TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 6th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Thumbs up Gordon's Transformation

Gordon Buhagiar

Turbulence Training 6th Transformation Contest
Trials and tribulations in my journey towards fat-loss and fitnessÖ

August 31, 2009: Despite working out three times a week I was still overweight! I had fallen into that old trap, "I'm working out, I need to eat more!" Smack! The proverbial hand of common sense slapped me hard across my puffed cheeks as I stared at my pot-belly in semi-disbelief. "Is this what I've been working out for all that time?", I asked myself, quickly trying to find some kind of imaginary excuse: sunbathing too much perhaps? There was no point in crying over spilt milk. I had to face the facts: I needed to become more disciplined in my workouts and sort out my nutrition, big time!

The TT 6th Transformation Contest announcement reached my email inbox at the right momentÖ No more excuses! I had the opportunity to set myself a challenge, to clean up and lean out in 12 weeks, with the help of Turbulence Training and the wealth of info exchanged daily on the forum at ttmembers.com.

So I did.

I started off by planning my TT workouts, which until then I had been following with a somewhat casual attitude. As I was already in the middle of the Turbuence Training for Fatloss manual I decided to finish off the workouts as presented in this manual for the contest, starting from the Original Turbulence Training Workout, moving on to TT2K3, then TT2K4 and finishing with TT2K5 on 21 November 2009. In the last month I added TT 3 minute arms, the "3 exercises, once per week" version of which I did on Saturdays and TT 6 Minute Abs, which I did on off-days, following the Turbulence Training Transformation Tip which suggested that I should be able to do a 2 minute plank and at least 45 seconds for each side-plank in the name of back-health. I proceeded to log all my meals and daily weight on fitday and began to post my workouts in the forum, as advised by Craig. This made me feel accountable to all the people in the forum so I could not take a casual attitude to my workouts.

For my nutritional makeover I looked into a variety of different pre-set meal plans and tips to lose the fat and finally settled for Eat-Stop-Eat, combined with the useful tips in Isabel De Los Rios's Advanced Abdominal Nutrition which I tried to apply to the vast majority of my meals. I could not find the time to prepare my daily meals so the combination of these two suited me fine. I had already been on ESE for a couple of months but was still being rather lazy (or should I say lousy!) with my nutrition on eating days so I decided to really clean up. At the beginning I set myself the goal to lean out to 12% bodyfat by the end of the contest. When I measured my bodyfat level on 31 August 2009, using the Omron bodyfat monitor, the reading was 18% (although it was probably higher as my accu-measure callipers indicated at the time, via the iliac crest reading, that this was actually in the region of 23-24%, with a calliper reading of 22 mm, however, in denial of the truth of the matter, I opted to base myself on the less scathing omron reading at the beginning of the contest. As the contest progressed and I began to lose fat I switched to the accu-measure Ė the readings had become somewhat more fathomable).

Each day as I worked out with a new-found discipline and, dare I say, addiction to the Turbulence Training workouts (a new program every 4 weeks Ė kept me wondering what was next!), I challenged myself to eat as lean as possible while dining at the office canteen. Although the canteen has a set menu I had the flexibility to opt for extra servings of heart-healthy veggies instead of fries or rice so I did so at every occasion. For dessert, the hardest part as I've got a serious sweet-tooth, I would take fruit or organic yogurt and limited my sins to one or two 10 gram pieces of dark chocolate.

The results of my perseverance soon began to pay off. My bodyfat decreased to 12% by week 10 of the contest.

I had reached my objective, 2 weeks short of the end of the contest! What should I do now? I asked myself.

It would have been easy to stick to 12%, I gathered, by fasting once a week and keeping my diet lean. But somehow I felt that that would be too easyÖ So I set myself a new goal, to go down to 10% bodyfat by 21 November 2009. I was confident in my ability to do this, based on my newfound nutritional and athletic self-confidence that I gained from the previous 10 weeks on the Turbulence Training contest, posting in the forums and reading dietary advice. In order to make myself all the more accountable for my new goal, in addition to posting it on my blog on the ttmembers.com 6 th Transformation Contest forum, I booked a photo shoot with a professional photographer for 21 November 2009. She would take the "after" photo for me. I had to look good! In order to cut down that extra 2% bodyfat I decided to adapt my fasting regime to include a third fast each week in the remaining two weeks. I felt I still had enough bodyfat left to afford the extra "sacrifice", besides, after all the rejuvenating, beneficial effects of fasting I had read about I thought it was worth a try. And I managed! By the morning of 21 November 2009 my accu-measure bodyfat callipers gave me the reading of 9.97% (on Tom Venuto's extended chart for bodyfat readings at the iliac crest using the Accu-measure callipers). My Omron electronic bf monitor concurred with the caliper readings, with a verdict of 10%.

Thanks to Turbulence Training I managed to find the necessary motivation to workout and clean up my diet to the point where I was proud at the new physical image of that man in the mirror, and all this in merely 12 weeks. Imagine what I can achieve in the next 6 months!

Stats:
31 August 2009 21 November 2009 Difference

Weight 75.7kg 67.2kg - 8.5kg
Waist 33.5 inches 30 inches - 3.5 inches
Bodyfat (Omron) 18% 10% - 8%
Fat mass 13.63kg 6.72kg - 6.91kg
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Default Jason's continuing transformation....

Iím currently on a camping holiday, typing this up and hopefully uploading photos via wireless internet. Isnít modern technology convenient!?

I began my second transformation contest on Monday the 21st of September, 2009. In my first competition, I started before my birthday on the 19th of September and quickly learnt that was a mistake, so this time I waited until the more realistic time of after my birthday to begin TC6.

I feel a bit guilty doing another competition since I did so well in TC3, having come second. I donít want to get in the way of someone else having the opportunity to be in the top 3, but with the offer of 6 months extra membership for free, I just couldnít resist!

It turns out that this competition was very good for me. Since December last year, I have kept up the TT pretty consistently, but I did slacken off for 2 or 3 months in the middle of the year, and this cost me dearly. Iím the sort of person who can put weight on very quickly if I donít watch my diet, and for a couple of months I was slack with my training and my diet. I have learned that for me to live a healthy lifestyle, I have to have the competition mentality at all times. I absolutely must watch my diet and not kid myself by saying ďIím in a bulking up phase.Ē Iím not and I donít ever want to be a bodybuilder, constantly yo-yoing between extreme fat percentages.

This time around, I was more relaxed than in TC3. Iíd done this before so I knew what to expect. This time I was doing it for continued life-long health and for 6 months more membership on this invaluable forum, rather than really going for the cash prize Ė although, that still would be nice!

I had been training regularly so my strength levels were much higher this time than when I began TC3. Last time I began with intermediate, then progressed to the original TT workout and ended with Bodyweight cardio version 1.0. This time I began with TT for reformed meatheads and followed that up with TT reconstruction and then ended with Bodyweight cardio version 2.0. Iíve decided to continue with bodyweight cardio 2.0 for another 2 weeks whilst Iím camping, since it requires no equipment and gives me a great workout.

I really enjoyed the reformed meatheads programme. It had a nice mix of heavy lifting, including deadlifts, bench presses and squats. I have to admit that I made a mistake moving onto the reconstruction programme. I guess I just liked the idea of only 2 supersets instead of 3 for the time saving aspect. This time around, time was of the essence due to my heavy work schedule and all the complications of buying my first house during September and October. But I didnít use this as an excuse, I just got my workouts and intervals in where I could and didnít beat myself up if life messed up my workout schedule a bit, after all, I donít live to workout Ė I workout to live a better life.

As I was saying, the reconstruction programme was more for people looking to just sort of realign and reconcile themselves after intense training. I was trying to build muscle and burn fat in the quickest amount of time possible, so I only did this programme for 3 weeks and then moved onto Bodyweight cardio 2.0. I loved bodyweight cardio 1.0 so much that I just couldnít pass up on this. I really like how the bodyweight exercise circuits combined with short burst intense interval training, just seems to Ďstreamlineí my physique and just kind of leans me out instead of bulking me up.

My times improved massively throughout the weeks of bodyweight and now Iím hitting new best times whilst Iím camping, with curious kids watching me train and others asking to join in. I think an audience helps to minimise the number of pained expressions and groans of anguish I emit. I havenít had to worry about doing all my workouts at home in my garage gym. In workout A I have gone from a time of over 4 minutes to complete the circuit once, to a PB of 3minutes flat and then I complete the circuit 5 times with my worst time being 3 minutes and 22 seconds on the last round. In workout B I have gone from a time of over 9 minutes to a PB of 6 minutes and 29 seconds! I was stoked with that one. For workout C I have gone from a time of over 10 minutes to a PB of 7 minutes and 36 seconds - another confidence boosting improvement. I also liked challenge workouts to keep me competitive. I completed the bodyweight in 5 minutes and 36 seconds back in November.

I kept my diet simple with lots of oats or egg white omelettes for breakfast. I often had tuna, chicken or ham and salad sandwiches for lunch with a hard-boiled egg on occasion. Dinner was usually tuna or chicken breast with vegies or salad. I ended all my meals with a variety of fruit. There are so many nice fruits to choose from. Itís like dessert for me. I have learned that I can train myself to enjoy food that Iíve hated for my whole life. I actually eat raw capsicum (peppers) by choice now. I detested them before. I like asparagus, broccoli and squash. I truly believe that when you remove added sugar from your diet, your taste buds lose their addiction to sweet foods, thus alleviating cravings for processed and unhealthy food. I donít crave junk food when Iím eating healthy most of the time. I just look forward to 2 or 3 reward meals each week and consume them with no guilt whatsoever. Of course, itís not so easy to eat well whilst camping amongst high fat barbecue breakfasts and pancakes, but I make sure I workout everyday no matter what.

I began the competition at a weight of 78.6kg on Monday the 21st of September, 2009. I really only wanted to lose around 6 or 7 kg. On Thursday the 3rd of December, 2009, 10 weeks and 3 days later, I weighed in at 70.5 kg. This was a loss of 8.1 kg. I surpassed my goal by 2kg and was very pleased with this, especially since I wasnít going at it Ďhardcoreí and cutting out fruit of carbohydrates from my diet in the last couple of weeks like some bodybuilders do. It took some willpower to ignore the scales. They werenít very kind to me for most of the competition. I lost a couple of kilos quickly as I depleted the usual excess water and glycogen storage. Then it took over a month to lose another kilo! I was quite annoyed by the numbers but I just kept focusing on the mirror. I could SEE the changes coming. Fat was reducing in various parts of my body and my clothes were getting too big. I pushed through the numbers plateau and eventually the numbers caught up with the mirror! I just wish I had measured myself this time because Iím sure I lost quite a few inches.

This time I am determined to not get slack with my training or my diet again. It has saddened me to see all the past successes from previous competitions get out of shape (myself included) and have to kick themselves in the butt to get back to where they know they are most happy. Letís not slip back into our old, lazy, unproductive habits ever again! Turbulence trainers unite!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre 1.jpg (86.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Pre 2.jpg (81.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Post 1.jpg (80.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Post 2.jpg (28.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Post 3.jpg (82.0 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Jason Davie : 12-10-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: More Pictures
Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Some more pictures....

Thanks for your patience. I wish I knew how to put 2 photos next to each other like all of you techno heads! I've got no idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre 3.jpg (94.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Post 4.jpg (82.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Post 5.jpg (94.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Post 6.jpg (76.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Post 7.jpg (79.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 AM

Default Re-posting my pics in larger format

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhaggo View Post
Gordon Buhagiar

August 31, 2009: Despite working out three times a week I was still overweight! I had fallen into that old trap, "I'm working out, I need to eat more!" Smack! The proverbial hand of common sense slapped me hard across my puffed cheeks as I stared at my pot-belly in semi-disbelief. "Is this what I've been working out for all that time?", I asked myself, quickly trying to find some kind of imaginary excuse: sunbathing too much perhaps? There was no point in crying over spilt milk. I had to face the facts: I needed to become more disciplined in my workouts and sort out my nutrition, big time!

The TT 6th Transformation Contest announcement reached my email inbox at the right momentÖ No more excuses! I had the opportunity to set myself a challenge, to clean up and lean out in 12 weeks, with the help of Turbulence Training and the wealth of info exchanged daily on the forum at ttmembers.com.

So I did.

I started off by planning my TT workouts, which until then I had been following with a somewhat casual attitude. As I was already in the middle of the Turbuence Training for Fatloss manual I decided to finish off the workouts as presented in this manual for the contest, starting from the Original Turbulence Training Workout, moving on to TT2K3, then TT2K4 and finishing with TT2K5 on 21 November 2009. In the last month I added TT 3 minute arms, the "3 exercises, once per week" version of which I did on Saturdays and TT 6 Minute Abs, which I did on off-days, following the Turbulence Training Transformation Tip which suggested that I should be able to do a 2 minute plank and at least 45 seconds for each side-plank in the name of back-health. I proceeded to log all my meals and daily weight on fitday and began to post my workouts in the forum, as advised by Craig. This made me feel accountable to all the people in the forum so I could not take a casual attitude to my workouts.

For my nutritional makeover I looked into a variety of different pre-set meal plans and tips to lose the fat and finally settled for Eat-Stop-Eat, combined with the useful tips in Isabel De Los Rios's Advanced Abdominal Nutrition which I tried to apply to the vast majority of my meals. I could not find the time to prepare my daily meals so the combination of these two suited me fine. I had already been on ESE for a couple of months but was still being rather lazy (or should I say lousy!) with my nutrition on eating days so I decided to really clean up. At the beginning I set myself the goal to lean out to 12% bodyfat by the end of the contest. When I measured my bodyfat level on 31 August 2009, using the Omron bodyfat monitor, the reading was 18% (although it was probably higher as my accu-measure callipers indicated at the time, via the iliac crest reading, that this was actually in the region of 23-24%, with a calliper reading of 22 mm, however, in denial of the truth of the matter, I opted to base myself on the less scathing omron reading at the beginning of the contest. As the contest progressed and I began to lose fat I switched to the accu-measure Ė the readings had become somewhat more fathomable).

Each day as I worked out with a new-found discipline and, dare I say, addiction to the Turbulence Training workouts (a new program every 4 weeks Ė kept me wondering what was next!), I challenged myself to eat as lean as possible while dining at the office canteen. Although the canteen has a set menu I had the flexibility to opt for extra servings of heart-healthy veggies instead of fries or rice so I did so at every occasion. For dessert, the hardest part as I've got a serious sweet-tooth, I would take fruit or organic yogurt and limited my sins to one or two 10 gram pieces of dark chocolate.

The results of my perseverance soon began to pay off. My bodyfat decreased to 12% by week 10 of the contest.

I had reached my objective, 2 weeks short of the end of the contest! What should I do now? I asked myself.

It would have been easy to stick to 12%, I gathered, by fasting once a week and keeping my diet lean. But somehow I felt that that would be too easyÖ So I set myself a new goal, to go down to 10% bodyfat by 21 November 2009. I was confident in my ability to do this, based on my newfound nutritional and athletic self-confidence that I gained from the previous 10 weeks on the Turbulence Training contest, posting in the forums and reading dietary advice. In order to make myself all the more accountable for my new goal, in addition to posting it on my blog on the ttmembers.com 6 th Transformation Contest forum, I booked a photo shoot with a professional photographer for 21 November 2009. She would take the "after" photo for me. I had to look good! In order to cut down that extra 2% bodyfat I decided to adapt my fasting regime to include a third fast each week in the remaining two weeks. I felt I still had enough bodyfat left to afford the extra "sacrifice", besides, after all the rejuvenating, beneficial effects of fasting I had read about I thought it was worth a try. And I managed! By the morning of 21 November 2009 my accu-measure bodyfat callipers gave me the reading of 9.97% (on Tom Venuto's extended chart for bodyfat readings at the iliac crest using the Accu-measure callipers). My Omron electronic bf monitor concurred with the caliper readings, with a verdict of 10%.

Thanks to Turbulence Training I managed to find the necessary motivation to workout and clean up my diet to the point where I was proud at the new physical image of that man in the mirror, and all this in merely 12 weeks. Imagine what I can achieve in the next 6 months!

Stats:
31 August 2009 21 November 2009 Difference

Weight 75.7kg 67.2kg - 8.5kg
Waist 33.5 inches 30 inches - 3.5 inches
Bodyfat (Omron) 18% 10% - 8%
Fat mass 13.63kg 6.72kg - 6.91kg
As my pics were not too clear in my first post I'm re-submitting in slightly larger format.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM

Default Re-posting my pics in larger format

[quote=buhaggo;115279]Gordon Buhagiar

As my pics were not too clear in my first post I'm re-submitting in slightly larger format.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Default TC 6 essay and pics

Well here comes the end of another Transformation Contest, number 6 for TT and number 3 for me.
For me this contest eneded up not being about a physical transformation, but more of a psychological transformation. I will explain:
I am an ex-patriot living in Macau since 2006. Life was going good, until a so-called friend of our did something really awful and cruel to our family last June. I withdrew from everyone and everything trying to deal with this my way. I then went back to Montreal for my summer holidays where I completely fell off the wagon, and went back to some not so healthy eating habits. It is not always easy when you live in other people's homes for 7 weeks...
I then came back to Macau, even though part of me didn't really want to, but life continues and you must do your best.
Then TC6 started and I was all keen and ready to continue with my healthy ways. But I found the nutrition to be an immense challenge. I could not stay focused on my nutrition and could not follow the guide lines I had given myself.... thus started the questionning : Why can't I find my nutrition groove?
So I started asking myselfmany questions, and came to the realization that I had not completely dealt with the event that I was faced with last June. I was slightly depressed and didn't really have anyone to talk to about it. Macau is mostly an ex-pat community and people come and go. You do meet some nice friends, but they are not always the kind you can pour your hear to.... So it makes it hard and you often feel alone. Life has a tendendy to throw us situations/events that we can deal with, so I had to deal with it.
So I read, tried to understand my behavior, and kept on doing TT workotus 2-3 times a week. But my nutrition wasn't good, and so the weight wasn't coming off, and with that came the feeling of defeat and discouragement. Thank goodness for my TT friends from the forum, they are the best, and always had the right thing to write just to keep me going one more day. Thank you my TT friends (W, T, C, J, ...)
I have now done a lot of soul searching, analysing and accepting.
I understand some of the reasons I eat the way I do, and I am ready to make the commitment I need to loose the weight I need to loose. I also realize the importance of surrounding yourself with people that are in the same frame of mind as you (and not the ones that will convince you to go have a coffee instead of going to the gym...). I have found a personal trainer that will work with me part-time, just to keep me on track with the weight, and making sure I do my exercises properly.
So TC6 was the stepping stone I needed to deal with the emotional eating, and now I will be ready to start the next chapter withTC7. This is a life time journey, and it deals with all aspects of your life, and this last contest was a very revealing time for me, and I think that was an important chapter of my novel... the next chapter will be TC7, and I am looking forwards to it.

I am including my before and after pictures and stats, but as you can see, there are not changes, or minimal ones (but not the ones wanted). But that's ok, I've accepted that, and I am ready to move on. It's not how many times you fall off the wagon that counts, but the fact that you get back on it every time.

Stats (before/after)
Weight: 158.8 - 158.2
BMI: 27.2 - 27.2
%BF: 29.9 - 29.8
Breast: 36 - 36.5
Below Breast: 31 - 31
Smallest part of waist: 33 - 32.5
Full hips: 41 - 41
Full thighs: 43 -43
1 full thigh: 25.5 - 26
Above knee: 17.5 - 18.5
Below knee: 13.5 - 14
Calf: 14 - 14
Biceps: 12 - 12.5

Workouts: Original book TT Beginner level, TT intermediate level, BW workouts at home

Quote: "Just try to be a little bit better today than you were before" Craig

Thank you Craig for your system and your support. You system, the forum and your regular emails as the reason I'm still here, and will continue to be here....

On day at a time ....
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 PM

Default Pics

Here are the before-after pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC6 ant view #2.jpg (30.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg TC6 lateral view.jpg (23.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg TC6 post view.jpg (29.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg TC6 paper clips.jpg (47.1 KB, 2 views)

On day at a time ....
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Another contest over for me - my sixth - and in my opinion, probably the best so far. My "after" pictures won't tell the whole story as there is little visible change but some big changes did take place.

I was very consistent with my workouts and completed 2 full workouts and started my third. I saw myself getting stronger and faster over the 12 weeks of the contest and there was a point when I was reaching new "personal bests" at each workout either in the weights I lifted or the time it took to do a particular exercise. I could see particular improvement in my upper body strength and for the first time, I am seeing development in my arms although there was improvement in my chest, legs and back too. According to my measurements, I gained 3Kg or muscle but unfortunately, did not lose much fat.

The contest took a different turn for me than I had initially planned. My main focus at the beginning was nutrition and I had the mentality that I would "get as many workouts" as I could. But it turned out that I simply fell in love with working out and this helped me achieve a "near-perfect" record in completing all my workouts. I don't think I've enjoyed my workouts during a contest as I have during TC6. But while I thought I was being careful with my nutrition, it clearly was the reason for me not achieving the results I wanted and therefore I was obviously not as careful as I thought - and hence the reason for my 3kg muscle gain.

So, this contest was a success for me in that I took a major step towards developing the "exercise" habit and made another improvement in my overall health. But it was not a success as I did not make much progress towards reducing my abdominal fat. So my goal for the next contest is clear and I will be back again and however many more times I need to participate until I can get the body and health that I have always wanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AfterFront.JPG (85.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Flex.JPG (78.3 KB, 19 views)