TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 10th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Default TT Resistance Evil, Week 2 Summary

TT Resistance Evil, Week 2

*This is the week when I try to do more or try to move more quickly through the workout, so that I really know what's possible and what's more beneficial during the last two weeks.

WORKOUT A
* I really wanted to go faster through this workout than I had in the previous one, to see how quickly I could do it.

TIME: 30:30

KB Swings 25 x 30 x 3 (30s rest)

Split Jumps BW x 6 x 3
Pull-up BW x 5,4,3
Spiderman Push-up BW x 16,12,10

DB Lunge 25 x 10 x 3
DB Row 25 x 18,13,11
Decline Push-up BW x 11,10,8

KB Swings 20 x 30 x 3

WORKOUT B

*This is the workout that shows me how far I have to go. Ten years ago I would have done the opening circuit with my bodyweight (which would have been between 175 and 180). I wish I had had TT back then... maybe I never would have quit!

TIME: 41:34

Breathing Squats 135-145 x 20,17,11
Bench Press 135-145 x 20,16,12
Deadlifts 135 x 10-5-5 x 3

Chin-ups BW x 7,5,4
Push-ups BW x 18,12,10

Hanging Knee Raises 10
SB Plank 30 seconds
SB X-Body Mtn Climber 5

*Lesson: I really need to work on my core strength. It sucks.

WORKOUT C
*It's odd doing a Snatch, which is a power move and is really supposed to use heavier weight, on a high rep circuit. Obviously, I'm not getting the 15 I'd like, but I wanted to try to make this move explosive, and the bar itself wasn't enough in the opening round.

Snatch 65 x 10,8,7,5

DB RDL 60 x 8 x 3
3-stop Push-up BW x 9,9,6

1-leg Squat BW x 10 x 3
Renegade Row 15 x 10 x 3

Triple Shoulder Raise 15 x 10,8,6

DB Incline Curl 25 x 8 x 3
DB 1-arm OH Tri Ext 25 x 10x 3
DB Hammer Curl 25 x 8 x 3

Transformation Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=10536

"Only that in which is me can understand what I am saying." Baba Ram Dass

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." -John Heider

"Everyone is a Being. Not everyone is a Becoming."
Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Default 600 Calories in 30 Minutes?

I posted about this in the Training/Exercise forum. A friend of mine did Resistance Evil Workout A with me. His little gadget claimed 600 calories burned in 30 minutes. He's 6'0", 220 lbs. I figure even if the thing is off by 30%, that's pretty impressive for 33:20 worth of training.

Last weekend was fun. I had planned to ESE Sunday noon to Monday noon, but since yesterday was MLK and I would be off work, we ate again Sunday night. As it stands, it's looking like 10 PM Monday to 7 PM Tuesday will be my fasting time. I don't want to NOT eat tonight, because then I will want to eat tomorrow morning and I'll get all thrown off on my regular IF. I figure if I eat some vegetable mash-up and tuna-on-wheat, then follow that up with a spinach-black bean-red pepper-red onion salad, I'll max out at about 1000 calories between 7 and 10 PM, which will get me through until Wednesday 4 PM, when I'll be back on my 18-hour IF.

Great workout yesterday! Afterward, I did some more sweeping/clean-up at the house. I broke my fast at 5 PM with spinach-and-kidney-bean salad, tuna-on-wheat, and string cheese. And a Guinness. Hung out with some friends afterward... really a great night. It's wet and cool today, but not so bad that I won't try to get in some interval training.

Last edited by rutherfordj2 : 01-18-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Talking Just an Update

Yesterday I didn't get to do the interval training that I wanted to do. My body was still feeling the Resistance Evil Workout A. I did shoot basketball for about 30 minutes (my wife teaches Zumba at our high school at 4:15 and 5:30, and I take money at the door, so it makes the extended fasting really simple on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday) and I did some steady state jump rope (30-45 seconds with 2 minutes rests) just to get some exercise.

Nutrition

Broke the fast at 6 PM, because we were having spaghetti at 7:30. My father-in-law was cooking, but I got home in time to make sure he used the extra lean beef, as well as to cut up peppers, onions, and tomatoes and throw in the sauce (he's one of those "southern" boys with ridiculous metabolisms who don't eat healthy and don't get why everyone else is fat from all the lard).

To make sure I didn't overeat spaghetti, I made a salad of fresh spinach, carrots, red peppers, onions, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese (so I wouldn't crave grated cheese). I also ate a cup of fresh blueberries and two pieces of whole wheat bread. I felt bloated, lol. But I didn't overeat spaghetti!

I had some vegetable mash-up later that night. My "dessert" was to split a Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar with my girls, so I had 1/3 of one. I'm trying to get them to think of "dark chocolate" as "good chocolate" and as a better alternative to milk chocolate.

I also had a Guinness. :-) I'm sorry, but I loooooove beer, especially dark beer. Especially Guinness. If one dark beer is gonna kill me, I guess I have one foot in the grave!

Excited about today's Workout B. I love power lifts! I've been watching videos on Deadlift form during lunch break to psyche myself up.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM

I forgot to post my measurements...

Biceps: 14 1/2
Chest: 42 1/2
Waist: 35 1/2
Hips: 37

I'm guessing my bodyfat to be 18-20 percent. 5'10", 190 lbs.

You know, at my best, my biceps were 16"... how the hell did I lose 18 inches of ARM?! :-) All I can do is laugh at myself and change for the future. I believe Craig said it: the best machine for getting in shape is a time machine!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM

We got about two inches of snow last night, so we're "snowed in". Literally all of middle Tennessee was out of school except for two private schools. lol I'm going to try to work out this afternoon if I can find a way up the ridiculous hill to our high school.

Small victory this morning: avoided the homemade waffles! We went sledding and I made it a point to sprint (as much as possible in snow gear) up the hill. I probably ended up doing 10 or so before I had to walk (another 15 times or so).

Lunch was spinach, carrots, blueberries, vegetable mash-up, and a comment from my father-in-law: "Do you ever worry about turning into a rabbit?"

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutherfordj2 View Post
We got about two inches of snow last night, so we're "snowed in". Literally all of middle Tennessee was out of school except for two private schools. lol I'm going to try to work out this afternoon if I can find a way up the ridiculous hill to our high school.

Small victory this morning: avoided the homemade waffles! We went sledding and I made it a point to sprint (as much as possible in snow gear) up the hill. I probably ended up doing 10 or so before I had to walk (another 15 times or so).

Lunch was spinach, carrots, blueberries, vegetable mash-up, and a comment from my father-in-law: "Do you ever worry about turning into a rabbit?"
Good one from your father-in-law It's quite hard to eat clean when you are in the house full of temptations, isn't it?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Default Workout Week 3 Summary

Resistance Evil Workout A
*This was the workout that burned about 400 calories in 30 minutes, according to my estimates based on a friend's calorie tracker device.

KB Swings 25x30x3

Split Jumps BWx6x3
Pull-up BWx6,5,3.5
Spiderman PU BWx18,12,8

DB Lunge 25x10x3
DB Row 25x16,14,14
Decline Push-up BWx11,11,10

KB Swings 20x30x3

Resistance Evil Workout B

Breathing Squats 155x15,7-3,6-4
Bench Press 155x12,12,10
Deadlift 155x7,5-2-2,5-2 (135x5)

Chin-ups BWx8,5,5
Push-ups BWx20,10,10

Resistance Evil Workout C
1/21/2011
* I made it through ice-laden roads (in Tennessee, we don't actually do anything about ice on the roads... we just wait it out), up the ridiculous hill to my high school (where resides the athlete's weight room I had all to myself), only to discover I'd left my key at home (30 minutes away, thanks to slow driving). I went back and got the damn key. This was kind of a seminal moment for me. It goes back to something I've always said about myself: I'll get in shape when I'm not doing it for any particular reason other than it's just who I am: someone who eats differently than others and goes to ridiculous lengths to work out. I learned that about myself in college (and also that consistency in working out doesn't require motivation, it just requires getting inside the gym door)

Snatch 95x6, 115x3x2

DB RDL 60x10,9,6
3-Stop Push-up BWx12,10,8

1-Leg Squat +20x6,6,5 (I held the DB as I would for a goblet squat)
Renegade Row 20x10,8,6

Trip Shoulder Raise 10x10x3

DB Incline Curl 25x10,7,6
DB 1-arm Tri Ext 20x10x3
DB Hammer Curl 25x10,7,6

Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Default Nutrition Update

Week 3 was pretty successful. I was never very worried about sticking to my nutrition plan, because it's what I have been doing for several months (holidays excepted). The challenge for me has been the unusual amount of snow we've gotten around here, which leads to days off from school, which leads to family breakfasts (we're living with the in-laws as we build a house), which leads to confusion/disappointment when I say I'm going to do something else.

Luckily, I love fruit and vegetables. I have found that I can make it until noon or 1 PM when I'm at home, so that is still a 14-16 hour fast. And when I load up on spinach, carrots, vegetable mash-up, blueberries, etc., I feel ridiculously full. Yesterday, I started eating at 1 PM and, since the family never really had a "group lunch" or "ground dinner"- we all fended for ourselves- I was able to feel stuffed. I felt like I had failed until I decided to add up my calories. Even after adding 20% for error, I topped out at 1200 calories.

It's time to go sledding!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Worked out after church this morning (Resistance Evil Workout A). I set a goal for myself (it's one of the things I do from my college days that gets me pumped for a workout): beat my previous time in Workout A (30:30) by at least 60 seconds and not do less reps or use less weight in any exercise. I about killed myself, but I did it: 26:15! Pretty pumped about that time.

Lunch today: spinach with green peppers, tomatoes, and carrots; blueberries and a banana; vegetable mash-up; a 100-calorie pack of Kraft cheese cubes. Total estimated calories: 350. I'll take those 350 calories any day, though. I felt bloated when I finished eating. It's 3:20 right now and I feel hungry, but I can tell it's not true hunger (one of the benefits of ESE and IF) because I'm thinking about eating unhealthy food. I learned I'm truly hungry when I'm craving "healthy" foods- fruits, vegetables, chicken or tuna. When I'm thinking about something else... IT AIN'T HUNGER!

Caveat: no one should take diet advice from me. I'm the idiot who went from six pack abs and 16" arms at 175 pounds to 215 pounds (now at 190 pounds), and I tend to be a little extreme. But it makes sense to me: if I'm really hungry, I'll eat anything, even the non-processed stuff.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 PM

ESE from 9 PM last night, only 2 1/2 hours to go. Around 3:00 PM I started feeling a sense of failure, and I couldn't pinpoint why, until I realized it stemmed from feeling bloated, like I'd just eaten a large meal. I had to rationally tell myself I had not done that. It happens frequently during 24-hour fasts- to me anyway. I don't know why or if it's unique to me.

Did a 6-minute ab advanced routine, followed by some 60/30 work/rest jump rope, then ran a few 20/10 Tabatas (not the full four minutes). I didn't want to push it on an off-day activity, because I haven't done any intervals lately. I want to ease into it!