TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 12:35 AM

Default Jami's 10th Transformation Thread

OK, Day 1. Whew! Glad it is almost over. It has been a very crazy stressful day and I now know I need to be more prepared so I can have more flexibility. I hit the ground running at 6 this morning so I could race to town, get my newspaper, finish up some grocery shopping (especially needed after purging all the Christmas goodies and things we didn't want to eat). I had family leaving town who stopped by for lunch. The house was trashed from all the little cousins playing and tearing down all the Christmas decorations.

However, I got my day one pictures taken, and a reasonable diet recorded on Fitday (although I'm pretty sure I want the calories up around 1500-1800). I haven't gotten my workout in yet and well, it ain't happening today. More company....However, tomorrow my sister is helping me get a workout in, so no worries, although I'm disappointed I didn't plan better. I'm planning to do the 12 week Booty for Wife. The name cracks me up and with it all laid out for the 12 weeks, it seems like one less thing to worry about. The before picture weren't as bad as I had feared, but certainly show plenty of room for lots of improvement.

Before Pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/RJHowell.HCC

FitDay Profile
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=howell27

Measurements
5'8"
Current Weight 146
Chest: 33 in
waist: 29 at smallest part
waist at belly button: 33
hips: 39.5
thighs: 23
bicep: 11

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it --Margaret Thatcher

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM

More starting Stats
According to the Diet Calculator

Diet Calculator

Body Mass Index: 22.2 kg/m2
Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.43
Percent Body Fat: 26.3%
Lean Body Mass: 107.7 lb

Just trying to store all this info in one place!

The link to my FitDay Journal: http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=howell27
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the contest! You are definitely not 26% body fat...maybe 20-22%.

Regardless, looking forward to your success!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Default Good Luck!

Sounds like you had a chaotic start to the contest!

Good luck with your weight loss journey. How much do you want to lose?

G
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Goals: I wanted to do this contest for a couple reasons and felt it would be the best way to hold myself accountable. (I'm loving it so far and really appreciate what a nice community this forum has...I haven't seen a single flamer or mean comment. So nice!)

First, I want to set a better example for my two kids. It is hard enough without having mom and dad setting poor eating and exercising habits. I watch how my husbands mom eats (horrible--pop for breakfast, lots of sugar and fat, only boxed meals, nothing homemade and no vegetables) and see how that has influenced his eating as well, especially when he's away from home and stressed.

Second, I want to feel better, have more energy, look better! I've found myself not wanting to go places because I was embarrassed by how I looked, and I was tired all the time. Sugar seems to make me tired, cranky, and depressed if not kept at pretty low levels. I'm no fun for my kids to be around when I'm like that either. I've been working hard on cleaning up my diet for the last month and could really tell it was making a difference on my mood, energy and attitude. Keeping track also helped show me just how important it was.

So my goals:

1. Complete the Booty for Wife 12 week program --3 workouts every week, 3 sets of interval training , with at least one active play date with the kids. Active play to include riding horses with my daughter, ice skating, sledding, and my version of follow the leader.

2. Complete the Transformation Contest which would be a first for me. I've never been a regular exercise person like my sisters, just usually my daily life was active enough to keep the weight off...which worked until I had my second child and that darn baby weight refused to go!

3. Be able to do 25 real push ups (I can do three now), and do 2 unassisted pull ups.

4. Eat a higher protein diet (around 1800 cal, unless I need to add more) Add at least two servings of vegetables to lunch and dinner, and add more fruit to every meal. I'm looking to find something I can live with and not just something that gets me through the next 12 weeks.

5. This last one is giving me some trouble...I think I want to lose around 11-15 lbs that would put me at 130-135 which has always been my lowest weight after a summer of working with my dad when I was in my early twenties (I grew up on a ranch). However, getting back into my old size 5 jeans would make me pretty darn happy which is about 2 sizes to lose. I'm willing to accept either as a completion of this goal! : )

I think that is enough for now! I have some personal goals of getting more organized since I'm finding it is easier to exercise when the house is cleaned and dinner is planned. I live too far from town for a gym so I have to make my house a place where I want to work out. It's not perfect yet, and I'm trying to add new habits each week to help me with that. Making my bed and putting out my clothes, along with my exercise clothes for the next day was the first one and it made a huge difference. This is just going to be a big journey for me and I'm looking forward to the ride...and enjoying reading on the forums about everyone else's journeys too!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianM View Post
Sounds like you had a chaotic start to the contest!

Good luck with your weight loss journey. How much do you want to lose?

G
Thanks GillianM...my life is pretty chaotic most days. I have 2 little kids, watch my sisters two kids three days a week (ages ranging from 5 to 2) and sometimes adding my brothers little boy to the mix, do the bookkeeping for two small businesses on the side and help my dad (family ranch) when I can. I'm hoping to get down to 130-135. That was always a weight that I seemed to be happiest at when I was younger. Since my last baby I've been stuck around 150 and I HATED it! Two years at that weight and I finally reached my breaking point this fall when I found myself turning down some invites because I was embarrassed by how I looked. I started trying to make some small changes that were helping and finally found TT. Now I'm looking forward to some more changes!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell27 View Post
I found myself turning down some invites because I was embarrassed by how I looked.
This rings sooo true. I was dreading this deployment because our PT uniforms consist of short shorts :-( ick... and I pretty much holed up in my room while I've been gone so I didn't have to go out wearing those darned shorts.

Best of luck to us both! and seriously congrats on seeing your patterns, thats a super hard thing to do sometimes... it seems we can be really good at turning a blind eye to why we've become what we are and wonder how this happened.

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Steve Prefontaine

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
- Beverly Sills

Avatar Picture is Jamie Eason. A very amazing woman in the fitness industry. Want to look like her!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM

Day 5

Got in my second workout and feeling pretty good. I can see that I'm going to need some heavier weights since 15 lbs is my heaviest and that seemed to light for the DB press. Otherwise, I felt I got a pretty good workout. I used my elliptical for the intervals and think I got it pretty close to the manual listed intensity levels. Next week I'm planning to switch it up and use my jump rope, and maybe some body weight cardio.

The diet has been pretty easy this week, keeping track on fitday has really helped and having a slower couple of days to kinda figure things out didn't hurt either. I'm finding it's so hard to put together a meal plan when I just don't know the calories in stuff. I'm learning, but it's still hard! Plus if I misjudge and don't buy enough fresh vegetables or my kids suddenly decide to eat more than normal, I'm scrambling to find a substitute. I generally grocery shop once every two weeks, maybe once a week. I generally don't like meal plans offered online because they are very expensive to make (out of season fruits and vegetables, lots of expensive cuts of meat and lots of meal prep) and don't fit with kids--so you have to make two separate meals, one for you and one for the kids. We get half a beef every year, so most of my meals have beef in them as it's the cheapest option for me, and it takes us all year to eat it up to get the freezer empty for the next one. Although this week I cooked a turkey and since my husband is out of town, have been trying to eat up mostly by myself! I also have a bad habit of cleaning up my kids plates when they are done. I don't need those calories, so new habit...just throw those last bits in the garbage or to the cats! Anyway, that's what I'm working with and I'm hoping meal planning will get easier as I get more experience!

I'm a little more tired today and having some issues sleeping which will make a long day today. I've noticed the last two days a tendency to want to sit around more, so this morning I'm outlining a plan of what I need to get down and will see if that helps. A clean house makes it easier to workout so I'm adding small habits to help keep it cleaner. Now I just have to carve out some time to get caught back up on bookkeeping as that will be my next big stressor until mid February when I have to turn in all the books to the accountant.

Me 'n the kids are planning a pretty quiet night with movies and popcorn for the New Year...Hope everyone has a fun night, and best wishes for everyone in the New Year!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi Jami!!

Looks like you're off to a good start Big thumbs up for identifying where your weaknesses lie and taking steps to mitigate them! That's awesome

Good luck in the days to come; I know the tired feeling all too well.. but you'll be ok Tomorrow's another day!

Rachel
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Day 7 and snowed in

Woohoo! One week almost down and 11 to go! I'm feeling pretty good and really proud I'm sticking with it. Usually I've cheated and quit by now. I'm really surprised at how much logging my food and using the forums is helping. I know I shouldn't, but I can't believe what a difference it is making. I've lost 4.5 pounds although 4 of that was most likely water since I dropped that in the first couple days. My calories are ranging around 1600 average although I may need to up that number a bit, I'll evaluate at the end of next week. I'm really hungry all the time, but maybe I just need time to adjust.

I also got in all my workouts and interval training for the week. Not to mention got all the carpets cleaned in the house, moving all the furniture, hauled firewood, shoveled snow and played tag, keep away and follow the leader with the kids. (more work than you'd think...those little monsters have way too much energy!) I really struggled on my 2 workout, but I was working out first thing in the morning before I ate. Will see if eating a bit before helps any. I have a short break in the morning before everyone gets up so I'm racing to get my workout in. So far, it is the best time. I also have a chance in the afternoon when my sister and I swap kids, but that wouldn't have worked this week with all the snow.

Other things that are helping keep me on track...I posted a calendar on my fridge with the 84 days listed and at the end of each day, check one off. Small thing, but it seems to help. I've got the pictures posted too of my goal look, and those pants I really want to get back into are laying out where I can see them in my room. All the Christmas junk food is gone. I've been tackling all my old excuses for not working out. Laying out clothes/workout clothes at night so in the morning, I just get dressed to workout. Getting up a little earlier so I can workout before the kids get up, keeping the house cleaner so I'm don't feel like that is more important and creating a list of the things I need to get done that day so I'm less stressed at night. I've got a ways to go, but I'm getting better! Meal planning is really tough for me, but I'm finding if I just create a pretty rough draft then fill it in on FitDay, that gets me through my "It's not perfect so it won't work" feeling. I've never ever tracked my nutrition so just have no idea how much food constitutes 1600 calories in a day. With a week under my belt, I'm getting a better idea and it's really helping keep me from obsessing.

I found a wonderful recipe too for cauliflower if anyone is interested:

1/2 head of cauliflower--chopped up in the food processor until about the size of rice grains
1 T olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 C chopped green onion--although I just used 2 T of dried chopped onion

I fried this all up in a pan, added 1-2 tsp of curry. It was so good, didn't taste like cauliflower at all. I also added a cup of chopped turkey, then had to make a batch for my kids 'cause they loved it too. Last night I made another batch but didn't have quite enough cauliflower for everyone so I added a cup of cabbage chopped up the same way. So good! Will keep this on my weekly menu! I'm going to experiment with different meat, probably good without too.

Anyway, I got all my workouts, interval trainings in, very proud of that and plan to add a weekly reward each time I get through the week 90% as planned. No food rewards but things I just really want. This week, I'm planning to buy a food scale to help with getting the calorie count on all my recipes. I love to cook so this was a good motivation! I even had to make cookies on Friday for my brother-in-law since he got the horse water chopped open and thawed out. I just kept thinking about that scale and didn't eat one!

Now my next concern is getting to town eventually for groceries. We've been snowed in since Friday night. Hopefully by Monday the wind will die down and the snow let up long enough to make a trip. I have a few bags of frozen vegetables but not enough for more than a couple days. Will plan to stock up a bit better for these kinds of situations!

Hope everyone had a great New Years! Looking forward to week 2!