TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 AM

Heather, I discovered that also. I had occasions when I had eaten whole bag (150 grams) of mixed nut and dried fruit just because I was nervous or out of boredom. Therefore no more bringing snacks to work or visiting wending machine. But I still have to cope with this when I'm at home. It's a constant battle. Currently I'm trying to drink warm tea instead of snacking and telling myself that I don't need to eat when I'm not hungry. It helps a little.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
I completed a fast today (24 hours). Ended it w/ salad, yummy spare ribs and some rice. Now of course comes the tremendous thirst I always feel after a fast.

Me - I'm definitely going to need to either buy new dress pants or finally hem the ones that are a bit long. As they used to sit higher, I could get away w/ the length...now they will drag on the floor if I wear them, even with heels, as they sit much lower on my waist. I also have one pair that I tried to put on this morning and they looked like I was wearing someone else's pants they were so large. And the pair I ended up wearing - that I've been wearing for the past few months - are now starting to look baggy, also.
I bet the thirst has something to do with carb depletion and refill. I notice something similar on my cheat days or the day after. Probably changes in glycogen and associated water flux!

I know the feeling on the dress pants. I tried on a pair yesterday that just fit last July (because I wore them the last time I spoke in front of my division) and they're way too large now, I had to put them away. Which is a shame because I love the color and they were super cheap at Kohls! I can tell you that JC Penney Worthington dress pants are a good find, especially if you need petite heights and they're on sale or you can get a coupon when you get them. If you're borderline with petites like I am, they'll fit a tiny bit short at first but then like you said, as you drop in size and the pants drop lower, they'll be just right! They have different fits too, and the regular sizes are sometimes OK too but I hear you on the hemming!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 AM

I've been really thirsty too, even though I've been drinking lots of water

That's really cool you figured out a trigger. Understanding and combatting why we eat for reasons other than hunger is the biggest challenge!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I also discovered something about myself that will definitely help me to control some impulse eating that I have on occasion. When I have nervous energy, I will eat. I never made the connection before. So for instance, I was at work doing a task and should have been focused. Mid-way through the task, I started going through in my head all the other things I needed to do. So I stood up, tried to figure out what I should do first (I should have kept doing what I was already doing!) and instead of redirecting to a new task, I got out my extra snack and ate it. Then I returned to my previous activity. I didn't make the connection about eating and nervous energy until I did it the third day in a row. This week I have felt myself drawn in way too many directions at work and don't think I have enough time to accomplish any task correctly, thus the nervous energy and long list of "to-dos".

but now I know an eating trigger and that will allow me to be more mindful in the future!
Oh, me to! I'm an emotional eater, and stress or upset causes me to crave pancakes or ice cream! Tell me my MIL is coming to visit for 2 weeks and I want to start baking a cake! I recently listened to a podcast about eating triggers and they recommended hot tea, particularly one with cinnamon in it (if you like that sort of thing) when you have emotional cravings. It's not pancakes but it sure does help and I certainly enjoy not having the sugar crash later.

It sounds like you need to go shopping! I just wish it wasn't so expensive, but it is so nice to be moving in the right direction. Congrats!

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it --Margaret Thatcher

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 PM

It's time for a very speedy update as it's proving to be another busy week!

Thanks for all the comments - I know I'm not alone in "eating for other reasons" (other than hunger) but it is nice to see how many different reasons people do eat for; it makes me feel much better!

And I must report, unfortunately, that I did not meet my goal of hemming even 1 pair of pants! I remembered as I was going to bed last night. So much for accountability in writing! I do know about Worthington's pants, Shannon - they are what I often wear. I wear "shorts" if they have them so I don't have to hem them and the size 6 short length are even starting to ride a bit too low!

I did manage to do my "make up" BW workout as planned on Friday. And then yesterday I felt very weak when I did my regularly scheduled workout - I guess not enough rest at the right time.

My weight was coming down up until the middle of this past week but it's back up again...can't really explain it, although I'm guessing it's just fluid retention/hormones/etc. My caliper measurements are coming down and my tape measure shows some minor changes there, so it seems things are heading in the right direction even if the scale decided to bounce the other way again! I'm starting week 4 and will take measurements at the end of this week to see if pics show the changes that I think I'm seeing. Sometimes pics can be a bit depressing, though, as you don't look the same in the pics as what the mirror shows. Or maybe it's just that you can't pretend that you look better than you do once it's captured as an image!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Another quick update...

Day 26

Did my workout last night and ran intervals during the day. The workout was a good one, but strange. I have one more workout this week and then will have 2 days of rest, which I obviously need!

Amusing highlights:
On my last superset, on the 3rd round...I was only able to do 2 elevated push-ups on the second side! I just could not do any more (and those 2 were on my knees!). I was supposed to do 15 per side! I was chuckling because it was so pathetic for what I should be able to do!

When I was "resting" between supersets earlier on, I tried to sit on the stability ball and couldn't even keep my balance. Sitting! I tried several times, and ended up just leaning back on it and laughing.

On the 1-legged stability ball jackknife, I actually was able to do all 6 reps this time...amazing! Last time I couldn't even do more than a few regular (2-legged) jackknives! That was quite odd because the 1-legged jackknife is part of the last superset and after being through the entire workout...and unable to even sit on the balance ball earlier on...I was quite impressed with myself that I could do this exercise!

So a very strange workout, indeed! A good one, mind you, just kinda funny at times!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Day 29...

Last day of week 4 was yesterday; as planned and as suggested by Craig somewhere, I took 4 week pictures. I was very happy with the pictures - while my weight hasn't changed by more than 2 lbs at most on some days (and I'm not in this contest to see weight change, anyway), the visual differences that I thought I could see showed up on the pictures. Yay!

I'm in the midst of my 2 off days; this was after working out every other day for 7 days without a break to "get back on track". Something I definitely don't recommend. I hope this week will show me improvements in my strength as a result of the 2 off days.

I've moved my fasts from Sun-Mon and Thurs-Fri to Sun-Mon and Wed-Thurs. I found that since Friday night -Saturday night I give myself the license to eat sweets (in moderation, of course) that it was beginning to feel like I was rewarding myself at the end of the fast on Friday evening. I definitely didn't want to begin to associate treats with the end of a fast! Plus, I often felt motivated to do a fast on Wednesday night but didn't feel the same way on Thursday night - so it was more of a struggle at the start on Thursday evenings. When Lent starts in March, I'll move my fast back to Friday since that's a day of fasting anyway.

Last night I had my biggest "splurge" since this contest started - I got a coffee/chocolate/mint smoothie from Sheetz...yummy! And I had a coupon (even better) which made it free..so I got a large! I had this around 5:00 pm and then felt comfortably full. So I delayed my dinner until 9:00 and then only ate a salad. So I guess I came out "even" in the end. I have no idea how many calories were in that smoothie, but it was worth every one of them!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Woo! That's great the photos are showing changes too! That smoothie sounds amazing btw...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM

Yay, its awesome that your pics are showing changes!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Great to hear that pictures show changes!