TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 01:12 PM

The grains and dairy issue is one I've gotten much more invovled in during the course of the past year. I've also heard from many sources that we're all essentially allergic to grain. And I can tell you that my digestion and over all health have improved dramatically since eliminating it. I can get all of the carbohydrate I need through other sources (like fruits and veggies, which I love) so I'm quite content to leave it out of my diet.

Dairy is much tougher one for me. I've tried to adopt the raw/organic stance, but it's tough to find everything in raw form around here just due to the laws and such. So I've cut everything pasteurized but the Greek yogurt from my diet at this point. The other thing is that I don't have a problem with dairy (at least not an obvious one like I do with grains). When I've eliminated it and added it back in the past there's been no difference at all. But then, we have to look at the other factors out there like our cultural heritage. People coming from areas/cultures where milk, for example, has been consumed for hundreds of years have much less of an issue with it than those who are descended from peoples who never ate it.

I find this kind of "science" to be SO fascinating! The whole bio-individuality thing is key!

-Jen
Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post
The grains and dairy issue is one I've gotten much more invovled in during the course of the past year. I've also heard from many sources that we're all essentially allergic to grain. And I can tell you that my digestion and over all health have improved dramatically since eliminating it. I can get all of the carbohydrate I need through other sources (like fruits and veggies, which I love) so I'm quite content to leave it out of my diet.

Dairy is much tougher one for me. I've tried to adopt the raw/organic stance, but it's tough to find everything in raw form around here just due to the laws and such. So I've cut everything pasteurized but the Greek yogurt from my diet at this point. The other thing is that I don't have a problem with dairy (at least not an obvious one like I do with grains). When I've eliminated it and added it back in the past there's been no difference at all. But then, we have to look at the other factors out there like our cultural heritage. People coming from areas/cultures where milk, for example, has been consumed for hundreds of years have much less of an issue with it than those who are descended from peoples who never ate it.

I find this kind of "science" to be SO fascinating! The whole bio-individuality thing is key!

-Jen
I don't know about allergies but it seems to me that grains aren't natural for people to eat. I like to look at other species and if there's a food that only people eat, then chances are it isn't really good for us. If we need to cook it in any way in order to eat it, then how can our bodies be equipped to digest it properly? We can't evolve that fast!

If I lived on my own I'd try dumping grains right now... I have to think of my man though. He eats vegan without complaining so I don't want to restrict the menu any more... Right now I'm having a 20g of porridge for breakfast and most teas have some form of grain...

What about pulses? What are folk's takes on those bad boys?

I guess my ideal diet would be that of a vegetarian cave woman Or a vegetarian chimp! Just a veggie chimp that enjoys the odd beer now and then

Sorry Naomi, for hijacking your thread!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1 View Post
Remind me...are you following Isabel's diet? Or are you doing something else? I just can't remember...
Sort of. I agree with her almost entirely except she does grains and I've since gone off them philoshically. And in practice, almost entirely. Today would me my day to have them and I can't even think of it. I think it will be about a monthly thing for special occasions or times I'm served food I should just shut up and eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weetamclan View Post
Raw food for 6 months!Cavemen didn't have ovens afterall! Have you ever tried some kind of nut oil for cooking? I think that's not too bad, health wise?... dairy is for cows!
Going raw was a wonderful experiment and I used to think I'd go back. It's worth it just to learn how to get wholesome foods in. I was with you on dairy is for cows until the WAP research came across my desk. So confusing. Except for the 1st time ever, I feel I am okay. I no longer believe we are meant to be vegan either. It's taken me years to get here and I could change again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post
I've also heard from many sources that we're all essentially allergic to grain.
I agree. And confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weetamclan View Post
I don't know about allergies but it seems to me that grains aren't natural for people to eat. I like to look at other species and if there's a food that only people eat, then chances are it isn't really good for us. If we need to cook it in any way in order to eat it, then how can our bodies be equipped to digest it properly? We can't evolve that fast!

What about pulses? What are folk's takes on those bad boys?

Sorry Naomi, for hijacking your thread!
Hijacking is fun and my fav thing.
I think the grains are for my chickens and then we eat the eggs and all is good. They must lay one a day because so many animals take the yummy things. Pulses-is that beans? If so, I have never been able to digest them no matter how much soaking nor rinsing.

I am so nervous! Well, not any more. But I was! My daughter's 1st gymnastics competition was this morning and I thought she did great! But the awards were hard to hear due to a bad microphone and none of the girls from her school won a thing for 20 minutes. I was about ready to cry! Then they started winning and all was well. It turns out that there were so many girls, they divided them up by age and we had no girls in the first category. Ah. So anyway, all that stress has not quite left my system. I was so scared for my baby. She got 4 medals so whew! I'm so proud. My older daughter, like me, not a natural athlete, has her 2nd triathlon tomorrow morning. I am so happy for her! She is into it all!

I am off to do workout C once I'm done digesting. Then I pick a new workout for next week. Am I a meathead? A warrior? A Goddess? Hey, how come there is no goddess workout?
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 10-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestme View Post

Going raw was a wonderful experiment and I used to think I'd go back. It's worth it just to learn how to get wholesome foods in. I was with you on dairy is for cows until the WAP research came across my desk. So confusing. Except for the 1st time ever, I feel I am okay. I no longer believe we are meant to be vegan either. It's taken me years to get here and I could change again.

What is the WAP research? I'd be interested to read it. I don't believe we are meant to be vegan and I doubt many vegans think so either. It's modern farming rather than munching meat itself I believe most disagree with. I do however believe that people aren't designed to eat meat as frequently as many do these days.

Anyway, after all this grain chat I'm off to eat pasta and garlic bread

If only I could walk the walk!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Weston A Price. I spelled it incorrectly above. Google it. He looked at how a modern diet ruined the teeth of people from cultures who had been eating "traditional" foods. There is a book with tons if recipes and info called Nourishing Traditions. Most of it is too hard for me but I have done a few bone broths. I am not inclined to make my own of so many things but I can see the logic. Raw sauerkraut is a good idea, for example. I've only done it once. Nearly free probiotics.

I am with you on modern farming. That is why I buy raw, grass fed, no abx nor growth hormones, mostly organic, etc. And have chickens who have a great life.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If we need to cook it in any way in order to eat it, then how can our bodies be equipped to digest it properly? We can't evolve that fast!
Hominids have been cooking food for at least 250,000 years, possibly as long as 1.9 million years ago. Certainly long enough for adaptations to our teeth, jaw, intestines, etc.
This is pretty interesting:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0810064914.htm

I have to pick a new workout too... need to look at some of the circuit workouts, I always like those.

Congratulations to your daughter! It can be nerve wracking waiting for results!

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Today's food - not good. And by that, I mean, good, but I can't seem to hit my target. I'm having trouble hitting the goals. It's supposed to be a refeed. Not really getting there and it's already 8:30. I just don't think I can eat much more good food. There is a party I have been invited to and might still go to but I'm feeling kinda full. Of course, there would likely be not great food there and I am sure I could easily hit the target but I'm not really interested in just crap. I'll stall a tad longer and then see if I feel better.

And smoothie issues again. This is the last time I try a smoothie as a pre-workout drink. I will just eat food like I was doing. I waited 2 1/2 hours and it still was impossible to do anything abs related. Ruined those parts of my workout entirely.

So I did hardcore, workout C, if I remember correctly. Might have been B. The get-ups went swimmingly with an 8 lb dumbbell. No shoulder pain! That's a relief! But all the stability ball stuff - total fail. And I had to leave out any pushups. I did a pull up row instead of renegade row because those bother my shoulder. I worked my butt off on the stuff I could do. I did 1 1/2 reps for the one legged bench squats 1st set and did 20 reps 2nd and 3rd set. I put in extra reps on stuff that worked fine and did a few substitutes for stuff that tweaked my shoulder or involved stomach. Lesson firmly learned about smoothies. I wonder if it was the spinach I've been putting in there.

Tomorrow morning, registration starts at 6:30 am for my daughter's triathlon. This time I will remember the video camera! I have realized my camera is totally unsuitable for sports.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 PM

In spite of the problems, looks like a great workout. You seem so focussed and self-aware at the moment and that is definitely a recipe for success.