TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 11th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM

Default Raincoast's Transformation Thread

Hi everybody! I am a TT newbie and excited to be here!

I posted in the Member Intro section...but in a nutshell...I am a 37 year old female who has used running as my primary fitness and weight-control activity for the last 10 years. I have run both full-marathons and half-marathons...but I am now feeling broken down and burnt out. Worse, even though I have logged many miles over the years, I am still carrying too much body fat (30.5%). I am convinced that strength training, intervals and clean nutrition will get me on the right path. So long steady-state cardio! Goodbye running for three hours on a Saturday morning! It's time to have some fun, and go on a nice weekend hike instead.

For the past few weeks I lurked on the forums and learned the TT philosophy. I have particularly enjoyed Craig's podcasts. The audio format is fantastic because I can load up my iPod and take it on a walk, or sometimes listen while at work for some mid-afternoon motivation. I have never participated on forums of any kind before, so I am eager to interact. Already, I have read many inspiring stories.

My biggest challenge will be my mindset. One of the best nuggets I got from Craig's podcast so far is that you can quite easily change your story about yourself. He gave the example of a person that claims to have a "sweet tooth." I have that exact story about myself...in fact, I am often teased at work because of it. People bring me candy...in fact, everyday at around 3:00 pm I go to the store to buy some. It is part craving, part habit. But the solution is very simple...I can instead say, "I don't have a sweet tooth." Then I can also say, "Fit and lean people don't binge on candy...and I am fit and lean." I have tried these techniques this week...and I can report that my cravings and compulsion to eat candy have noticeably diminished. By challenge time next week, I won't be going to the candy store anymore.

Day 1 for my Transformation Contest will be May 29, 2011. I will post all my stats and before pictures that day. As prescribed, I will start with the TT Intermediate Program because I am a new lifter.

Good luck to everyone! I look forward to our 12-week journey!

TT11 Contest Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=10773

Last edited by raincoast : 05-25-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM

Welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the TT support; the forums are great as well for keeping you on track. I'm sure you'll like the workouts too. I started out a newbie lifter but am going to try a deadlift soon... sounds very athletic!

Are you just going to work through the manual? They are all really good workouts.

Good luck changing your mindset. It will be tough at times, but this is the best place to do it! Now, I'm off to download some of Craig's podcasts!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks!

Yes...I am going to start with the TT Intermediate and work my way through the manual. It looks like that will keep my busy for about 6 months! There are so many cool workouts available via the membership...it is tempting to want to jump into one of the newer, advanced ones. But...I will acknowledge my strength limitations and go through the workouts properly. For example, pushups are very difficult for me...I can really only do a couple before I need to drop to my knees. I have a lot of work to do on my strength...but I am looking forward to this new journey!

I am thinking of trying some easier body weight circuits on the off-days. There are many options peppered throughout the TT workouts...I may mix and match for fun.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM

Hi Raincoast..
It's all good all good!! I think sugar is just like any other drug. Just have to go cold turkey and get it out of the system. I like this
Quote:
Goodbye running for three hours on a Saturday morning! It's time to have some fun, and go on a nice weekend hike instead.
All the best!! Deb.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Default Welcome

You'll do well here, the members forum is a great place for support.

looking forward to seeing your transformation and reading your posts.

Neil

Neil Gazzillo, Telford, Shropshire, UK

My Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/neil.gazzillo
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 AM

Thanks, Deb and Neil! I checked out your TT10 entries to put faces to the names...wow...terrific stories! Looking forward to following your progress in TT11.

I think you are right about the sugar...stopping cold turkey has worked for me before. I get into trouble when I try and incorporate it back into my life on a limited basis...all-or-nothing thinking takes over and I feel like my cravings start up again. I'm hoping to overcome this problem once and for all. I'll stick with the fruit!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Welcome to the forums and the contest! Best of luck in your progress and your goals. Don't hesitate to ask questions or start discussions

All the best!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks, Keith! I'm really looking forward to the workouts. They will be unlike anything I have ever done before.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Ready to start!

My official contest start date will be Sunday, May 29, 2011. I usually like to start on Mondays, but I need a newspaper for my 'before' picture and my local paper doesn't publish on Mondays! Apparently, there is nothing newsworthy in this town until Tuesday.

To help myself over the next 12-weeks, I created a Transformation Binder. I made tabs and populated the following sections:
- Measurements and photos (I will take these tomorrow.)
- Calendar
- Motivation (quotes I like, etc.)
- Daily Scripts (I mapped out what an ideal fat loss workday and weekend would look like, literally hour to hour. This was a great exercise and taught me a lot about what it will take to achieve my goals.)
- Goals (I broke down my goals into multiple levels: ultimate, long-term, monthly, weekly and daily. I also wrote why I wanted these goals, who motivates me, my unproductive behaviours and self-imposed obstacles, my primary mindset barriers, and solutions to overcome them.)
- Compliance Grids (For both nutrition, workouts and daily goal review. As recommended, I am aiming for a 90% compliance rate.)
- Workout and nutrition journals, including a summary sheet for the week in review. I have a Mac app to track calories and macronutrients, but I like to keep a summary on paper.

It was fun to organize myself and make this tool. I am now feeling ready to jump in and get started!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 AM

Talking Day 1

Today is officially Day 1 for me…so here are my baseline stats and pictures. I’m excited our local paper had a positive headline today, and not something unhappy or nutty.

Height: 5’6”
Weight: 141.6 pounds
Body Fat: approximately 31% (via DEXA 31Apr11)
Chest: 36 inches
Waist: 32 inches
Abdomen: 35 inches
Hips: 38 inches
Thigh: 23.5 inches
Knee: 15 inches
Arm: 10.5 inches

Today I did my grocery shopping and made all my healthy lunches for the week. On the menu: spinach-blueberry-banana smoothie for breakfast, ginger-lentil stew with raw vegetables for lunch, apple with almonds for a snack…and a huge salad for dinner.

Tomorrow I will complete my first TT workout ever! I am starting with the TT Intermediate program from the manual. On the off-days, I would like to try some of Craig’s TT bodyweight circuits. I would also like to do a chin-up someday, so I practice hanging on a bar at a playground near my house. My grip strength is not very developed…so I need to start with the basics.

I am a bit embarrassed about my photos, but others had the courage to post theirs…so I have done the same. Looking forward to this week ahead!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 1.jpg (31.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Day 1 Bicep.jpg (30.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by raincoast : 05-30-2011 at 12:04 AM.