TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 17th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Default Craig's Time to Grow Up Transformation

To be honest, I couldn't figure out what diet or workout Transformation changes to do in this contest.

My Real Food Journey (that I started in April) has been going great. I haven't ordered any new protein bars, and I'm not relying on those snacks to get me through the day.

I haven't had a Coke Zero since Christmas Day, 2012.

My diet is great.

Workouts are fantastic - although that TT Filming will set me back a little...but you'll continue to get my regular updates - along with awesome new TT Workouts every month.

So what could I change?

And then it hit me.

Almost literally.

You see, last Thursday I came about 50 feet (or what felt like a lot less) from death.

It was one of those weird "sunny-rainy-snowy-back-to-sunny" days that only April can deliver.

Around 4pm it seemed fine, and it was time to walk ol' Bally the Pooch before his dinner. Sure, some clouds were coming over the horizon out here on the farm, but I didn't think much of it. After all, we had been rained on every morning all week, and so what was another late afternoon shower.

As we got 50 steps from the house, the rain turned to ice pellets. At 100 yards from home, we heard thunder.

And then - the lightening bolt that struck directly ahead of me. Perhaps 50 feet at most.

Had I not taken an extra 30 seconds to find an old pair of running shoes for the walk, would it have been a direct hit?

Is that the head-shaking way that I would have gone out?

Would this have been the headline in Friday's Stratford Beacon Herald?

"Local man, aged 37, dies after being struck by lightening"

If so, I'd have been very, very disappointed.

That's not how I want to go out.

And so, that left me with the question...

What does that lightening bolt mean?

Was it random? Or should I take it as a sign from the heavens? Was it luck? Or Fate? A simple act of nature? Or a signal to start making changes?

And so I thought about this. A lot. I had plenty of time on the 3 hour drive from Stratford down to Lapeer, Michigan this weekend for filming. And then another 3 hours on the way home (but no time to think while filming, that's for sure!).

Then it came to me.

It's time to grow up.

Time to take life a little more seriously.

I've been extremely fortunate in life.

I was born with virtually no limits on what I could achieve. There has been nothing in the way of my success in life but me.

And so with a little hard work and a lot of luck (and great people supporting me along the way), I've been able to build up this beautiful Turbulence Training world. It really is a beautiful thing what we have here, and on Facebook and with the Certified TT Trainers and the Summit and the Home Workout Revolution and all the future products. It really is fantastic and MORE than I ever thought possible when I starting working on this idea back in 1999.

Not to mention my fitness family of friends. From Joel to Roman (who hit #4 on the NY Times Best Sellers list last week!) to Isabel to Mike Geary to Brad Pilon to Bedros and the 100 or so others that are practically family to me, it's a beautiful thing. I'm a very lucky man.

Plus, there's Early to Rise. This is literally the business of my dreams because it will allow me to help more people than ever before...and more ways than I ever could have done on my own...with a team of incredible people that believe in my vision.

It's amazing.

My work world is everything that I could possibly ask for.

In fact, that brings me to an important update.

We're working on integrating Turbulence Training into the Early to Rise business. Essentially, selling TT to ETR.

But don't worry, nothing will change...well, it will, but only for the better.

We'll be improving all of the sites and products and so on and so forth.

It's an exciting time.

And to be honest, it's going to leave me with a little extra money.

More money than I ever thought I'd have.

And certainly more money than I know what to do with.

Now I'm a little weird with money.

I'm both cheap and wasteful at the same time.

For example, yesterday, while walking the dog, I wore the same coat that I bought in high school. That jacket is over 20 years old. I'm too cheap to buy a new one. I have one pair of jeans. Two dress shirts. And the rest of the clothes in my closet have either been gifts or free t-shirts from supplement companies.

I don't own a car, and I found it torturous to spend $500 on a new bicycle last month (my old one was stolen)...even though it will save me over $500 on taxi fares, gas, etc. in just a few months.

Most of the time I hate spending money.

That said, I can waste it pretty quickly. I like nice hotels. I spend too much money at restaurants (I could have purchased three bikes for what I spent in 2 days in Manhattan...with nothing to show for it.)

So it's time for me to grow up.

And yes, I know, this is a fitness forum...or at least it was.

I think we're LONG past the point of where we are just fitness buddies.

Some of you have been here since 2007 when I first started this membership site. (Wow, saying that makes me realize it is long overdue for an overhaul, and trust me, that is on the list for 2013!).

We're fitness family.

And family helps out one another in anyway that they can.

So this is going to be my "Time to Grow Up Money Transformation Journal".

You can partly thank TT Member Mark Rogers for it.

If you look through the 16th contest (or perhaps it is in the Workout Journals forum), you'll see the really cool stuff that Mark did to document his spending habits (he was doing this as part of the Early To Rise Health-Wealth-Wisdom $100K Transformation Contest - our next one of those starts in August).

I was really inspired by what he did.

And so I'm going to do something similar.

Time to get serious with my money habits and change them for better...and I look forward to getting advice from you on how to track things and even how to put my money to work for me.

Although it's funny, because I'm already building up excuses...for example, I know someone is going to mention a great app...and I'm going to reply, but I don't like apps and they probably won't work on my old Blackberry phone (more proof of my cheapness...i've had this phone since at least 2009 - you hardly access the internet with it - which is one reason why I've kept it so long).

But, I'm using the Four Pillars of Success (Accountability, Social Support, Incentives, and The Deadline).

And I hope you'll help me with at least the first two. The deadline and incentives are covered.

Although I do need some help with specific goals...I'll think about those on today's dog walk.

So there you have it.

That's my main transformation for the next 12 weeks.

(BTW, yes, I'll be sticking with the Real Food and workouts, and will continue to update my workout journal and my diet journal that is carried over from the 16th contest.)

Now, let's talk about YOU.

I invite you to join me on a Transformation Journey.

Yours could be about money. Or it could be another amazing traditional Turbulence Training fat loss transformation like so many others have experienced. Or maybe you could join Peter J. in his "career transformation".

It doesn't matter what you choose to change...I just want you to choose to join us.

Don't wait for a sign from the heavens.

Just do it.

Let's go.

Start now,

Craig Ballantyne
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Hi Craig:

Wow, I'm humbled and inspired. Just what I need for a shot of reinvigoration.

Thanks,
Mark

PS - I would say "best of luck", but that sounds so helpless and weak. How about, "Make it happen, Cap'n!"
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM

Hi,

it is very inspiring for me what you write, and I appreciate you are so open with deeper thoughts in this forum. I wish I know you in person.

Probably you know, that ages ago surviving lightening was a calling for being the Shaman for community . And as I see you, you are in kind of the role with your services - transforming, heeling souls, finding way for better life and for ourselves.
I just wanted to share, because anyway I am convinced that everyone is the best master and authority to interpret signs for himself.

But I am also curious about your goal. I understand family (I think) but you mentioned you want to put more attention on money because you put too much on business. And how is it any different if you have so great and prosperous business? I mean I have some ideas, but I was just interested in yours.

Best wishes,
Joanna
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Nice post Craig. But I'm struggling a little bit to understand what you are aiming to achieve in the next 12 weeks as well.

Are you aiming to become tight with your money in all facets of your life now or are you going to try and be less frugal when it comes to none travel related expenses etc? (I would have bought the $1000 bike by the way but that's how I roll). Or are you just trying to find a better balance between your inner saver and inner spender?

Your post has made me seriously (and I mean really seriously this time) contemplate entering this competition. It's a big call for me as I would be leaving behind my Renegade workouts for 3 months so it's not a decision that I'll make lightly.

However if I do join I would use it as a tool to keep me accountable with several things. If nothing else my 21 day sugar detox thread taught me the power of accountability. That thread kept me on track on a number of occasion that I may have otherwise fallen off the horse.

If I do decide to enter it would assist me in the following:
1) I want to finally get down to 10% body fat (something I've gotten very close to but never actually achieved).
2) Inspired by a recent Leo Babauta I want to start to write daily.
3) To log my progress with my journey to start a PT business.
4) Nail down my diet which has the propensity to get off track on occasion.

So there it is. I'll make a decision shortly. These are all things I can achieve without entering a transformation competition but I know myself and think this may assist me.

But anyway no firm decision made yet. Although even writing this has helped with my decision making process.

Thanks for the inspiration.

To be continued.....?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM

So disregard the 1st part of my last post. You just answered that in great detail.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Administrator

I think the May Meatheads 5x5 workout just might be the last bit of incentive you need to enter the contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post
Nice post Craig. But I'm struggling a little bit to understand what you are aiming to achieve in the next 12 weeks as well.

Are you aiming to become tight with your money in all facets of your life now or are you going to try and be less frugal when it comes to none travel related expenses etc? (I would have bought the $1000 bike by the way but that's how I roll). Or are you just trying to find a better balance between your inner saver and inner spender?

Your post has made me seriously (and I mean really seriously this time) contemplate entering this competition. It's a big call for me as I would be leaving behind my Renegade workouts for 3 months so it's not a decision that I'll make lightly.

However if I do join I would use it as a tool to keep me accountable with several things. If nothing else my 21 day sugar detox thread taught me the power of accountability. That thread kept me on track on a number of occasion that I may have otherwise fallen off the horse.

1) I want to finally get down to 10% body fat (something I've gotten very close to but never actually achieved).

So there it is. I'll make a decision shortly. These are all things I can achieve without entering a transformation competition but I know myself and think this may assist me.

But anyway no firm decision made yet. Although even writing this has helped with my decision making process.

To be continued.....?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
I think the May Meatheads 5x5 workout just might be the last bit of incentive you need to enter the contest.
Yes I saw that's coming out soon. Plenty of meathead goodness to choose from though. I really like the look of Off-Season as well.

I will most likely sign up methinks.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post

To be continued.....?
Peter-I think the accountability of these contests is paramount in helping to achieve goals. It certainly helped me. I will be joining #17 to start and improve some habits. Your list looks kind of long. Don't overwhelm yourself. Looks like #17 is going to be quite inspiring. Looking forward to all of our successes. Concetta
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concetta27 View Post
Peter-I think the accountability of these contests is paramount in helping to achieve goals. It certainly helped me. I will be joining #17 to start and improve some habits. Your list looks kind of long. Don't overwhelm yourself. Looks like #17 is going to be quite inspiring. Looking forward to all of our successes. Concetta
Thanks Concetta I don't doubt what you say. My list is kinda long I guess, but they all sort of meld into one another. Writing every day means logging my progress each day which will give me the opportunity to include any PT related updates. Nailing down diet equates to getting to 10% bf. Nothing to overwhelming. Just a way to keep me on track and focused.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Yes sir!

Feel free to treat me like any other contestant, and give me a kick in the butt to take action when i need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rogers View Post
Hi Craig:

Wow, I'm humbled and inspired. Just what I need for a shot of reinvigoration.

Thanks,
Mark

PS - I would say "best of luck", but that sounds so helpless and weak. How about, "Make it happen, Cap'n!"