TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 28th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Default The Rocky Road to Fitness

NOTE: I wrote this yesterday (it is the beginning of my essay)

The Rocky Road to Fitness: Journey to Forever Fit

Here it is January 09, 2017.
I restart my journey to being fit for the thousandth time (or at least it seems that way). As I type this the fitness meme “If you’re tired of starting over then STOP giving up” plays over and over in my mind. Granted, I never fully gave up, but I certainly took some detours, wrong roads and even went in reverse (multiple times). It’s time to take the direct path.

It’s true life has thrown some curves at me over the many times of starting, stopping and restarting. One of the biggest detours was my first marriage. It is when I first started using food as a drug to numb the pain, the moment I snapped and turned to food was after a vicious attack with a hard shell video cassette case. It slashed the side of my nose open and I ended up needing stitches to close the wound. I remember sitting on the floor for hours in the middle of my dried blood on the kitchen floor. I started to clean up the mess the next morning after my attacker had left for work but instead of cleaning, I ended up on the kitchen floor in tears. Something broke in me that day. I dealt with things like having a knife to my throat and digging my nails into my ex- husband so he would let go of his choke hold around my neck.The times I had to fight for my life from his hands around my neck, I can’t count. No, I didn’t accept that I would let him take my life but he did take my life so to speak as it has taken years and years to overcome from the damage he did to my mind and soul.

There have been more recent roadblocks such as losing my mother toward the end of 2015. The latest roadblock has been my broken rib just a short 4 months ago.

Enough of that, though! It’s time to quit making the wrong turns. GPS is on! Ready, Set, Go!

A little Background on the essay title…

Myself and my siblings inherited my uncle’s belongings.
My uncle was a bibliophile. So, I inherited a lot of books!
In his book collection, I found this book that reminded me of me.
It is called “The Rocky Road to Physical Fitness” by Rocky Graziano and Rowland Barber. This book is a hoot! Here is a link to the cover image: https://www.librarything.com/work/2510056

It was copyrighted in 1968. Oh the irony (1968 is the year I was born)!
The title of the book inspired the name of this essay. (And the name of this thread)

Bill took my before pictures on Sunday evening. I started Monday January 9.
The pictures are a very rude awakening! I know better than to beat my self up for them, though. I am using them as motivation instead.
It is amazing how the mind works and how we can reframe how we look at something.

I have been in deep thought over my lack of business growth. The cold, hard, harsh (I could go on) truth of the matter is while my heart is in the right place and I have all the knowledge to give people awesome transformations,
the truth is...
" This world is a superficial place and people do judge on physical appearance. Should we judge a book by it's cover (it is always deeper than the cover)? Not really, but we do. I have come to the realization it's not that I'm doing anything wrong in my business. It's because I have not taken the time for my own transformation!"

MY business is stuck because I won't follow my own advice!

I am taking the high road not the rocky road this time. I'm done being the Sunday driver that everyone is honking at to get out of the way because they are driving so slow or just don't have a clue where they are going.

I know exactly what I want and I'm going after it.

The highway to success in my fitness and my business lies within me. And I just opened up the throttle. It's full speed ahead!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:44 PM

Shawn-that took a lot of courage to share. Agree with your thoughts-" This world is a superficial place and people do judge on physical appearance..."
You are in a good place to stop starting and as you say-full speed ahead-once and for all. Look forward to your journey. Concetta
Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concetta27 View Post
Shawn-that took a lot of courage to share. Agree with your thoughts-" This world is a superficial place and people do judge on physical appearance..."
You are in a good place to stop starting and as you say-full speed ahead-once and for all. Look forward to your journey. Concetta
Thanks, Concetta.
It's a long road but I got this
Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 PM

This is the end of Day #3 for me. I wanted to start the week between Christmas and New Year but I ended up with a terrible head cold and only made one workout that week. Last week was a great week of workouts but I didn't get my before pictures until Sunday January 8.

I got in my TT workout this morning at 5:30 am and I did Yoga at 6 pm. My eating has been going well. I started following the Shred 10 on Monday.A 10 day plan that eliminates a bunch of evils...Dairy,Gluten, Alcohol etc. I have been compliant with a very slight modification. I was supposed to have no caffeine as well. I usually have a lot more than I should such as 6-8 cups off coffee a day. So I am starting at only 2 cups a day these first 3 days and going down to 1 cup tomorrow and 0 on Friday. It has helped tremendously with withdrawal headache. The last time I tried to get off caffeine I had awful headaches for 3 days straight and had to nap every single day. After the shred I plan on keeping my coffee consumption in check.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Great work! Your plan is awesome. Keep us up to date!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Thanks, Craig.

Day 4 was a little unusual. The kid's had another snow day. The weather has been crazy this week! Snow storm on Monday (about 6 inches or so) and after the snow heavy rain! It washed all of the snow away. In the same day! The kids had a snow day on Monday . Tuesday and Wednesday school and today freezing rain (snow day). I live in Michigan. I expect snow, but this week... I'll take the snow over freezing rain any day!

Even with the out of the norm day I was still compliant with my plan. Great food choices.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:00 AM

Failure is not something to fear. Failing is FUN! Do we call it failing when a toddler takes her first steps, hits a speed wobbles, and falls? No! Never. Look at the JOY and LACK of fear on the faces of toddlers as they stumble FORWARD. As long as she gets back up, it's just a simple stumble. Key words: As long as she gets back up. Like you do. Nothing keeps you down. So never fear failing forward. It's what we must do.

Today's tip, reminded me of you. You got the bloody knees and scraped up arms and elbows, but you always get back up and go!

Longing for spring/summer, here, too!

Rob
Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobB View Post
Failure is not something to fear. Failing is FUN! Do we call it failing when a toddler takes her first steps, hits a speed wobbles, and falls? No! Never. Look at the JOY and LACK of fear on the faces of toddlers as they stumble FORWARD. As long as she gets back up, it's just a simple stumble. Key words: As long as she gets back up. Like you do. Nothing keeps you down. So never fear failing forward. It's what we must do.

Today's tip, reminded me of you. You got the bloody knees and scraped up arms and elbows, but you always get back up and go!

Longing for spring/summer, here, too!

Rob
Thanks, Rob.
I don't actually mind the winter. It's the ice that I don't like. I like Fall and Spring best (not too hot or too cold).

Day 5 Updates

Workout- Done!
Eating has been on plan as well.
I did have 1 cup of coffee today but other than that I have been on target.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Thats great!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 AM

It's been a while since I updated.
This week has been off a bit. It has been a crazy week.
This is Day 11 (just starting the day)
Meditation finished. I am listening to a brain boost mix with intelligence affirmations in the background as I type this.I have trouble quieting my mind without the aid and distraction of the music so I have been using a deep theta meditation mix first in the morning.I have also been listening to these really cool mixes that have affirmations from Think and Grow Rich in the background.

I am down 4 pounds from day 1.

I have had to take a few extra days off due to extreme muscle soreness from last Friday's workout. I have been doing the warm ups with my clients and I did a TT stability ball boot camp on Wednesday but nothing real intense. Tuesday at Transformation Time Fitness we held our monthly "Healthy Hang-out" and it was great. My partner in the hangout went to school for massage therapy. She is a great networker and talked her instructor and his students into coming out and giving massages for the event. It is a win-win! They get their hours logged for school and we get free massages! They spent a while working on my knots. I was so sore from the work on me but it was so needed. They worked deep into a few of my trouble spots.

I have mentioned on the facebook Habit change accountability club that one of my areas of focus would be more yoga to help aid in the healing of my past trauma. I function well and don't have flashbacks or anything but I just feel there must be an old program running in my brain that is somehow blocking my success. Interesting enough one of the massage therapist told me I should be doing yoga everyday! So yes yoga therapy for my muscles and mind is in order I bought a month of unlimited yoga from the new yoga studio in town, I went Friday and Saturday morning. I have not been back this week yet because it's been a crazy week due prep for the healthy hangout and I have a huge event this morning at 11:00 am. I am a member of the local chamber of commerce. They hold a very well attended networking at noon. There is a waiting list to hold them at your business. The January person backed out and I stepped up and offered to hold it. The attendance is generally 60- 80 people. This year is starting off with a big bang!I love it! After all the wonderful madness is done today I will get back on track and make sure I get in my yoga on Friday and Saturday. Next week I will get in more yoga days and should be recovered enough to hit the weight hard again!