TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 20th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Tuesday, May 13th
- Started speaking with a British accent.
Jolly good old chap.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Friday, May 9

1) Made an effort to speak broken Spanish to the cleaning staff servicing my room at the hotel. I think she really appreciated it.

But I have no idea because I don't speak Spanish!

(PS - I will stop using emoticons. A BG wouldn't use these...would he? )

2) My dinner order was delivered without several items. But I didn't get mad.

I followed the Stoic maxim: "There is no good or bad; there is only perception."

I control what I can, and cope with what I can't.
I use emoticons all the time, and I'm British so you can feel free to use them.

Wise words about there is no good or bad, only perception. Maybe that's one for us all to remember

Neil Gazzillo, Telford, Shropshire, UK

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/neil.gazzillo
Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Stoic philosophy has been helpful for me.

I encourage you to check out:

"The Art of Living" Epictetus translated by Sharon Lebelle.

It's a small book with short daily lessons.

Also, "The Obstacle is the Way", by Ryan Holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg197 View Post
I use emoticons all the time, and I'm British so you can feel free to use them.

Wise words about there is no good or bad, only perception. Maybe that's one for us all to remember
Old 05-14-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Also, "The Obstacle is the Way", by Ryan Holiday.
Everyone seems to be going on about this at them moment. A good read then?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Almost got tricked by someone today into breaking my 6th Personal Rule:

"I do not engage in confrontations with anyone, in-person or online. This is a waste of time and energy. If I have caused harm, I apologize and fix the situation. And then I take a deep breath, relax, breathe out, and re-focus my efforts back on my work and goals."
- http://www.earlytorise.com/12-rules/

But I stuck to it.

Stay strong.

Laugh it off.

There is absolutely NO reason why anyone should get in a "fight" with someone online, because you ALWAYS have that chance to STOP before you hit SEND/SUBMIT. Stay positive.

Also, some nice feedback on this journal from an ETR Team Member:

"thanks for sharing your BG transformation... not only did i find it interesting to read your daily accountability, it's also inspiring to see the changes you're making (note: i noticed in our call earlier this week that you seemed more friendly, calm and patient). in the words of craig ballantyne, keep on pushing on!"
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Great post by Seth Godin today:

Emotional handwashing

Emotions are far more contagious than any disease. A smile or a panic will spread through a group of people far faster than any virus ever could.
When you walk into the office or a negotiation, then, wash your bad mood away before you see us. Don't cough on us, don't sneeze on us, sure, but don't bring your grouchiness, your skepticism or your fear in here either. It might spread.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Great post by Seth Godin today:

Emotional handwashing

Emotions are far more contagious than any disease. A smile or a panic will spread through a group of people far faster than any virus ever could.
When you walk into the office or a negotiation, then, wash your bad mood away before you see us. Don't cough on us, don't sneeze on us, sure, but don't bring your grouchiness, your skepticism or your fear in here either. It might spread.

Good stuff. I find myself getting frustrated a lot lately by people constantly getting offended both online and in person. I don't think most people go out of their way to offend people. I TRY to tell this to the young moms in my life who are constantly getting offended by remarks people say when they are out with their kids. (stuff like, "I don't know how you do it." or "I could never do what you do." "You have how many kids??") Most people are just not very good at conversation and say dumb things sometimes in an attempt to make conversation. No reason to get in a huff, just offer a gracious reply("The best I can." "You might surprise yourself." "Eight, I left four at home!") and move on! By the same token, a bad conversation or mood can be changed by our reaction.(as you already know and practice!) I don't think I could be an online personality! Exhausting! I'd feel the need to counsel every grouch!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Which I am also fascinated with, by the way...I've always wanted to find a small town, like the one in To Kill a Mockingbird, and meet a real life Atticus Finch.
I'm just catching up to this thread after a few days and am truly enjoying the tales!

Along these lines, I have a brother-in-law from Lynchburg, VA (how's that for a terrifying name, not at all gentlemanly). He can "charm the leaves off a tree" as my mom used to say (specifically about a way-too-smooth Sicilian I used to date, but that's anther story...)

I've envied the way he can spin a yarn, welcome y'all to come in and "chew the fat", and make anyone feel valued for just being themselves. Noble traits, indeed.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
By the same token, a bad conversation or mood can be changed by our reaction.
I actively committed to this a couple months ago and was truly blown away by the responses I got in a couple situations. Fortunately they were via email so I had time to think through my posture, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm currently thinking about how to handle one with my ex...
Old 05-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Well said, Leslie.

I'll admit, I once had a hard time taking a compliment.

But I've gotten over myself.

Give a sincere thank you, and return the compliment.

Life is simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
Good stuff. I find myself getting frustrated a lot lately by people constantly getting offended both online and in person. I don't think most people go out of their way to offend people. I TRY to tell this to the young moms in my life who are constantly getting offended by remarks people say when they are out with their kids. (stuff like, "I don't know how you do it." or "I could never do what you do." "You have how many kids??") Most people are just not very good at conversation and say dumb things sometimes in an attempt to make conversation. No reason to get in a huff, just offer a gracious reply("The best I can." "You might surprise yourself." "Eight, I left four at home!") and move on! By the same token, a bad conversation or mood can be changed by our reaction.(as you already know and practice!) I don't think I could be an online personality! Exhausting! I'd feel the need to counsel every grouch!