TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetamclan View Post
Evening doll, how is that shin holding up? Can you do the bike or something till it gets better?
Funny you mentioned the bike. I loaned my recumbent bike out some months ago to a friend recovering from ACL surgery. It hasn't made its way back yet. Which is okay, as I've since purchased additional workout equipment that is now where the bike used to be! See how that works!? :-P Seriously, while I can't walk at the moment, the EFX does seem to be okay, so I think that'll be the answer for the coming week. And, as much as I hate to say it (because I HATE not working out...namely because I prefer the way I feel when I do) the very worst that happens is I take my days off between TT sessions as full days off. The rest would, honestly, do me good I am sure. *sigh*

Quote:
Can I think of any more questions? Let's see, what's your favourite colour?
Ooh, ooh! That's an easy one! Green! But not any old green...bright, kelly green...like a sparkling emerald! And yours?!

Quote:
Lastly, on a scale of one to ten, how awesome do you feel due to losing pounds faster than investment bankers?
Ha! Love it! A ten my dear! Most days a ripe ol' tenner!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 PM

Hey Jen-
Sorry you had some manager angst going too, but I'm glad you dealt with it. Sometimes you just have to put out there what you're worried about.

How's the Intermediate workout going - you're on Week 2 now, right? Are you still getting sore?

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstar74 View Post
Hey Jen-
Sorry you had some manager angst going too, but I'm glad you dealt with it. Sometimes you just have to put out there what you're worried about.

How's the Intermediate workout going - you're on Week 2 now, right? Are you still getting sore?
Intermediate workout is going really well! And, yes, I'm on week 2. (Good memory, Evenstar! ) Even better, no more soreness! I can tell I worked out, but it's nothing like it was the first week. Isn't it amazing how quickly our bodies adapt?!

My biggest challenges are the stability ball rollouts and stability ball jack knives. Both are getting better, but I still feel like I'm not doing something quite right. I keep watching Craig's videos for the exercises and refinining my technique, so I'm sure I'll get there eventually. But it's a little awkward in the meantime! :-P
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Tuesday, September 28

Pretty good day, overall. My one issue was that I didn't get my 30 minutes of exericse in. Combination of two factors: 1) I was supposed to walk at lunch and it rained the WHOLE day. Of course, even if it hadn't rained, I really shouldn't have been walking any way on account of this shin splint issue I'm dealing with. 2) I could have used the Precor EFX machine for my walk, which doesn't require me to move my feet/use that muscle in my shin, after work except I had a pedicure appointment last night and couldn't put socks and shoes on afterward. *laugh* Stupid sounding, I know...but I wasn't about to waste all of that money by ruining the polish job! (And I must say, the foot and leg massage felt amazing given all of the work I've been doing and the shin issue...) So there was no exercise yesterday at all. I really don't like missing my workouts. Not only do I feel they are necessary for my continued weight loss, but mentally and physically, I don't feel as well when I don't get one in. Go figure. I actually rely on exercise now!

Food was okay yesterday, I likely ate too many calories given that I didn't exercise, and I ate a mango before dinner that I didn't really need, but was (mentally) hungry for something else. I figured there were worse things to pick. But it was a lot of extra carbs and calories considering I didn't workout... Needless to say, the scale was up 1.5 pounds today. Yes, my body really does hold water when I increase my carbs by that much and don't burn any of them via exercise. It's amazing how sensitive it is to these things. And I know it's just water, but it still stinks when the scale jumps from 161.8 to 163.3 in 24 hours. Ah well. Today is a TT day, so I'll be getting in my weights and my interval training. (Which I'm really looking forward to!)

Here are yesterday's stats:

Exercise:
None

Nutrition:
1600 calories (19% fat / 55% carbs / 26% protein)
Breakfast - egg white omelet with sundried tomatoes and feta cheese, strawberries
Lunch - giant salad with turkey breast and avocado
Afternoon Snack - fat free Greek yogurt with flaxseed meal
Pre-Workout Snack (even though there was no workout...) - carrot cake Larabar
Pre-Dinner Snack (even though it flat out wasn't needed...) - mango
Dinner - turkey breast, spaghetti squash, honeycrisp apple
After Dinner Snack - chocolate protein bar

Hope you're all having a good Wednesday in your part of the world!
Jen
Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post

Ooh, ooh! That's an easy one! Green! But not any old green...bright, kelly green...like a sparkling emerald! And yours?!

A deep jewel torquoise, although emerald would be second favourite! My, what good taste we have
Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post
And I must say, the foot and leg massage felt amazing given all of the work I've been doing and the shin issue.

A foot massage sounds heavenly! I keep hinting at my husband, but he's terrible with hints. Hope your shins feel better soon!

"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."
~Drew Carey
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 PM

Glad to hear you're not sore now! I'm usually like that too, really sore in week 1, even if I only do 2 sets, but then pretty good after that.

I wouldn't worry about missing the 30 minutes of exercise occasionally, that's really meant to keep us active in general. Some of the most interesting data I get from my BodyMedia device (a BodyBugg that's just branded differently) is that more calories are burned by just being more active all day than by an actual workout. I burn way more calories in an average day at work than a weekend day where I mostly sit around the house.

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 AM

Hi all,
Been a bit of a bumpy last couple of days. Busy at work, weather hasn't been so nice, and I've been dealing with some pretty major carb/sweet cravings on account of an uptick in intake and lack of exercise between TT workouts (due to the healing shin). Had a couple of bingey episodes the last two evenings and have made a very conscious decision to return to the exact nutrition plan my doctor started me out with for awhile. I think I need to refocus, and reliance on a set plan where I don't have to think about what I'm eating or how much, etc. (since it's already laid out for me), seems to be exactly what I need right now. My husband is going to be out of town on business for a couple of weeks here, too, so I won't need to cook or prepare food for him. This makes this idea extremely timely.

I also have three weeks exactly from today until my one year anniversary of starting my new lifestyle. I think there's a little self-competitiveness kicking in, too, in that I really would like to see how much more I can accomplish in the next few weeks. On October 22 I will officially be able to say I lost "X" pounds in my first year. I want to make a real go of it. Plus, to be honest, my goal from the get-go has been to lose all 101 pounds by my 35th birthday, which is on January 28. I have about four months to go, and approximately 30 pounds left to lose. I REALLY want to do it. (Or at least come darned close trying!) That's about two pounds a week I need to knock off, so it won't be easy. But I feel like I've been giving it my all for a couple of weeks...and then slacking for a couple...then giving it my all...then slacking for a couple, since sometime in June. The result is that I've lost about 15 pounds in the last 4 months. That's not horrible (it's about a pound a week), but it's not great, either. And I know I can do better. So I'm going back to the basics.

My plan is to continue my TT workouts and walking on my off days. I'll have to wait and see how my body reacts on the more restricted calories plus exercise at my current level. Worst that happens is I'll add in one extra meal to accomodate it. But, like everything else, we'll just have to wait and see. Yet another science experiment in the works!

Foodwise I am planning to do two full weeks on the exact "jump start" plan per my doc. After that, I'll likely start on the "modified" plan and do that for at least the last two weeks of October. Then, come November 1, I'll re-evaluate. At that point, I'll either continue with the modified plan (depending on how I'm feeling and how the weight loss is progressing), or I'll switch over to the "do-it-yourself" plan. (The differences between all of these, btw, is the number of meal supplements used vs. food you have to put together yourself...)

I have my normal weigh-in and appointment with my doc/nutritionist tomorrow morning, so I'll run all of this by them then and see what they think, but I'm guessing they'll be on board. I'm also guessing the scale will be up a few pounds from last week. But, I'm doing something about it, and that's what matters.

I'm really trying to re-focus on my needs and priorities as I tackle this next month. It's not going to be easy, but, typically, anything worth really working for isn't, is it?

TT Intermediate Workout B is on-tap for tonight. Still feeling the lunges from Wednesday, so it oughta be a good one!

Happy Friday all!
Jen
Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Hi Jen,

Just a thought - you appear to have recognised what has triggered your carb/sugar cravings. What strategy do you have in place to deal with the binge that this could trigger?

I've found for me that better food choices need a two fold strategy

1 - recognise what is the trigger that causes me to make bad food choices. A deadly one for me is after a busy evening shift, if I come home and feel the need to chill out and put a DVD on, I can get through a bottle of wine, a pizza and half a pound of jelly sweets in 90 minutes!!

2 - create a strategy to deal with it. I know that I cannot go shopping after finishing work in the evening.

Congratulations on how well you've already done. That 101lbs is a great goal to shoot for. If we only aim for tiny goals, we only ever make tiny progress!!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 PM

I don't mean to put you off an awesome goal, but, everything I've read says 2 lbs a week for such a light person is a lot. Last contest, I went from mid 160s to 147. I forget but that's roughly the range. I was shooting for 2 lbs a week and I lost about 13 pounds in 12 weeks. Even at my weight, it just didn't happen for me - the being able to drop at 2 lbs per week. It's a function of how much body fat is left. And the less there is, the harder the body wants to hold onto it.

It's also a function of how many calories you need to live and how much of a deficit you can create. If your maintenance calories were 1800, for example, your deficit would put you into starvation mode if you hit it every day. The numbers just don't work out. And as you get smaller, maintenance calories go down.

I've spent far too much time playing with numbers, clearly!
My TT#9 contest thread