TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 AM

Default Changing my mind

Hi everyone! I'm officially starting on Monday, but thought I'd start my journal now.

To make a very long story short, I was overweight through my teens and twenties, then lost a lot of weight (80+ pounds), but have really struggled with keeping that stable over the last 5 years.

My weight has just crept up and up in the last year and a half, through work stress and a lot of other excuses. Right now, I'm 10+ pounds over where I was at the start of the very first TT Transformation Challenge, yikes!

I'm pretty good about exercising regularly (love how convenient TT workouts are!). But, it's far too easy to think that I can eat more, and more junk/sweets, than my body can actually handle it. I think I should be able to eat in a certain way, and clearly that's not true. Maybe other people can, but I can't, and I need to accept that.
In order to change my weight, I need to change what my mind thinks is normal and manageable eating.

Other than my weight, I need to start thinking seriously about my long term health. I have high cholesterol, although my doctor seems not very concerned about it; my HDL is very very good but LDL is also high. I'm also at risk for Type II diabetes; my father and his mother both have the disease (despite little history of weight problems for either of them).

My husband is a LADA diabetic (different from Type I and Type II, look it up on google for details), and he eats better when I eat better. In general, he eats better than I do because he really watches his blood sugar, but we need to both set a better example for each other.
We were talking in the car today about the fact that everyone knows having high blood sugar spikes has long term consequences - but eating a lot of sweets really is bad for my health too, it's just not as obvious.
So we both need to think more about how what we eat is affecting our long term health.

I'm working on a list of goals, I'll be setting overall goals and weekly goals, depending on what is going on in my life each week. I'm also working on a list of obstacles (vacations, trips for work, etc.) and how to deal with them.

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 09-05-2010, 04:00 AM

Great to see some familiar faces back this contest! Nice to have you back for TC9!

You've done really well in the past and you're familiar with the workouts etc so I'm sure you'll do well this time around too.

It's admirable that you're taking the necessary steps now to prevent illness and health problems further down the line in this age of "a pill for every ill" approach to medicine and health-care. I can relate to your situation - I've been "borderline" with cholesterol and insulin-resistance for some time and of course, the older you get, the more of a concern it becomes.

Best of luck to you in this contest and I hope you reach your fitness and health goals!

Find me on Facebook
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Evenstar - Good luck with your goals! You always attack the contests physically and mentally and I know you will be very successful!

"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."
~Drew Carey
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Good luck! Seems like just about everyone is starting on Monday
Old 09-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Good luck! I look forward to supporting each other throughout the contest!

Also of interest: one of the things my doctor is most interested in studying is the affect that decreasing blood sugars can have on cholesterol levels. There's some evidence now that shows blood sugar can have a greater impact on cholesterol levels than fat consumption does. In fact, I know my levels have plummeted in the last 10 months as I eliminated grains, sugars, and starchy carbs from my diet. Might be something you want to explore further.

-Jen
Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Thanks for all your comments! The support on this forum is always great, that's definitely my #1 reason for joining another contest.

Jen, you probably know that there's a clear connection between obesity (specifically waist circumference), diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure; that's often called Metabolic Syndrome.
My husband has diabetes and high cholesterol but not the rest; unfortunately both are beyond dietary control for him now (he is very thin and eats few starchy carbs).
I'm not sure how much effect blood sugar could have on cholesterol for a non-diabetic though. If you're not diabetic, your blood sugar should never be outside of a certain range, and thus wouldn't be high enough to affect cholesterol, if there is a link there. It may just be that the same foods are bad for both - my doctor says I should worry a lot more about eating "junk food" than eating food that naturally contains cholesterol like cheese and eggs. And I have a lot of junk to cut out of my diet right now before I'd consider eliminating grains and other unrefined carbs.

Current TT Log

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Hi Evenstar, best of luck as you get started in this contest. You should be so proud of how far you have come, and the fact that you have been committed to following TT even when life is so stressful. It is so good that you are thinking forward to maximizing your future health.

I can empathize with the struggle with cutting out the junk food. Before I started the 7th contest I was working out, but I hadn't started tracking calories and was still eating too much junk. Daily M&Ms and coffee creamer at home, eating a ton and drinking starbucks drinks (which I know now are >350 cal each) when I traveled-I never denied myself anything.

Once I started to focus on how it made me feel afterward it became easier to pass up junk-for example, I always felt sick the next morning after eating cheesecake or drinking red wine. Now it's much easier to pass up those things and others with the same effect. I had a mantra I would use on myself (and other people who tried to pressure me into eating things I didn't need)-"That food is not going to get me where I want to be." You might find something like that helpful. Good luck with all your goals!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Thanks, Starbuck! Yes, it's definitely a struggle to cut out the junk that creeps in. I do really well during the week, not so well most weekends, and terrible during unexpected situations. But I know what to do, just have to do it!

Current TT Log

Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Default Goals and plan

Goals for this challenge:
  • Lose 8 pounds by October 16
  • Lose 15 pounds by November 28
  • Do 20 pushups in a row with good form
  • Do 1 chin up from a straight hanging position
Activity Plan:
  • TT workouts 3 days/week
  • Plan when I am going to do workouts for each week (usually Mon-Wed-Fri)
  • Be active 6 days/week
  • Set a weekly goal for average daily steps - usually 10,000
Nutrition Plan:
  • Generally follow Precision Nutrition guidelines:
    • Eat every 2-4 hours (unless I'm fasting)
    • Eat lean protein at each meal (legumes or nuts are ok for snacks)
    • Eat vegetables at each meal (fruit is ok instead of vegetable sometimes)
    • Eat starchy carbs only after a workout (also ok for breakfast in limited quantities)
    • Eat healthy fats
    • Plan 10% meals
  • 7 tsp fish oil (first 2 weeks), then drop to 3 tsp
  • Take daily multivitamin and Vitamin D
  • Fasting 1-2 days/week (18 to 24 hours) - may not do every week
I will also post my daily activity and nutrition, and set weekly goals to help plan for the different problems that I know will come up each week.

Current TT Log

Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM

And a bunch of techniques to try to help with my biggest eating issues...

Overeating on weekends:
  • Plan snacks or at least a snack calorie limit so I don't overeat just because I'm bored
  • Wait 15 minutes to eat if I might be bored instead of actually hungry
  • Read upstairs or downstairs, further away from the kitchen
  • Drink more water so I don't think I'm hungry when I'm really thirsty
  • Measure high calorie foods (nuts, cheese, etc); if I don't want to measure, that's a sign that I'm going to eat too much
Stress eating and general stress relief:
  • Plan 15-30 minute walks at lunch to get out of the office
  • Make good choices when eating out for lunch - salads, lower calorie soups, etc.
  • Drink tea (cinnamon or flavored black tea) at work when I crave sweets
  • Don't eat sweets when stressed because that leads to binging
  • Shut down computer by 8:30 on school nights
  • Try foam rolling 2-3 times/week
  • Epsom salt baths
Perfectionism, or how to not be so strict that I crash:
  • Plan to have a treat meal on Saturdays
  • Occasional small treats are ok, if planned in advance
  • Eat carbs after workouts; consider that necessary energy for my next workout
  • If I'm feeling low energy, eat more healthy foods
  • If I slip up, just move on - don't try to be extra strict to make up for it
  • List goals achieved and other successes each week
Specific events that I will need to plan for:
  • My birthday, Sept. 12
  • Family visit, Oct. 2-11
  • Trip to Fairbanks, 3rd week in Oct? (work)
  • 2nd trip to Fairbanks/Juneau/Anchorage, 1st week in Nov? (work)
  • Trip to San Diego for Thanksgiving with in-laws, Nov. 20-26

Current TT Log

Last edited by evenstar74 : 09-05-2010 at 10:56 PM.