TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 16th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Default Jolly's Goals

Health - two big health goals for me. I want to get at or below 10% body fat and the biggie for me...stop smoking cigars.

I "learned" to start smoking when I went through rehab for alcoholism. Been sober for 10 years now but I just traded one addiction for another. Time to clean up and not rely on other addictive behaviors to cure me of others.

Wealth - if I want it I buy it, so my new goal is to stop using credit cards and actually save up the money to get something I want/need. I want to learn to appreciate the process of earning what I get and not enslaving myself to debt to be "happy".

Wise - I want to learn Spanish as it's becoming a big part of my job as I'll be traveling to Central and South America quite a bit in 2013. I purchased Rosetta Stone so my goal is to finish at least level 3 in three months.

“You can’t always be the fastest or the strongest, but you can always try the hardest.” - sign in Jay Ferruggia's Renegade Gym
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Wonderful goals, good sir. Looking forward to seeing you make progress in all of these.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Great goals there, jollybeggar!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on all of them!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobB View Post
Great goals there, jollybeggar!!!!!!!!!! Good luck on all of them!
I concur. Great stuff. You will do great.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM

Agreed, all three good.

As some extra motivation I've heard that the mental challenge in something like learning a language is very good for your brain and mental abilities. We need to exercise our mind as well as our bodies, especially as we get older. Reading is good, but I bet it's better if it's something more challenging like learning a language, or learning to program a computer. Gotta put some Turbulence on your BRAIN!

Mark
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks so much Craig, Rob, Peter and Mark,

Appreciate the feedback. This is going to be tough, that's for sure. I'm up for the challenge though. Working on the game plan to reach the goals since I've learned from past failed TC contest that I just can't wing it and succeed.

1a. 10% body fat or under - Eating clean which for me is gluten free and for the first month, vegetarian. I was reading about the "Eat Right for Your Type" diet which stated that certain blood types do well on certain diets and mine is veggie. Not sure if it's legit or not so I'm giving it a go for a month to see if there's a difference in my energy and strength level. I'll also be doing the TT workouts, definitely BDHC and probably Muscle Massacre MRT and Meatheads Offseason. (I didn't see anything in the rules saying we couldn't use other systems, like Roman's or ShapeShifter, is that correct?)

1b. I don't smoke in front of the family although they know when I do since it's pretty hard to hide cigar smell on my breath and clothes. I haven't smoked in a week since we're all together on vacation in Colorado for Christmas, so this is a good start for me. To help keep me honest I'm going to ask one of my kids to go with me when I have to drive to town for groceries or whatever since those are the times I usually smoke. Our work has a smoking cessation plan as well so I'm going to look into that as well.

2. Cigars are the main purchase for me on credit so quitting smoking will help a long way with that. The other thing is that I'm a sucker for a latest and greatest workout program, I've probably only done half of the ones I've purchased. So to help on that front I'm going to unsubscribe from all of the newsletters that promote their systems. My wife and I are also working together to track what we purchase outside of our budget to hold each other accountable.

3. This goal I'm putting down on my work's goal list as well. The company I work for has a incentive program that rewards us with a bonus based on how well we did on job performance and projects we set for ourselves. Learning Spanish will go on that list. My wife also took Spanish in HS so I'll have someone at home to practice with along with the International folks at our office.

I took before pics yesterday and weighed myself. Can't take caliper measurements until we get home on Sunday night. So Monday morning I'll take measurements and determine my starting body fat %. Not worried so much about how much I weigh as opposed to the body fat.

Here's to everyone doing the ETR Challenge. Hope you all reach your goals.

“You can’t always be the fastest or the strongest, but you can always try the hardest.” - sign in Jay Ferruggia's Renegade Gym
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Just re-read the rules, TT workouts only. No problem.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM

F&$k! Already time to reboot. This is going to be tough for me. Found a cigar in my computer bag I didn't know I had. Ended up "having to run to the store" and smoked it. So frustrated with myself. Had a good week clean and now I'm back to day 1. Good news is tomorrow will be day 2 and so on. I'm better than this. If I can stay "lean" after 20 years of being fat, I can beat this too.

TT's Facebook post was good for me today. One day at a time.

On another note, read up on the blood typing diet and saw some feedback on the fat loss forum that its a bunch of hokum so I broke my vegetarian gig this morning and had meat with my breakfast, for some reason I felt like crap afterwards. I'm going back to veggie for awhile and then will try meat again to see if I experience the same thing. Hmmmmm....

Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Dont beat yourself up, over it JB.....tomorrow is a new day......move on!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollybeggar View Post
F&$k! Already time to reboot. This is going to be tough for me. Found a cigar in my computer bag I didn't know I had. Ended up "having to run to the store" and smoked it. So frustrated with myself. Had a good week clean and now I'm back to day 1. Good news is tomorrow will be day 2 and so on. I'm better than this. If I can stay "lean" after 20 years of being fat, I can beat this too.

TT's Facebook post was good for me today. One day at a time.

On another note, read up on the blood typing diet and saw some feedback on the fat loss forum that its a bunch of hokum so I broke my vegetarian gig this morning and had meat with my breakfast, for some reason I felt like crap afterwards. I'm going back to veggie for awhile and then will try meat again to see if I experience the same thing. Hmmmmm....
Don't let it get you down John. As a person with a very addictive personality I feel your pain. Since we're sharing I had a very bad codeine addiction for about 3 years due to a couple of injuries. It took me many, many attempts to finally kick it a little earlier this year. But I did it with the help of my wife.

Nicotine is just as addictive. What is important is that you have put it out there and are trying. You may have many failed attempts but what is important is that you are on the right path and with persistence you will get there in the end. I have no doubt about that.

If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to involve your family (if you haven't already). This place is great, but they are your number one support network.