TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 17th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Funny story. Joel Marion and I were randomly texting back and forth. He mentioned he was coming to Denver. I was already there. Next thing you know we're eating tacos at 11pm after a pool party at the hotel (which was hilarious and amazing, btw).

Ooops. Diet depletion starts on Monday. Time to get back on track.

Fortunately my business partner, Matt Smith, paid for it all.

I just get to benefit from their success.

Wednesday will be spent at the ETR offices. I am very lucky and love being there. Great energy. Will be recording some new audio programs.

TT Business Expenses
$1079 - Technology bill

Discretionary Spending
$0

Money Saved today
$20 - Because my business partner, Matt Smith, paid for all meals last night
$20 - Because I fasted today
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Travel day from Denver to Toronto. Good to get home after another 9 days on the road. As for now, I have no plans to be in an airport again until July 29th. Longest stretch of the year for staying home. I'm pretty sure this won't last...and I'll end up going somewhere.

TT Business Expenses
$500 - website design
$75 - taxi home from airport

Discretionary Spending
$23 - On this book package:

From Porter Stansberry's sales letter:
"
In fact, you can read my full write up on this book, and learn exactly how I think it will improve your life, on our website. We've posted my full write-up right here…

Money Saved today
None, bought books

Clothing Dilemma:
I own one pair of jeans. I've worn them a couple of times per week for over three years. And they are - finally - ripping in the groin area. Looks like I'll have to spend some money to replace them...they are Sevens...and that's the only kind I like wearing. Of course, the problem will be finding the exact same kind that I'm used to...but, I'll get a couple of years out of them when I do find them.

Also, in 2008 (almost 5 years ago!), my father passed away and I invested in a nice suit and two dress shirts (each cost $300). These were also a great investment, as I've worn them probably over 100 times each to seminars, while speaking, and in my videos. But they too are getting noticeably frayed.

All told, it looks like I'll need to invest a few hundred dollars in new clothes...I might get by with just one new shirt for a while longer...

On the bright side, my 4 year old Blackberry is still going strong! My goal is to have this phone for a couple more years...I already get plenty of ridicule from my friends with their fancy Samsung Galaxy's and of course, from iphone people (like Roman...he just laughs every time he sees my phone).

But I enjoy being cheap. Makes for good stories like this.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Start your day with this:

The truth about my luck and success (includes video & stories)
- http://www.earlytorise.com/the-truth...k-and-success/

Today is a travel day from big city to big country. Time to see the dog and take him to the vet for a kennel cough vaccine follow-up. I might go see the chiropractor...but I also might skip it. I will also be renting a car for the weekend. And finishing up my TT Trainer newsletter of the month. This is one of my favorite projects each month.

TT Business Expenses
$

Discretionary Spending
$20 - cab ride to rental car place
$30 - vet for Bally shots
$40 - I just had to buy some sample packs of these protein bars. At first I thought they were a joke. The site looks like a Saturday Night Live skit...perfect for Dan Akroyd or Phil Hartman (RIP). => http://epicbar.com/buy.html --- Let me know if you have tried these!

Money Saved today
$40 by skipping my chiro appointment...but then I bought bison and bacon instead of saving that money!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Out on the farm for the weekend where the living is cheap for me.

Lots of writing to do...I'm quite behind on my monthly TT Certification Newsletter, but should get caught up today. It will be easy to write about last weekend, considering how unforgettable the experience.

PS - Make sure to check out the July TT Workout - it gives you the workouts that you missed.

=> http://www.ttmembers.com/members/pro...nfo.cfm?id=245

TT Business Expenses
$0

Discretionary Spending
$1200 investment into a fund - starting to put more of my money to work
$3.50 - weekend paper + a tea at the local shop

Money Saved today
$20 - eating at home all day
Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Getting ready to start Diet Depletion tomorrow. There will be no:

- dairy
- gluten
- diet soda
- supplements of any kind (no fish oil, vitamin c, whey protein, creatine, probiotics, glucosamine-chondroitin...absolutely nothing...just to see if I notice any difference taking a month off)

PS - I'm not ruling out alcohol, but I know that I will only drink if I'm in Denver...so maybe I should put "no Denver" on the list, ha.

Or more specifically, as long as I don't have dinner at The Edge restaurant in Denver with Matt Smith, my business partner, then I'll be able to go alcohol free.

Success is often just as much about removing yourself from temptation and specific environments than it is from exerting willpower.

Do you agree or disagree?

I ended up blowing the budget at the Stratford Slow Food market today. Picked up grass-fed steaks, almond yogurt (its just blended raw almonds with honey and some "yogurt" cultures), bok choy, zucchini, and strawberries.

July is going to be some good eating on the Diet Depletion!

TT Business Expenses
$0

Discretionary Spending
$45 - expensive groceries at the local "Slow Food Market" to fuel the July Diet Depletion program...they have almond yogurt (made just from almond "milk") and some other non-dairy items that I can use in my blender drinks instead of whey protein
$25- regular groceries...but good news, I just found a gift card from Christmas for the local grocery store...so these groceries were free. Hurray for that.

Money Saved today
$25 on "free" groceries - $25 going overbudget at market = $0 saved
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Happy Canadia Day.

The banks (and pretty much everything else) are closed up here, so no expenses are likely to be incurred.

Should be a quiet day on this front...so I'll find a good free article to share with you. Stay tuned.

TT Business Expenses
$0

Discretionary Spending
$0

Money Saved today
$100 - by taking the month off supplements
$200 - by just chilling at home and not going out and partying like I did 5 years ago...and I feel much better because of it!

Here's article #1...from me, on what is needed for an online business (although most tips apply to offline "real world" as well):

- http://www.earlytorise.com/what-you-need-to-succeed/

And great wisdom from Mark Ford:

5 Skills You Need in Business and Life

If you want to be a successful entrepreneur or CEO, there are 5 skills you need to master:
  1. Hiring superstar employees
  2. Firing mediocre ones
  3. Managing key employees
  4. Recognizing which products to launch and which to kill
  5. Determining which advertising campaigns will work
You need roughly the same skills to succeed in your personal life:
  1. Finding friends and associates who will have a positive effect on you
  2. Distancing yourself from people who will have a negative effect on you
  3. Working consistently to improve the quality of your personal relationships
  4. Recognizing which habits and pastimes enrich you, which are wasteful, and which are self-destructive
  5. Eliminating the self-destructive habits and pastimes and gradually replacing wasteful ones with enriching ones
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Okay you got me.

You're email entitled "Do you hate your job? Then read this" got me as I sat in my work chair at 3.30am this morning.

I've signed up on platinum for a year. I really look forward to going through all the content. At a quick glance it looks pretty impressive and I plan to make the most of it.

You da man. Thanks for all that you do.

Last edited by PeterJankowski : 07-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Right on. I enjoy. There is a lot of stuff to go through.

As you do, feel free to post questions here, or even better, create your own accountability journal in the Green Tea Chat Zone like Dani.

I'll have Mikey Whitfield stop by there regularly because he can answer a lot of your questions too.

Craig
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Administrator

I love this week because I get the benefit of a double holiday (Canadia Day here at home and then July 4th from all my US business partners).

So not a lot of email...and lots of time to get ahead on writing.

Still finishing the TT Cert newsletter today, but I still have a couple of days before it needs to go out.

TT Business Expenses
$0

Discretionary Spending
$0

Money Saved today
$10 - by not going to the gym...went for an amazing bike ride around town looking at houses and doing hill intervals. Would have been the perfect day for you to visit...low 70's, everything is still green and dang, this little town has a nice European/Victorian feel going for it. So lucky we have the big Shakesperean Festival Theater in town or else we'd be just another small town manufacturing dump like this equal-sized nearby city of St. Thomas, Ontario. Sorry St. Thomastonians!

$$$ Reading Material

Great article from my friend Bedros Keuilian
- http://www.earlytorise.com/why-ameri...sinesses-fail/

And more great wisdom from Mark Ford:

How to Choose the Best Possible Life

Someone once said that the three most important decisions in life answer the following questions:

1. What are you going to do?
2. With whom?
3. And where?

I thought that was pretty nifty when I first encountered it 15 years ago. Today, I still think it is practical wisdom wrapped in a nutshell. From time to time, we should stop and consider the choices we have made–and can still make, however old we are–so that we can have the best possible lives.

My Career in 300 Words
When I was a child, I wanted to be many things–a policeman, a circus strongman, and a writer. Movie-generated illusions I had about the excitement and romance of such professions formed these ambitions.
My early work experience was very dull, since my youthfulness and poverty limited my job choices. I had a paper route and worked in the delicatessen down the street and in a car wash on the other side of town.
During my high school years, I worked weekends and summers as a grunt for hire, cleaning out warehouses, shoveling snow, painting houses, etc. In college, my buddies and I started our first real business, installing above ground pools all over Long Island. We had four crews running simultaneously, made what seemed like tons of money, and had fun.
It was a very good introduction to entrepreneurship, but I knew it wasn’t going to be my career. After getting a master’s degree from the University of Michigan, I enrolled in the Peace Corps and went to Chad (in north-central Africa) for two years. There, I taught English literature at the University of Chad in N’Djamena.

In addition to teaching, I did some writing on the side (editing the Peace Corps newsletter and writing a book on local oral poetry) and got great enjoyment from it. So when I returned to the states in 1977, I began looking for a job as a writer. I got one with a small newsletter publishing company in Washington, D.C.
I was initially happy with that work, but after several years of doing the same research and writing virtually the same story every week, I told my boss I wanted to run his business.
He agreed, and I did it. Two years later, I became the editorial director for a larger business in Florida. A year after that, I became my boss’s partner.
That, in a nutshell, is the history of my career. I have put it in front of you to make a point:

The “what to do” in my life was not the result of thoughtful choice but of expedient decisions based on circumstances. It took me to a good place eventually, but the path, in retrospect, seems half accidental.
I believe that is true for most of us. We begin with youthful dreams. They dissipate with experience. We take a job to make ends meet, and then another to improve our income, and then another, and before we know it, we have had a “career.”
It is a meandering path. Sometimes, we find that what we are doing is something other than what we really want to do.

What Are You Doing?
As I said above, it is never too late to ask, “Am I doing what I want to do? Is it giving me all of the benefits I want and need? How close is it to my perfect job?”
Take a few moments now to think about it. It might help to look at this brief list that identifies what–for me–are the most important characteristics of the perfect job.

Your Perfect Job
  • I would be happy to do the work I do for free.
  • I believe it has value–to me and to the people who pay me for it.
  • It is fully challenging. It engages both the logical and the creative sides of my brain.
If you find that the “what to do” of your life is not perfect, don’t panic. If it is paying the bills, it is something. Our first responsibility, as moral citizens of the world, is to support the financial well-being of our families.

But if your work falls short in other areas–if, for example, it doesn’t challenge your intelligence and imagination–you should commit to making changes.

If you are lucky, you may discover an opportunity to slip into your “perfect” job. More likely, you can move toward it step-by-step by making adjustments, as I did in my career. To help you in this regard, I recommend that you read my book The Pledge.
The Perfect Partner
I had always considered the question “with whom” to be about one’s spouse. And that is probably its original meaning. But it is also relevant to one’s occupation.
The people with whom you work–your boss, your partners, your colleagues, and your employees–determine to a great extent both the satisfaction and the success you will have from your working life.
If you stop to think about the work experience you’ve had, you will realize that much of the pleasure or pain you’ve experienced came from the relationships you had–your interactions with the people with whom you worked.
And you may think that you have no choice in these matters. After all, you can’t hire your boss. But in fact, you can. In choosing the business you work for, you are choosing your future colleagues.
If you find yourself in a toxic work environment (a work environment that is political, rather than entrepreneurial), don’t hesitate to look for a better company.
And when it comes time to hire employees, don’t consider only their work skills and talents. Consider also whether or not you will enjoy working with them.
The following characteristics should help you choose the best possible partners:
  • He/she respects you
  • You have his/her back
  • He/she has yours
  • You don’t expect him/her to change. You are happy with him/her as he/she is.
These four characteristics may seem obvious, but I managed to ignore them for most of my working life. Gradually, I came to recognize how important it was for me to make good choices in terms of partners. These are the characteristics that, after all of these years, seem most important to me.

The Perfect Place to Live
Where you live and work is important too. The physical environment you naturally prefer very much affects your perfect life. (Do you love the mountains, the plains, the beach? Do you prefer big, bustling cities or tranquil little towns?)

When you are starting out, you must go where the work is. But as you move up the ladder of business success, you will have more choice in the matter. This is especially true in today’s world, where in so many industries one can work remotely.

Consider, also, your commute. Some people enjoy spending an hour or more every day commuting. They use this time profitably to listen to music or books on tape and so on.

Other people–such as I–prefer a very short commute. Locating my office a mile from my home has enhanced the quality of my life. I can walk, bike, or drive there in less than 15 minutes.

More specifically, the quality of your immediate work environment–your office–affects the quality of your life. Since you are likely to be spending a big portion of your active day in that one place, make sure you like everything about it.

Your office should not be an accidental, junky place that has what you need. It should be a haven where you can work productively and a bit of paradise filled with art and artifacts that give you pleasure.

Putting It All Together

Whether you are young or old, beginning a career or enjoying a retirement job, you can find good answers to all three questions.

Start today by thinking about the three questions I listed at the beginning of this essay.

Conjure up your perfect life. And then begin the process of having it.

Tell us about your perfect life here.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Right on. I enjoy. There is a lot of stuff to go through.

As you do, feel free to post questions here, or even better, create your own accountability journal in the Green Tea Chat Zone like Dani.

I'll have Mikey Whitfield stop by there regularly because he can answer a lot of your questions too.

Craig
Good idea. I've mentioned elsewhere my home internet is down (due to be repair next week). Once that's up and running I indeed get a journal going to keep me moving forward.