TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 8th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck1517 View Post
You touched on two really key things. One is recording what you eat, and the other is letting go of the damaging effects of guilt.

Since the start of the 7th TT contest when I joined, I have done something I did in the past, and it was really successful/useful as long as I did it-I keep a daily food journal. Some people use apps, websites, computer programs, and I don't think it matters what you use. I like the old-fashioned notebook at our kitchen table which I update in the am and evening. On the occasional days that I don't track my nutrition, I KNOW I eat more in general, and am more inclined to have treats. Trust me, if you track what you eat regularly, you will see patterns. For me, it's craving starchy carbs at certain times of the month. This is a biological response to low hormone levels-it's not a personal failing like I thought all these years. So instead of feeling guilty, I have been building extra carbs into those days, eating a few more calories because I know my body needs more calories then, and I work out harder during that week so any excess will probably go to muscle repair anyway. It's a solution that works for me. I also do a higher calorie day every 4-5 days. On a typical day I keep to 1700-2000 calories, but I'll occasionally go to 2500-2700 for that one day, and I really believe that helps. There are nutrition programs focused around this-I really have not tried them, I just do that one thing on my own and it seems to work.

I used to get into these ruts of eating junk, feeling guilty, feeling bad, and then believing I could not change, so it didn't matter what I ate. It was a vicious psychological cycle and I gained, gained, gained! I read some good books that helped me move past the guilt, but the one I most recommend is Rachel Cosgrove's "The Female Body Breakthrough." Reading about her experiences (personal and with the clients she trains) around body image, eating, and guilt really helped me to think about eating differently. Also, my husband and I watched Food, inc together and it really changed the way we thought about what we were eating. Since then, we've made more of an effort with lots of fresh produce, grass-fed and hormone and antibiotic-free meat, whole grains, and organic items. We've definitely cut down on "bag and box" foods, and I find it pretty easy to eat vegetarian most of the time, when I never even thought about that as a realistic possibility.

One thing you can start to tell yourself when tempted is,"This food is not going to get me where I want to be." I would tell myself this all the time, but I also started to tell that to family members who were pushing cake and junk on me. Recently I have started telling people this: "I'm just not able to eat whatever I want all the time and have the kind of body I want. Some people can-they're lucky. I'm not-so that is a food I just can't have all the time, or I won't reach the goals I've set for myself." Also I am honest with people: "That food doesn't agree with my stomach." You can do this! Just keep working at it, and I promise it will get easier. It doesn't feel that way now...but it will.

That's brilliant advice - thanks a lot! I know I can get there. Like you said I just need to record everything and be honest. I also need to stop beating myself up if I slip up, because the more upset I get the more likely I am to eat something fattening. I also need to realise it's ok to have a treat every now and then. I don't want/need a crazy superhero, ultra-healthy body, I just want to be happy in myself and not abuse my body with lots of junk. I'm copying this onto a word doc so I can read it whenever I'm feeling rubbish I'm also going to tell myself 'This food is not going to get me where I want to be' like, a million times before I reach for a cake!

It's a bit mad. In a split second I decided to become vegan (after eating meat/dairy all my life) out of respect for animals. So if I can do it for them, surely I can do the same for myself?!

As for today...Day 13 (unlucky for some)

My mysterious illness is still playing havoc with my insides... so it's been plain eating. Going out for a bite tonight so will go for something simple.
As for workout, still in 'off' mode until I feel better, but I did do a big stretch session at lunch, and I'm about to do a gentle bodyweight circuit. Right now I'm just desperate to get back to the gym. Hopefully by tomorrow/sat I'll feel much perkier!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Day 14

Cough cough... lets just move on...

Day 15

WOO! Back to the gym Had a good workout (B of intermediate) although I HATE SB rollouts. It hurts my arms and not in a good way. So I subbed them for planks. Did my intervals on the treadmill and good grief they were tough! Had to reduce my speed a bit, but I did the 4 cycles even though I wanted to quit after the 1st!

Had an almond/raspberry shake for breakfast. Going out for lunch so will need to be sensible... And for tea it's baked portobello mushrooms, guacamole, jalapenos and onion rings. Ok onion rings aren't healthy, but I only have a couple and they take the burger from tasting amazing to completely awesome! Seriously, for a treat meal you have to try this combo.

After feeling a bit down for the last few days I feel so much better now I can get back to the workouts. Ok so maybe at the time I'm just praying for it to be over, but after I feel great! I also weighed myself and surprisingly, I haven't put on weight in the last week. Actually, I've lost some, but I don't really believe the numbers!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Believe the numbers. Or better, take pix. I was not expecting results in a 5 week contest. Totally shocking! I took pix more often after that. When I put them side by side on the screen, I could really see the results and progress.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestme View Post
Believe the numbers. Or better, take pix. I was not expecting results in a 5 week contest. Totally shocking! I took pix more often after that. When I put them side by side on the screen, I could really see the results and progress.
Yeah I've been meaning to take some photos... I suppose figures and inches etc don't mean much unless there are visible differences! I'll take some for the start of the next 12 week transformation.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Day 16 and 17

Ok, so the Edinburgh festival is doing its best to sabotage my nutrition, with its beer and nachos... And with loads of shows booked up for the month fat loss could be tricky. My plan: limit myself to 1 bottle of beer a show MAX, and not eat out everytime (I can't afford it anyway!), and to keep my exercise spot on.

I planned on noting my food and exercise for the last two days, but the image of Bradley Cooper in the A-team is dominating my brain at the minute. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow...
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM

I saw something today about something like "situational willpower". Okay, I forget the exact expression but the idea was not putting yourself into situations where willpower comes into play. Like, for example, I went to visit a friend the other day and got a lot of pressure to stay for dinner, which turned out to be just pasta. Ugh. Not a food I should have anyway and then I kept eating more. Had I had any clue, I would have had a plan for this situation, such as, loads more food I can eat.

Anyway...been wondering.
What does your signature mean?
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM

It's a line from Shrek
Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Oh! Thanks. Didn't recognize it and we have the book and the movie! I'll be watching out for it next time.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestme View Post
Oh! Thanks. Didn't recognize it and we have the book and the movie! I'll be watching out for it next time.
It's in the 4th one when Shrek meets all the other ogres. I think it has to be the best arrangement of words I have ever heard.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM

Day 18

Ok. Grub first.

0600 - smoothie
0900 - sultana bran with soya milk
1100 - raw nuts
1300 - hummus/pepper sandwich on seedy bread
1550 - almond milk and raspberry shake
1900 - 3 veggie spring rolls and 4 onion rings, dark chocolate

Hmmm... up until tea everything was going ok... I'm on my own tonight so was lazy and couldn't be bothered cooking.

Exercise
0540 - gentle yoga
1130 - assisted pull ups, leg swings, stretch
1700 - workout A of intermediate

Knee was a bit iffy during split squats, which has never happened before, so don't know what I was doing wrong there. For pushups I'm doing 5 full then 10 kneeling, hopefully I will build this up over time. Still wobbly about during SB jacknifes but I didn't fall off! Woo! ALTHOUGH, I don't feel it in my abs At all. Topped it off with intervals on the bike which killed. So, overall, a good workout!