TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 8th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetamclan View Post
Day 5

Quick question - how knackered does everyone feel when doing weights? My limbs get sore and my heartrate raises, but I don't get very sweaty... Should I up the speed of my reps? Don't get me wrong, by the end of intervals I'm a sweaty mess, but I'm a little worried I'm not pushing hard enough during weights.
You should follow the tempo that Craig has set.
Example: db bench press 3-0-1 Take 3 sec to come down, no rest, then lift back up in 1 sec. If you think you need to push harder, add more weight if you can do all the reps and think it's too easy. Otherwise stick to what you're doing because you are working plenty hard. Believe me, the tempo he set with the weights is hard enough. I'm not much of a sweater. I sweat, but not profusely like, say, my husband does. We will both do a similar intense workout, and he'll be dripping while I'm barely wet.
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

3rd Place TC8 5-week mini contest!
1st Place TC8 12-week contest Under 40 Division!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4 View Post
You should follow the tempo that Craig has set.
Example: db bench press 3-0-1 Take 3 sec to come down, no rest, then lift back up in 1 sec. If you think you need to push harder, add more weight if you can do all the reps and think it's too easy. Otherwise stick to what you're doing because you are working plenty hard. Believe me, the tempo he set with the weights is hard enough. I'm not much of a sweater. I sweat, but not profusely like, say, my husband does. We will both do a similar intense workout, and he'll be dripping while I'm barely wet.
Ok cool I have been following them a bit, but I will make sure I do them at the exact timing. Maybe I'm not very sweaty either... Suppose that isn't a bad thing!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM

just a thought... but the more water I drink- the more I sweat

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride- and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high- but so are the rewards." ~ PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

My Fitday Journal
Old 07-28-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
just a thought... but the more water I drink- the more I sweat
Ditto. And I think it's better to drink more and sweat more; it flushes out toxins and that is related to fatloss. Fat likes to store toxins. I don't get this 100% but it's something Isabel of The Diet Solution Program explained when I saw he speak. Not the sweating bit but water, fat, toxins. And also eating fat to detox and lose fat. But anyway, I'm a dripping mess usually by about the halfway point or sooner. My sweat is clean now. Not smelly nor salty.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Sore head-could be need for more water. Whenever my head hurts, I drink a lot!
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestme View Post
Sore head-could be need for more water. Whenever my head hurts, I drink a lot!
Yeah that's usually my plan aswell. Drink water and lie down! I dunno what was up with my sore head, I don't get them often and I do drink lots of water. Maybe with my extra exercise I need to up it a bit.
As for more water - more sweaty, I will certainly give it a go and measure moisture levels! The only thing is sometimes if I drink too much it can slosh about in my belly and make me feel sick

Anyway, Day 6

I did tabata intervals on my off day, along with extra stretching and yoga. My left hamstring has been so tight for ages so I'm working hard to gently ease it out. Eating was ok... although I just had almond milk with cocoa. My excuse - I needed to finish the almond milk before going away! (I pride myself on using every excuse in the book).

So I probably won't be able to post until Tuesday, unless I get internet access while I'm away. But I have some pressed fruit and date bars to have as a sweet treat, and I plan to nurse my drinks very slowly. I also have my bw circuits to do every morning.

While I've had a couple of diet slip ups, I did manage to stick to my mini goal and avoid crisps and juice at work. Just need to meet it every week from now on!

My goal for next week is not to have a cake next friday at work (someone is going on holiday and it's tradition). It's a small goal, but I've never refused a cake yet, so this will be a big step!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Unhappy

Day 7-12

Thanks to Ireland and now a funny bug of some sort, I have been on 'off' days the whole time However, I have managed to stay active, either by doing bw circuits or going big walks on all these days. And while my diet hasn't been weight-loss worthy, I've not been snacking and stuck to three meals a day. I'm hoping I've not put any weight on (although I'm pretty sure I've not lost any!), so this week shouldn't be a total write-off. The annoying thing is I can't go to the gym tomorrow either because I'm off to the football, and before I'm meeting a friend for drinks and something to eat (eek!). But gym on friday. Back to it!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetamclan View Post
Thanks Hearing about how someone came through the process makes it seem more achievable. When I read about people's healthy eating in magazines etc it just seems disconnected from the real world, and I never believe I can do it too. I am starting to make the connections between feeling rubbish and eating rubbish, the next step is actually not eating it, rather than having these revelations after I've splurged and feel all guilty!

My biggest problem is I can talk myself round to almost anything. I always manage to argue that this one cake/biscuit/beer won't make a real difference. Usually if I have one I don't then eat loads more, but the next day, temptation will come along and I'll again convince myself that only one biscuit won't hurt. The same the next day etc etc...

I think I might try recording every time I'm tempted, so if I turn it down I can see that all these individual times do add up. Right now it hasn't really clicked that in order to lose weight there are going to have to be times when I say no.
You touched on two really key things. One is recording what you eat, and the other is letting go of the damaging effects of guilt.

Since the start of the 7th TT contest when I joined, I have done something I did in the past, and it was really successful/useful as long as I did it-I keep a daily food journal. Some people use apps, websites, computer programs, and I don't think it matters what you use. I like the old-fashioned notebook at our kitchen table which I update in the am and evening. On the occasional days that I don't track my nutrition, I KNOW I eat more in general, and am more inclined to have treats. Trust me, if you track what you eat regularly, you will see patterns. For me, it's craving starchy carbs at certain times of the month. This is a biological response to low hormone levels-it's not a personal failing like I thought all these years. So instead of feeling guilty, I have been building extra carbs into those days, eating a few more calories because I know my body needs more calories then, and I work out harder during that week so any excess will probably go to muscle repair anyway. It's a solution that works for me. I also do a higher calorie day every 4-5 days. On a typical day I keep to 1700-2000 calories, but I'll occasionally go to 2500-2700 for that one day, and I really believe that helps. There are nutrition programs focused around this-I really have not tried them, I just do that one thing on my own and it seems to work.

I used to get into these ruts of eating junk, feeling guilty, feeling bad, and then believing I could not change, so it didn't matter what I ate. It was a vicious psychological cycle and I gained, gained, gained! I read some good books that helped me move past the guilt, but the one I most recommend is Rachel Cosgrove's "The Female Body Breakthrough." Reading about her experiences (personal and with the clients she trains) around body image, eating, and guilt really helped me to think about eating differently. Also, my husband and I watched Food, inc together and it really changed the way we thought about what we were eating. Since then, we've made more of an effort with lots of fresh produce, grass-fed and hormone and antibiotic-free meat, whole grains, and organic items. We've definitely cut down on "bag and box" foods, and I find it pretty easy to eat vegetarian most of the time, when I never even thought about that as a realistic possibility.

One thing you can start to tell yourself when tempted is,"This food is not going to get me where I want to be." I would tell myself this all the time, but I also started to tell that to family members who were pushing cake and junk on me. Recently I have started telling people this: "I'm just not able to eat whatever I want all the time and have the kind of body I want. Some people can-they're lucky. I'm not-so that is a food I just can't have all the time, or I won't reach the goals I've set for myself." Also I am honest with people: "That food doesn't agree with my stomach." You can do this! Just keep working at it, and I promise it will get easier. It doesn't feel that way now...but it will.

You can't out-train a bad diet.

To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done.

I've been at this a while-all last year in fact!

Contest #7 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8167
Contest #8 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=8904
Contest #9 thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9480
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Starbuck, that was solid advice. Good stuff.
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck1517 View Post
You touched on two really key things. One is recording what you eat, and the other is letting go of the damaging effects of guilt.

Since the start of the 7th TT contest when I joined, I have done something I did in the past, and it was really successful/useful as long as I did it-I keep a daily food journal. Some people use apps, websites, computer programs, and I don't think it matters what you use. I like the old-fashioned notebook at our kitchen table which I update in the am and evening. On the occasional days that I don't track my nutrition, I KNOW I eat more in general, and am more inclined to have treats. Trust me, if you track what you eat regularly, you will see patterns. For me, it's craving starchy carbs at certain times of the month. This is a biological response to low hormone levels-it's not a personal failing like I thought all these years. So instead of feeling guilty, I have been building extra carbs into those days, eating a few more calories because I know my body needs more calories then, and I work out harder during that week so any excess will probably go to muscle repair anyway. It's a solution that works for me. I also do a higher calorie day every 4-5 days. On a typical day I keep to 1700-2000 calories, but I'll occasionally go to 2500-2700 for that one day, and I really believe that helps. There are nutrition programs focused around this-I really have not tried them, I just do that one thing on my own and it seems to work.

I used to get into these ruts of eating junk, feeling guilty, feeling bad, and then believing I could not change, so it didn't matter what I ate. It was a vicious psychological cycle and I gained, gained, gained! I read some good books that helped me move past the guilt, but the one I most recommend is Rachel Cosgrove's "The Female Body Breakthrough." Reading about her experiences (personal and with the clients she trains) around body image, eating, and guilt really helped me to think about eating differently. Also, my husband and I watched Food, inc together and it really changed the way we thought about what we were eating. Since then, we've made more of an effort with lots of fresh produce, grass-fed and hormone and antibiotic-free meat, whole grains, and organic items. We've definitely cut down on "bag and box" foods, and I find it pretty easy to eat vegetarian most of the time, when I never even thought about that as a realistic possibility.

One thing you can start to tell yourself when tempted is,"This food is not going to get me where I want to be." I would tell myself this all the time, but I also started to tell that to family members who were pushing cake and junk on me. Recently I have started telling people this: "I'm just not able to eat whatever I want all the time and have the kind of body I want. Some people can-they're lucky. I'm not-so that is a food I just can't have all the time, or I won't reach the goals I've set for myself." Also I am honest with people: "That food doesn't agree with my stomach." You can do this! Just keep working at it, and I promise it will get easier. It doesn't feel that way now...but it will.
AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! This is probally the MOST helpful thing I have read regarding diet!!!!!

All of it really but ESPECIALLY the part about carbs, more calories, and TOM!!!! I have been dealing with -or NOT dealing with this the last few days. I think my trying to keep calories and carbs too low for me becasue of the contest coming to an end... it made me too hungry and too weak to deal with temptations.

I am just not one who can crash diet. I need a steady way - life time way - of eating that works for my body.

This is greadt advice about upping carbs and calories AND workout certain days!!! I am printing it out so I can read several times. I can relate to the guilt comments too.

I just read The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I was deciding between that and Rachel's book- I will get hers next.

Whoop I feel like I found a treasure if info to help me -wish I had read this weeks ago- but- so glad I read it now!!!!!!

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride- and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high- but so are the rewards." ~ PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

My Fitday Journal