TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 8th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Smile Tatjana's transformation

Turbulence training workouts are the best thing that happened to me! Not only they have helped me through my years long weight-loss plateau but now I’m at my lowest weight and the best shape in my whole adult life!
When I was a child I was always overweight and in first year of high school I reached highest weight of 85 kg (187 lb) at 170 cm (5’7”). I lost 20 kg (44 lb) with rigorous diet, but almost no exercise. They never came back, but I struggled to lose remaining weight for next 20 years. I tried every diet under the sun just to lose few pounds and to gain them back after few months. I was never into sports but just before I turned 30, I decided to get of couch and started running. Now I’m 35 years old and since then, I have run several half marathons (my best time is 1:47) and three marathons (my best time is 3:59), but my weight still remained almost the same. I run a lot, but my body had changed only a little. Basically I was still at least 10 lb overweight.
Since my daughter was born two years ago, I was able to lose 10 kg (22 lb) of fat that I gained during pregnancy, but again I was stuck with the weight that I had before. Now I don't have much free time and running more is no longer an option. Still I wanted to lose excess weight and reshape my body. Not only to look better, but to improve my half-marathon and marathon times. It is easier to run faster, if you are a little bit lighter. I was looking for something that I can do at home, while my daughter is still sleeping. First I tried exercise videos from Jillian Michaels. They were helpful, but after a while I got bored with doing same routine day after day.
I searched the internet for new workouts and discovered Craig Ballantyne’s channel on YouTube and www.turbulencetraining.com web page. It was eye opening moment! This program was made exactly for people as I’m. I was doing hours of running with almost no results for years. I don’t have time to work-out for hours each day, nor can I afford going to the gym or buy some fancy equipment. I don’t want to do another crazy diet again just to crave food I’m not supposed to eat and to gain weight back again.
I have contacted Craig Ballantyne on Facebook and with his recommendation I have purchased "TT Bodyweight Cardio 3" and started doing it three times per week. The workouts were challenging, but also fun. The best thing is that you don't need much space (I can do it in my small living room) and little equipment (just pair of dumbbells and a stability ball). After four weeks I switched to combination of "TT Bodyweight cardio 2008 workout B" and "TT Bodyweight cardio v 2.0 workout B", which I have done for next two weeks, even when we were on vacation. And for last two weeks I have done "August 2010 DB Depletion" workouts.
I have entered transformation contest when it was already four weeks in, but in spite of that I had great experience. During these 8 weeks of my transformation journey I have learned several lessons:
1. Use KISS (Keep it Simple and Stupid) approach with your diet. Stick to basic and eat healthy, high-fiber, low-sugar, unprocessed, whole foods, such as lean protein, vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
2. You cannot out train a bad diet. Even if you are eating healthy, you can eat too much. I was using my marathon training as an excuse to eat more than my body needed. Portion control and a food journal were keys to my success.3. You can get better results with less, but smarter training. Turbulence training workouts are short and have not just helped me to lose weight but have also improved my performance in running while I’m running less then ever before. Now I have more power and energy. Before I had constant problems with my left hamstring and piriformis pain, and now they stopped hurting me.
4. Support from your family and friends is important. I’m doing this for myself, but it was much easier when you have someone cheering you along. Support from my boyfriend, reading posts on ttmembers.com and articles on ttfatloss.com provided me with additional motivation.
I'm determined to continue with Turbulence training workouts. They are short but effective. Not only they have helped me to lose weight, but also improved my performance in running. Craig, thank you!

Here are my statistics:
Height: 170 cm (5’7”)

June 28th, 2010
Weight: 63,2 kg (139 lb)
% BF: 24,4 % (according to my bathroom scale)
Waist at belly button: 79 cm (31,1”)
Waist on hip bone: 86 cm (33,9”)
Hips: 100,5 cm (39,6”)
Thighs at widest point (L/R): 59,5 / 59 cm (23,2” / 23,2”)
Thigh at middle (L/R): 52 / 52 cm (20,5” / 20,5”)

August 22th, 2010
Weight: 59,9 kg (131,8 lb) ... - 3,4 kg (-7,2 lb)
% BF: 22,1 % ... -2,3 %
Waist at belly button: 74 cm (29,1") ... - 5 cm (-2")
Waist on hip bone: 84 cm (33,1”) ... -2 cm (-0,8”)
Hips: 97 cm (38,2”) ... - 3,5 cm (-1,4”)
Thighs at widest point (L/R): 54 / 54 cm (21,2" /21,2") ... - 5,5 / 5 cm (-2"/-2")
Thigh at middle (L/R): 50 / 50 cm (19,7"/19,7") ... -2 / -2 cm (-0,8"/-0,8")

Last edited by tatjanaTT : 08-24-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added my age
Old 08-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Tatjana's transformation - before pictures

These are my before pictures. I took them myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0631.JPG (34.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0634.JPG (41.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0635.JPG (40.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Default Tatjana's transformation

and my after pictures. They were taken by my boyfriend yesterday afternoon, because we don't have Sunday newspaper and also my daughter was not at hom and it was a little bit easier to take the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0871.JPG (26.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0866.JPG (25.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0875.JPG (22.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by tatjanaTT : 08-22-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Default Continuing to learn...

There are two main reasons I decided to join this TT Contest:

1) Over the past winter and early spring, I started trying new (non-TT) programs. In the past, I would have put them off and just continued using TT, but instead I decided to give them a try. While they were OK, they weren't nearly as fun, and my results weren't as great as when I have used TT. I knew going back to TT workouts was the right choice.

2) I knew that joining a TT contest would help me to focus my training as I prepared to run my first half marathon. And the training part did go off without a hitch (I ran my first half marathon in just under 2 hours and 28 minutes) but the nutrition aspect did not fare as well as I had hoped.

I decided from the beginning that I was not going to count calories. In the past, this has made me terribly neurotic. I wanted to achieve a more "natural" diet; not one that has been over-calculated. I concentrated on following Craig's Simple Nutrition for Fat Loss, but did not have quite the level of compliance I should have. However, I know I am making a difference in how my family eats. My kids are always asking whether or not a food is healthy, or if it is a treat. I learned that my actions speak to my kids, and they watch what I eat, and they, in turn, make decisions about foods. (Sometimes they decide they just don't like spinach.)

During these 12 weeks, I lost 10.2 pounds and 2.6% bodyfat. I went on vacation for a week and didn't gain any weight! Using my TT workout on vacation was fantastic - I even brought along my weights even though my husband gave me an odd look when he had to load them into the trunk of the car. I got to workout outside at sunrise, overlooking a beautiful lake. I learned that a week of no stress is good for the soul.

My results during these 12 weeks were not exactly what I had hoped, but don't count me out for future contests - I'm still working on fitness as a lifestyle and not a 12-week event. I love how the contests keep me motivated, and each one brings me closer to my goals. It may seem counter-intuitive to continue 12-week contests when I am working on long-range goals, but in every contest I learn something new, and I look forward to learning each time.

Workouts used:
TT Hotzone for Fat Loss
TT AAA for Abs
TT for Abs (original)

Beginning Stats (05/10/10):
Age group: under 40
Height: 5' 7.75"
Weight: 152.8 lbs
Bodyfat: 22.3%
Chest: 35 in
Waist: 29.5 in
Navel: 32.75 in
Hips: 37.25 in
Thigh: 20 1/16 in
Calf: 15 in

End Stats (08/01/10):
Weight: 142.6 lbs (-10.2 lbs)
Bodyfat: 19.7% (-2.6%)
Chest: 33.5 in (-1.5)
Waist: 28 in (-1.5)
Navel: 30.25 in (-2.5)
Hips: 35.5 (-1.75)
Thigh: 19 in (-1 1/16)
Calf: 14.5 in (-0.5)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Final.jpg (97.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Side Final.jpg (83.5 KB, 41 views)

"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."
~Drew Carey

Last edited by cesium0122 : 08-22-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 PM

Larmer Getting Lean

Lighter,
Stronger,
Faster

Those are my results after the 12-week Transformation Contest. I am the lightest I have been in 20 years and the strongest ever. I can compete in martial sports against men 30 years my junior and win. Turbulence Training has given me the body of a much younger man. At 51 most weekend warriors would be retiring from sports while I am pushing myself and getting better. This is particularly challenging as I do a martial sport with no age or gender categories

The time efficient, physically challenging and interesting TT workouts fit well into my lifestyle. I have done workouts at the gym, in my garage and at the park as my schedule dictates. My 4 year old likes the park workouts as she comes along and plays. Meanwhile I am pumping out chin-ups on the climbing gym or doing kettle bell swings. It is flattering when the Moms in the park comment that they wished their husbands worked out like I do and got the same results (okay so I am vain).

I came to this my third contest with a new approach. In previous contests I focused on strength and not fat loss; the focus on being stronger but not being faster or leaner. This contest the focus was; stripping the fat. Knowing that calories needed to drop I eliminated beer from my home and stop buying a doughnut every few days. I did intermittent 24-hour fasts twice a week following Brad Pilon's advice in Eat Stop Eat. I also increased my intake of fruits and vegetables with extra fruit at breakfast and Big Boy salads at lunch. The results were great as new muscle definition appeared on my body. My muscles expanded while the body fat disappeared. My waist circumference dropped to its lowest ever as did my body mass. My massage therapist and bodybuilding friends noted the increased definition.

So what were the statistics?

I am a 51-year-old male standing 180 cm tall (5í 11Ē) with a light frame.

My body mass at the end had only changed a bit going down 2.7 kg to 75 kg (165 lbs) but the drop in centimeters of fat tell me that I lost more than 2.7 kg of fat.

I striped 9 cm (over 3 inches) off of my waist, 6 cm off the chest, 2 cm off the neck yet gained 2 cm on my shoulder measurement. Legs, arms and buttocks also all dropped by 2 to 3 cm, perhaps modest gains for some but when already lean, fairly significant for me.

I used Turbulence Training programs Adrenaline, Addiction and Hardcore. I found these programs to be challenging and intense. I particularly liked the challenge workouts and the shuttle sprints. I bought my first Russian kettle bell and I quite enjoy it. This caused me to buy the TT KB workouts for use in the future.

It was a great journey and I am not done yet. I learned more about fitness and nutrition along the way. I will continue to live the Turbulence Training lifestyle so as I age I become stronger and faster .

Thanks to my Wife, to Craig, my social support friends and my friends on the TT forums. I could not have done it without you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC 8 Side right relaxed Before - .jpg (45.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg TC 8 Side right relaxed After Pictures - .jpg (50.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg TC 8 Back flexed Before - .jpg (43.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TC 8 Back flexed After Pictures - .jpg (50.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Larmer getting Lean

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC 8 Front relaxed Before - .jpg (44.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg TC 8 Front relax After Pictures - .jpg (48.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Larmer getting Lean

The newspaper close ups.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 AM

Talking

Hi everyone, here'e my entry for the 8th TC:

Height- 1.79m, age- 23

Before----------------------After------------Change
Weight- 95kg---------------79.6.5 kg----------15.4kg!!!
Lower abs-102 cm----------91 cm------------lost 11 cm
No measurements--------Middle abs- 87cm
No measurements--------Upper abs- 83 cm
Chest -109cm---------------100 cm----------lost 9 cm!
L arm -38 cm----------------34cm-------------lost 4 cm
R arm- 39 cm----------------35 cm------------lost 4 cm
L thigh-58cm----------------55 cm------------lost 3 cm
R thigh-59cm----------------56 cm------------lost 3 cm
L calve- 40cm---------------37.5 cm----------lost 2.5 cm
R calve- 41cm---------------38 cm------------lost 3 cm

Long-term goals- lose about 6-8 kg of fat (could aim for more, but I don't know how much I lost this month because I didn't use the same weighing machine, but I certainly lost 2.6 kg after a month of TT- so i stick with 6-8 as a long term goal, might readjust it)- he-he, lost a total of 15.4 kg!!!
-do 10 pullups&chinups after 3 months- NO PROBLEM WITH THOSE NOW!!
- do assisted 1 arm pushups after 3 months- ok, also can do kneeling 1-arm pushups
-eat clean for 3 months- 100% ok!!!
-fit again in my Medium t-shirts&old pants (already changed one pair last week because they were too large!!!)- done, even bought a pile of Medium-sized new T-shirts!!!
Also managed to do 1 arm inverted rows and hold a 5 min regular plank!!

And my essay:
Well, here I am at the end of a 12 week transformation. Only 0.3% of my entire life and I’ve managed to do incredible changes in both lifestyle and body composition. Though I’ve been in three previous transformation contests (1,2,3), I’ve never achieved my goals like I did this time. I only ended by losing 6-7 pounds in 3 months and switching to my old lifestyle immediately after. So what was the difference in TC 8? I’d say social support, consistency, nutrition, intense training, patience and optimal recovery after TT workouts.
Social support- only now do I realize that Craig was 100% right: it’s the most important factor in a fat loss contest. I’ve ignored it completely in the other contests and failed without exception. So special thanks to everyone: the TT Forum members, my university colleagues, my parents (who really tried to help me and stayed away from unhealthy food in my presence), my training partner, who’s been a huge source of motivation, to my wonderful girlfriend. And above all, thank you, Craig, for making all this possible, for the contest, for the forum and for teaching me all I’ll ever know about fat loss and proper training.
Consistency- like never before, I simply went through my diet&training program everyday, almost robotically, without stressing out over the results. And this is where patience played its part: in the other contests I was expecting great results too soon (like in a week or two) and, seeing that they’re not coming, I’d then cheat more often on my diet& get discouraged etc. None of this happened this time. Patience. Great results come in time if you’re consistent enough.
Nutrition- this is what made a huge difference!! It’s like the source of 70% of my success. But I didn’t do anything complicated: just eliminated all sources of added sugar in my diet, all liquid calories, ate lots of fruits&vegetables because they fill you up and control your hunger. And that’s about it. I only ate when I was hungry and only as much as I needed to feel full. Sometimes less than 1500 calories/day, just because I wasn’t hungry at all. And I found out something very important: I think that with proper nutrition, it doesn’t matter which TT program you use: I’ve lost the SAME amount of weight in both 2K6 and the preparation phase from the 6 month BW Manual (even if the last one would be considered an easy workout by many TT users ). I even dropped the intervals for 2 weeks and the results were the same.
Intense training&recovery- As for training, nothing new in this contest, as I always loved hard work. But again, I think I learned some new stuff about recovery (it worked for me at least): we’re not meant to work at full intensity for a too long period of time- personally, after 3 weeks, I was beginning to feel it. So I started at low intensity for the first week, do the workouts as prescribed in the second, and then try to constantly beat my previous achievements in the last 2 weeks. I applied the same kind of rule to interval training as well. And it worked just fine for me: in short time I got rid of my knee&back pains and was feeling full of energy at all times. Surely the way to go for me!!
What did I learn in this contest? There’s nothing we can’t achieve as long as we’re determined enough and we stick to it. This is why I’m so eager to join the 9th contest. That’s when I’m finally going to get my 6 pack abs!!!

Here are my before photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09758e.jpg (73.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09759e.jpg (66.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09761e.jpg (77.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09762e.jpg (66.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09766e.jpg (43.6 KB, 6 views)
It could've been me, it could've been me..."
Meat Loaf- A kiss is a terrible thing to waste

Last edited by antoheion : 08-23-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 AM

And my after photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00152E.jpg (92.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00154E.jpg (95.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00155e.jpg (63.2 KB, 5 views)
It could've been me, it could've been me..."
Meat Loaf- A kiss is a terrible thing to waste
Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Twelve weeks ago I was sluggish, unmotivated, and quite down on myself. I frequently heard such tactful statements as; Mommy, do you have another baby in your tummy? Or, you have a squishy belly, I so love to use it as a pillow. Better yet, my husband would chime in with hints that Iím always happier when Iím working out. Although, outwardly, I blew these off as unrefined, childish statements, they hit the inward target. My only option was to take action to stop all the darts.

I began the contest on May 31, the very last day to enter. Twelve weeks later and 14 pounds lighter, I feel like a new person. My children and husband have noticed a difference, as well. Those statements turned into, Mommy, you donít have a fat belly anymore, and mommy, Iím sad because I canít use your belly as a pillow anymore. However, I do still frequently hear, Honey, you sure are a lot happier when youíre working out.

One of my goals for the contest was to find a balance between exercise and life. Generally, when I set my mind on something, I tend to have a one track focus on it while I neglect my other duties. The result has always led to burnout. This time around, I wanted to make a permanent lifestyle change not just a twelve week change. Thanks to TT, I truly believe Iíve accomplished that goal. TT has the most efficient four-fold combination for quick weight loss. Itís the perfect package of healthy eating, resistance training, intervals and cardio. With those 4 things working together, one canít help but reach their goals. The best part is that the workouts donít take very long, so I was able to exercise then get on with life. I did, however, find one part of TT to be nearly impossible. With all the variety in monthly workout options, how in the world are we supposed to choose one? They are all so amazing!

Because of my TT workouts, I feel great both physically and mentally, and I can tackle my daily duties with energy and zest. In fact, I feel so great that Iíve begun training for a duathlon, (trail running, mountain biking) at the end of September. I also know the changes Iíve made in diet, with the help of Isabel De Los Rios, and exercise have not only benefited me. Most importantly, theyíve changed my family. We all started eating healthier and exercising more as a result of this contest. Now thatís a victory within itself.
Did I say TT is amazing?

TT workouts I used:
Transformation 2: Judgment Day
2006 Hardcore Fatloss
Big 6 Fatloss Circuit.

Age Group: Under 40 Birthdate: 3/10/72
Before After Change
Height: 5'5 3/4"
Weight: 153 lbs. 139lbs = -14lbs
Body fat %: 28% 22% = -6%
Chest (just below breast): 33Ē 32" = -1"
Belly Button: 38Ē 30" = -8"
Waist: 39Ē 33" = -6"
Right Arm: 12.25Ē 10.75" = -1.5"
Left Arm: 12Ē 10.75" = -1.25"
Right Leg: 24Ē 22.5" = -1.5"
Left Leg: 23.5Ē 22" =-1.5"
Inches Lost Overall: 20.75"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before 31 May.jpg (60.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg After 23 Aug.jpg (67.9 KB, 53 views)
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

3rd Place TC8 5-week mini contest!
1st Place TC8 12-week contest Under 40 Division!