TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 8th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Default it has been a great 12 weeks....

I started this program with an open mind and set high goals. I first purchased the system about 3 years ago, skimmed over it and never got any further than that. I was looking for the easy way out, some magic trick to help me loose weight. I was looking for the lazy way out. I came to realize the lazy way is what got me to where I was in the first place.

During the last 12 weeks I have challenged many of my paradigms, and realized that I needed to make changes in the ways I perceived things and did things. I always wanted to have an active life style; I just lost the motivation to do it. So I cleared the slate, so to say, of all of the years of programs and systems and magazine articles that I have learned from and started fresh. I took the TT system as it was with no outside influence or modifications, and low and behold it works outstandingly.

I have gotten my diet under control, and did a lot of soul searching and self evaluation to figure out what triggered my binge eating and reckless attitude towards my health (most of this was done while getting through the interval training). I feel I have a better understanding of why I do things and definitely have come up with a set of tools to keep me from slipping. I have also realized how much the social support makes a difference, and have come to count on reading what everyone on here has to say and their individual journeys. I never would have thought it could make such a difference and I am glad I signed up for the website instead of just mailing my info in.

So in 12 short weeks I am on my way to healthier life. My quality of life has greatly improved and my emotional well being has not been this good or stable in at least 20 years. There isn’t a day that goes by where someone doesn’t compliment me and ask what I am doing to be successful with my transformation. I explain as best as I can then I refer them to the TT website and the total diet solution websites.

The most important thing that I have taken from this whole process is that at the end of the day I am accountable for what I did or didn’t do for that day. Did I eat healthy? Did I make the best choices for me? Did I set the appropriate examples for my children? Did I review my goals and work towards them? Did I have a slip, and if so how did I handle it? I have realized that I can just go through life trying to get by, I need to be an active participant and be aware of my impact on my life and health.

5/3 7/25 Total Loss
Weight 363.6 332.0 31.60
% BF 39.1 33.4 5.70
BMI 46.7 42.6 4.10
Height: 6'2" Age: 41

5/3/10
Neck 19.7
Shoulders 70.5
Chest 61.4
Bicep 16.5
Forearm 13.4
Waist +3 58.3
Waist 55.9
Waist -3 52.4
Hips 50.0
Thighs +9 28.7
Thighs +6 24.8
Thighs +3 19.3
Calf 20.5
Totals 491.3
7/25/10
Neck 18.5
Shoulders 59.8
Chest 57.5
Bicep 16.1
Forearm 12.6
Waist +3 53.1
Waist 51.2
Waist -3 50.0
Hips 48.8
Thighs +9 28.0
Thighs +6 24.2
Thighs +3 18.5
Calf 19.3
Totals 457.7
Total Loss
Neck 1.2
Shoulders 10.6
Chest 3.9
Bicep 0.4
Forearm 0.8
Waist +3 5.1
Waist 4.7
Waist -3 2.4
Hips 1.2
Thighs +9 0.8
Thighs +6 0.6
Thighs +3 0.8
Calf 1.2
Totals 33.7

* Waist measurements are at the navel, 3" inches above, and 3" below.
* Thigh measurements are taken 3, 6, and 9 inches above the patella.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25JUL10_Charles_Hiller_Back.jpg (91.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 25JUL10_Charles_Hiller_Front.jpg (93.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 25JUL10_Charles_Hiller_Left_Side.jpg (88.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 PM

here are the before pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03MAY10_Charles_Hiller_Back.jpg (84.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 03MAY10_Charles_Hiller_Front.jpg (83.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 03MAY10_Charles_Hiller_Left_Side.jpg (73.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Naomi's entry

I'm not gonna lie to you.

It wasn't easy.

But it was simple.

Twelve weeks of chiseled focus and determination so I could sail into my birthday in the best shape of my life: Priceless.

What made me believe I could transform in such a short time? The same thing you're doing right now - I looked at the photos on this site and read the essays written by ordinary people who were getting the results I so desperately sought. Insta-belief! Just add water!

Getting Started

I had a bikini photo of myself from the last time I was fit. I did have to scramble around a bit for inspirational photos when I surpassed my former level of fitness at just 9 weeks into the contest! Go me!

So, if I’d been this fit before, how did I become the unfit doughy mess I had allowed myself to turn into? Parenting turned out to be pretty time consuming. Okay, okay. Overwhelming. We all just lose it after we have kids, right? It’s just what happens and then you spend the rest of your adult life growing larger. That’s right, right? Okay, not so much.

You’d think getting asked daily if I was pregnant would have been enough of a kick in the butt. But somehow, no, I just kept on with the magical thinking and vague hoping. That’s right, I was going to think away the huge belly. Oh and you know, have lots of cinnamon and green tea, and um, stuff. Yeah. That would do it.

Except, it’s really, really depressing to look like that. And worse, with knee pain constantly increasing and my belly fat having the absolute audacity to continue to grow as well, simply getting through life had become a burden. I no longer had the energy to take my kids on simple outings. Even meeting up for a park picnic was daunting. Packing up food, getting 2 kids ready, carrying all that stuff, sitting on the ground, getting up from the ground without looking like a crippled old lady: all quite overwhelming.

Better to just stay home. And get fatter. Yeah.

Better, in my distorted thinking, until I learned that belly fat was caused by cortisol, the stress hormone, and is a huge health risk.

Boy, was that a wakeup call. I was already stressed to the max but now I was even more stressed thinking about how dangerous my condition was.

I’ve always considered myself healthy but I had to recognize that I was anything but! I’d always looked young for my age but that, too, was no longer true. So my motivation was first and foremost my health. And no less importantly, to get back my energy, reduce pain, and get lean and fit and strong again. What did it take? Simple - but totally effective - changes to my diet, frame of mind, and exercise program.

Diet

After two years of steady dieting and exercising, I wasn't getting very noticeable results. I was stronger and down a measly ten pounds but I still looked and felt bad and the pain was no better. I hadn't realized my diet was bad! Calorie counting helped me realize my portions were out of whack. Who knew a “healthy” salad could weigh in at well over 1000 calories?

Then I discovered Turbulence Training. The nutritional support in Turbulence Training is spot on. It’s not hard once you realize what you have to do; the number one thing is to simply start logging everything you eat, which I had never been willing to do before, perhaps because I worried it would be too time consuming or discouraging. I also worried I’d feel deprived but in fact, it didn’t really take long at all to get used to getting used to eating appropriate portion sizes. I use the LoseIt iPhone app which is wonderful. It has loads of data and you can use it anywhere, even with no Internet access. I constantly tweaked my diet and monitored my results. It’s critical to measure not just pounds but inches and body fat. I might not see anything on the scale but other measures told the story of a great week. And because of my improved diet, I’m not bloated, for the first time in my life. Lemme say that again. I am not bloated.

That’s not all there was to the diet though. I monitored calories very closely and got more aggressive with goals as the weeks went by. Weight loss was anything but steady. Early on, I lost 3.7 pounds one week! Awesome! Only, for the next few weeks, nothing budged. So while it looks great on paper to have lost a pound a week, I was at times eating few enough calories to be on target for 2 pounds a week. Weight loss, though, tended to happen in whooshes, rather than steadily. By constantly tweaking and changing as I hit plateaus and learned more, I was able to keep moving forward. Within a few weeks, I was doing Eat Stop Eat. I never ever thought in a million years that I’d be able to fast but in fact, with knowledge and support, it’s not hard at all. I actually look forward to my fast days now because I just like feeling lighter. At first, I was afraid to even get off the couch on a fast day but now I simply go about my day and look forward to a great dinner. Skipping two meals worth of calories creates a far greater caloric deficit than an hour of working out ever could. I also played around quite a bit with “cheat meals”. I did drop these at the end of the contest with no noticeable improvement. They are so important to my attitude that I’m not sure I would ever give them up again. Sanity is important. Trust me.

-------------CONTINUED!!!!!----------
My TT#9 contest thread

Last edited by thebestme : 08-13-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Naomi (continued)

Getting Rid of Stress

Another piece of the puzzle was getting more proactive about learning to deal with stress. I know some of my stress came from carrying a lot of guilt about every aspect of my life. Not good enough at business, parenting, marriage, friendship, health. Oh, those terrible voices. Because of all this guilt, I never gave myself permission to do anything nice for myself, and my sleep was disrupted. I came up with a simple meditation that allowed me to get to sleep and fall back asleep quickly. Getting a good night’s sleep is critical to fatloss and I am sure this was related to my finally getting the results I was seeking.

As I got more sleep, I started automatically waking up at dawn. I began to use the time before anyone else was awake to have a nice solo breakfast and do some peaceful reading and set the tone for the day, making me feel even more relaxed and grounded. I also put on podcasts when I do housework so I can use that time to continue to learn and feel inspired. I especially enjoy Craig Ballantyne’s and other motivational podcasts. I always pick up new tips so I have quite a few tools in my toolbag. It keeps things fun and fresh.

Exercise

The diet got a lot of unwanted fat off but then what’s left? I want muscles showing and that’s where I am so grateful for Turbulence Training. I had been a gym rat since college and thought I knew what I was doing but this was like starting over.

Turbulence Training is a totally new way of working out. I’ve learned exercises I’ve never heard of before. I love going into the gym with a purpose. My husband and I take a few minutes before we start to gather the equipment we need so there won’t be unnecessary delays. We now work out with timers. Finish a superset, time our rest, and we are back on. We are drenched with sweat shortly after the warmup. I have certainly sweated while lifting before but never anything like this!

Because I know I will be done in ten to twenty minutes, and I’m only going to have to do about four to six high intensity intervals, I just crank some good workout music and get it done. I get bored by cardio workouts so I love that I can do the workouts on the bike, stair machine, treadmill, or even using equipment like jump ropes, medicine balls, or just mats and bodyweight stuff. It’s always fresh and that keeps me motivated to get through it. The feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction afterwards is wonderful!

Because the workout is brand new every 4 weeks, my body is totally guessing! The first week, I’m getting used to the new workout. The second week, I can do the whole thing. The third week, I increase weights. The fourth week, I feel very proficient. And then wham! I’m a newbie again! Awesome!

My goal when I started working out was simply to get rid of the belly flab. Something shifted in me, though, when I decided to do the transformation contest. I looked at the photos of previous winners and finally believed that I could have a really amazing transformation. I set out to win. To win, I’d get rid of all that belly fat. I have had a goal of my body fat getting down to 20% for some time. It was going so slowly and it seemed ridiculously aggressive to hit that goal in just 12 weeks. Even at 5 weeks into the contest, I was not sure it could be done, but I stuck with the workouts and really worked hard on my diet. In the last 2 weeks alone, I lost nearly 1% body fat! I am ridiculously proud to have finally checked off this long standing goal!

My other goal was to prove to myself that the Turbulence Training workouts worked for me. I had been educating myself for two years and felt I understood about weight training and interval training. One of the contest rules is to only use Turbulence Training. I stuck to that. The only other workout I ever did was Zumba class once a week and cardio or whatever on my off days. I used to do Zumba with a goal of burning the most calories possible but when I started Turbulence Training, I ditched the heart rate monitor and started having fun with it! It’s very freeing to not be so competitive about it.

Summary

I have shared my journey with friends and family throughout, but it's when I posted my Five Week Transformation contest results that the questions started pouring in. Many friends wrote just to tell me how inspired they were by my results. I, in turn, follow people who inspire me. I spent a ton of time on the TT forum reading old contest threads and have my own contest thread where everyone is so supportive! It’s so much fun to share workouts with others who have been there and to learn from other workout journals. It’s wonderful to be able to share the hard bits too like the very bad day and how to deal with stress.

My current goals are to take some time off and maintain my weight, continuing to use Turbulence Training and at least one weekly fast. I am doing the Booty for Wife program now (goal being, obviously, the tush) and on deck is a Meathead program (goal being increased muscle mass) and an Abs program (goal being much better ab definition). I look forward to entering the next transformation contest. My goals at that time will be first to get body fat to 18%, and then, if I’d still like to take off more belly fat, down to 15%. I want to strengthen my back and improve my posture and then have a trainer look at any other areas of weakness.

There have been so many unexpected bonuses with this contest. Here is one that is especially noteworthy. Not only have I cleaned up my diet, but the whole family’s as well. We all have a weekly “cheat day” and there is no more nagging for pizza or ice cream the rest of the week! And my older daughter has become aware that certain foods are not ideal for daily consumption so she is learning what’s healthy. Both girls constantly ask if something is healthy. They are really learning and this is knowledge they'll carry for a lifetime.

Workouts used:
Intermediate (plus Zumba once a week)
TT for Fatloss
Buff Dudes Hot Chicks (plus Zumba once a week because girls just wanna have fun)

Stats:
Start End Difference
Weight 160.8lbs 148lbs -12.8lbs
Percentage body fat 25.7% 19.99% -5.71%
Chest 34.5” 34” -0.5”
Waist 29.5” 27” -2.5”
Waist at Belly Button 33” 28.5” -4.5”
Hips (hip bone) 39” 36.5” -2.5”
Thigh 22” 20.5” -1.5”
Calf 14” 14” no change
Ankle 8.75” 8.25” -0.5”
Bicep 11.3” 10.6” -0.65”
Height: 5’11”
My TT#9 contest thread

Last edited by thebestme : 08-13-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Edited to add: I'll put my age here so it doesn't get put up all over the Internet! I just turned 46. This photo is my birthday gift to myself.

I'm going to proof read that in a second. Here is the after photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TTContestWeek12AfterFront.jpg (90.7 KB, 103 views)
My TT#9 contest thread

Last edited by thebestme : 08-23-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Default My Entry for TC8

Here is my essay and photos. What hard and fun 12 weeks its been.

Well, its been quite a run these last 12 weeks. I have been trying to keep my body in shape for over 15 years. However, I have always struggled with my overall look. I am the epitome of the stocky guy you see in the gym that never seems to really change his body, sans a little muscle gain or some fat loss in prep for a vacation or something. Over the years, I have attempted to cut the bodyfat down to a level I could really enjoy the look of my body. However, I constantly seem to fall short. For me, it never has to do with the time in the gym. I can bust it for 6-7 days a week without any issues. My problem comes back to one thing, my diet. After many years, I have finally figured something out which Craig has said in the past, “You can’t out train a bad diet”. That one statement can’t be more true.

I turned 39 this year, and I made an overall goal that I wanted to lose 40 pounds before turning 40. Now, 40 pounds might be a little more than I need, but I knew with that 40 pounds, I would finally have the body that I should have after all these years of training. I also want to be leaner and meaner as I roll into my 40s. The joints have paid the price of all my training and less weight on my frame can only benefit my body pains.

I discovered Craig’s programs a few years ago, prior to his first TT Transformation contest. I was very intrigued by his techniques, and I have been practicing them consistently for the past few years. I love the superset and interval training he promotes. It gets you out of the gym faster and with fantastic results. I actually entered the very first Transformation contest, but came up very short in my results, mostly due to my inability to adopt a better eating style to go with my training.

This time I decided I was going to do it. I pulled out all the stops, that Craig and his partner sites described as a good diet. With this knowledge, I used Craig’s TT programs: “2K8”, “2K9”, and “TT for Buff Dudes and Hot Chicks”. I piled in lots of intervals to go with these workouts. The intervals was something else Craig turned me onto a few years ago. Ever since he introduced them, it seems many trainers and magazines now promote them for most efficient cardio. I finally feel like I really did what I needed to do to succeed.

My overall goal for this contest length was 25 pounds of lost weight. I can honestly say I just made it at 199 pounds. That is a loss of 26 pounds from the start. I have listed below the other stats on my body that have changed. My biggest change was in the belly measurement around the belly button. I was able to really decrease my fat belly. My bodyfat is not quite in the single digits yet(still very happy with it tho), and that can be seen in my pics where my abs aren’t fully visable yet. I also seemed to keep my muscle mass as I trained and dieted during the 12 weeks.

As I stated above, my overall goal this year is 40 pounds. With Craig’s plans and advice, I am well on my way. I really think I will finally achieve my body goals, so I can finally be proud of all the training I have done over the years. I won’t be that stocky guy in the gym who never changes anymore. For all those struggling out there, I must say that for me a clean diet of eating and plenty of those intervals was the key to it all. You must keep it clean and workout hard and you should be able to reach your goals. I feel I experienced the essence of this contest, I have truly transformed the way I look. Thanks Craig, I have been reading and researching fitness my entire adult life, and your principles have worked better than anything I have come across.

BEFORE Measurments
Weight: 225 lbs (horrible)
Bodyfat: approx. 20 %
Around Belly Button: 40 1/2 inches (ick)
Waist: 37 3/4 inch
Legs: 24 inches
Biceps: 16 1/4 inch

AFTER Measurements
Weight: 199 lbs
Bodyfat: approx. 12 %
Around Bell Button: 35 3/4 inches
Waist: 35 1/2 inches
Legs: 23 1/2 inches
Biceps 16 1/4 inches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT8Pic1.jpg (97.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg TT8Pic2.jpg (97.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg TT8Pic3.jpg (91.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by vegasjay : 08-24-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added age
Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 AM

With the end of this contest (22 May to 13 August), I am now an 8-time 41-year-old veteran of Transformation Contests and have completed all 8 contests so far...and hence the title of my contest entry.

As with most contests, I started out very enthusiastic and determined to make this the one the "best one ever". I realized a few weeks in that perhaps I didn't have what was needed to make a truly transformational change. The workouts were laboured and felt just too hard to do and my nutrition was all over the place. A promise made at breakfast would be broken by lunch.

I also realized that the reasons for this perceived lack of commitment had nothing to do with the workouts I was choosing or my nutrition plans. I was quite simply overwhelmed and felt like I was drowning in my own thoughts and worries.

I had a long, hard think about the times when I was able to get excited about working out and when I was getting results not just with my health and fitness, but in general. At each of those times, I had felt relaxed or at least in control - at work, at home, in every context. So in order for me to be able commit to my health goals, I figured out that I would need to restore some semblance of control and order once again. I actually started way back in April when, during a trip to the US, I spent a wonderful afternoon in a Borders bookstore in San Francisco where I picked up a copy of "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. I'll be honest and say that I had low expectations about what the book had to offer me. While I started reading the book immediately, it wasn't until TC8 was well under way at the end of June that the concepts in the book gelled and I was able to put them into practice. I felt like I was finally able to restructure and order my professional and personal life and was able to achieve that sense of control that I knew I needed. The only regret I have was not doing this sooner so, it wasn't until about week 8 of TC8 that things fell into place with my workouts and nutrition once again. Until that point, I had sort of been wallowing and was not at all consistent with my workouts despite making detailed plans.

Once the cloud that I had been living under for so long was lifted, things started happening. There were a few "eureka" moments that helped spur me along.

The first was Craig's entry from his TTFatLoss.com blog from 28 Jan 2010 titled "The Science of Adrenaline for Fat Loss". I have no idea how I missed this the first time around but when I did finally read it, it was like a revelation and I was introduced to 8 sec/12 sec intervals. I started this regimen of intervals out of curiosity more than anything else and after my first time, I was hooked! By the end of TC8, I was running 8 sec/12 sec intervals at least once a week, normally on an "off" day and loving it.

The second was the 31 Interval Workouts manual that Craig put out recently and I made yet more changes to my interval workouts by introducing shuttle sprints, sometimes right there in my living room (I'm lucky that I have a large living room). Again, I was hooked. Maybe I just needed a change but whatever the reason, I need little motivation to do these new interval workout now - they just get done! Also, based on some of the advice in this manual, I re-introduced intervals on an exercise bike after a very long break and they also help to mix things up and keep the interest going.

I also increased the duration of all my interval workouts to 20 minutes with a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down. Doing intervals in this way really helped improve my stamina.

With my mind clear and my interest, energy and motivation restored, I felt like I got more out my workouts in the last 3 weeks of TC8 than perhaps all of the more recent contests that I participated in. As well as the "new and improved" intervals, I used the "Big 6" workout and I loved some of the new exercises like "stability ball plank" and "seal jumps". And it was very motivating to see small improvements each week.

All of the changes in my before and after pictures occurred in the last 3 weeks of TC8. I lost almost 2 inches from my waist, dropped 4 Kg and about 2% body fat (in my "before" picture, I look like I'm about to 'pop'!). Other improvements include a dramatic change in my psoriasis - I would say that it has improved by 50% and I can believe for the first time, that I might be free of it for good. One thing I failed to mention earlier is that I have been free of the arthritis medication that I was taking for almost 1.5 years from the start of TC8 (I took the last dose on 22 May) and I'd like to believe that my improved diet and exercise over the year had something to do with that.

Everything you may have heard about not giving up - ever - is so true, no matter how corny it may sound and if there is one piece of advice I would give to anyone who has been struggling with their own fitness challenges, it would be that.

I feel like things are set up just right for a truly remarkable transformation in the near future and I am planning to be at the starting line for TC9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeFront.JPG (96.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg AfterFront.JPG (95.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg BeforeSide.JPG (94.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg AfterSide.JPG (96.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg AfterSide2.JPG (96.3 KB, 17 views)