TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 17th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM

Default Peter J's quest for balance and the pursuit of happiness

So it begins.

I've been a member of TT for a few years and never entered a transformation competition but I feel that the time is right.

As the title of thread suggests my main aim in the next 3 months is to find balance and in doing so become a happier and better person. I feel that I've lost my way in recent years. Finding this place and training has helped me immensely. It has made me fit and improved my health. It has given me direction and for the 1st time in my life I feel inspired about pursuing a new career in fitness. But in my usual all or nothing fashion I've let it become too dominant a force in my life. What has suffered as a result you ask?

1) I've stopped surfing (the one thing that makes me happiest in the world). I've gotten to the point that I obsess over missing a workout so much that I would miss a day of perfect surf. This is not acceptable and something I plan to rectify.
2) My wife finds herself without a husband sometimes when she could really do with one because I (have to) get in that training session.
3) My daughter sometime suffers the same fate (not cool at all)
4) I’m tired a grumpy ALL OF THE TIME as a result of always pushing to get my workouts in (regardless of what shifts I've been working) and as a result I don’t push to get other more important things done.

None of these things are acceptable and all of them can easily be changed with a small relaxation of mindset with regard to training and by choosing a training program that will facilitate this (enter TT and the world of 3 day per week programming). My current schedule following Jason Ferruggia has crept up to 5 days of training per week which just isn’t sustainable.

So……

My transformation will first and foremost be about regaining balance with what is important in my life and in doing so I believe I will become a happier person, better husband and father.

I realise this is a physique transformation competition though and as such I have some goals with regard to that as well.
1) To get down to 10% body fat (or less) whilst maintaining current level of lean mass.
2) To nail down my diet by removing some of the less desirable items I sometimes frequent. Clarifying this point further I want to reduce alcohol consumption, minimise simple sugars much like in my 21 day sugar detox and finally make better food choices on my cheat day.

So to achieve all of this I’ve set myself the following rules:

1) 3 gym workouts per week only
2) I will get in 30 minutes of light activity on all off days (this will usually equate to a dog walk).
3) Aim to get one surf in per week (surf allowing) ideally I will surf more than this but 1 day a week is a good start.
4) Regarding Alcohol: I am not going to set drinking and non drinking days as I know from experience this doesn’t work for me. In addition I’m not going the total abstinence route because this is about setting sustainable habits for the long term and I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner.
Instead I will say that I will not drink more than 2 glasses of wine per night and I will take 2 nights completely off per week.
5) I will continue to follow the Renegade diet geared toward body recomp.
6) Cheat days will remain 1 day per week (Sunday) but I will aim to eat healthy cheat options eg. If I want a burger and fries I will make my own grass fed burger and fries rather than succumbing to the evil of takeaways, fast-food and their evil trans fats.
7) I will not let training get in the way of family time where I can reasonably avoid it (you have to workout sometime right?)

And that’s about it really, nice and simple.

I will make mention to one more thing and that is that matter of my goal of becoming a Personal Trainer. It is my intention to continue to pursue this goal but not at the expense of what I have listed above. I need to get my house in order 1st and then I will put all my efforts into a career change. I think that if I get my life in order and become happier that making a career change will become easier as well.

I was planning to officially commence the contest this week but due to some family commitments I was unable to. As such I will formally kick off next Monday the 13th.

I’m kicking off with Meatheads 5 x 5 and will evaluate from there as to which program I will run next. I like the look of Meatheads Off-Season though.

Thanks for listening to my long winded entry. It’s hard to put my thoughts/feeling into a cohesive set of words but hopefully this all makes sense.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to everyone’s success.

Pete

Last edited by PeterJankowski : 05-08-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 AM

Hi Peter,

I can definitely relate to the balance concerns being an all or nothing person myself. It's difficult to achieve balance in all key areas of life and that is certainly a great quest.

Your program and rules looks great. Good luck on getting there!

Tom
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganHK View Post
Hi Peter,

I can definitely relate to the balance concerns being an all or nothing person myself. It's difficult to achieve balance in all key areas of life and that is certainly a great quest.

Your program and rules looks great. Good luck on getting there!

Tom
Hey Tom. Yes it can be a burden and a blessing. It's a power you need to learn to wield responsibly.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Sounds good pete
Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Great goals, Peter.

Just writing this out is going to get you a lot closer to them.

Keep on pushing.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 AM

Great goals Peter

I switched to training first thing in the morning before heading to work. This means that my time after work can be dedicated to family.

A lot of people talk about blocking out your time for workouts, perhaps you could schedule your family time. It's then a committment you wont break.

You'll do it!

David
TC14 Winner - Males Under 40
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyc86 View Post
Sounds good pete
Ah thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Great goals, Peter.

Just writing this out is going to get you a lot closer to them.

Keep on pushing.
Ah thank you

You're right Craig. Just trying to make sense of my jumble of thoughts and put them into written word has clarified my resolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbruteforce View Post
Great goals Peter

I switched to training first thing in the morning before heading to work. This means that my time after work can be dedicated to family.

A lot of people talk about blocking out your time for workouts, perhaps you could schedule your family time. It's then a committment you wont break.

You'll do it!
Ah thank you.

I used to love training 1st thing but with shift work it just isn't possible any more.

My main goal it to simply reduce the amount of time I spend working out and therefore have more time for other important things. I don't really like the idea of scheduling family time. I think that I will have failed if I have to book my daughter into the diary if you know what I mean. I just want to be available most of the time. Train hard when I train, but then get out and forget about it until next session.

Thanks for your support. This will be a good competition (process) for all us and I look forward to being able to help you out along the way to!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 AM

Default Countdown to day one

I haven't officially started yet but thought I may as well get into the swing of things.

I had a really good day today. I slept really well last night and woke up refreshed.

I hit up workout B of 5 x 5 and to my great pleasure the whole workout only took me around 35 minutes including warm up. I'm enjoying the old TT format and I can honestly say that I feel my stress levels have dropped significantly already just because I only have to train 3 days this week. I'm working tonight and tomorrow night and I would usually have to get up tomorrow between nights and train. I would then have to train again after my 2nd night. Instead tomorrow I get to sleep (all day) and come back to work rested. Happy with that!

I had a PT session after my workout and trained my client in the park in the glorious sunshine. This is how I should be earning ALL my dollars. In time it will become me reality.

Diet as follows:

8am - Vital greens

10am - pre workout + bcaa's

11am - 2 scoops whey + creatine in water

1pm - Roast chicken breast, rainbow salad and spinach, 1 apple, 1/2 cup greek yoghurt with 1/2 scoop whey, cup of green tea

6pm - 2 homemade hotdogs on sourdough rolls, extra lean pork sausages, lettuce, sauerkraut, onion, chilli and mustard. Yum!! Not quite in the usual diet plan but hey, I haven't really started yet.

8.30pm - coconut protein berry icecream (low fat coconut milk, frozen raspberries and blueberries, chia seeds, protein), cup of green tea

I'll be sleeping all day tomorrow so diet will not be very exciting. I'll check in again tomorrow night. My home internet is still out of action.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJankowski View Post
I've never done the punisher X. The punisher I've managed but the X just takes the cake.
No cake involved Peter, just pain. Feeling it today.
Happy that you have taken the stress out of your workouts. I have often chosen programs according to their length of time.
You have outlined your issues, and a sound plan to deal with them. You can do it. Concetta
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Glad you had a good day Peter ... Rest up well tomorrow!