TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 17th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 AM

Smile Maureen's accountability log

Okay, I've been hiding in the background for the first month, doing my thing here and getting results, but I know the group interaction and support will drive me to better outcomes, soooo...

I've decided to post every day to keep myself accountable and (almost) totally eliminate the risk of backsliding or becoming complacent. Gotta have a little pressure!

For a bit of background: This is my first TT transformation contest (although I was introduced to the idea via Craig's ETR transformation contest). I'm 52 years old, 5'5 1/2" and I started the contest at 117 lbs and 18.2% body fat (per my cheap calipers, which I know have a huge margin of error, but I wanted stats). I need to lose fat around my hips, thighs and legs, and gain muscle all over. I've basically slowly degraded into a fairly thin but overfat desk jockey over the years.

At one month I have lost 2 1/8" from the waist down, gained 1/2" in my quads, lost 3 lbs total and 1.8% (2.1 lbs) of fat. It's very exciting to start to see my muscles again!

What I find amazing is how quickly the calories add up! I'm using the "Lose It!" app on my phone to track my food intake, since it's quick. It has assigned me 1,364 calories/day to lose 1/2 lb/wk. So far I'm under almost all the time, but I eat a lot of salad with low calorie dressing to fill up. Not a bad thing, just a little surprising.

I absolutely love the HWR exercises, because they are done so quickly. I still have kids at home and am working on building a business, so my time is very valuable. My typical routine is to start dinner, keep the heat really low, and pop into the next room to complete my workout. I started with the Beginner's workouts and have now moved into the regular workouts (up to week 3 in the regular). I always do the optional challenge at the end, and I'm always challenged! But I love it.

Another FANTASTIC side effect of these workouts, and I truly mean fantastic, is the reduction in back pain I've gotten. The desk jockey role made my back really tight, and I'd started in a spiral of not being able to push myself physically because it hurt too much, which caused more tightness, which caused more pain, etc. Even with dedicated stretches and exercises, I couldn't break out of it. I've taken great care to start slowly and not overdo the TT exercises, and now even when my back hurts during a workout it recovers by the next day. I'm going to be the poster child for reducing back pain.

Okay, I've rambled on enough. Daily posts from me are coming...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Welcome! That's great to hear about the back pain. Sounds like you're on a path that will take you right where you want to be.

Mark
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Welcome Maureen and well done for posting! It does definitely help to post and follow everyone's threads ... We're all in this together!

I am also doing HWR ... just starting it and really enjoying. It's great to be able to do it at home and I think it helps with keeping consistent with the program.

Well done so far and good luck in the rest of your journey.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM

Happy you decided to post Maureen. We are here to help, support and push when necessary. You are making great progress, keep at it. Concetta
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 AM

Worked all afternoon putting slides together for an Anatomy and Physiology class we'll be teaching this summer. Pretty tired, but managed to pump out the 15-20 10 SCREACH plus Metabolic Trio Ladder before dinner. It wasn't too bad, but my arms are tired and my knees are a bit sore. Gotta watch my form on the squats and lunges to be sure I don't cause chronic pain.

Now, with a full tummy and after a hot shower, time to wind down. I was 52 calories over my goal today, even accounting for the workout. Oh well, not bad. Tomorrow we work an aid station at the Honu Triathlon, a qualifier for the Ironman in October. I'll get inspired by all the buff athletes!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:48 AM

Wonderful day of inspiration seeing all kinds of athletes giving it everything they've got. There was no qualifier to get into this race, but this was a qualifier for the Ironman. Hence, a wide range of athletes entered, some clearly elite and some just hanging in there - hard to even believe they made it as far as they did. People working REALLY hard all day. Great to be a part of it.

Day off for me, just walked a LOT and did everything I could to support the athletes.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 AM

Well, I'm surprised I actually came in 25 calories below goal today! I was so hungry I had to keep eating, but kept choosing lower calorie foods and filling up on watery things.

Took a nice, hour-long walk in the drizzly rain, which eventually turned to sunshine, so had an enjoyable Sunday afternoon after a lot of desk work. I'm appreciating the day off, since my shoulders and knees were a tad sore yesterday, but much less so today.

Took my 3 week measurements today. Total inches lost = 3.75. I don't really trust the calipers, but according to them I've lost 2.6% body fat, down to 16.1%. I'm excited to see the differences in my body so far!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 AM

Oops, make that my 5 week measurements!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 AM

Hi Maureen

Sorry I haven't said hello yet. Looks like you're doing great, congrats on your progress so far.

See you around the forums

Pete
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Took my 5 week measurements today. Total inches lost = 3.75. I don't really trust the calipers, but according to them I've lost 2.6% body fat, down to 16.1%. I'm excited to see the differences in my body so far!
Wonderful progress Maureen, keep at it. Concetta