TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Naomi, you're spot on here, darling. Once I went back and looked at the math myself I had to literally laugh out loud. When I was 236 pounds losing 2 to 3 pounds a week was pretty much effortless. At 167 pounds, however, it's downright unrealistic. :-P A pound a week is going to be a lofty enough goal for me at this point, methinks.

Anyway, had my appointment with the doctor this morning and it was funny...she really wasn't worried at all about my little transgression. Her comment to me was something along the lines of "this is real life and you're going to see some ups and downs going forward." Not only that, but unfortunately, as she told me, my body is in "conservation mode" after having lost so much weight in the last year (in other words, it ain't givin' up any more than it has to now). Because of that, every little transgression is going to show on the scale...even those that are small and temporary. We basically came to an agreement not to worry about it so much (unless I continue with the upward trend, which I have no plans of, obviously!), and that I should just keep doing what I'm doing. (Which was quite a relief, between you and me, since I tried to eat a couple of the supplements yesterday and almost had to choke them down...just NOT satisfying any more. I've gotten so used to healthy whole food meals with different tastes and textures that take some time to eat and enjoy.)

So, scale says 167 this morning and I'm owning it. It is what it is.

Exercise yesterday was great. Awesome TT Intermediate B workout, with some actual weight on the reverse lunges (10 pounds to be exact). My legs and glutes are getting stronger every day!

That was the other interesting thing about my appointment this morning. I can't tell you how many compliments I got from folks -- everyone from the tech to the other patients in the waiting room who see me every week. They were all convinced I'd lost weight. But, no, it's the TT workouts doing their job! Despite the ups and downs on the scale the last few weeks, I'm continuing to get firmer and leaner. Now if I can just put the two efforts together (continued clean eating with no transgressions AND my TT workouts) I'll be all set!

The other interesting thing my doc was talking about, which I actually agree with, is that this change in weather, increasing darkness due to shorter days, etc. is wreaking havoc on most of her patients right now. As the seasons change, so to do our dispositions, need for sleep, increased desires for certain foods, etc. It's the primal being in us, and it's very hard to fight our nature.

Nutrition was fine yesterday, as I knew it would be. I ate supplements for breakfast, lunch and morning and afternoon snacks, and then by dinner said, "you've got to be kidding me!" and ate some leftover turkey breast, some nice broccoli and an apple, along with my normal chocolate protein bar for evening snack. Total calories for the day were just 1060, but I'm not surprised, since I wasn't exactly starving after the food I ate the day before! :-P

Here's to a continued good run today. Hope you're all having a great weekend thus far.

Best,
Jen
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 PM

You make a really good point about the change in the seasons. You only have to look at the rest of wildlife to see all the animals packing on as much weight as they can to tide then over the winter. In evolutionary terms, we are pre-programmed to do the same.

Clearly we need to postpone this contest and resume in the Springtime.

For all those reading in the Southern Hemisphere, sorry if you feel excluded. BTW, you now have a seasonal 10lb handicap added to any weight loss you achieve!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:49 PM

I quite like your doc. She sounds sensible. And I agree on the seasonal stuff. I must make more effort to get out during the day now it's finally cool enough. Yep, I live close to the equator but am still effected. If I stil lived up north, I'd use light therapy to help combat SADS.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Your doctor does sound very reasonable. For one thing, I know it's harder to get out of bed in the morning when it's still dark outside!

You seem back on track and ready for success! Your workout and nutrition will be in sync in no time. In fact, yesterday looks pretty darn good! (Or is that 2 days ago? I'm looking at the date of your last post and realizing I'm a little behind!)

"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."
~Drew Carey

Last edited by cesium0122 : 10-04-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 AM

Smile

Keep up the great work Jen, you are doing really really well. Just think how far you have come already, seems your nurse and Doc speak a lot of common sense.

Well done, keep on trucking cheers KT
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks all! Things are going well here. Just SUPER busy. Lots going on at work and hubby is out of town, so there's a bit more to do around the house, as well.

Have to agree that my doctor is not only reasonable, but a really phenomenal woman who is willing to look at a side of weight loss and nutrition that many simply ignore. I feel VERY lucky to have found her.

The darker shorter days are really taking their toll on me. I find myself wanting to just lay around and eat warm, nourishing foods. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm getting through it, but it is taking some real, solid effort! Like yesterday when I got home I didn't want to workout at all, which is very unlike me. I forced myself to change and hop on the treadmill, knowing that once I did I'd get into the groove and find the desire to do my TT workout, which I did. But it took some real effort! And then, after I finished dinner, I found myself not feeling satisfied. So I ended up eating a fair bit more than usual. And, honestly, the only explanation I have for it is the change in seasons. It gets SUPER gray and yucky here in Cleveland at this time of year. We can literally go days without seeing the sun. (Which is thankfully supposed to make an extended appearance in another day or two!) Essentially this is just one more challenge for me to take on: how do I accomodate my body's needs as the seasons change toward less accomodating conditions? Last year during this time (when I started my new way of life) I was in a COMPLETELY different place: couldn't exercise or even walk because of the plantar fasciitis, and I was on an 850 calorie a day supplement only plan (which left zero room for error), etc. Now I'm exercising regularly, am 70 pounds lighter, and am eating real food, all of which change the circumstances. So this is a new experience. And once I figure it out, I'll be prepared for next year. But this is the first time I've gone through this as the new me...and there's a definite learning curve involved.

Speaking of yummy seasonal food, I had baby brussels sprouts last night sauteed in a bit of olive oil with some Celtic sea salt with my dinner (a beautiful piece of lemon sole and a fresh Honeycrisp apple from one of my favorite orchards). Oh my, were they divine! Seasonal eating rocks!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post
Thanks all! Things are going well here. Just SUPER busy. Lots going on at work and hubby is out of town, so there's a bit more to do around the house, as well.

Have to agree that my doctor is not only reasonable, but a really phenomenal woman who is willing to look at a side of weight loss and nutrition that many simply ignore. I feel VERY lucky to have found her.

The darker shorter days are really taking their toll on me. I find myself wanting to just lay around and eat warm, nourishing foods. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm getting through it, but it is taking some real, solid effort! Like yesterday when I got home I didn't want to workout at all, which is very unlike me. I forced myself to change and hop on the treadmill, knowing that once I did I'd get into the groove and find the desire to do my TT workout, which I did. But it took some real effort! And then, after I finished dinner, I found myself not feeling satisfied. So I ended up eating a fair bit more than usual. And, honestly, the only explanation I have for it is the change in seasons. It gets SUPER gray and yucky here in Cleveland at this time of year. We can literally go days without seeing the sun. (Which is thankfully supposed to make an extended appearance in another day or two!) Essentially this is just one more challenge for me to take on: how do I accomodate my body's needs as the seasons change toward less accomodating conditions? Last year during this time (when I started my new way of life) I was in a COMPLETELY different place: couldn't exercise or even walk because of the plantar fasciitis, and I was on an 850 calorie a day supplement only plan (which left zero room for error), etc. Now I'm exercising regularly, am 70 pounds lighter, and am eating real food, all of which change the circumstances. So this is a new experience. And once I figure it out, I'll be prepared for next year. But this is the first time I've gone through this as the new me...and there's a definite learning curve involved.

Speaking of yummy seasonal food, I had baby brussels sprouts last night sauteed in a bit of olive oil with some Celtic sea salt with my dinner (a beautiful piece of lemon sole and a fresh Honeycrisp apple from one of my favorite orchards). Oh my, were they divine! Seasonal eating rocks!
My brother lived in Cleveland for a year when he was doing his fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic. The only thing he didn't like about the place was the winter weather (I visited him over the Thanksgiving weekend - we had 4ft of snow by the morning!)

You've had a remarkable journey so far and deserve to be proud of what you have achieved. And getting up and hopping on to the treadmill when you didn't feel like it are just some of the tactics that will help you truly reach the point where you will feel happy, proud and confident of your body and health.