TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the kind words and hopeful thoughts about my back.

I'm thankful to report that the strain does seem to be minor. On Saturday I had a 2 hour meeting that I had to go to and thus I waited to take the relaxant until I got home from that. I think because of that lengthy meeting Saturday, it was looking a bit questionable on Sunday morning, as it was hurting and spasming a lot and the muscle relaxant wasn't helping. But it did make me groggy, so after a 2 1/2 hour nap I woke up and my back felt great. Yes, I know it's still injured and I need to baby it, but I got out of bed this morning w/out the need to roll sideways and I've taken a half a pill today for good measure (and on a half-pill I won't get groggy).

I'm going to do bird-dogs today, as those are the prescribed PT exercises. Some planks will probably also be useful. That will be the extent of my exercise probably until Wednesday, I'm guessing. I may do some speed walking just to be active. I'll just have to be careful and listen to my body. In the meantime, I need to watch my nutrition!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Smile

Oh Heather, you poor thing, I really hope you get better soon, backs are such funny things, you can't believe that you can put your back by a sneeze, reminds us how fragile our bodies are really.

get well soon, take it easy in the meantime, big hugs

take care love Kate
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Default I'm back!

Thanks, Kate!

The good news is that after an unintended week break to take it easy with my strained back, I feel no more twangs of pain in my back and so I will be restarting TT tonight.

I've only 3 weeks left in the contest and feel so far behind in what I had hoped to accomplish. Nevertheless, I will set some new goals and revisit those that I've been successful at (or struggling with), and get back to work!

I'm just happy to be back!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
Thanks, Kate!
The good news is that after an unintended week break to take it easy with my strained back, I feel no more twangs of pain in my back and so I will be restarting TT tonight.
I've only 3 weeks left in the contest and feel so far behind in what I had hoped to accomplish. Nevertheless, I will set some new goals and revisit those that I've been successful at (or struggling with), and get back to work! I'm just happy to be back!
Heather-good news about your back! No point in looking behind, good luck in your final 3 weeks. Concetta
Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Thanks, Kate!

I've only 3 weeks left in the contest and feel so far behind in what I had hoped to accomplish. Nevertheless, I will set some new goals and revisit those that I've been successful at (or struggling with), and get back to work!

I'm just happy to be back!
Fingers and toes crossed all Ok for you now, don't feel like you have not got anywhere, just look at all the clothes that don't fit you anymore!! You have done so well and don't forget it, keep up the great work and put the extra push in for the last 3 weeks, you will be surprised at what you can accomplish in that time as you know!

cheers for now Katie
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I hope everyone is avoiding the post-Halloween candy temptations. I snuck in 2 more mini-snickers bars. But I've created a new rule in my head and if I stick to it, all will be good. My new rule (which I will share w/ hubby tonight) is no 'sneaking' candy. Eating 'treats' will only occur as a social event; this makes it less-likely either of us will be tempted by the candy and if we can stick with this rule (if he can agree w/ me ) then I think it will be good. The social emphasis is good when both of us are trying to avoid temptation. And so far, I have not found the candy particularly tempting. Yay!

And thanks to Shannon and Naomi for recommending the Greek yogurt. Yummy stuff and it DOES help to get that extra protein w/out the need for the protein powder each day.

That's all for now...
Hope your back feels better soon, Heather! Glad to hear it's minor-just take it easy to make sure it heals!

That's a great rule about the candy! I was doing some candy sneaking myself over the past couple of weeks and finally made Brian put the halloween candy up in the top shelf of a tall cabinet...so I really can't reach it without dragging a chair across the kitchen in front of him! That has nipped it in the bud. I have also been writing down the candy I do eat, so I can look back and see the effect that has on my results...I'm not gaining, but not losing either. Mentally, though, it's not a horrible thing to test some mild off-plan eating to reassure yourself that all your results won't evaporate in a week or two...I'm glad to be back on track now though.

Glad you're liking the Greek yogurt! We buy a lot of Stonyfield organic yogurt so I have been doing their rewards program for months now and getting lots of free yogurt coupons. Over the past year, we've probably gotten $50 worth of free yogurt, I would guess? Now that they have coupons for greek yogurt available I am getting those. Between me and my daughter, we go through 2-3 two quarts of vanilla (her) and plain (me) yogurt a week, so every couple of weeks we have enough points for a free plain greek yogurt. I also buy single serving multi-packs of another brand of greek yogurt, though those are not as good since they have the fruit on the bottom and cane sugar juice as an ingredient...but they're darn convenient for packing as a non-meat protein source when you need a quick lunch!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 11-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanks Concetta and Kate. It's good to be back. I actually have a ton of energy now! It must have been a much needed break just in general!

And thanks Shannon for the tips about the Greek yogurt. My husband and I have quickly become addicted to it, and I always welcome ways to save money!

I haven't been able to catch up lately with people on the forum other than a quick read here or there but no chance to reply. My week off from TT allowed me to catch up on some work in the evenings and allowed me to get to bed early and catch up on sleep. This week will be a busy one in general and I'm hopeful I'll find a moment here or there to catch up and even respond to some other threads. I have been reading when possible, but really just so I don't get so far behind that I don't know what's going on with anyone!

This week I'm doing the female bodysculpting workouts. Craig said it is a beginner's workout and I can tell since it's all moves that I'm very familiar with. However, I still got a good workout from it on Friday and today and will finish off the week on Tuesday.

My son rode his bike while I did my intervals today - everytime I sprinted, he'd ride as fast as possible and scream, "I'm going to catch up to you" over and over again. I managed to not laugh (most of the time).

I've decided that I need a break from weight-training. I think I was getting burnt out on it. Over my week break I had a chance to think about all this and decided to go with a bodyweight workout for the next 4 to 5 weeks. I've been looking at the 6-month bodyweight manual, the 2005 original bodyweight, the 2006 summertime bodyweight (definitely not summer anymore, but still an option), and the bodyweight -500 and -1000 workouts. These last 2 appear to have dumbbells and I really don't want any dumbbells at all for a little while, so I think they're out for the moment. They look fun but I just need a break from dumbbells; really, I do.

Are there any other bodyweight workouts that I missed? If they don't say it in the title, I'm sure I've missed them.

In other news, we've decided we're going to spend some time soon with my in-laws. I need to set up a plan for how to deal with this; their house is all about eating and I always fail to maintain mindful eating when I spend time visiting with them. I sometimes have a hard time at my house, but of any place on this Earth I could ever visit and absolutely struggle to keep control over my eating, it is their house! And my husband is no better, either!

Well, I'd better go do some work. This week I have 3 exams to give and I'm in the midst of grading essays that must be returned so the students have a week to rewrite them before the rewrite deadline. Only a few more weeks of classes left and then it's final exam time!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Hi Heather, just a note about the BW programs-I have done the Gauntlet workout before. I think there may be a KB/DB swing in there, but everything else is BW and it was my first experience with that. I loved it! It's free off CB's fan page on Facebook.

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM

To battle the inlaws - fill your ipod with a ton of podcasts, print off every inspirational article you can find, and chew a lot of gum!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Good idea with the gum and the inspirational listening. I'm definitely not a gum chewer, but I can see how that will work to get me through!

I've moved on to the 6-month bodyweight manual, phase 1. I did workout A last night. It was great. I think I'm going to love this. The intervals were unique - 2 minutes at '8' and 2 minutes at '3' in between intervals; 4 intervals total. I've never done a 2 minute '8' and don't think I quite got to an '8' as I felt I could keep going past 2 minutes.

And I'm not a runner, so this is amazing, really! I could almost see why someone would want to run for 20 minutes or more (key word: almost). My 4th interval was more like an '8' as my legs were tired; but again, I felt like I could have kept going. So as always, there is a learning curve here w/ a new workout. But the BW stuff was great - the second time through the circuit it was tough to get through some of the exercises (set 2 is always the toughest for me for some reason) while the 1st and 3rd time were challenging, but not tough.

Still not much time to check up on other posts -- 2 exams written, 1 given (the other to begin soon) and then I just have 1 left to write and give by Friday. Oh, and of course, all the grading! Maybe this evening or this afternoon I'll be able to snatch a break and do some reading. I hope everyone is on track (as best as possible!) and doing well!