TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > TT Workout Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM

Smile TT Advanced

I just took a peek at next week's advanced workout. For the first set it is either pull-ups or dumbbell csr. I have a pull-up bar, but can not do one single pull-up. I do not have an incline bench. I've been able to make do so far with a board leaning against the window sill for chest stuff. So what would be the best way to approach this set short of going out and buying a bench? Would there be benefit in some sort of assisted pull-up, say having a ladder to get me part of the way there??
Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 AM

Hi

I also have problems with pull ups. It has often been said on these pages that you can do eccentric pull ups,i.e. if you can get to the 'up' position, e.g. by jumping or on a bench/ladder etc, then lower yourself down for between 4-10 seconds. This is what is suggested on the videos and the pull up queen herself, Shawna Kaminski.
May I dare suggest also, as the movement is similar to CSR, that bodyweight rows may be an alternative. But the top guys will probably correct me on this last point.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Inverted Rows with overhand grip using bar or suspension trainer (TRX, WOSS, Jungle Gym) is one option....or... With fixed bar can use chair or bench which that will permit contact with feet through out the movement and partially support your weight as needed. You could also put some sort of strap around the bar that would allow you to insert your foot and get an assist in this way.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 AM

I am also among those who cannot do pull-ups. In fact I have never in my life been able to even when I could squat and leg press large amounts of weight, my upper body strength has always been a problem. I got close when I was at my lowest weight before a knee injury, surgery, recovery from the surgery, and a basic lack of personal disciple lead to putting on much of what I lost.

I echo what has been said--eccentric, assisted with a strap, or inverted rows are all options. Personally, as I work through the Intermediate program I intend to also work on pull-ups and chin-ups doing eccentric and assisted ones. Even if I can't do them yet until the weight comes down, I figure doing so will improve my strength even now, not to mention get the feel of the muscles used to do a pull-up.

Oh, I should add that I believe it was Shawna who suggested using wall stick-ups to get a feel for the muscles that are used for pull-ups. That is something that just came to my mind because I know at least part of doing pull-ups is pulling with the right muscles.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Smile Thanks

I did use a chair last night for the up part and then with my hands in chin-up position, held myself up for a second and then lowered as slowly as a could. I tried to concentrate the movement in my back as opposed to my arms. I've had trouble with my right elbow in the past and want to be very careful with that. I did 8.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Leslie, funny you should talk about these today. I did the HWR w/o yesterday that required as many pull-ups in a minute as you can do, for three rounds. My pull-ups are jumpers: I grab the bar, jump up, and complete the move. Throughout this torture I was thinking about whether I'm using the best strategy, and decided that an exaggerated eccentric lowering phase is what I'm going to pursue. I, too, will be overjoyed when I can do a "real" pull-up, without cheating.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 PM

There is an app called 20 chin ups (there is also one called 100 push ups and another called 200 squats). With this you progress from doing one chin up for 5 sets, then 5 sets of 2, of course building up to 20 in one round. This is done 3x per week for 6 weeks. You could obviously do pull ups this way, I would have thought. I did actually start doing the push version, but prefer doing TT workouts.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Thanks Phillip

There is a guy on you-tube called Scooby. He has a 4 part progression for doing pull-ups. I like how he breaks it down. Someone mentioned a female in the comments above. I'll have to figure out who that is and see if her suggestions jive with Scooby since I am a girl and all! My back is a little sore from my 8 "I think I can" pull-ups!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Red face Duh!

The pull-up issue is addressed w/in the workout! Carry on!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM

Smile 2K3 Workout A

That was a good one in a "holy crap this is hard" kind of way. I have a couple of questions and 2 "observations".

1. While I am working up to my monstrous pull-ups is it okay to have my hands in the chin-up position? This is easier.

2.Is it okay to do a dumbbell row with my kettlebell?(I don't have straps)

3. I think I'm ready to donate my 8# weights to Goodwill!

4. During the first half of this workout, there was a REALLY heavy breather working out near the microphone! I was really impressed that y'all didn't stop the workout and tell him to shut it! I do not miss loud breathers and non-sweat wipers at my gym!

Last edited by LeslieM : 02-10-2014 at 05:00 PM.