Calisthenics: Becoming a Master of my Bodyweight!

After giving it some thought I have decided to jump on board and put a challenge to myself over the next 12 weeks in my transformation journey.

I stated in my Workout Journal that I will continue following my quest for perfecting my form and adding advanced calisthenic movements to my growing arsenal of bodyweight exercises that I am now able to perform.

Last year April when I began my journey into fitness, doing a Muscle-Up or Pistol Squat seemed like a distant dream...Well, over time that dream has become my reality as I progress in advanced calisthenics, I am now able to perform Muscle-Ups and Pistol Squats for reps...my numbers need work but its a start of greater things to come.

At 38yrs of age and a list of injuries I could write a book about, I have proved to myself that through the right progression, determination, mind set and over a period of time you can reach your goals.

My interest lies in bodyweight strength through range of motion...becoming a Master of my Bodyweight.

Over the next 12 weeks my challenge to myself is trying to master the Front and Back Lever...although I am able to perform these moves, my form and technique need a lot of work; especially my Back Lever, it's got some way to go before it's horizontal. I can only hold each movement for a couple of seconds as these 2 movements are true feats of bodyweight strength.

After 12 weeks I hope to be able to hold the Front and Back lever for a few reps of at least 4 second holds.

To add to this challenge there are some Rep numbers I would like to achieve amongst my weekly training. I have come to realise that the only way I am going to get good at Muscle-Ups is by doing Muscle-Ups or Pistol Squats is by doing Pistol Squats etc.

My handstand practice and Crowstand to Handstand Push-Up will not count towards my HSPU numbers below.

12 weeks:

760 - Pistol Squats (380 / leg)
440 - 1 Arm Push-Ups (220 / arm)
720 - Strict Pull-ups
300 - Muscle-ups
720 - Straight Bar Dips & Parallel Bar Dips
300 - Handstand Pushups
240 - Dragon Flags

Nutrition log
Workout Journal

Last edited by craig.mitch316 : 08-28-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added Dragon Flags
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM

Awesome Craig. You've turned into a beast! Much respect
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM

My workout reps from yesterday will count towards my total rep numbers over the next 12 weeks.

12 weeks:

- (15 / leg) 30 Total

- (9 / arm) 18 Total

720 - Strict Pull-Ups
- 32 Total

300 - Muscle-ups
- 9 Total

- 20 Total

300 - Handstand Push-Ups
- 9 Total

240 - Dragon Flags
- 0 Total

Nutrition log
Workout Journal

Last edited by craig.mitch316 : 08-28-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added Dragon Flags
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post
Awesome Craig. You've turned into a beast! Much respect
Cheers Mate! Something just clicked with me and advanced Calisthenics...I really enjoy working out the way I do.

I have been looking into it a fair bit and will probably build myself a few Pull-Up bars built in a 2m x 2m square wooden frame and set at different heights so I can continue to work out at home. I want to be able to use my rings so one of the bars will be about 3m off the ground... I want to start getting better with my gymnastic rings...I'll throw in some parallel bars there too and I have everything I need to continue this journey in the comfort of my own home ..

I see each small victory I achieve a bigger piece of the puzzle of the journey I am on.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Saturday 30 August 2014

My workout reps from today.

12 weeks:

# 760 - Pistol Squats (380 / leg)

- (10 / leg) 20 today + 30 = 50 Total

# 440 - 1 Arm Push-Ups (220 / arm)

- (10 / arm) 20 today + 18 = 38 Total

# 720 - Strict Pull-Ups

- 20 today + 32 = 52 Total

#300 - Muscle-ups

- 16 today + 9 = 25 Total

# 720 - Straight Bar Dips & Parallel Bar Dips

- 35 today + 20 = 55 Total

# 300 - Handstand Push-Ups

- 12 today + 9 = 21 Total

# 240 - Dragon Flags
- 15 today + 0 = 15 Total

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM

You're kids are going to think you are the coolest dad ever! (until they are 13 and then might think you're a moron for a while! They come back around) I purchased a suspension trainer yesterday. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can do some of the cool body weight stuff. I'm going to get my boys going on it too. They are on the 7th grade football team this year.(Lord help me, but I really do not like football!) Do you use a suspension trainer in your workouts?
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 08-31-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
Do you use a suspension trainer in your workouts?
Hi Leslie, I do...I haven't for a while though since I have spent more time on my hand balancing skills and the parallettes.

I only use it for bodyweight rows and suspended push-ups, either from my door frame pull-up bar or the pull-up bar at the park. I need to start adding bodyweight rows back into my workouts . I also sometimes use them for suspended jack knifes too.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Administrator

This is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
After giving it some thought I have decided to jump on board and put a challenge to myself over the next 12 weeks in my transformation journey.

I stated in my Workout Journal that I will continue following my quest for perfecting my form and adding advanced calisthenic movements to my growing arsenal of bodyweight exercises that I am now able to perform.

Last year April when I began my journey into fitness, doing a Muscle-Up or Pistol Squat seemed like a distant dream...Well, over time that dream has become my reality as I progress in advanced calisthenics, I am now able to perform Muscle-Ups and Pistol Squats for reps...my numbers need work but its a start of greater things to come.

At 38yrs of age and a list of injuries I could write a book about, I have proved to myself that through the right progression, determination, mind set and over a period of time you can reach your goals.

My interest lies in bodyweight strength through range of motion...becoming a Master of my Bodyweight.

Over the next 12 weeks my challenge to myself is trying to master the Front and Back Lever...although I am able to perform these moves, my form and technique need a lot of work; especially my Back Lever, it's got some way to go before it's horizontal. I can only hold each movement for a couple of seconds as these 2 movements are true feats of bodyweight strength.

After 12 weeks I hope to be able to hold the Front and Back lever for a few reps of at least 4 second holds.

To add to this challenge there are some Rep numbers I would like to achieve amongst my weekly training. I have come to realise that the only way I am going to get good at Muscle-Ups is by doing Muscle-Ups or Pistol Squats is by doing Pistol Squats etc.

My handstand practice and Crowstand to Handstand Push-Up will not count towards my HSPU numbers below.

12 weeks:

720 - Strict Pull-ups
300 - Muscle-ups
300 - Handstand Pushups
240 - Dragon Flags
Old 09-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
This is awesome.
Thanks, Craig. I found motivation through your transformation thread and thought what a great way to improve some of my skills over a 12 week period.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Default Monday 1 September 2014

My workout reps from today.

12 weeks:

# 760 - Pistol Squats (380 / leg)

- 50 Total

# 440 - 1 Arm Push-Ups (220 / arm)

- (9 / arm) 18 today + 38 = 56 Total

# 720 - Strict Pull-Ups

- 52 Total