TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 6th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Back on the horse Violet! Good thinking listening to the TT call for motivation dont beat yourself up about whats happened in the past, you cant change that it will just bring you down and make you more likely to do it again. Planning is the thing that helps me that most. I have trouble with getting enough sleep as well... wish i had some suggestions to help you
Old 09-21-2009, 03:15 AM

I had messed up sleep for a long time (until recently) due mostly to stress from work and bad eating habits at night etc. I did all the things that you read about with respect to "fixing" your sleep but it did take a while to sort out my sleep pattern. However, when it was fixed, I got the best, sweetest sleep ever and it was well worth it.

I guess you need to find out what's causing your sleep problems as it tends to be different things for different people but it'll be well worth it. I suppose the point of my post is to say that it might take some trial and error and take some time before you get things right with your sleep.

Find me on Facebook
Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 PM

I've always struggled with sleep - even before I started working shifts!! Too many things whizzing around in my mind! Add in shift work, it's a wonder I sleep at all!!

Sometimes, sleep issues can be caused by dietary issues - the change in diet could be affecting your sleep. Check what you are eating towards the end of the day and see whether there is anything there that could be causing it. Alternatively, you don't mention at what time of day you are exercising. Exercising right before bed can also be detrimental to good sleep.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the posts. I work out first thing in the morning (8:30 am ish); but some days it will be around 11 am because I work 1pm-10:30 pm roughly and I want to go in at 11am to use the gym at work to have access to heavier dumbbells, etc.
Today I did intermediate workout A. I used 12lbs for all the exercises, and increased some reps for the incline press. However, I know that I could do more than 1+the number of reps for maximum reps at that weight, so I know I didn't get pushed enough. The intervals were done running outside so I am not sure what the pace was, but it was probably slower than on the treadmill last week.
My eating schedule was good today - around 1400 cals. eggs, ezekiel bread, apples, watermelon, celery, carrot, sweet potato, chicken, natural whey protein and blueberries, banana and some almonds. I am tired because at night I think so much and can't sleep. I tried to go to bed too early Saturday night since I usually sleep later because of my shift. Anyways, hoping for a better night's sleep tonight. And I'll push harder on Wednesday. Looking forward to a great workout week and being properly nourished (i've got plenty of veggies, fruit, beef, eggs, and chicken for the week)!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Hi Violet-
Don't beat yourself up over falling back into bad eating patterns! Planning ahead really helps, so you have healthy snacks for any situation that might come up, and don't have an excuse to hit the vending machine or jar of nuts. If you overeat at home, maybe time to get rid of the nuts until you can handle them better? I've done that when my nut eating got out of control. It's funny, I can have a box of girl scout cookies in the cupboard for months and not even look at it - but the bag of cashews calls my name all evening! I suspect I'd actually rather eat the cookies, but it's easier to rationalize the nuts because I can take "a few" and not know how bad it is unless I weigh them.

I've had trouble getting to sleep too, and I find that both ZMA and melatonin help. ZMA is zinc, magnesium and B6; I think it's the magnesium that helps with sleep, and it may help with food cravings too. I try to take it regularly, but also take melatonin if I'm having a lot of trouble getting to sleep.

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks, Evenstar. My mom always tells me to take Calcium before I go to bed to help me sleep - and the calcium supplement also has magnesium and zinc. so I should remember to do that.

Daily report:
40 min. running outside
nutrition - followed plan for eggs, protein powder, lean beef, chicken, sweet potatoes, handful almonds, apples, banana, spinach, green beans, and blueberries and raspberries - ~ 1500 cals per sparkpeople.com

Wrote in my journal today and read my goals again. I'm going to do my weekly weigh-in tonight (forgot it last night) and measure my waist next week - hoping for a one inch loss.
Tomorrow: TT intermediate workout B.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Forgot to weigh myself again yesterday. Will do tonight.

intermediate Workout B this morning: used 20 lb. weights on each arm.
Next time I should use 25 lbs to really follow the 1+max rule.
interval was workout A beginner interval b/c I couldn't remember the rest interval timing. will have to reference that.
5 min - ramped up from 12 min mile to 10 min mile
1 min at 6:48 min pace ("8.8" speed on treadmill)
2 min ramp from 12 min mile to 9 min mile
repeat (total of 4 intervals)
cool down and walk off treadmille around 17 minute mark - running late today!

Nutrition: calcualation was 1500 cals. right on target.

I was surprised the workout wasn't harder. Maybe I shouldn't go so low on the speed setting for rests. But then last week at 10 min miles it was so hard. Anyways, I know I need to up the weights and I think I may be able to up the speed. or maybe just today was a good day. I 've been focusing on singing from my diaphragm (when I sing to the radio in the car on my long commutes! ha ha) and I think that may be helping my cardiovascular/aerobic conditioning!
tomorrow is 40 min running/jogging. and volleyball with friends if I can get my lunch break from work!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 PM

Weight (just now): 144 lbs. I guess that's one lb. less from last week, but maybe if I hadn't messed up on the nutrition on Sunday it would be better. 1 lb could still be water, muscle or fat loss, so I don't really know - it doesn't really tell me anything, and it's only one week anyways. I'll measure my waist next week to see if I lost an inch.

Ran or jogged this morning: 46 min. I think it was really slow. I felt tired - I think from the other day's workout. I think it was maybe 12 min mile pace.

Nutrition - on target, same whole foods (except the whey protein powder) and 1425 caloric count.

Tomorrow: Workout A intermediate. with intervals.

unfortunately, no time for the volleyball today. back to work
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 AM

That's okay, 1lb is still a step in the right direction. Keep it going Violet!