TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestj View Post
Not sure I just use the public outdoor rinks, a few different ones. Usually those middle school rinks are used for broom ball, so the ice isn't the best. Try to find some without a warming house there will be less skaters. My best tip is to practice "shaving the ice" with your skates, that will help you get the feel for stopping, and just doing the good ole snowplow stop. Do figure eights too, that helps you get the feel for all the different edges.
Thanks for the tips, I will definately scout out some rinks and see what I come up with. We've gotten hit with a big ol winter storm so I won't be venturing out tonight... hopefully tomorrow the snow will be plowed off the streets... quite a lot of accumulation plus lots of wind.

Great job on the workout and feeling strong.
And good luck with the cookie addiction ;-)

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell27 View Post
That is one thing that I really miss from going to a gym, is having access to a whirlpool and steam saunas. I loved sitting in the sauna after a good hard workout, so relaxing!

Double ugg on the girl scout cookies. I've got a couple boxes coming my way thanks to a cousin. Thinking I should just pay her and talk her into keeping the cookies!
I wish I had that stuff too, its just a home bath with whirlpool jets, but it does the job. After that I jump in a cold shower, call me crazy but it feels awesome.

Btw NPChic I forgot to mention, the shaving the ice thing, try that standing still not while moving.

Today I am going to go to a refrigerated rink because unfortunately they are no longer maintaining the other rinks until next winter. Its a bummer but at least there is still somewhere to go.

Workout b today. It was very tough today, I increased the resistance. After the skate today I will def need another hot tub/cold shower haha.

You cannot plow a field by turning it over in your mind.~Unknown
Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Workout C today.

This one went real well, my squat is at 305 lbs now. I am getting closer and closer to my goal, and I feel that I can surpass it. Bench is 205 now. I'm really close to 3 plates per side on the squat and 2 per on the bench, these are good milestones: 315 and 225. Eventually I want to do 405 squat which is 4 plates per side. No one in my gym can do that, hell most don't even do 2 or even 3. Most guys there bench more than they squat and that is pretty backwards. We call them captain upper bodies lol. Chicken legs!! Most guys will give you a laundry list of complaints on the reasons they don't do squats, but it really just comes down to being too much of a wuss!

My nutrition this week improved from last week. I ate less treats and more of my normal diet. If I did have GS cookies it was only 2-3 at a time. The day before my workout I load up on bananas. Steve Reeves said to eat at least 3 bananas the day prior to a workout. I usually eat 2 or a three a day.

Overall this was another productive week of workouts. I was going to skate tonight but it closes at 8pm on fri-sun and 9pm mon-thurs, backwards I know so I will go tomorrow.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM

Workout A today, it went well!

I experimented with an extended fast just to see what it was like. I fasted from about 3:30 am or so Saturday night, until about 1:30ish today. It was about 34 hours give or take. Overall it was pretty smooth, but I won't make this a regular thing.

I dunno if its DOMS or not but I have been waking up at night sometimes and in the mornings with some pretty bad muscle aches, especially in my arms. It seemed to be worsened during the fast. It was weird because that was 2 days after my workout and I don't usually deal with soreness for more than a day. Sometimes I think it has to do with the position I am sleeping in, and not the lifting. As they say no pain, no gain!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM

I had a good workout today. It was challenging.

I weighed 181 today, which is down about 2 pounds from where I was hovering. I believe my navel measurement is still going down, which is a very good thing, I'll have to remeasure tomorrow morning to make sure it was legit. I also seemed to have gained half an inch or more in the circumference of my shoulders since the first measurement.

I was talking with one of the trainers today and he was pretty misinformed about fasting. I usually just smile and nod even when I know they are wrong. He was saying how fasting is unhealthy and that he would not recommend it for anyone, then he went on to say you can't gain muscle and lose fat. I stopped him there and said "Thats not true, how would you explain me gaining 50 lbs on my squat while losing 2 inches of belly fat." He didn't have an answer and tried to attribute it to the mental part of training. In some circumstances that might be true, but not in mine. For some untrained individual who is just beginning to learn what their potential is that could be a likely explanation. But for someone like me who was already an "intermediate" strength trainee (strength standards: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html) saying I was able to gain 50 lbs on the squat simply due to the mental part of training is dead wrong.

I appreciate their willingness to help, they are always their to spot me, but I'll take their advice in stride.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
He was saying how fasting is unhealthy and that he would not recommend it for anyone, then he went on to say you can't gain muscle and lose fat. I stopped him there and said "Thats not true, how would you explain me gaining 50 lbs on my squat while losing 2 inches of belly fat."
Many people don't realise that they're two separate processes. I thought this was interesting regarding how to think of muscle growth - http://www.adonisindex.com/what-does...g-muscle-mean/

My TC10 Thread
My Workout Journal

"I am like the turtle who just keeps moving forward without stress or strain while I whistle a happy song" - Joe Weaver
Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 AM

It's always nice when you can prove a point with actual results I can't wait for the day when I can refute the claim 'you can't have muscle on a vegan diet'

Sounds like you're doing great (as usual ) I'd say 'keep it up', but duh, obviously you will!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I was talking with one of the trainers today and he was pretty misinformed about fasting. I usually just smile and nod even when I know they are wrong. He was saying how fasting is unhealthy and that he would not recommend it for anyone, then he went on to say you can't gain muscle and lose fat.
Funny, huh? I have a colleague that is in exercise science and he told me that exercise physiologists don't recommend fasting for any purpose as it can lead to muscle breakdown. He said he'd like to run a body fat composition analysis on me to make sure that my weight loss was body fat and not lean muscle. I can tell him the answer to that question w/out a body fat analysis (although I'd still like one)!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the link Gerry that was a pretty interesting podcast.

You can definitely build muscle being a vegan Claire btw great results in the 6 weeker!

Thats pretty interesting Heather, that is something along the lines of what this trainer was saying. Even well educated people don't want to believe in fasting. The funny thing is that muscle tissue itself doesn't really break down, it just deflates, like in the article Gerry linked. I have a hard time believing your body would eat its muscle for energy when our whole system is designed to store and burn body fat. Muscle is essential, its not like our body is eating our lungs or our livers so why would it eat our muscles?

Well anyways I did workout C today and I think it might be time to deload on my squat, I haven't been able to get enough calories recently on the days I am at school, and I think it is effecting my recovery from the heavy lifting. I will have to start planning better and making sure I am eating enough. I did make progress on the bench, I'm up to 210 there.

I got down to 178 today, which makes me think its definitely the calories causing lack of recovery. I am going to start being more prepared and also doing some more light activity on off days because I know its probably better to do at least a little something rather than nothing.

I had some setbacks and some progress this week, so some mixed feelings.

I am now on spring break! YAHOO! No plans really, I'll just go about things like normal, with a lot of time off. I'll be able to make sure I am getting enough food this week and that will help me gauge my status with recovery and volume issues. The cold showers and cold tub soaks are helping.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 PM

I had a great workout today.

Not much else to report.