TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 18th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Craig M's road to recovery...As I Rise Above!

G'day, my name is Craig Mitchell and I have decided to enter the 18th Transformation Contest. My entry to the contest is more of a personal commitment to myself and to be able to hold myself accountable over the next 12 weeks to reach some milestone goals I have set for myself.

About me...I am a 37yr old male (I will have turned 38 by the end of the contest) who has led a relatively active life up until my early thirties. Unfortunately the sports I did in my teen years through to my early thirties were extreme in nature and due to wear and tear and repetitive injury, I now carry carry around permanent nagging injuries which I have learnt to live with...the worst of them been a number of minor bulged discs from my cervical to lumber spine. My job does my back no justice as I am a design draftsman and sit at my desk for 8 to 10 hrs a day. During the few years I too have developed high cholesterol, I think mainly from poor diet

Over the years as I let pain dominate my life the grips slowly slipped away from me, this in turn left me in a state of depression until I decided to spread my wings and rise above.

My journey began this when I got that dreaded phone call on the 25th of Feb (my younger sisters birthday) that my father had suffered another heart attack, this time a major one. For the next month I spiraled even further to my ever growing dark pit as I tried to deal with the fact that I had almost last my father again to heart disease...what darkened the cloud was the fact that my father lives 11,600km away and that I was unable to see him once again over this ordeal. I have my own family to take care of, I am husband and father to two beautiful kids and unfortunately do not have the cash flow for emergency situations like this.

On Easter weekend I took back control of my life, spread my wings and soared from this dark pit I had created for myself.

I started out at 88.9kg at the end of March (this is the heaviest I have ever been), and as of today my weight this morning was 74.6kg totaling a fat loss of 14.3kg. This is roughly the same weight as my 3yr old son. I still battle to comprehend this at times when I hold my son and think to myself that this is the weight I am holding that I have manged to loose.

My goals I plan to achieve over the next 12 weeks:
- I would like to get my body fat to around 10%, lower if possible and chisel sexy beautiful abs (long time dream)
- Strengthen my back around my spine even more than what I have already achieved and my shoulders (some of the nagging injuries I carry).
- Become a better husband to my wife and father to my kids.
- Get the confidence to maybe make a career change or look for a new job in 2014.
- Improve my diet.

I plan to officially begin the 18th Transformation Contest on Sunday 15th September as I like Sundays to be the first day of the week for my workouts.

I have already started a food log in the nutrition section that I will try keep updated on a daily basis during the contest...this is really for my own account but you can find it here:
http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=12638

During the 12 week challenge I plan on using the 12 Week Home Workout Revolution programme as is with some HIIT cardio added to the end of each workout (again this is for me so as to be in the best possible shape I can be at the end of the 12 weeks). My workout days will be Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday with a 15 - 20 minute lunch time walk Monday to Friday to get me away from my desk.

I will post my official weight, measurements and before pics on Sunday in this thread when I begin the challenge. I will also try to keep this thread updated with my thoughts and views over the next 12 week period time permitting.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone on the challenge the greatest success and that you reach the goals you have set before yourself. I am very excited to begin and look forward to following your progress over the next 12 weeks...Good luck to all!

Craig M.

Last edited by craig.mitch316 : 09-12-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Re-worded and added info.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Craig,

Really looking forward to your transformation.

And looking forward to following it.

Other Craig
Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Craig,

Really looking forward to your transformation.

And looking forward to following it.

Other Craig
Thanks Craig...I am really happy to be on board and a member on the TT Members forum.

Since joining, I have found this forum for myself personally to be a very inspirational place...I too have found the motivation I have been looking for since becoming a member here.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Friday the 13th...Today was a productive day at the office for me. I have had a very positive attitude towards my work since returning from my break...this is very good for me as I have had a lack of interest in my work for sometime now. I think entering the 18th Transformation Contest has attributed to this in some way.

These pics below are really again for my own reference and have nothing to do with the 18th Transformation Contest...this was me on the 6th April and were the first pics I took as I started my journey to RISE ABOVE...here I am at 88.9kg.
=====
=====

=====
=====

=====
=====
Please look past the tattoos...I was quite the hooligan in my youth but have settled down with age; since having a family of my own has attributed to this too.

As said earlier in post #1, I will post my official weight, measurements and before pics on Sunday where I officially begin my 12 week challenge.

As the days draw near I am getting amped to begin my next phase over the coming 12 weeks.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Thank you for your kind words and action taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
Thanks Craig...I am really happy to be on board and a member on the TT Members forum.

Since joining, I have found this forum for myself personally to be a very inspirational place...I too have found the motivation I have been looking for since becoming a member here.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Good luck with your challenge Craig. You have picked a great program with HWR. I was doing it until recently when I switched to TT 2.0. The workouts are intense and great for fitness as well as fat loss.

It looks like you already shifted a lot of weight anyway, 14 kgs since March. How did you go about that?

Will follow your thread with interest. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHK View Post
Good luck with your challenge Craig. You have picked a great program with HWR. I was doing it until recently when I switched to TT 2.0. The workouts are intense and great for fitness as well as fat loss.

It looks like you already shifted a lot of weight anyway, 14 kgs since March. How did you go about that?

Will follow your thread with interest. Good luck!
How you going mate? The HWR is right up my ally and is the kind of workouts I enjoy. The wheels came off the wagon in my early thirties and I have only got back on track this year with my health. For too many years I have let it slide; I forgot how much I missed and enjoyed being fit.

The funny thing with my weight is I was stuck on 79,5kg for a number of weeks until I joined this forum a few weeks back...I posted up my diet and with the help of Craig B and a few other members I made some of the recommend changes to my diet and it seems like the fat is melting away.

I like to do a lot of calisthenics and free weight exercises...especially at the park where I get to use the kids play equipment while they're out having fun while I exercise. I think its the intensity of my workouts that has helped attribute to my fat loss too.I keep my workouts short and sweet but intense so to speak .

I've been following your thread too mate...I know how traveling can throw a spanner in the works and change routine. I am glad to hear you are on top of it mate...good luck to you too with your journey over the coming weeks.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 09-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Awesome story! So looking forward to transforming with you over the next 12 weeks! Excited! Lets do this. Signing on to your success!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaussie View Post
Awesome story! So looking forward to transforming with you over the next 12 weeks! Excited! Lets do this. Signing on to your success!
Thanks Ali...as you say, "Lets do this".

Nutrition log
Workout Journal
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Talking My first time above the bar (beginner muscle up) - 14.09.2013

I'm excited, I got my first muscle up today. It wasn't a muscle up in the true sense but none the less my first muscle up to perfecting a true muscle up with proper form.

Some background info...When I started training again back in March I tried to go big to quickly and injured myself pretty bad. My whole goal was to be able to do a proper muscle up by the end of the year as my ultimate strength test. Needless to say I should of started off slow. I was not even able to do 2 proper pull ups when I first started.

A month into my training and I developed right shoulder bursitis...I got it so bad that I could barely lift my arm above my head. The pain was debilitating and took about 4 weeks to heal to the point where I could use my arm semi pain free. I should of listened to the physio and laid-off any exercise that required my arms above my head...because of this injury it lead to another injury from not resting; right forearm tendonitis. I can't express to you enough how painful this is, I could barely brush my teeth it was that sore.

I still have this injury...it is a lot better and almost healed; it too is no where near as painful as what it was. I take great care as not to aggravate it anymore as tendonitis takes forever to heal as I have found out...the hard way!

After this happened I laid-off the pull ups and focused more on other exercises like push ups and dips to name a few.

Over the past few months I have slowly started doing pull ups again...this is more for fun rather than training. I have attempted a muscle up a few times but could never get my chest up above the bar.

Today out at the park with my daughter I was looking at the this branch in a nearby tree and thought to myself it would be a great place to do a muscle up. I tried it without warming up and expected to fail as always...what do you know? I managed to get myself into a dip position and push myself above the branch. I thought it was a fluke so I got my phone out and filmed it. Because it was on a branch and it was flexing I thought it had helped me push myself above the branch.

I then went to a nearby park to give it a go on the bar just to make sure the branch flexing had nothing to do with it. Well, I ended up doing 5 in total...2 on the branch and 3 on the bar.

My beginners first muscle up! <--- My vid.

Never give up and stick to your guns...If you set your mind to it anything, is possible.

Nutrition log
Workout Journal