TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 8th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Started, was struggling, now staying strong!

Hi Guys

Well I took my before photos on 24 May, and they were not a pretty sight!

I will post my weight and measurements, but no idea how to do the body fat. Feel a bit embarrassed asking someone to do it at the gym. I would like to lose around 16lbs possibly more, (around 20) but if I put more it seems impossible!

Originally I was going to do the 5 week contest, but as the 5 weeks have gone way to quick I am now heading for the 12 week one.

So officicially I started on 24 May with the TT intermediate program, my first week went really well, am now doing the TT original program.

I love the workouts but cannot for the life of me do chinups! Not sure if it's my technique or lack of strength, but I look so stupid trying in the gym that I give up because I feel too self conscious.

Well my first week went well, training really well and eating well. My training is still going well but the eating has slipped somewhat. Our main problem is we seem are always going round to friends for dinner, often not planned so I am a little stuck when that happens.

Has anyone any advise for coping with social eating and drinking? Exercise is not a problem, I love working out and get a real buzz, my problem is eating! Especially when something comes along I have not prepared for.

Last 2 days I have got my act together and even passed up on an invite (in fact 3 people asked me the same lunch) to lunch today and am going to the gym when I finish work.

I suppose I am looking for any hint & tips to keep me motiviated on the eating side of things and how other people cope.

Your posts are inspirational and I need to keep reading them, you guys are doing so well, btu I feel like a failure compared to you guys. Sort of feel like a bit of a fraud along side you lot. You are all so committed and doing so well.

Cheers Galaxy

Last edited by galaxy : 06-22-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: change title
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Hi Galaxy!

Chin ups are pretty hard for everyone to start with -so do not worry about that. One thing you can do is get help getting to the top (chair ect.) then lower slowly for a count of 5. This will help build strength to do real ones! There are also alternatives to chin-ups - look for the video that goes with the Original TT Workout- the link is near the title.

The key to overcoming un-planed meals is to plan ahead and then stick with your plan- no matter what everyone around you is eating. I reciently failed at doing this and am paying a price for it.

There is a link to a web page that guides you in measuring body fat in the fat loss section of this site.

Sounds like you are doing great with your workouts!!! Keep up the good work

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride- and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high- but so are the rewards." ~ PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

My Fitday Journal
Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM

Galaxy,

I concur with Melody on planning ahead. Always have a backup plan. Keep the stuff to make a shake and some nuts in your car or with you at all times. That way you always have your plan to fall back on. Everyone here has started off in the same place. "Not working out like they should and not eating the right foods". We all had to take steps in the right direction to get where we are today and to continue in the right direction. With all of that said this has got to be a Total Life Style change for you if you want it to work. Many people have lost the fat that they wanted to loose, and go right back to it after they finish their program. This is because they only lived that way while on the program. They needed to reprogram there lives, not try to fit their live into a program. That's how I see it.

I also struggle with social drinking on the weekends, so I have to plan ahead for that. I also have to make a decision weather or not I want the best results possible or I just want to loose some weight. Because I can loose some weight and still drink a little bit on the weekends, but if I want the best body that I can have i have got to cut out all of the drinking and liquid calories.

I wish you the best, and everyone here will be a great help to you.
Hope to see more of your posts,

Matty G.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi Galaxy,

Great advice from Melody and Matty. The other thing to remember is that beating yourself up over a bad decision isn't going to get you anywhere; instead, go back to your goals and remind yourself what you're trying to do in the short term. Perhaps set a short-term doable goal relating directly to the next time you are out in a social situation involving food and drink. The key is to make it doable. As Matty says, you ultimately trying to change your way of life. If you are serious about making a life change, it has to be done in baby steps. Social eating can be difficult to manage, but it can be done. And you can't just skip the social events to avoid the eating since that's probably not the life you want - and you risk the whole thing failing simply because it just doesn't fit with the social life you'd like to have. Goal setting is a good way to start and perhaps the other thing to do is to get social support among the friends that you like to go out with.

Be sure to let us know how you're coming along.

Heather
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Default thanks`

Hi Guys

thanks so much for your replies and support. I was beginning to wonder if I was on my own and came across as moaning!

Yesterday was a really good day with my workouts and eating and I am feeling more positive. I will take on board all your advice and comments, they are so true. I have managed to lose the weight in the past just by eating sensiby, but never working out as efficiently as I am with TT. Problem is I have not maintained it, I have just gone back to my old bad habits which put the weight on in the first place.

I think that's where the lack of confidence comes from, because I know I can lose the weight, but not keep it off. This time will be different, like you say baby steps and keep giving myself goals. I still might go for the 5 week contest as I didn't start too late to enter it, I don't so anyway, will have to check the dates. I took my before pictures on 24 May, think the cut off date was after that.

I am also aware that whatever I do has to fit in with my lifestyle as there will always be social events that I can't and don't want to avoid, like you guys say I need strategies to handle them.

With regards to the chin ups, there is an assisted weight pull machine in the gym, does anyone think that would help? I have never used it. But my upper body strength is quite good, I have always done full press ups and can easily push out 15, which is why I am frustrated with not being able to at least one chin up!!

Thanks again so much everyone, I will keep reading and posting.

Hal1, I think we are at similar points with our workouts too, I am on the 3rd week the Orignialy TT, last week next week and will then go onto the next in the manual. After that I want to do one of the other ones, quite fancy Fit Yummy Mummy.

Thanks everyone, your'e great inspiration, Cheers G
Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Hi Galaxy,

You got some great advice already but I just wanted to chime in about the chin-ups. I can't do them on my own yet so I do use the machine. It really has helped me because I was such a cardio junkie and never did any resistance training. I literally had no upper body strength when I started with TT..but oh that has changed! Using the machine really helps get those muscles working

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
Hi Guys

thanks so much for your replies and support. I was beginning to wonder if I was on my own and came across as moaning!

Yesterday was a really good day with my workouts and eating and I am feeling more positive. I will take on board all your advice and comments, they are so true. I have managed to lose the weight in the past just by eating sensiby, but never working out as efficiently as I am with TT. Problem is I have not maintained it, I have just gone back to my old bad habits which put the weight on in the first place.

I think that's where the lack of confidence comes from, because I know I can lose the weight, but not keep it off. This time will be different, like you say baby steps and keep giving myself goals. I still might go for the 5 week contest as I didn't start too late to enter it, I don't so anyway, will have to check the dates. I took my before pictures on 24 May, think the cut off date was after that.

I am also aware that whatever I do has to fit in with my lifestyle as there will always be social events that I can't and don't want to avoid, like you guys say I need strategies to handle them.

With regards to the chin ups, there is an assisted weight pull machine in the gym, does anyone think that would help? I have never used it. But my upper body strength is quite good, I have always done full press ups and can easily push out 15, which is why I am frustrated with not being able to at least one chin up!!

Thanks again so much everyone, I will keep reading and posting.

Hal1, I think we are at similar points with our workouts too, I am on the 3rd week the Orignialy TT, last week next week and will then go onto the next in the manual. After that I want to do one of the other ones, quite fancy Fit Yummy Mummy.

Thanks everyone, your'e great inspiration, Cheers G
Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Default Stats for Galaxy

Thanks Coastalveg, I will definitley give the chin up machine a go at the gym. I am hoping to go tomorrow as it will be Sunday here in NZ, it should be quiet - so I can grab one of the assistants and get them to show me how it works.

I also braved it at the gym and had my body fat done with the calipers!!

I am not sure the instructor was that good at doing it as she didn't seem to grab much skin/fat and there is quite a bit to grab! But I guess if I use the same girl next time she will do the same and it will show a difference. Also she only measured, tricep, bicep, scapular and just above my hip. It came out at 33.5% which I thought was pretty high. But she checked on the chart for my age which is 45 and she said that was within the healthy range?! Seemed high to me.

So here are my stats taken on 24 May.

Weight 1371b

Waist - 34"
(only did the waist measurement above belly button, not below)

Hips - 40"

Chest - 37

Right Thigh 24
Left Thigh 24.5

Right leg just Above knee 17.5
Left leg just above knee 18.25

I forgot to measure my arms and didn't measure below my belly button. So am not sure if I should do them now, just to see if there is a difference at the end of the 12 weeks. I might do that for the my sake but just use the above measurements for the contest.

Stats taken on 19 June

Bodyfat 33.5%
waist 3" below belly button is 39"

will get hubby to measure arms tomorrow, my little lad was struggling and its hard to do it on your own. Any idea which part of my upper arm I measure?

Does anyone know what a 45 yr old womans body fat % should be? or where I can find a reliable chart? I aim to get it between 25 - 28%.

Well I have finally posted my measurements, weight, and body fat, it's there in black and white so now everyone can see and I have something to aim for!! To make them lower.

Thanks again for everyone's support, I have had another good day with food, and a great workout yesterday. I will posting and reading everyone's posts as as much as I can it really does help.

Hope everyone had a good day or going to have on in your part of the world!

Cheers for now

Galaxy

Last edited by galaxy : 06-19-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Default shaky in the gym

Hi everyone

well went to the gym today but made the mistake of not having anything to eat before I went. Before I started eating properly this would not have mattered as I probably had so much left in me from the night before that there was stil plenty of fuel left. Since I have been eating clean I have noticed that if I don't eat before I workout I start to get dizzy and feel sick and shaky.

Unfortunately this happened this morning, while I was doing reverse lunges. I managed to finish work A from original TT but probably took a few extra mins to recover then went onto the interval training. Again I started to feel sick and dizzy so I only managed 4 intervals instead of 6.

I guess the lesson learned here for me, I is I need to have something inside me before I train. I know this won't be the case for everyone and it never used to be for me, but I am training harder now and eating better so don't have an excess of calories.

It took me a while to feel OK once I returned home.

Just had poached egg & 1 slice rye bread, and a 25 g almonds. Feel much better.

Will remember next time not workout on an empty stomach!

Hope you all have a good day.

Cheers

ps had a movie night with my little man last night and managed to resist all the goodies he was eating, ie popcorn,sweeties. And cut an orange up and ate that instead.

cheers for now Galaxy
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 AM

Great job on choosing the orange. Every time you do that the mental muscle that makes those choices will become stronger. Over time, healthy choices will simply become a part of who you are, like your favorite colors or music. By the way, I think the pull up machine is a wonderful tool for those of us who don't have an unassisted pull up... yet!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Default am I eating enough calories

Hi guys

Well had to hit the gym at 6am this morning, that's hard as I don't like getting up that early and its always heaving in the gym which I don't like. but it was the only time I could go as hubby working late shift and I have 2 children, so they need looking after.

Anyhow workout good this morning:

I did workout B from the Original TT, this is my last week of this routine then I move onto the next one in the TT fat loss manual. (will have to check now which one that is!) I have increased my weights over the last 4 weeks, and am feeling good.

I have also completed fitday for the last 3 days and I am only eating 1200 calories. I wonder if that is enough? Maybe thats why I felt wobbly in the gym on Sunday?

My starting weight was 137lb, I plan to get weighed tomorrow morning to see where I am at now. If I use Dr Chris Mohrs calculation, I should be eating 1500 for a woman at that weight.

I am not starving hungry and am eating well. But maybe I should add something else?

Should I post my diet for the last 2 days?

I don't want to eat too low now and jeopordise any weight loss later on. What do you guys think? Or do I need to ask Craig

Cheers everyone, hope you all are going well. I will take a look at some of your posts now.

see ya

Galaxy (Katie)