TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 17th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Hi Maureen!

You are definitively doing an awesome progress!! Congrats and keep rocking!

The fight against hunger is a psychological one most of the time. When you feel hungry you may have some water or unsweetened tea and wait 15 min before eating a snack. After a couple of days you may wait a bit longer (20 min?)... with time you will teach yourself to have some control over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
I've also been constantly hungry lately, which poses its own issues, especially when away from home all day. I did stop at the farmers market for fresh fruit (awesome lychees) and had a delicious veggie quinoa salad and green tea for lunch, and my raw nuts for a snack - but I just kept wanting more! I came in about 250 calories over goal today, since I had too many nuts. Next time, better planning! More veggies, etc. in the cooler.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:24 AM

Measurement day today, which brings good news but not as exciting as previous weeks. The best is the 0.5" loss on my hips, but other spots are up and down, I believe substituting muscle for fat. For example, my quads have gone back to baseline, but I can see they're more muscular than before. So, progress this week, but not as impressive as I'd hoped.

I need to learn more about using cheat days to re-set my metabolism, as I'm a little worried I'm bringing it down by not having them. Is this true?
Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 AM

If you've been eating at a deficit for a longish period of time it's true that your metabolism may down regulate. In instances like this a cheat day once a week can help correct this.

What I like to do is set myself an average caloric goal per day which is averaged over the week. I include the calories I take in on my cheat day into this average.

For the sake of easiness lets say my daily average goal is 1000 cals. I might set my week up like this.

Sunday - cheat day 2000 cals
Monday - 500 cals
Tuesday - 1100 cals
Wednesday - 900
Thursday - 1000
Friday - 800
Saturday - 700

Total calories for the week 7000. Divide by 7 you've hit your target of 1000 per day and received the benefit of a metabolism boosting cheat day. So if you see what I mean you don't eat your target cals each and every day but rather just spread the total cals over the week. This approach is much more flexible. There are days you will eat more and others you will eat less. It works in with the ebbs and flows of life more conveniently.

I find that after my cheat day I want a day of very light eating. It gives my digestion a break and swings the balance back in my favour. You'll probably notice the same thing. The other trick I've learnt is to start the week (post cheat) with low carbs and then gradually add them back in as the week progresses.

They're definitely worth playing around with if you've stalled for a while. However I would say to you that you're going to have weeks with a lot of progress and other weeks with not so much regardless of your dietary approach. If what you've been doing has been working for you so far stick with it for a little longer before you make any major changes. Our bodies work in mysterious ways and next week may bring some significant losses without the inclusion of a cheat day.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Thanks so much for this info, Peter, it makes sense. I'll have to play around with the particulars to see how it would work for me. But I'm also heartened with your encouragement that our weeks will vary and just stick with something if it's working in general.

So perhaps even if I don't go for an all-out cheat day and just have one meal that's over the day's allocation, I can just cut back on the next day to even it out and not get too involved with planning an entire day with an overage just yet. I'll be playing around with the idea of an entire day later.

Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Thanks so much for this info, Peter, it makes sense. I'll have to play around with the particulars to see how it would work for me. But I'm also heartened with your encouragement that our weeks will vary and just stick with something if it's working in general.

So perhaps even if I don't go for an all-out cheat day and just have one meal that's over the day's allocation, I can just cut back on the next day to even it out and not get too involved with planning an entire day with an overage just yet. I'll be playing around with the idea of an entire day later.

Thanks again!
No worries Maureen. Like they say if it aint broke don't fix it. However cheat's can be a useful addition to the fat loss tool kit. I find that for me the biggest benefit is a mental one. That break from strict eating (even if it's just one meal) can be a lifesaver.

I've likened it to that guilt free way off eating you only experience as a kid. You know when you were little and put away an enormous amount of junk and didn't even think about the repercussions, only how much you enjoyed the food. Well your cheat day is sort of like that. A guilt free day (meal) of over indulgence where you get to stop stressing about everything you put into your mouth. It's the mental holiday that's worth more than the physical benefits for me.

Have fun with it, don't let it get out of control and then get back to work the next day.

Any more questions feel free to hit my up.

Cheers

Pete
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post

Any more questions feel free to hit my up.

Cheers

Pete
Thanks, Pete
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 AM

Feeling really ready for a workout today after having the weekend off. Completed the last of Week 4 HWR (20-10 Total Body 16 min. Revolution plus optional Conditioning Ladder). Pooped at the end, as usual!, but feeling good.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Oh, no! I missed my daily post yesterday. Well, it was a good day. I gardened for my off-day workout and got a lot of stuff done (digging dirt, hauling mulch, planting).

Food was good, too. I made a new onion-potato soup and had it with a fresh salad for dinner (with cucumber from the garden!).
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 PM

So very nice to have food from your garden. Love being outside. Continued success Maureen. Concetta
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 AM

Okay, so I pretty much have nowhere to go but up on the Pull-up/Push-up/BW Squat Challenge. One minute of pull-ups??? PLEASE. I can do three straight, that's it, and they aren't even clean but have a bit of a jump to the start. But I know I'll get better!

I swam today for my day off and I can tell my arms are getting much stronger. The coral goes by faster...