TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 15th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi Morgan:

I envy you for having an organic vegetarian restaurant nearby. I live in Springfield, Missouri where such a thing is unheard of.

Planning meals is essential for me; I hope it works as well for you.

I'm taking the approach of programming an extremely low calorie skeleton diet; 1600 cals. Then, if I'm losing enough, I top off with more healthy food (a couple hundred calories a day) now and then. Unfortunately I rarely get to top off. I do raise the calories from time to time since I hear that is a good thing for leptin levels and other things I don't really know anything about. It may all be bs.

Mark
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Sounds like a good approach Mark. I'm aiming for around 2,000 calories a day myself ...

Today was my first workout day of the challenge. Instead of going straight into 2K3 I've opted to go back to the drawing board and start with a couple of weeks of Intermediate to ease me in.

The reason for this is because of a couple of injuries I've been pretty sedentary for the last month or so. I don't feel anywhere near the shape I was in a couple of months ago and I think my body will appreciate being eased in and gradually picking up the pace.

So I did workout A from the Intermediate workout. One set of each plus a warm up set for the first superset.

1a) Split squats 8 x 25 pounds
1b) Dumbell press 8 x 50 pounds

2a) Leg curl on the ball x 10
2b) Push ups x 10

3a) Jacknifes x 10
3b) DB rear delt raise 8 x 16 pounds

I followed it up with intervals on the exercise bike. Felt great afterwards.

It's a little frustrating to be having to start again but I'm figuring I will benefit later in the 12 weeks. I'm sure two weeks of intermediate will get me ready to hit 2K3 and also have me losing a few pounds in the process.

The last thing I want is another injury.

Started my day with a power smoothie. It'll be chicken with a big salad for lunch, some nuts and vegetables for a snack and some salmon with veggies and a sweet potato for dinner.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganHK View Post
Sounds like a good approach Mark. I'm aiming for around 2,000 calories a day myself ...

Today was my first workout day of the challenge. Instead of going straight into 2K3 I've opted to go back to the drawing board and start with a couple of weeks of Intermediate to ease me in.

The reason for this is because of a couple of injuries I've been pretty sedentary for the last month or so. I don't feel anywhere near the shape I was in a couple of months ago and I think my body will appreciate being eased in and gradually picking up the pace.

So I did workout A from the Intermediate workout. One set of each plus a warm up set for the first superset.

1a) Split squats 8 x 25 pounds
1b) Dumbell press 8 x 50 pounds

2a) Leg curl on the ball x 10
2b) Push ups x 10

3a) Jacknifes x 10
3b) DB rear delt raise 8 x 16 pounds

I followed it up with intervals on the exercise bike. Felt great afterwards.

It's a little frustrating to be having to start again but I'm figuring I will benefit later in the 12 weeks. I'm sure two weeks of intermediate will get me ready to hit 2K3 and also have me losing a few pounds in the process.

The last thing I want is another injury.

Started my day with a power smoothie. It'll be chicken with a big salad for lunch, some nuts and vegetables for a snack and some salmon with veggies and a sweet potato for dinner.
Sounds like a smart move to me and pretty sure Craig would be right on board with that(couple weeks of intermediate), Morgan.........2K3 is a great progam. It will be worth the wait.......Good luck.......
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

I agree, good move on starting conservatively.

Mark
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM

Hi everyone,

Afraid it's been a busy week or so the last week and I didn't get too much time to post. But in the meantime, I've been pushing ahead with my program.

I did a week of intermediate workouts this week and it went well. I was able to push up the weights and I'm starting to feel fitter. Going to one more week of it this week then move to 2k3 for 4 weeks for the next stage of the transformation.

On off days I've done a LOT of walking! I've had my father in town and we have been busy sightseeing and also went for a hike.

My diet on the whole has been consistent though the last few days since we had some public holidays I've had a couple of reward meals.

So far in 10 days I've lost just over 2 pounds which I'm happy with to start with. The next 2 weeks I intend to push into the next gear with the workouts and compliance to my nutrition program.

So in the middle of week 2 of my program I'm at 183 pounds, around 20% body fat. I want to get down to 170 for about 15% or just under in the first instance during the next 6-7 weeks, before reassessing.

I've been eating probably slightly too many calories so aim to push back to 2,000 a day for the next 2 weeks and see how that goes, while keeping my approach of eating 3-4 times a day with a couple of snacks, similar to Craig's simple nutrition guidelines.

I'm also aiming to make one or two positive changes every week. This week my aim is to further cut back on my alcohol intake, sticking to no more than a few days during the week of 1-2 glasses of red wine or light beer.

Another aim is to get most of my carbohydrates from fruit and veg.

Going to hit it hard in the gym today with Intermediate B, then it'll be A on Friday.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM

That's a great approach - 1-2 things a week is the way to go. Keep up the great progress!

Mike
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Thanks Mike ...

Approaching end of week 2 and things have gone well for me. Weighed in yesterday at 82kgs (181 pounds) so a couple of pounds down again.

Overall I've lost 3-4 pounds in the two weeks which I'm happy with to start. Another 11-12 to go in the first instance.

I had an amazing workout yesterday doing workout B of Intermediate. After reading Craig's email how to cut down on the workout time, I implemented the suggestions seeing as I was a bit short on time yesterday, doing the first two supersets as a circuit.

So I did:

1a) DB squats 44lbs x 8
1b) Rollouts x 8
2a) Reverse lunge 44lbs x 8
2b) Side plank - 20 secs each side

I repeated 3 times.

Followed with DB rows - 66 lbs x 8

I then finished up with one of Mike's workout finishers, Decline of the Bulgarians, split squat and decline push ups. Amazing stuff!

Took a 40 minute walk this morning for my off day and tomorrow workout A of Intermediate before moving onto 2k3 next week.

Bring it on!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM

End of week 2. Pleased to say I'm down around 4 pounds in 2 weeks having done two weeks of intermediate. My fitness is back to where I wanted to be meaning I'm confident of now tackling 2k3 successfully.

Diet wise I have just been eating less and eating mainly whole natural foods. I have still been eating a good amount, around 2200 calories a day. Many days I've eaten more than that though aiming to avoid anything too unhealthy.

I'll aim to stick in the 2000 or so range this coming week when I will be starting 2k3.

As for my positive change this week, I aim to up my compliance. I had probably about 4 meals that could be categorized as cheat meals this week so I'll try to cut that to 3.

The other aim is psychological. I've found myself becoming almost obsessed with thinking about my food choices and researching nutrition online in the evenings. This week I want to start not doing this and start enjoying life without analyzing all the time. Hopefully this over analyzing is normal as you start and as the healthy lifestyle becomes natural i won't have to stress so much.

Has anyone else faced this issue?

This week I stuck to my aim of cutting down on alcohol. In total I drank alcohol on 4 days, either a couple of glasses of wine or one beer. I also got most of my carbs from fruit and veg as I'd aimed for so looks like I'm on the right path.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Hi. I think the obsession with food may be OK. Keep in mind you are not only trying to live a healthy lifestyle, you are trying to lose weight, which is a temporary condition; you don't want to lose weight the rest of your life. It seems normal that you would have to spend more mental effort thinking about food to achieve that goal temporary goal. Hopefully when you are in the maintanence phase, it won't be so intense. I'm in the same boat.

Keep up the good work!

Mark
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Think of food as fuel.......you wouldnt put sugar in the fuel tank of your car, and you wouldnt keep the nozzle on and let the fuel spill over onto the ground, either.

Put in good fuel and enough to keep your tank full, but not run it over and just use the good stuff!

Rob