TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 14th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 AM

Hope you are coming along well, waleed!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybeggar View Post
Hi Waleed,

Glad you're doing better and it wasn't serious. I had an injury on my first TC and it derailed me big time.

I had a great trip to NY with my son but didn't get to meet Roman. I told him where I was staying and what times I was available but didn't hear back. I didn't want to stalk him so I left it that. No worries.

Question about primal and paleo....what about the Asia cultures that eat allot of rice and noodles, they don't seem to suffer the ailments that us Northern American's do.
Glad to hear you had a great trip to NY with your son. Funny about the stalker thing! I know what you mean. You kind of stuck in the whole, "Maybe he's forgotten and I should give him just one more call" deal. I usually do what you do...leave them alone and let them call back if they're really interested in meeting up.

Interesting questions about the Asian cultures and their intake of rice and noodles. I'm no expert but from my own experience of travelling in the Far East and the time I lived in Singapore for a few months a few years ago, I noticed even then that people there tend to prefer their own traditional food rather than "imported" foods, which tend to be more of an occasional treat. Also, they tend to eat much smaller portions and eat a greater variety of foods that includes all sorts of vegetables, different kinds of meats and animal protein. There is a great emphasis on freshness and quality ingredients so processed foods get much less attention than local foods and there is much more awareness of seasonality of fruits and vegetables (in Singapore, there are many imported fresh produce, mainly from Australia but it's soooo expensive. I would be local veggies like bok choy which grows almost like a weed there but is packed with goodness). Go to a seafood restaurant and fish you are served was literally swimming 30 minutes ago in one of the on-site tanks. Finally, I think it's important to remember the genetic factor. Rice and some of the other grains used for making noodles (I'm thinking of buckwheat for soba noodles for example) are indigenous to the area and so the local people are perhaps better adapted to eating those starches than say, someone who lives in an area where rice doesn't grow. The situation where I live (Arabian Gulf) is a great example of this. The staple food has become rice but it is impossible to grow rice here - it's a desert. It's no coincidence that one of the highest per capita rates of diabetes, obesity and related diseases in the the Gulf countries. We simply were not meant to eat rice. There are many other examples - the Inuit people in Northern Canada and Alaska, the Aborigines of Australia, the people of Nauru in the South Pacific which is unfortunately the most obese nation in the world.

I think self-awareness is a crucial element of primal and paleo. "Safe" foods for one person may be harmful or bad for someone else (for example the nightshade family).

What do you think?

Find me on Facebook
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
Hi Waleed,

Yes, when you get active, sometimes the body can come up with all kind of stuff and issues - just carry on, and it will go better and you get stronger!

I have checked your run on Endomondo, that I am also using. Wow, you were running in Dubai! I got curious: how hot is it over there? Must be worse then here in Europe.

Btw, could I, as a lady also run on the street?

Do well!!
We are well into our summer now so temperatures are in the mid 40's Celsius most of the day. The worst is yet to come though - next month the humidity kicks in and can reach 95% at times. The apparent temperature (what the human body feels) might be 54 Deg C! There is actually a ban on workers working outdoors between 12-4pm to avoid heatstroke.

I've actually been spending quite a lot of time in Abu Dhabi, Dubai wealthier but somewhat less know neighbour (that's where all the oil is - Dubai has very little).

As a lady, you would have no issues whatsoever running in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi and the place where I do my workouts (known as the Corniche) is full of ladies wearing everything from full Islamic dress to tank-tops and shorts (and everything in between). Everyone just seems to get along just fine - unfortunately I think the media sometimes distorts the reality on the ground is in our countries and only the very occasional negative stories get any airtime. I think this leads to an inaccurate stereotype being developed of what life really is like.

If you'd like to "friend" me on Endomondo, send me a personal message and I'll send you my details. I simply love the Endomondo apps and web-site for tracking my workouts.

Find me on Facebook
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobB View Post
Hope you are coming along well, waleed!!!!
Thanks for checking on me Rob. I had some lingering issues with the flu but I'm getting back into it again.

Find me on Facebook
Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Well, it looks like something wicked has been living in my sinuses and chest for the past 10 days. I mostly recovered from the flu but the cough wouldn't go away and then started getting worse again. So, I was put on a course of anti-biotics and after the 3rd day, I'm feeling much better.

I decided to try some exercise and went out for a walk. It felt great to be outdoors again, in spite of the heat and humidity. I managed to get in almost 8Km which sort of surprised me but I guess after a 10 day break, the body was ready for some movement.

If the recovery continues, I'll plan to return to the TT workouts later in the week.

Here are the details of the walk:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/uTWZvrziH4E