TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM

Wednesday, 22 September 2010
Day 53 of 365, 19 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 5 of 84 of TC 9

Today was a hectic day as I was working at home and looking after my Daughter in the afternoon when she came home from school. I had to squeeze in a weight lifting session and tonight was fight practice over in Buffalo.

Fortunately my body did not fail me.

I continue to learn that I lost a lot of strength with my long break since July. I will never let myself make that mistake again. For next year I need to plan a recovery program for post Pennsic so I am back into the gym as soon as safe after the fatigue of two weeks of camping and fighting.

Since this is my first week with TT 4 x 4 workouts I did a reduced number of sets. Today was the B workout which is upper body.

I would have skipped the fight practice but a friend was driving 2 hours to attend it with me and they have to arrange the time off two weeks in advance.

Day 2 – Workout B

1A) Military Press – 3x8 (2-0-1) 8 @ 60 and 70
1B) Wide-Grip Barbell Row – 3x12 (2-0-1) 8 @ 90, 12 @ 70
• Rest 1 minute and repeat 2 more times.

2A) DB Chest Press – 3x12-15 (2-0-1) 12 @ 55
2B) V-grip Pullup – 3 sets going 1 rep short of failure (2-0-1) 1, 2 (regular pull-ups – pathetic)
• Rest 1 minute and repeat 2 more times.

Optional 4x4 Ab Circuit Did one circuit
3A) Stability Ball Plank – 45 seconds
3B) X-Body Mountain Climber – 10 per side (1-0-1)
3C) Stability Ball Jackknife – 20 reps (1-0-1)
3D) Side Plank – 30 seconds per side
• Rest 1 minute and repeat 1 more time.

So I have a lot of work to do to get my strength back up and then increase it. I have done it before and I will do it again.

At fight practice we were a pretty even field. The turn out was smaller than normal and only one Knight, Sir Cameron. There were six of us in armour and I crossed swords with everyone. I am moving more now and the new gorget and helm are working better. I still need to repad the helm. I need to buy a smaller gorget but the current one will work for now.

I worked on my forehand power and bit on dodging otherwise it was not a very focused practice.

There is a new fighter there Crystal, and I spent some one on one time with her. She is fighting a different style that me. She has her sword back on the shoulder and the sword leg forward (the later common for Women). So it was a challenge to teach her. So I stuck to the basic flat snap. She has had four days in armour and wants to do wraps and stepping of the line for off body shots. All nice stuff but lets work on the fundamentals first. I got her pointing her sword in the right direction and greatly increased her power and her speed. I decided to copy her stance, despite not having female hips, and it was educational for me.

I had a piece of the local Baron’s birthday cake. Since I am the neighbouring Baron I felt somewhat obligated to celebrate his special day. Yes that is the reason. I figure this can be my cheat snack for the week so I indulged in a small bag of Lay’s potato chips at the Delta Sonic on the way home.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Thursday, 23 September 2010
Day 54 of 365, 19 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 6 of 84 of TC 9

I am doing too much or at least spending too much time on the internet at night. I am not getting enough sleep so I need to change that. Proper bed time tonight.

Day 4 – Workout C

1A) Deadlift – 3x8 (3-1-1) 8 @ 135 & 8 @ 155 increase
• No rest.
1B) DB or Cable Lateral Raise – 3x10 with slow lowering phase (3-0-1) 10 @ 15, 10 @ 20
• Rest 2 minutes before repeating 2 more times.

2A) BB Shrug – 3x12-15 15 @ 85, 15 @ 105 increase
• No rest.
2B) Stability Ball 1-Leg Hamstring Curl – 3x10 per side I did the 10 per side but it does not seem very challenging. I had best check my form.
• Rest 1 minute before repeating 2 more times.

I was too tired to do the intervals. Next week I will include them. I think I will use my kettlebell as I like it.

Optional 4x4 Intervals
• 4 minute warm-up
o 15 seconds sprint or kettlebell swings
o 15 seconds recovery
ΏΙ Repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes.
• 4 minute cool-down
Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 PM

Hi Andrew, glad to see you in the contest! A six pack is such a worthy goal-I'm sure you'll get there! It sounds like you are keeping pretty busy between fighting practices and workouts. I am with you on the late nights. I've had a lot of work stuff going on this week, necessitating some late nights-not getting enough sleep can really wear you down so quickly! I'm heading to bed early tonight so I can get back to early mornings.

How are you liking TT Meatheads 4x4? I may try that one next. I like the short circuits and the intervals. But there are so many choices...it's hard to make a decision sometimes!

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck1517 View Post
Hi Andrew, glad to see you in the contest! A six pack is such a worthy goal-I'm sure you'll get there! It sounds like you are keeping pretty busy between fighting practices and workouts. I am with you on the late nights. I've had a lot of work stuff going on this week, necessitating some late nights-not getting enough sleep can really wear you down so quickly! I'm heading to bed early tonight so I can get back to early mornings.

How are you liking TT Meatheads 4x4? I may try that one next. I like the short circuits and the intervals. But there are so many choices...it's hard to make a decision sometimes!
Meatheads 4 x 4 is a tight workout not taking a lot of time. I like it. I am going to challenge myself on the weights since there is no heavy third super set so I should have the energy for heavy weights in the first two super sets.

Despite doing ESE (worked for me before) and eating well my belly fat is not going away. I wonder if the fact my wife has chosen this as pasta week is not helping to get my belly smaller.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmer View Post
Thursday, 23 September 2010

I am doing too much or at least spending too much time on the internet at night. I am not getting enough sleep so I need to change that. Proper bed time tonight.
Awww I know what you mean. I have to literally drag myself off these forums at night so I can get to my bed (up at half 5 every day ) Just give yourself an official bedtime and make sure you stick to it.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Quick update from the weekend. I will post a thorough update on Monday or most likely Tuesday to expand on these three days.

Friday was 4 x 4 workout 'D' for the first time. I was tired and lacked drive. I am 15 % off my bench press from my personal record. I will get back there in the next few weeks.

Saturday was hours of fighting out of doors, sometimes in the rain. I did well mostly using a 7 foot spear.

Sunday was fight practice. I did only a little bit of fighting as I was instructing 4 new fighters on technique. They were out of armour but practiced hitting me a lot. I have fought 21 days since August 1 out of my goal of 75 days in one year.

Last edited by larmer : 09-26-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Expanded content
Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmer View Post
Meatheads 4 x 4 is a tight workout not taking a lot of time. I like it. I am going to challenge myself on the weights since there is no heavy third super set so I should have the energy for heavy weights in the first two super sets.

Despite doing ESE (worked for me before) and eating well my belly fat is not going away. I wonder if the fact my wife has chosen this as pasta week is not helping to get my belly smaller.
Good feedback on MH. So it's just as much, just shorter?

And yeah, pasta=bad for my belly size. It's not only fat that makes a belly bigger. It's internal inflammation as well and deep fat (subcutaneous?) around the organs.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 PM

This is a long update covering six days of activity. Two days of lifting, three days of fighting, trying out a new helm and making a (modest) personal record in the swimming pool.

Friday, 24 September 2010
Day 55 of 365, 19 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 7 of 84 of TC 9

Day 5 – Workout D
• Start with the general bodyweight warm-up circuit

1A) Close-Grip Bench Press – 3x10 (2-0-1)
10 @ 145, 8 @ 145
• No rest.
1B) Chin-up with Knee-up – 3xMax Reps (4-0-1)
3,2 (too low)
• Rest 1 minute before repeating 2 more times.

2A) EZ Bar Curl – 3x8 (3-0-1)
10 @ 35, 10 @ 45 increase
• No rest.
2B) Lying EZ Bar Triceps Extension – 3x12 (3-0-1) 10 @ 35, 12 2 45

I did not have the time or energy to do the intervals.

Optional 4x4 Intervals
• 4 minute warm-up
• 1 minute interval
• 1 minute recovery
• Repeat 4 times
• 4 minute cool-down

Saturday, 25 September 2010
Day 56 of 365, 20 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 8 of 84 of TC 9

Today was a SCA event up in Lindsay Ontario. I spent about 2 to 3 hours fighting out of doors. I fought mostly with spear against fighters at my skill level. I was pleased with my performance but disappointed that I did not place in the standings at the end of the day. I did learn that I need a back-up dagger but I have known that for ten years. It is time I did something about that.

I got to wear my new helm and it worked about but I have to adjust the padding as a got hurt inside it. That rarely happens with helms.

I skipped the medieval feast as I did not want that much food and the far distance away.

Attending a SCA event is like playing a long rugby match followed by a wedding feast. You sit there, tired and bruise, but happy while tons of food (and drink if there is a bar) is placed in front of you. So skipping feasts is one way to keep the calories in line. I did have some Tibetan food at a nice restaurant in Peterborough. I have never eaten Tibetan before.

Sunday, 26 September, 2010
Day 57 of 365, 21 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 9 of 84 of TC 9

Today was the local fight practice and I spent most of the time teaching four new fighters. I did some fighting against one opponent in armour and I had helm padding issues again. I think I will go back to my old helm until I fix that problem.

Monday, 27 September 2010
Day 58 of 365, 22 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 10 of 84 of TC 9

I have been busy and not getting enough sleep so I was very tired when I got to fight practice late. I was humbled by two high end fighters but I learnt some stuff. I practiced my flat snap and a vertical off body shot, the later with no success. I fought for 45 minutes but it energized me and I did not feel tired on the way home.

Tuesday, 28 September 2010
Day 59 of 365, 22 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 11 of 84 of TC 9

Today was swimming lessons and lifting. I did a personal record at swimming lessons. I swam 11 m before having to stop. Okay that sounds pretty lame but I am still a non-swimmer so that is a great improvement. I will be back in two weeks.

I did workout ‘A’ for the second time and I increased the weights, which pleased me. Being tired and it getting late I skipped the optional cardio.

Wednesday, 29 September 2010
Day 60 of 365, 22 days of fighting out of 75 goal
Day 12 of 84 of TC 9

I did nothing today as I am tired and too busy. I did not go to fight practice so I could see my 4 year old at skating lessons for the first time.

I am back to the gym tomorrow evening.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 AM

I'm doing meatheads 4x4 too, it's a great workout. My weights are pretty low, and I'm making an effort to get more sleep to see if I can increase them. The plan is to pump up some volume before I go after the fat with CB's "Adrenaline" torch in the last 4 weeks. I'll be curious to see your results with 4x4.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageboy9 View Post
I'm doing meatheads 4x4 too, it's a great workout. My weights are pretty low, and I'm making an effort to get more sleep to see if I can increase them. The plan is to pump up some volume before I go after the fat with CB's "Adrenaline" torch in the last 4 weeks. I'll be curious to see your results with 4x4.
I will post numbers in future posts. I was playing catch up last night with my posts.

When I go into the gym I always aim to improve my weights or reps from the previous week. I lost strength over August so I am working back up to my personal records of June and July. I plan to set new personal records with TC9, hopefully some with 4 x 4.

I plan more sleep tonight.