TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 24th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2015, 01:23 PM

Default Showing Up

"80% of Success is showing up" - Woody Allen

That pretty much sums it up. I'm in. I NEED to be in. I have a million reasons to not be in, but I am determined not to be a product of my circumstances but rather a product of my decisions.... I will elaborate more in another post, probably will appropriately be titled "Obstacles".

Official start day is today; though I won't be able to get my pics until probably tomorrow. I had a clean breakfast, one cup of coffee, and a good workout. I've got lunch and dinner packed and I am on my way to work.

See you guys in a bit. I'm working on formulating some short term goals to keep me on track. I'm frustrated with how far backwards I have slipped, how out of shape I am... but I have to start somewhere, and I didn't get this way overnight... slow, small, steady steps win the race.

<3 Rachel

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

My TTTC 10 Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9998
Old 08-31-2015, 01:33 PM

You can do it Rachel! I'll be cheering for you.(and reading your old thread to get to know you!) Leslie
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Thank you, Leslie.

Well, yesterday went pretty well; on Monday mornings I feed horses and do barn chores, so I was outside working from 7am-10am on that. I came home and I did TT BW 6 mo manual workout- Prep phase, workout A, followed by interval workout A. It wasn't pretty, and I am frustrated with how weak I am... but the only way that will get better is to push through it.

After workout I got ready for work, I work for an ambulance service so lots of moving about and it was quite hot and humid yesterday. I just took 2 weeks off from work (and also from riding my horse because I was out of town) and its so hard to believe how difficult yesterday was after time off. I cannot wait for the day when I'm not winded walking up 2 flights of steps anymore. All I could think of was when my husband and I got our first place shortly after our wedding (before my injury, more on that later) and we moved into our second story place... I was up and down stairs all day carrying heavy things and I wasn't winded, and I wasn't even sore the next day. I miss that!

Food yesterday-
Breakfast
2 applegate farms sausages
1 cup broccoli
1 apple

Snack-
2 hard boiled eggs
baby carrots

Lunch-
chicken parmigiana (very little sauce, light cheese, healthy ingredients)
1 cup broccoli

Snack 2-
blueberries

Dinner-
chicken parmigiana
1 cup broccoli

(can you tell I'm trying to eat this chicken parm up so I can move on? lol. I have more for today too)

I am unbelievably sore from yesterday.

I had a healthy breakfast and I am getting ready to go to the farm to ride my horse, which is my off day activity. I work this afternoon. Really hoping that by tomorrow some of this soreness is a little better because man its going to kick my butt tomorrow otherwise (okay, who am I kidding, it will kick my butt either way).

Have a great day everyone

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 AM

Default Update

Well, days 2 and 3 down.... pretty much on point other than that I did get coffee yesterday afternoon- I am trying to cut back my coffee consumption so I am trying to only drink my morning cup. Other than yesterday, so far so good.

I still haven't gotten a paper to do my pics yet. I need to do that! I guess technically my days reset whenever I do that, lol.

I had forgotten what it was like to be this sore. I pushed through it and I did workout B from the Prep Phase of the 6 mo BW workout manual yesterday, along with intervals. I then went and rode my horse and went to work. Today I am feeling it, but again I am getting ready to go ride (I typically ride 5 days a week).

Food wise yesterday, I did well except I didn't have time to cook more vegetables before work, but I stopped and got a salad and some blueberries from the grocery store on shift, so my eating staying within reason.

I have met my water goals each day so far.

I need to work on my goals post

Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM

Yesterday was mediocre in terms of diet. I had healthy breakfast, and a good lunch/dinner but also had a root beer and a few cookies. Not horrible but also not great.

Yesterday I finally bought my paper and did my before pictures so now it's game on.

I have a horse show this weekend so it is going to be busy busy busy. Horse show weekends are good for me exercise wise as long as I keep my eating in check. So this morning I am doing Prep Phase workout C, but I am going to can the running for now in order to pack and prepare. I have to leave my house in about an hour to go to the farm so I have just enough time for this short post, a quick workout, and to pack/prep. I am taking LOTS of water, some veggies and chicken, an apple, some blueberries and carrots. I'm hoping I'm not out too late tonight; if I get back at a reasonable time I may run when I get home. At the very least I have to prep food and stuff that I need to take with me tomorrow.

May post more later depending on what time I get home.

Hope everyone has a great day (and a great weekend if I'm not back on here to update until it's all said and done)!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 PM

Default Busy Day and a little background on my recent woes

Greetings again everyone

Today was busy as anticipated. I got my workout in (BW manual Prep phase c) prior to leaving for the farm. I went, loaded my horse, headed to the showgrounds, rode, fed them dinner, then got home. I picked up more organic apples on the way home so I have them to snack on tomorrow. I am taking a salad with chicken for lunch. I will eat breakfast at odark thirty before I head over to feed the horses. I drank TONS and TONS of water today, and I am sure I will tomorrow and Sunday too. I think today I logged over 130 oz.

A little background on my recent issues (ongoing for a while but still):

To make a long story quite short, I ran a half marathon with my husband in January 2013 and ever since I have had problems with my right hip. I have seen 2 docs within the Naval Hospital and they both want to cut me open without doing an MRI. I get to switch insurance options in October so I will go see a civilian doc that will want the MRI before surgery (it's the standard for what they say I have). They tell me I have a 2 part problem- femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) and what they call snapping hip syndrome. FAI has several types, mine is a cam shaft deformity (didn't know I was a car?? lol). Basically the head of my femur isn't all that round and so it rubs on my labrum. They anticipate that I have a series of tears in my labrum (although they can't tell how much without an MRI). This causes me the most pain when my hip is adducted and there is more than a 30 degree bend in my leg. The hip snapping means that I also have issues where my IT band slides over the bones in my hip. It's likely causing bursitis. all that to say that any time my right leg crosses midline of my body, it hurts. I still ride, but that hurts the worst, lots of movement that irritates the hip. Walking up steps sucks. Step ups suck.

but, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. It hurts whether I exercise or not... so, do I exercise, deal with a little more pain, and reap the benefits of increased strength? No doubt, stronger core muscles help tons. Stronger leg muscles help tons. More flexibility would help a ton.

I ordered Missi Holt's yoga series geared at pain and I am waiting for it to arrive. I'm hoping that combining that with TT will help me get to a better place.

Per the doctors that I saw, my activity level is based on how much I can tolerate. Heck, one of the rude Navy docs told me to try to lose some weight (even though when I was seeing him I was still between 120-125 lbs which is completely normal for my height) so I guess they don't think I can make my hip worse by continuing to exercise. At least, if it is determined by a real non-navy doctor (sorry, I have had absolutely horrible experiences w/ the navy docs) that I need surgery then they should be able to potentially fix whatever it is; essentially they want to reshape the bones in my hip, and they have discussed just completely freeing my IT band.... but if they do that, I would no longer have the same ability to gain the same level of strength in that leg as I do in the other, due to no longer having the muscle connected to the bone there) SO if I'm going to get such a surgery, obviously I want to be as strong as possible... both due to the aforementioned and also the fact that I am told it is a 12 week recovery before I will be back to full speed.

Now, I'm in the medical field so I totally understand that sometimes surgery is necessary; but, where I get hung up is that running a half marathon couldn't have changed the shape of my bones.... so this is something I have always had, but running the half both surfaced and potentiated my hip issues. If I can avoid having a surgery, I certainly would like to do so.... so I am going to make a big effort.

So that's the back story. If you see me log any mentions of hip pain when I talk about workouts, that is why. I try to keep track of what causes increased pain and also at what rep/after how much activity... to see if its remaining the same or improving, or changing.

Next post will probably be my before pics (cringe) and my starting stats.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Looking forward to your journey and transformation. Make sure to post your final goals so we can keep you accountable! Keep on top of the pain but you are right- there is so much you can do to strengthen. 12 weeks- you've got it!

Ali
Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 PM

Hey Rachel, thanks for the story. What you said about running that half marathon not changing the shape of your bones rings true. It was just too much for the shape of your bones.

I only say this from experience, and from having an over-eager surgeon wanting to do all kinds of crazy stuff when I had injuries from running miles and miles, that I would urge you to back way off your exercise and give it time.

I ended up having one surgery and can't run anymore, since it messed up my foot. Maybe if you give it time you can just run less, or not at all, and not have pain.

Also, I'm definitely not trying to override any specific medical advice you get, but want to throw in that I have a degree in athletic training, which is all about rehab of athletic injuries, and one of the prime rules is to stop anything that irritates injuries. The inflammation only makes it worse. Don't do stuff that hurts.

I'm going to be joining you in the yoga program. Posting today... Namaste!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocombes View Post
Hey Rachel, thanks for the story. What you said about running that half marathon not changing the shape of your bones rings true. It was just too much for the shape of your bones.

I only say this from experience, and from having an over-eager surgeon wanting to do all kinds of crazy stuff when I had injuries from running miles and miles, that I would urge you to back way off your exercise and give it time.

I ended up having one surgery and can't run anymore, since it messed up my foot. Maybe if you give it time you can just run less, or not at all, and not have pain.

Also, I'm definitely not trying to override any specific medical advice you get, but want to throw in that I have a degree in athletic training, which is all about rehab of athletic injuries, and one of the prime rules is to stop anything that irritates injuries. The inflammation only makes it worse. Don't do stuff that hurts.

I'm going to be joining you in the yoga program. Posting today... Namaste!

Hey Maureen!

Thanks for the advice. Sorry to hear about your foot issues.

Unfortunately in order to stop doing what hurts I would have to stop walking, doing stairs, and riding horses... and basically be a couch potato... except sitting hurts too. I just can't bring myself to restricting my activity that way, especially when I was told to try to be as active as I can by 2 different orthopods. I do try to avoid exercises that specifically aggravate my hip; I do a lot of recumbent biking for intervals because that was recommended by PT.... I really don't run anymore. I am trying out intervals for the programs, but may end up doing a lot of that on the bike.

I'm looking forward to starting the yoga for pain as well we will see how it goes.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Hey Rachel,
Sorry for the pain you're in. Do you have access to a pool? I know you are already crazy busy but taking the weight off the joints might be the ticket until you figure out what you want or need to do long term to fix the problem.
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."Proverbs 31:17