TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 20th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Couple of new ones...good for the weekend to think about:

What is your #1 problem in life? Be clear. Now...how much time are you putting in to fixing this? How much money are spending on a solution? How many people have you reached out to for help? Why are the numbers in your answers so LOW? This is your #1 issue. Nothing else matters as much. Be clear on what matters, control what you can, concentrate on what counts.

How will you measure your life? Family and friends, love given and received, people helped, experiences had, reputation built, legacy left, time spent, and lastly, money made. Not by emails answered. Not by petty issues. But by what really matters. Be clear on what does, and make it count. Now...let's switch to BIG THINKING for next 7 days. Fun stuff ahead!
Old 05-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Administrator

It was about 4 years this spring that I sat down and wrote my Declaration of Individuality, my Code of Conduct, my Principles of Performance, and my Philosophical rules for Life that have guided me during my eternal personal transformation...that is continuing up through today via the British Gentleman project. Here's what I wrote on that sunny Sunday afternoon at the kitchen table out on the old farm...It's amazing what my personal core values have evolved into today.

My 12 Rules for Living

The one thing I admire about people who have strong nutrition beliefs is their dogmatic behavior. For example, a Paleo eater, under no circumstances, will ever eat Wonder Bread. There is no, "well, everyone else is having a PB&J on Wonder bread, so just this once, I will too."
That's not how it works. Not when a Paleo eater has a strong personal philosophy that they never, ever, ever eat processed food from a bag or a box.
And that strong personal philosophy guides them to guilt-free behavior that is congruent with their goals.
I've also taught my fat loss clients to develop their own personal philosophy - essentially a set of rules that dictate decisions, and I've also created my own rules that determine how I live my life so that I reduce guilt, stress, and wasted emotional energy.
The purpose of this email is not to say that my personal philosophies are wrong or right.
Instead, they are simply here to encourage you to adopt your own rules for the sake of living a better, more productive stress free life. 
You may have your own rules in your head, but I encourage you to put them in writing. And you can adopt a set of rules for every aspect of your life, from health to financial to family and business.
You can watch me explain my rules here

(NOTE: My rules have changed - slightly - since I first wrote them. Here is my updated approach to life.)
My 12 Rules
  • I go to bed and get up at the same time 7 days per week (8 p.m. and 4 a.m.) I stick to my diet, avoid caffeine after 1 p.m., and avoid alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime.
  • I write for at least 60 minutes first thing every morning.
  • I do not check email before 11 a.m. and I do not talk on the phone unless it is a scheduled interview or conference call.
  • I act polite and courteous, and I do not swear.
  • I create a to-do list at the start & end of every workday and update my daily gratitude & achievement journal.
  • I do not engage in confrontations with anyone, in-person or online. This is a waste of time and energy. If I have caused harm, I apologize and fix the situation. And then I take a deep breath, relax, breathe out, and re-focus my efforts back on my work and goals.
  • I am guided by these two phrases:
    a) "Nothing matters." - I can only work towards the major, massive goals and my vision of helping others, while the opinions of others do not matter to my goals.
    b) "It will all be over soon."
  • Everything that happens to me - good and bad - is my personal responsibility. I blame no one but myself. These are the choices I've made - this is the life I'm living. I will accept the consequences of my actions.
  • I will help 10 Million men and women transform their lives.
  • I will not be the person I don't want to be. I will not be petty, jealous, or envious, or give in to any other of those lazy emotions. I will not gossip or speak badly of others, no matter who I am with or what environment that I am in. I will not be negative when it is easier to be positive. I will not hurt others when it is possible to help. I will know the temptations, situations and environments in life that I must avoid, and I will, in fact, avoid them, even if it means loosening relationships with others who "live" in those environments. It's my life and that matters more than what other people think of me.
  • "I will always keep the child within me alive." - Ted Nicholas.
  • "I will write with honesty and feeling." - Ted Nicholas. The opinion of others does not matter. What matters is the number of people that I can help by sharing advice and encouragement in my writing.
These 12 rules allow me to live my life with less guilt, more energy, and more productivity than if I did not have these personal philosophies outlined.
Now I know there will be two types of reactions to this content. First, some will dismiss it - and dismiss me.
But to those people, remember the point of the list is not for you to sit there and think, "Oh, what a total weirdo. I never want to hang around with this guy."
Instead, the point of the list, the idea, the article is to simply stimulate your thinking.
And that's the 2nd type of reaction you can have to this article.
This is the reaction of the people who I'm interested in - the people who will realize what's holding them back is not a lack of knowledge (because the knowledge is out there and freely available), but instead, it is decision making.
Listen, I know that every week you make decisions that leave you full of guilt and remorse, but on the other hand you also make decisions that you know are correct - even though they are difficult to make.
Wouldn't you be better off if you made MORE correct decisions with less effort and stress?
Of course, and that is where you rules to live by, your personal philosophies, come into play.
With this post, I've given you a model so that you can create your own personal philosophies that will allow you to make the correct decision and fewer decisions that leave you with remorse.
As a result of making more correct decisions, you'll move closer to your goals and suffer less frustration. Life will be simpler once you start adhering to your own personal philosophies - and not worrying about what others think.
Tell me your personal philosophies and life rules <= Share them here
Stay strong and get stronger,

Craig Ballantyne
Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Not my best day dealing with small town conversation in the gym and with the UPS guy, but I regrouped, and ended each encounter as politely as possible.

BUT...

Big wins are the sum of small victories. Small victories the result of forward failing steps. Forward failing steps the upshot of little bets.

My goal is to keep on improving my patience. It's my downfall. If I can slow down, everything will get better.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 AM

My patience is what I'm trying to tackle too Craig, especially with my 2 boys and most importantly with my wife. Our parenting styles are so different and it definitely makes marriage a challenge. I had the weekend off (Family went away) where I quietly contemplated ways to be a better husband, father and human. They came home and lost patience 3 hours later! Old habits! Time to re-group for another day!

Mark
Old 05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Always look at your behavior objectively, as in the 3rd person. Realize that 90% of the time you are probably being foolish, and would look at someone acting that way as being foolish.

Now realize it is you.

And commit to change.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Administrator

"First, say to yourself what you would be; then do what you have to do." - Epictetus
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Administrator

I challenge all TT Members to:

a) Buy a box of Thank You cards (Or make your own, or heck, just use paper)

b) Send out 1 per week (I sent out 1 per day, 7 days per week, but I have a lot of biz contacts) for the next 3 months

c) Brighten people's day...because it will brighten yours.

d) Here's why I do it (personal story):
- http://www.earlytorise.com/how-to-make-someones-day/

e) I get a little smile 3 times from this.

First, when I write it and realize how awesome my friends are...and having gratitude for people makes you happy.

Second, when I drop the card in the mailbox...because I know they'll go from surprised to confused to happy in the span of 3 minutes.

Third, from when I hear from the person to whom it was sent. They are always so happy. For example, I just received this from one of our employees...I sent her a card last week:

"Hi Craig,
I got your Thank You card, and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it. I was feeling a little down yesterday, and it brightened up my day! Your card helped me push through and double down on work.

You walk the walk Craig!

Thanks,

Amber"

I'm telling you...it's almost like magic, but these cards almost always seem to show up in someone's mail on the day they really need it.

Craig
Old 05-30-2014, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Maya Angelou 'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.'

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
Maya Angelou 'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.'

Sad that she passed away. Smart lady. She's left a great legacy.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 PM

Challenge accepted!!! Great idea Craig. I will do one per day Mon - Fri starting next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ballantyne View Post
I challenge all TT Members to:

a) Buy a box of Thank You cards (Or make your own, or heck, just use paper)

b) Send out 1 per week (I sent out 1 per day, 7 days per week, but I have a lot of biz contacts) for the next 3 months

c) Brighten people's day...because it will brighten yours.

d) Here's why I do it (personal story):
- http://www.earlytorise.com/how-to-make-someones-day/

e) I get a little smile 3 times from this.

First, when I write it and realize how awesome my friends are...and having gratitude for people makes you happy.

Second, when I drop the card in the mailbox...because I know they'll go from surprised to confused to happy in the span of 3 minutes.

Third, from when I hear from the person to whom it was sent. They are always so happy. For example, I just received this from one of our employees...I sent her a card last week:

"Hi Craig,
I got your Thank You card, and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it. I was feeling a little down yesterday, and it brightened up my day! Your card helped me push through and double down on work.

You walk the walk Craig!

Thanks,

Amber"

I'm telling you...it's almost like magic, but these cards almost always seem to show up in someone's mail on the day they really need it.

Craig

Mark