TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 12th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Default All I want for Christmas...

Its probably a little too early to perch upon Santa's knee, but I think its a perfect time to lay out some major items that will put a sparkle in my eye when I wake up on Christmas Morning...
The holidays are a favorite time of the year, and the added lights, the tree, fires in the fireplace just really bring out a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
To add to that joyous time of the year, I'd like to have good health. I'd like to be the picture of health too...

Of course, that means a fit trim athletic looking body.
Twelve weeks from now isn't quite Christmas, but I know if I see this through like I did back for TT10, I will get amazing results again.
I am excited for TT12 because at this point I have NO military training for extended amounts of time planned, or deployments (of course this can all change at a moment's notice as I found during TT11).
Hockey Season starts the end of September for me and runs pretty much the whole winter, so I have a guaranteed 1 hard hour of interval training each week.
I have some added support through my boyfriend and my son, we will work together to achieve our fitness goals.

Speaking of goals, how about I put some concrete goals down here in writing?

1.) You know those 'skinny' clothes you have shoved in the back of the closet, taking up precious space? The ones you just cannot part with because ONE DAY they will fit. Yup, I've got those clothes and that ONE DAY will occur within the next 12 weeks and 5 days. There's a particular pair of jeans I totally adore, and I'd like to feel good in them again. Now I'm several sizes away, but I lose inches off my bottom half more than I lose pounds :-)

2.) The military is very important to me, and as we become more geared toward joint forces (air force is deploying alongside army soldiers) the physical fitness ante is being raised. I came across a deployment opportunity that required all who are tasked to be able to pass all of the army physical fitness components with at least 70 points.
My goal for this is a range, because I am not wanting to put limits on what I can achieve

Pretty Respectable and I'd be pleased is a 70 in each category: P/U 23 S/U 51 2MI RUN 20:18

Really Cool, and Excited is an 80 in each category: P/U 30 S/U 59 2 MI RUN 18:48

Holy Cow, I'm amazing is a 90 in each category: P/U 38 S/U 68 2 MI RUN 17:24

Yeah, that's right I'm hard core now, is maxed out 100 in each category: P/U 45 S/U 76 2 MI RUN 15:54

3.) My weight goal is to get down below 149 pounds (ultimately this will be way lower)

4.) the ever elusive pull up. I'm feeling greedy on this one, I want to be able to do 10 unassisted pullups from a dead hang.

I haven't carved into stone the steps to get from point A to Point B of my goals, I'm debating on a few different workout plans, but I will be true and faithful to whatever I choose. I KNOW I need to workout three times a week, and I CANNOT neglect my intervals, they will be crucial for melting off my body fat and also to get my run time down to amazing quickness.

I guess that's quite enough for now, I'm excited for this journey to begin. I will start on Sunday at the earliest, and Tuesday at the Latest.

~Amanda

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Amanda-Again, thanks for your service, you can never be thanked enough. Pull ups! I join you in that elusive goal. I will be happy with one by the end of TT12. I also have the clothes in the closet waiting to be fit into. Good luck to both of us. We can do it. Concetta
Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Yes Concetta, we CAN do it!

And you are very very welcome for my service. :-)

So I think I've settled on Turbulence Training for Female Strength this will be the first 8 weeks of the competition, after that, I will reevaluate and settle on the workout for the final 4 weeks.

Of course the mini goal is to enter the 6week mini contest :-D

~Amanda

Steve Prefontaine

- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Great to see you back Amanda. I look forward to seeing what Santa brings you for Xmas!

Find me on Facebook
Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM

Hi Amanda! I could never beat the nice things you said in my journal, but I am very excited to read along your journey! I know you are going to do great.. and those pull ups, LOL We shall conquer that darn thing! Are you talking palms facing in, or out pull ups? Palms facing out are hard as heck!
This is awesome! It looks like we have a great group of girls to keep us motivated! I'll have to find that Turbulence Training for Female Strength. Sounds great.

My 12th TT Contest
Here My Beachbody website
My Journal
Old 08-31-2011, 04:33 PM

Default @Jami

Chin ups (palms in) feel super awkward for me. My elementary PE teacher kept saying, you can't do it with your palms facing in!!! If you were hanging off the roof of a 10 foot building and had to pull yourself up to save your life, if your palms were facing in you couldn't even hold on!

Haha, of course me being a chunky 6th grader smirked to myself... didn't matter which way my palms were facing, i'd better learn to fly on the way down cuz I've NEVER done a pullup OR chin up!

Its amazing what sticks with you through your whole life :-)

So I guess to answer your question, pull ups... palms out.

I have a door jam pullup bar equipped with a resistance band to assist me up.
My son wants to go to the Air Force Academy and the physical entrance test maxes out at 18 pullups, and well he is in the same sinking boat I am with upper body strength sadly... so the pullup bar is on HIS bedroom door ;-)

we both "played" on it last night with his little sister getting it all on video on her phone, as the band slipped off his foot and slapped him in the butt and he was hanging there strung up under his arms and we were all laughing... my kind of workouts :-)

Anyway, I the band is a heavy duty one with lots of resistance so while I wasn't pulling hardly any of my own body weight, this is where I will be starting...

I just finished Commissioned Officer Training for the Air Force and there were some leadership challenges that included obstacle courses that had us crossing the obstacle often with our making the devices (rickety) to get acrosss... one such obstacle was a rope parallel to the ground with a pit of murky gross water... My arms wanted to let go, my mind thought, gosh I really don't want to get wet. I had to haul myself up and over a brick wall after traversing the rope 3 toed sloth style... and it wasn't very tight so I was climbing "uphill" towards the end.... that was a huge revelation for me. what if we REALLY were trying to escape a POW camp? What if I cant haul my own weight around? What if a casualty I'm supposed to be nursing dies because I can't drag them to safety when we are under fire?
It really put my own physical limitations into perspective and I need to demand more from myself than I have been. I've been making excuses and actually feeling guilty for going to the gym, when I felt like I should be home with my kids. Being a single mom is hard enough with work and their school, and my schooling, but also to be in the military... well Its my duty to come home safe, and I can't say I'm doing my part if I don't do my workouts. If I don't make time to stay fit, it affects more than just how I look in uniform or my promotion evals... its a whole bigger issue and it was the giant light bulb I needed to stare down my weaknesses and to eat better and workout more.
Granted, I've already had my fair share of slip-ups along the short time span of COT graduation and today, but I have a real strong resolve ready for my official start day, the days leading up to the TT12 kickoff is just practice days :-)

Thanks for stopping by!

~Amanda

Steve Prefontaine

- Beverly Sills

Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Amanda, That is too funny about the PE teacher! yeah, its hilarious all the strange things that stick in our memories. My dad bought me that door jam pull up bar when I was younger. I would do chin ups and cherry drops and gymnastics type things. It was also my haven when I would torment the poodle. He would chase me and I would swing up on it so he couldn't get me, LOL I was just asking what grip you were using, its amazing to me how many people use those interchangeably. I have one of those iron gym pull up bars now and I practice quite a bit. I can do two now. I used to just hang there and grunt trying to pull myself up. I can totally see why those would be so crucial to your job! Those obstacle courses look pretty tough. Now I can see why you are on your pull up mission! So funny about your him getting smacked in the butt with the band! LOL
You are a busy mom! I dont know how you find time to do all what you do! Hats off to you! Speaking of being a mom, I better get going and get my son to Football practice! Next year he starts HS football.. They train in the morning and after school! EEEK!

My 12th TT Contest
Here My Beachbody website
My Journal
Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 PM

Those are some pretty kick ass goals. I'm in the same boat when it comes to the intervals, i tend to get really lazy after the resistance portion of the workouts so i know i gotta keep the intensity and determination going throughout the whole thing

Never give up!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligojoe
Those are some pretty kick ass goals. I'm in the same boat when it comes to the intervals, i tend to get really lazy after the resistance portion of the workouts so i know i gotta keep the intensity and determination going throughout the whole thing
It amazes me over and over how fast my running times improve after doing intervals for a few weeks.
During my officer training we did a 5k run, our times were used to compete as honor flight. Now I'm a chunky (being realistic here) 5'4" 183-186 pound woman over 30 running with mostly under 25 year old very fit men and women... I finished in a shade over 33 minutes. I took walk breaks on my journey and essentially intervalled my way through it... It was a proud (if not slightly insulting) to have my flightmates be so impressed with my time and for them to exclaim "wow, look at all the people finishing behind you, you did great!

Haha, I was allowed to be the slowest of our group because I was the only female over 30 in our flight of 15... My expected standards were lower set by the air force :-) but it is motivating to keep running intervals rather than the long slow 10-24 mile weekend runs to prepare for a marathon. I will likely go back to marathons and triathlons after I build a truly good foundation of strength in my core and joints. I know TT is the best way to go. Only after two weeks of being consistent with workouts, I can feel the difference in my muscles under my insulation layer ;-)

Steve Prefontaine

- Beverly Sills

Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM

It's 16 and a half weeks till Christmas. I counted at work today because I was bored.

I've been doing heavily assisted pullups, and found my grip was a real issue. Yesterday I tried chinups with a narrow grip, and they were much easier!

Funny that. Some folk must be innys and other outys. Like belly buttons...

Anyhoo, good luck!