TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 17th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM

Keep up the good work! I am no expert, but I have had to tweek my diet as well over the last few weeks, i would just make gradual changes not a whole bunch so you can track what the change is doing for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javarino View Post
Keep up the good work! I am no expert, but I have had to tweek my diet as well over the last few weeks, i would just make gradual changes not a whole bunch so you can track what the change is doing for you.
That's a good reminder. I need to make slow, steady changes. I'm trying my best to eat nutrient dense foods and I think the sugar in the fruit may be slowing me down some. Or maybe I'm at a plateau for a bit. I've hit them before in my journey, but I think it was more my doing than a real plateau. Time to re-adjust a bit.

John Wooden
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concetta27 View Post
Jim, the beauty of these 84 days is you can try different things, get feedback and make adjustments. Fruit doesn't affect me very much. White carbs on the other hand....Keep at it, you will find what works. Concetta
Thanks as always Concetta. I need to remember slow and steady. I didn't get so out of shape in a few weeks, so I won't get it back in just a few weeks either.

John Wooden
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Default Day 13: 5-15-13

Today is my last day for Home Workout Revolution's 12 week program. So now I have to decide what to go forward with.

Initially I was thinking Mike Whitfields Metabolic Chaos. I need to mainly shred off fat, and I haven't really done weights in years. I think I'm ready and in shape enough for it. I will have to adjust some when on the road and in hotels and such, but it is possible.

Kari and I started out with our typical breakfast shake. Biotrust protein, almond milk, 1/2 banana, natural peanut butter, spinach. Forgot the flax seeds.

Lunch was leftovers from last night. Green beans, Quinoa, meatballs (small portion), radishes, and cucumbers. Had some grapes for dessert.

Workout was Home Workout Revolution Big 10 bodyweight circuit.

It was a good challenge.

Prisoner Squats - 15
Elevated Push-up - 6 per side
Prisoner diagonal lunge - 10 per side
Jumping jacks - 30
Jump Squat - 6
Spiderman Climb - 10 per side
Side to Side jump - 8 per side
Regular push up - 12
Total body extension - 10
X body mountain climbers - 10 per side

Rest one minute and repeat 2 more times.

A couple things I have changed. An email from Mikey a few weeks ago talked about some changes he made in form and function of some of these exercises. I have tried to implement some of those things.

On the spiderman climb and the mountain climbers I am going much more slowly. I'm focusing on form and even holding the exercise at the top for a beat, going back to base for a beat, and really making sure my core is engaged. I think it has helped at least my form if nothing else.

On the total body extension I have really been reaching up at the top to engage my core more.

And I keep reminding myself to keep my shoulders together and elbows back on the prisoner exercises.

I've been starting to feel like I'm losing some form on squats. I'm not sure why, and I think I'm doing a good job of keeping my head up and back straight, they just don't feel natural. Maybe they never will.

I also did the optional ladder workout. This was killer after the Big 10 workout.

Burpees 8..1
Split shuffle 8/side..1/side
Total body extensions 8..1

I was wiped out but made it through.

John Wooden
Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Default HWR 12 week final

So I finished up the HWR 12 week program.

Really enjoyed it and thought I would post a couple pictures.

I'm really happy with the fat loss I was able to get during that time. I felt like my diet was pretty good but not great. I'm still working on that.

I don't know how much bf% I lost during that time, but I would guess 5-6%.

My starting weight was 162 lbs and my ending weight was 154 lbs. So I lost 8# in 12 weeks while maintaining my muscle and toning some I think.

Overall I'm really happy.

The photos I attached are not day 1 to day 84. I started taking photos a couple weeks into the process. One day I tried on a pair of jeans I wore in college, and my wife snapped a pic of me in them. It evolved from there. Now I think its a way for me to see progress that I can't see week to week in the mirror.

On the photos, the dates taken are as follows.

On the back photo: On the left was 4-1 and the right was 5-15
On the side view: On the left was 3-9 and the right was 5-15.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back HWR finish 4 tt.jpg (65.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HWR Finish 4 tt.jpg (67.2 KB, 11 views)

John Wooden
Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Well done Jim, great progress. Keep it going.

Stuart.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuj1976 View Post
Well done Jim, great progress. Keep it going.

Stuart.
Thanks Stuart!

I enjoy the interaction here and the accountability. It helps me to push myself. I know that I need this type of place to keep on the straight and narrow.

John Wooden
Old 05-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Day 15: 5-17-13

Some new beginnings today.

Made a few changes.

Breakfast was a protein shake consisting of Biotrust protein, almond milk, cocoa, frozen cherries, spinach, and flaxseed meal.

I have been trying to maintain and increase daily fiber content and lower sugar content. Most of my sugar comes from fruit and vegetables, so I don't get too worried, but I think I'm going to try to be a bit more selective with the fruits I choose for that reason.

Fiber wise, we have added flaxseed meal to our shake and are considering chia seeds as well. Fiber supplements are hard on me (I have a sensitive stomach anyway) so this is truly an experiment. According to Joel Marion and some of his articles, he is a proponent of 30 g of fiber per day, so that has been my goal, and I have not hit it consistently. Well the flax seeds are getting me there and I feel pretty good all in all, so I will keep it up for a bit and see how it goes.

If I don't like the chia seeds, we can use them in cooking, so worth a try I think.

Anyway, the other change I made was since I finished HWR, it was time to start something new.

I chose Mike Whitfields Metabolic Chaos and started that today.

I started with Day 5, just to stay with the week's schedule (you can tell me if I messed it up) and I thought I might be able to use the 2 rest days following it at least getting started.

I'll be honest, I have avoided weights for a long time, so this scares me a bit. I was told to quit lifting in high school after my wrestling injuries, so I will proceed cautiously. Anyway, I'm nowhere near as strong as I was then I guess and not out to prove anything so I should be okay. Avoiding injury is #1 to me. I feel so good after HWR that I want to keep that up.

So this is the day 5 workout I did:

Warmup x 2 30 seconds rest between:
Jumping jacks x 15
Alternating prisoner lunge x 8 per side
T push up x 5 per side
Leg swings x 15 per side

The workout was a 21 minute circuit:

Alternating DB lunge to hammer curl x 10 per side
Burpee/ x body mountain climber combo x 5
Skater hops x 10 per side
1 arm switch push ups x 5 per side
1 arm DB swing x 10 per side
Extended side plank x 20 seconds per side
Bodyweight squats x 15 (prisoner style)
Inchworm to double push up x 5
Total body extension x 15
Mountain Climbers x 5 per side.

I was able to get through this twice and start a 3rd time. I used 20# per DB this time and I think that is a good start. I will see how I feel tomorrow.

I think I will enjoy this though I may have to substitute something else when traveling over the next couple of weeks.

John Wooden
Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Great job Jim! the photos are great compairson to determine progress. You cant go wrong with any of these guys programs. I too was worried about my weight lifting limits and after training for a while now with weights it is not an issue. You will suprise yourself at the amount of weight you can lift, just progress at your own pace and you will be fine.
On a cal intake note, I switched from almond milk to water with my shakes on training days to reduce fat intake and use the milk on non training days when I need less carbs. Anyway, your doing great, just wanted to let you know.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:04 AM

Hey Jim

Sorry I haven't dropped by yet. I've been stalking just not posting. Your doing really well though.

Re hitting the weights just start really light and never let your ego get in the way of your health and safety, stay right away from failure and you'll be fine. Craig, Mike etc know there stuff and design programs that will assist with an imbalances you may have rather than exacerbate them. The other thing is to make sure you always take the time to do a really thorough warm up. You probably know all this stuff anyway but it bears repeating.

Your doing great though. Sound like your nutting you diet out as well which is great. It's all about experimentation and figuring out what works best for you.

Anyways mate, keep up the good work.

Pete