TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Default Dictionary: the Only Place Where Success Comes Before Work- My Transformation Thread

Hello,

For those of you who don't read the new members forum, here's a background on myself.

I am joining the 10th transformation contest in hopes of getting in much better shape. A little about me: I am a full time paramedic (read this as: someone with no chance for a sleep schedule at all, especially not one that grants more than 6 hrs sleep/night!); I work full time in a local county here on the ambulance and I also work part time in a local Emergency Room (that just so happens to be one of the biggest in the State, so also very busy). I work a strange 12-hour day schedule at my full time job and I work nights at my part time job when I have a few back-to-back days off. I'm also going to school to finish up some things to apply to nursing school in the future (searching for a better long term schedule!)

In my free time (ha!) I play with my very very active 3 year old lab-mix named Lance (he'd give Bally the dog a run for his money in the 6-pack ab department ) and I also own a horse that I ride competitively.

I started putting on weight about 4 years ago when I went into this profession full time; before I worked so far away, I was able to ride my horse every day and I was also eating as a vegetarian for some food allergy reasons. Take those two things away, and I have added 40 pounds to my normal 110 to 115 -pound figure. So, I'm looking to lose around 40 pounds; but more importantly I want to feel better! I have no energy, I'm constantly tired, and I have a hard time carrying patients around (which is a big part of my job).

I have tried other workouts, specifically those created by a personal trainer and by the program I get for free at my gym; these were cardio intensive and led me to some plantar fasciitis problems. I've also had some problems from a horseback riding injury from 8 years ago, so I'm hoping to strengthen my core and alleviate some of the hip pain I experience on a regular basis. I'm sooo ready to say no to long boring cardio!

Here's to a healthier me!! I started my workouts (beginner just to be safe) and took my before photos yesterday. I'm looking forward to what lies ahead!

Starting Stats:
Height: 5'4"
weight:149.7 lbs
Bust: 40 inches
Ribcage: 33 inches
Waist (navel): 34 inches
Waist (widest): 36 inches
Hips: 41 inches
Right Thigh: 26 inches
Left Thigh: 25.5 inches
Right Arm: 12 inches
Left Arm: 12 inches

Workouts: I am starting out with TT for beginners, will follow that with the Intermediate workout, but I am debating whether or not I want to do the original TT advanced last or do another workout.

Challenges: I will be on vacation out of the country for a week during week 10 of this contest for me. (So, for at least that week, I will probably need to do the TT hotel room workouts or bodyweight cardio workouts).... I'm also looking at this as a positive too, because I will have a great body to show off by then!!

My day to day schedule is very challenging as far as eating as scheduled goes. We often get calls that keep us out of the building for 4 hours at a time. The plan is to try to pick snacks that don't need to be refridgerated that I can carry in the medic unit with me. Also trying to keep my meals simple so that they take minimal time to prep/eat for the same reasoning.

Diet: Following whole, natural, unprocessed one ingredient foods diet; lots of vegetables and fruits on top of what I normally eat. It'll be hard to give up the fast food that I am so used to on our busy days with no food for hours on end, but I'm committed.

My Fitday food log: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...?Owner=bvfr333

I think that about covers it for now. Sorry for the long post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Looking forward to your success! And so is your dog!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Craig, What do you suggest I do as my final 4- week workout? I started with the beginner workout this week (I'm fearful of an overuse injury like I experienced last time, as I tend to really push myself and not know my current physical limitations very well) .... I plan on following this with the intermediate exercise as recommended.

Would you recommend the original advanced TT workout for a finish, or one targeted to women specifically (Buff dudes, hot chicks; bodysculpting for women; booty for wife)?

Also, to maximize results, would you recommend doing cardio intervals for 2 of my off days or doing bodyweight exercises?

Thanks Craig!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Administrator

I like to take things 4 weeks at a time...so we'll decide about that final program after the Intermediate.

Do the main 3 workouts and one extra workout, not two.

How do you plan on doing intervals?

If running, than do bodyweight exercises on your off day...so we avoid any risk of plantar fasciitis.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 PM

Hi again Craig,

Thanks for the great advice so far!!

As far as intervals go, I planned on doing my 30 seconds 7/10 with 90 seconds 3/10 running and doing the 60 seconds 7/10 with 60 seconds 3/10 on the stationary bike, just to play it safe. I'm assuming it's okay to switch it up like that, or do I need to pick one and stick with it?

Makes sense to do the bodyweight on the off day, hadn't really thought about it like that.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Your plan is excellent!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 AM

Let me just start out by saying that my "break" from work hasn't been very easy on me, esp with my boyfriend visiting for 4/5 of my days off. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but he always wants to go out and eat, doesn't want me to go to the gym when he's there (okay, I can't turn down a full body massage offered in lieu of a gym trip...)

I did have a discussion with him today, and I'm hoping he will come around to pitching in for groceries so we don't go out to eat whenever he's around. As far as the gym thing, I did go the other night after he went to bed, but tonight I am working 11p-7a (I'm at work right now, actually); I could stop by the gym on my way home but I am completely exhausted and there are 2 hrs left in my shift yet, and the last thing I want to do is hurt myself trying to exercise while I'm totally beat, plus technically that's day 13 anyway? IDK....

So, this week being at work Tuesday through Monday should make my eating a bit easier (as my meals are planned and cooked already, thankfully I did get that done today) and I will have more time to go to the gym as my boyfriend won't be around. He's says he's supportive but he doesn't want me to leave long enough to work out; he also doesn't want to pay for a membership to my gym because he's not around all the time to use it....anyway

Day 12

Got up, did some meal preps and spent some time with my boyfriend. We were on the way to see my horse for me to ride when I got a call from a friend wanting to do lunch and a movie and I've been trying to get up with this friend for a while now, so we changed plans and went to eat with them and then went to see the movie RED. (Great movie) By the time it was all said and done, I didn't get to ride my horse, just went out and loved on her a little bit (I'm sure she didn't mind haha)

I didn't really eat dinner before work because I wasn't hungry after lunch out.

So, tomorrow I'm going to try to pry my boyfriend off me long enough to go to the gym (haha, I really do say this in the most loving way possible, it's hard for me too). I've already done most of my meal prep for the week. I'm planning on going out to ride my horse as well (and I really don't want to miss tomorrow, since I won't get to go see her all week because of work!)

Hope everyone is doing well, sorry for my cruddy journaling here last few posts (Lack of actual nutritional or workout info... haha)

I'm trying to keep my fitday.com updated, if any of you are interested in that. I do believe I posted the link in one of my first posts.

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

My TTTC 10 Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9998
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 AM

If the boyfriend won't let you to the gym, why don't you do BW workout at home? There is plenty of options there. Some BW circuit can be brutal even when they don't include any equipment
Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM

hi!
Seems to me like you are doing great so far! I'm especially impressed with how you manage to get in your workouts on such a difficult schedule and how you constantly say no to unhealthy foods that are offered you or very close to you... and good on you for "getting back on the horse

Another benefit from fasting is that you learn to control your body, so it helps you to keep make good choices when you are not fasting, and apparantly fasting increases fat burning during the fast. According to a teleseminar with brad pilon it works kind of like this:

The body is good at storing fat because it needs the fat as a back up fuel for when it does not get food (think hunterers and gatherers.) So.. when you fast, after a certain amount of hours (don't remember how many) your body thinks, hey! I haven't received any new energy yet, I better use the energy I have stored up! And then it starts getting energy/fuel from your stored fatcells. you burn more and more fat until around 18 hours when this fatburning is at it's peak, and then it slows down a little again (I assume this is because then it worries it needs to save some in case it is too long until it gets more..) So even if your caloric deficit is not that great you will help your body burn off your excess fat! Doesn't that sound great? And I have to say, it does sound like it makes sense to me! So that's an extra motivation for me at least

I would advice you to read brad pilons blog, and there is also an ESE thread somewhere on the forum where brad has written quite a few posts and answered questions himself

also glad you liked the mango I love mango! But often they're too soft or too hard.. :-/ Have you tried any new fruits or veggies since?

aaand I totally get what you wrote about being trained to find faults/what's wrong and how that is transfered into how you look at your own fitness journal etc. When dancing all we did was look for faults, it's a pattern that's hard to break out of!

Hope you feel better from the cold soon!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 PM

The book just explains the logic behind the fasting...what benefits it has not just on fat loss but also other benefits to the body...a good read, but as someone else pointed out, Brad Pilon's ESE blog has a lot of that info in it, too. The book is an easy read, but reading it is not essential to "correctly" doing the fast. In the fat loss forum (or maybe the nutrition forum -- can't remember which) you can find many old threads on ESE that will probably answer a lot of questions.