TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 27th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2016, 11:18 PM

Default Change Your Focus and Never Give Up

My first week of this challenge I had a really great week on the nutrition end and got in three TT workouts. The second week I had in my 3 TT workouts and food was on plan.

Friday of week two really set me back.
I encountered a big blue monster and it broke my rib!
Here is the story from an earlier post a few days after my accident
http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=13915

Anyway so I refuse to give up even though I can't get in my TT workouts. I am feeling much better but still in pain. I did modify a workout today. It was my first attempt at any workout. I have been walking, stair climbing (my bedroom, bathroom and home office are upstairs) cooking, driving and grocery shopping etc.
I did BW squats, an alternating kick, wall sits , Bulgarian split squats and total body extensions. My lower body doesn't hurt at all.
Only my rib. My arms don't hurt either but I am careful of the movements I make with them. I don't want to interfere with the healing process.So I will be very cautious with any training. I am not loading any movement (except for carrying the grocery bags...because some are loaded). The focus of my challenge has change...
I can't push myself physically or at least the way I want to.
I CAN still make great nutritional choices!

So my focus this contest has changed to music and becoming a better musician. I did join the Fenton Community Orchestra (FCO) with my son only 6 days post accident. The emergency room told me playing flute would make me breathe. The problem with chest injuries is because it hurts to breathe at first many get pneumonia from not breathing deep. Who knew? Playing flute helped me avoid pneumonia.

The music is crazy!Lots of awesome stuff but very challenging for me. I am looking forward to the challenge though. My flute is my outlet while I recover. It's an amazing experience. I even get to play in the orchestra for the classic Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds" The movie originally had no soundtrack. Our FCO conductor wrote an original sound track for it. Check this out and I get to be part of it
This is the promo video for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCW3Ljnc9-0

So there you have it... My change of focus.
I am not giving up on my physical transformation just redirecting my energies while I heal.
Never Ever Give Up!
Staying Strong and feeling much better than 2 weeks ago!
Shawn
Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 AM

What a great, encouraging post, Shawn.
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
What a great, encouraging post, Shawn.
Thanks, Leslie.
The first two weeks after I broke my rib were tough. I struggled...
I tried hard to focus on my blessings not curse my broken rib. It could have been much worse. My client told me of a childhood experience in which she was playing baseball with neighborhood kids and one boy slid into base and his rib punctured his lung and he died.
I am very lucky with the force I hit that ground that it only cracked the rib not displaced it or punctured anything.

Yesterday's meals were pretty good. I did have some ice cream. It was portion controlled.
Sweets are not my downfall so it's not going to set me on a binge or anything. In fact I'm at the car dealership getting an oil change and they have complimentary donuts. Not even the least bit tempted.

My main goal with my diet is portion control not so much what I am eating. I eat pretty clean 80% of the time. My IBS has been under control for some time now. The only issue I had the first week after my bike accident. The 24/7 doses of pain medication caused trouble.
But all is well now that am off heavy meds.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Yesterday went well until the end of the day....

Tuesdays and Thursdays are long days for me and seem especially long while I am recovering. Thursday is orchestra practice and I made a slow cooker full of chicken soup. That was great. It was full of veggies... spinach,carrots,celery, and bok choy. I was very controlled in my portions all day until I got home from orchestra practice.

I ate again after I got home. Which was just after 9 pm. I ate before I left but I was hungry when I got home. instead of grabbing a light snack or another bowl of soup I ate half of cheeseburger that was in the fridge. I will reach for a protein shake or something less heavy next time.

I was up from 4:30 am until 11:30 pm and back up at 4:30. I will be taking a nap today.
I know I need the sleep but I hate napping... I feel like I never get anything accomplished.

I am facing yet another challenge that causes stress... Trying to breathe!
I bought a little beater car and it broke down on my hubby when he was coming back from Lapeer. He is working on a big solar project in Lapeer. They say it's the biggest solar project east of the Mississippi river. The repair shop says it needs a new engine... I am checking into all of my options. Rebuild, used, other things such as coil, wires...they said two cylinders are not firing. Hanging in there because I can't ride my bike...What hurts when I ride the bike is the bumps. Every time I hit a bump I feel sharp pain. Asking for rides is getting really old. We just bought the car a week ago Wednesday.

Today is a new day and I will win today
I know it will all work out in the end.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Bike ride

After I broke my rib a little over 3 weeks ago I rode to the bank and to my doctors office to see if he could order xrays so I wouldn't have a urgent care bill or emergency room bill. My doctor's office closes early on Fridays (the day it happened) so it was closed. That was the main reason I chose to ride with my suspected broken rib.

I got back in the saddle again today. My first ride since that fateful day. It felt good to ride again. My rib tolerated it well. I can't do push ups yet, but the bike ride was doable.I won't be doing any trails, jumps or bumpy stuff on my bike for awhile.

I am always in awe of how quickly our bodies heal when we have been exercising on a regular basis. I may not be 100% where I want to be yet but will say I am blessed that my body heals quickly.

Meals have been about 80% compliant and I got in a 2 lower body workouts and did some modified planks and mountain climbers(hands on a step with 3 risers each side) in the last week. I am pleased with my progress.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Great work Shawn, keep on pushing on.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawns711 View Post
After I broke my rib a little over 3 weeks ago I rode to the bank and to my doctors office to see if he could order xrays so I wouldn't have a urgent care bill or emergency room bill. My doctor's office closes early on Fridays (the day it happened) so it was closed. That was the main reason I chose to ride with my suspected broken rib.

I got back in the saddle again today. My first ride since that fateful day. It felt good to ride again. My rib tolerated it well. I can't do push ups yet, but the bike ride was doable.I won't be doing any trails, jumps or bumpy stuff on my bike for awhile.

I am always in awe of how quickly our bodies heal when we have been exercising on a regular basis. I may not be 100% where I want to be yet but will say I am blessed that my body heals quickly.

Meals have been about 80% compliant and I got in a 2 lower body workouts and did some modified planks and mountain climbers(hands on a step with 3 risers each side) in the last week. I am pleased with my progress.
Yikes! I didn't know about your ribs. I'm glad to see you back at it.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitfield View Post
Yikes! I didn't know about your ribs. I'm glad to see you back at it.
Thanks. It feels good to do something again. I mean I was never totally out of it because my legs were not hurt in the fall. I was walking around in extreme rib cage pain for about a week and a half but not completely down. It still hurts a little to lie supine.... that irritates me but nothing like at first.So I am still limited on what I can do but hanging in there.

I did my first KB swings with a KB today. I had been doing the motion unloaded. I used the KB for 1 arm rows and 1 leg Romanian deadlifts. I also planked with my feet on a stability ball.
I did 3 sets of this. It's a start

My eating has been pretty good. I can clean it up, though. My portion control has been on track (which is really my main focus at this time)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Its good to hear that you're feeling better.
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 10-13-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
Its good to hear that you're feeling better.
Thanks, Leslie.
I keep testing exercises all the time...
I did a few SB pikes today. I made it to 7 and started to feel a little tension in my rib. Nothing stabbing or intense but I figured I would stop there! Baby steps but moving forward
It funny how we take for granted such things.
Pushups from my desk are ok for a few reps.
Top of the pushup plank is doable now but on the forearms still pulls too much.
I have a new yoga instructor at my studio and did her gentle yoga class yesterday.