TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM

I've done really well in the past by following Precision Nutrition - eat every 2-4 hours, eat lean protein, good fats and vegetables/fruits with every meal, starchy carbs only after a workout. I don't do well mentally on low carb, but I'm fine as long as I eat fruit and make sure I do eat starchy carbs after workouts.

I've also done fairly well following ESE 1-2 days/week, and eating a little more with more treats.

This time, I'm going to try mixing that up - keeping my food fairly clean, but making sure I eat enough to keep my energy up, and fasting to get more of a calorie deficit.

Current TT Log

Blog: Habits of Contradiction

"Feeling stressed simply means I need a better balance between stress and relaxation." - Tom Venuto, The Body Fat Solution
Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Can any of you share an exact example of what you would eat in a day? I would like to see what it actually looks like? Is 1200 cal a day too low or is that about right? I am at 128 lbs right now and want to get down to 110 by the end of this contest. The scale has not budged yet and I am getting pretty frustrated.

I do eat really clean and about every 3 hours. Lots of veggies, lean protein, nuts, fruit, etc. Have been trying to keep the starchy carbs out of the diet for the most part. Today I am feeling very down and emotional and am wondering if it is the lack of carbs with the hard workouts?

Any advice or thoughts?

"It's never too late to become what you might have been." -George Elliot
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM

You might be a bit too low on calories... I would suggest 1500 per day and stick with stuff that makes you feel full.

Here is a sample of how I would eat during a TT TC:

Breakfast- 2 boiled eggs, 100g sweet corn (canned, but without added sugar), 1 tomato, 1/2 bell pepper, 1 slice toasted whole wheat bread (check for added sugar!), 3-4 spears asparagus- 290 calories

Lunch- 150g grilled chicken breast, 200g boiled potatoes about 300 calories
15:00 snack- 30g almonds/hazelnuts- 200 calories
Post-wkt shake: 250ml 0.1% fat milk, 2 bananas- 280 calories
Dinner- Ion's super salad: tomatoes, sweet corn, 2 small tbsp extra virgin olive oil (10g-90cal), 1 boiled egg, cabbage, bell pepper, onion- about 300 calories
22:00 snack- 100g pineapple&mango
Total of 1500-1600 calories.
Disclaimer: while I got along fine with corn&dairy, some people might not, so better drop them if you experience any discomfort or if you weight loss rate slows down.
It could've been me, it could've been me..."
Meat Loaf- A kiss is a terrible thing to waste
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM

What seems to be working for me, well atleast this week, is that I have chosen really yummy, healthy, foods that I enjoy and am eating the same thing every day. 5 meals with lots of fruit (mango being just the best fruit in the whole world), dairy, salmon and oats (and a few other bits too).

My calories will be in deficit for day 1, 2 and 3, then I will increase it on day 4. Day 5, 6,7 will be deficit. Day 8 I will up the calories etc etc.

My weigh-in is tuesday, so i will see what the scales say and take it from there. But I can honestly say that I have only been (slightly) hungry just the once, which is always a bonus!!

I have tried ESE but it wasnt for me.

Interesting thread.

x x x
Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default You are awesome!

This is a great thread. I'm going to make it a sticky. Looking forward to more people posting here. Thank you everyone!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM

I've found that measuring most of what I eat to be most helpful. I also use an iPhone app to track what I eat during the day. THis gives me a running total of calories as well as macronutrient ratios. I've been trying to target 45% carb, 40% protein and 15% fat with varying degrees of success. I find myself settling into a fairly fixed pattern of foods during the day with more variety in the evening meal. I try to eat 5 times/day. For example:

breakfast: 1 cup Greek Yogurt, 20g Chia seeds (great source of omega-3 as well as fiber)
morning snack: 2 hard-boiled egg whites, apple
lunch: can of wild salmon mixed with chopped pepper/celery and 20g chia seeds (prepared the night before with multiple spices and maybe one Tbsp light mayonnaise), 1 cup light yogurt
afternoon snack: 2 hard-boiled egg whites, apple

This tends to be typical through the week. I will have a chicken/turkey sandwich for lunch instead of the fish on roughly an alternating day schedule.
Dinner might be something like:

dinner: salad (balsamic vinegar dressing), 1 cup whole wheat spaghetti, chicken meatballs, tomato sauce and 1 can tuna mixed in

My protein sources tend to be egg whites, yogurt, fish and chicken. I don't often use protein powder (though I made a great recipe for waffles which includes Greek yogurt and vanilla protein powder).

On and incidental note, in "The Economist" of all places I came across a short article reporting on the effects on weight loss of drinking water prior to eating. Apparently, even when consuming the same number of calories, the group which drank 500ml water prior to meals lost more weight over a 12 week period than the group which didn't drink the water. In addition, the water drinkers continued the habit after the study and continued to lose some weight (rather than gaining it back). Link to the economist article:
http://www.economist.com/node/168862...ry_id=16886246

Report on the same thing at WebMD:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100...in-weight-loss

Link to preliminary article published 2009:
Elizabeth A. Dennis, Ana Laura Dengo, Dana L. Comber, Kyle D. Flack, Jyoti Savla, Kevin P. Davy and Brenda M. Davy. Water Consumption Increases Weight Loss During a Hypocaloric Diet Intervention in Middle-aged and Older Adults. Obesity, 6 August 2009
http://www.ipwr.org/documents/WaterW...esity.2009.pdf

I know that many of trainers push drinking lots of water. There may be something to it after all. Although nobody seems to know why. . .

Art
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 PM

I've lost just over 70 pounds in a little under 11 months eating the following:

• Lean proteins - meats such as chicken and turkey breast; pork, beef, and lamb tenderloin; fish and shellfish of all varieties; dairy such as Greek yogurt, eggs and egg whites, cottage cheese, milk, feta cheese, string cheese, part-skim riccotta, whey protein, etc.

• All vegetables, except for those of a starchy variety (such as peas, potatoes, etc.)

• All fruits

• All nuts and seeds

• Healthy oils, such as olive, walnut, etc.

Here's what I don't eat (in addition to the starchy vegetables mentioned above):

• Grains of any type

• Sugar of any type

I drink water almost exclusively, though I will also drink tea and coffee.

I also take a multivitamin, fish oil, and a calcium supplement daily.

I also firmly believe that no nutritional plan is one size fits all. Though I am extremely sensitive to sugar and grains, which have addictive qualities for me, others may not be bothered by them at all.

One thing I do believe holds true for everyone, however, is that your body will run better when you eat whole, real, unprocessed foods. As my doctor has said, "If it didn't grow in the ground, and it didn't have a mother, you probably shouldn't be eating it." Words to, literally, live by.

Calorie-wise, I'm currently eating 1200 calories on non-TT days, and 1500 on training days. So far this seems to be working well for me, but I'm open to adjusting my levels over time, as it becomes necessary. Again, this is my experience only. As they say, "your mileage may vary."
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchocolate View Post
Hey guys

As tomorrow nears (well for me UK time) I am just wondering what nutrition strategies people have found the best in previous contests or are planning to use this time?

Basic clean eating
No/low carb
ESE
What is your preference?

Thanks
A largely vegetarian diet (which include dairy and eggs) and ESE twice a week. I tried to eat whole foods (not processed and minimal cooking, e.g. no sauces) especially my fruits and vegetables. At each meal or snack I made sure there was at least one serving of fruits and vegetables.
Minimal liquid calories - no soda pop, no juices, limit alcohol (hard to me when traveling or socializing), limited milk
So breakfast - high fibre cereal, berries and a grapefruit
Snack - cottage cheese and an apple
Lunch - Big bowl salad
Snack - nuts and dried fruit
Supper - Varied based upon my wife but vegetable based often with chopped up raw veggies.
Usually no evening snack.

Helps me to win third place in category in the last contest.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addieua View Post
ESE is the one for me.
I like it because it is simple and prevents me from becoming obsessive compulsive with food. However, I do still limit my eating to healthy foods and limit my snacks.
Drinking copious amount of water is also in my nutrition plan although that might be because of +100 degree temperatures that won't be gone till mid-October.
I hate being hungry all the time. For me, not eating for 24 hours is a piece of cake and makes me feel in control of my body
This pretty much describes my approach. I played games with 'healthy eating' for the first part of TT #8 but my cravings were still getting the best of me. So half way through, I started ESE twice a week. I LOVED it. I then made sure to eat eggs, nuts, fruits, veggies every day and from there the weight started to come off. And I was in control! I will be doing ESE 2x a week - most weeks - for TT#9.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 AM

I think this is seriously the best thread so far. I have learned sooooooo much from all of you. I guess I can eat more things than I thought I could after looking at some of your examples. This will make my life so much easier (and more enjoyable.) =)

One thing I am learning that is definitely true on this program; If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. As a newbie to these contests, I am finding that I have to plan everything. From preparing all my meals for the week and measuring out everything, to pre-packing my gym bag the night before.

Thank you to all of you for your great advice and insights. You are a wealth of knowledge!

"It's never too late to become what you might have been." -George Elliot