TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinFit View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on a good goal for plank duration over the next 10 weeks? I can currently get close to 45 seconds and was curious as to what I should shoot for between now and the end of the contest?

Thanks.
I remember something from Craig awhile back about 2 minute planks being an excellent goal. Good luck with your progress - you sound like you're well on your way!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Default Week 4

Decent week overall. 4 lb weight loss, which is good. Managed to get the workouts in...starting to shift from BW to DB for this next 4 week period. Swam laps for the first time in over a decade, which felt really good. Intensity and numbers are improving week over week in all workouts.

Day 22 – Mon – 9/27

TT 6 mo BW Phase 1-A, x 3

Stationary Bike 2:00/2:00 intervals
- 4’ warmup
- L15 / L6 x 6 intervals, 80-90 rpm

Started ESE after breakfast

Day 23 – Tue – 9/28

Off due to sore calves/achilles

Day 24 – Wed – 9/29

Run/walk to gym and back (about 2 miles each way); 3’ run / 1’ walk, about 20’ each way

Since I’m planning to shift to DB Depletion or similar next week, did some DB work to see what weights I should use.

DB squat, chest press, lunge, and 1 arm row. All exercises 3 x 8 reps x 40# DB. Did as giant sets.

Day 25 – Thu – 9/30

Started ESE after breakfast, but did eat some smoked turkey at dinner

Swim 600 meters. 500 in 15:30, alternating crawl, left side, crawl, and right side. 100m cool down. About 20’ total. Need better warm-up next time. Sore back (haven’t swam laps in 12 years...probably should have "eased" into it more slowly)

Day 26 – Fri – 10/1

Stationary bike warm-up 3’
Stairclimber L9, 15’ speed intervals (60 sec/60 sec – 7 intervals)

General weight workout in preparation for starting DB Depletion next week. Plus, I wanted to see how my strength was now (after doing mostly BW workouts for 4 weeks) in relation to some of the lifts I was doing just prior to starting TT. I'm happy to say that I was able to equal or exceed what I was doing prior!! Strength increasing, not decreasing.

DB Squat and DB Bench: 1x6x25#; 3x8x45#
Cable step up and cable row: 2x8x110#
Cable shoulder press (2x8x80#) paired with lat pulldown (2x8x120#)

Day 27 – Sat – 10/2

Bodyweight 200 challenge x 2 circuits
Times for 10/2: 6:15, 2:00 rest, then 8:13, total of 16:28.
Times from 9/25: 7:33, 2:00, 9:12, total of 18:46
Times from 9/18: 8:15, 2:00, 11:30, total of 21:45

Shaved over 5:00 minutes from total time in two weeks!!

Day 28 – Sun – 10/3

Started ESE but ended up eating (2) 180 cal bars due to long hike.

Hiked ~8 miles in 2:10. 5 mile Cherokee Trail then the Climb-up Trail at Stone Mountain, GA. HR Monitor indicated 1,800 calories burned. Probably high but still a great workout. Guess I can’t call today my off day!

Weight (in a.m.) 237 (-4 week; -13 total)
Belly 43 (-3 total)
Improvements in most other measurements as well.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM

Default 4 Week Reassessment

I am happy with my results over the past 4 weeks. 13 lbs and 3 inches off belly are solid numbers, especially considering I consider two of my weeks to be only “ok” in regards to nutrition. I think ESE is helping in that regard. Love the BW workouts, especially the challenges.

Over the next 4 weeks, I hope to work on the following:
- Water intake - not getting enough

- While I’m not tracking my calories / food in detail, I do want to do some basic menu planning (I don’t mind eating the same thing over and over, for a while) to make sure I’m getting enough protein and fiber.

- Switch to DB depletion next 4 weeks, then possibly back to BW Manual Phase 2 the last 4 weeks.

- Better warm-ups!!

- Sleep more – goal 7 hours, 6 hours minimum (hard with four young kiddos and a crazy schedule)

- Continue ESE – may try ESE 3x / week a couple of times

- Increase focus on plank and pushups to get those numbers up

- Change weekly challenge to TT Addiction for next 8 weeks and try to improve score weekly.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I am happy with my results over the past 4 weeks. 13 lbs and 3 inches off belly are solid numbers, especially considering I consider two of my weeks to be only “ok” in regards to nutrition. I think ESE is helping in that regard. Love the BW workouts, especially the challenges.

That's awesome!!!
My TT#9 contest thread
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Over the next 4 weeks, I hope to work on the following:
- Water intake - not getting enough

- While I’m not tracking my calories / food in detail, I do want to do some basic menu planning (I don’t mind eating the same thing over and over, for a while) to make sure I’m getting enough protein and fiber.

- Switch to DB depletion next 4 weeks, then possibly back to BW Manual Phase 2 the last 4 weeks.

- Better warm-ups!!

- Sleep more – goal 7 hours, 6 hours minimum (hard with four young kiddos and a crazy schedule)

- Continue ESE – may try ESE 3x / week a couple of times

- Increase focus on plank and pushups to get those numbers up

- Change weekly challenge to TT Addiction for next 8 weeks and try to improve score weekly.

Hi Terry

sorry not been back here for a while to post, hard getting time to log in check up on eveyrone!

Wow that's fantastic weight loss in such a short time. ESE must be working for you. I have managed 4 fasts since I last posted on your thread and haven't found them too bad.

My weight loss has not been as great as yours thought so not sure ESE is working so well for me
but I am also a very impatient person, so maybe I need to give it more time!

Have you done TT before? just wondered as I see you didn't start with the intermediate program that Craig recommends, but you are doing really well with the programs you have choses.

Keep up the great work. Cheers KT @)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
Hi Terry

sorry not been back here for a while to post, hard getting time to log in check up on eveyrone!

Wow that's fantastic weight loss in such a short time. ESE must be working for you. I have managed 4 fasts since I last posted on your thread and haven't found them too bad.

My weight loss has not been as great as yours thought so not sure ESE is working so well for me
but I am also a very impatient person, so maybe I need to give it more time!

Have you done TT before? just wondered as I see you didn't start with the intermediate program that Craig recommends, but you are doing really well with the programs you have choses.

Keep up the great work. Cheers KT @)
Thanks for dropping by Katie. This is my first time with TT. I played around with various exercises the week before I started to get the feel for the bodyweight workouts, then jumped into the Bodyweight manual. I chose it for two reasons: 1) I wanted to workout at home for a while and didn't have any weights and 2) I wanted the satisfaction of learning to "move" my body through the various exercises.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 AM

Hi Terry, Sounds like you are truly committed and starting to reap the rewards. I'll be interested to hear how you do with "Depletion". I started but didn't complete it before this challenge started, and I'm regretting that. My husband and I have a nine year old son. I think this program sets a great example for kids as they learn so much more from what we do than what we say! Good Luck
Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Weeks 5 and 6

Since I’m playing catch up on my posting, I’m not going to go into too much detail here. Bottom line, I made good progress in Weeks 5 and 6. That said, I never really found my “groove.”

First, I was traveling for the first time since starting the contest. I ate pretty clean, just a lot.

I started Dumbell Depletion (DD) at the beginning of week 5 (which is when I went on the road). Still, I had a couple of good workouts while on the road…a dumbbell workout at the hotel gym, a little bodyweight stuff, two very good hikes/trail runs, and stair intervals. Having gotten used to Mon-Wed-Fri workouts with my prior bodyweight program, moving to DD’s Mon-Thu schedule felt somewhat strange. Still, I got a lot of work in.

Starting with the second week, my gym closed for remodeling so I had to use my subdivision’s gym. Not bad (dumbbells are dumbbells, right?), but another change, different machines for intervals, and still didn’t necessarily feel comfortable with the Mon-Thu exercise schedule. I plan to move from DD to BW Cardio 3 at the start of Week 7 as I feel the BW circuits work better for me right to just burn calories. I will likely go back to DD at a later date.

My major breakthrough during week 6 was finally trying out FitDay…very eye opening and I’ll be using it for the remainder of the contest and at least until I reach my goals.

Bottom line, I lost 7 lbs during weeks 5 and 6, for a total six week weight loss of 20 lbs (only 5 lbs away from my 12 week goal of 25 lbs). I currently weigh 230. I have also lost a solid 4 inches from my waist compared with my 12 week goal of 4-5 inches. Bodyfat % is down about 4%.

While I fully expect the pace of weight loss to decrease over the next 6 weeks, between BW Cardio 3 and improved nutrition (FitDay), I’m looking forward to racing past my 12 week goals on the way to better fitness.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Six Week Reassessment

Overall, I’m very pleased with my progress during the first half of the contest. I’m also looking forward to the second half of the contest as I think I still have a lot of room for improvement, especially on the nutrition side.

Nutrition: I still need to improve my nutrition and have started using FitDay to get a better feel for my macronutrient intake. Need more protein and less carbs. Need more water. I’ll continue to do ESE 1-2 times per week as it seems to be working. May get Isabel’s nutrition program but want to win a premium TT membership so I can try TT’s nutrition program first!!

Exercise: I had great success with the Phase 1 BW Manual during weeks 1-4. While I enjoyed doing Dumbell Depletion during weeks 5 and 6, and also had good success, I will be shifting back to bodyweight exercises for the second half of the contest, following BW Cardio 3 starting out. Will also add in the TT Addiction Challenges every 2 weeks to track progress.

Other: Still need to sleep more. This week has been particularly hard with the Texas Rangers in the playoff’s.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Prelminary Six Week Mini Contest Entry

[Pics and preliminary entry were emailed...will repost everything, along with pics, when the six week mini contest thread is started]

Twelve years ago, I was in pretty good shape at 200 pounds (6’3” tall) and running triathlons. Since then, I let life get in the way of my health and fitness, eventually reaching 275 pounds. After many failed efforts to get back in shape, I entered a weight loss contest at my gym about a month before TC 9 started. While I was making decent progress on my own, I had “been there” before…losing 20 or so pounds on my own, keep it off a short time, then gradually the weight started creeping back on. I came across TT while doing some random fitness-related web surfing a couple of weeks before the start of this contest. Probably a half dozen times, I had the “order” page pulled up and almost hit the buy button. Finally, a week before the start of the contest, I pulled the trigger…and haven’t looked back.

When I purchased the TT program, I thought I was getting some neat workouts. What I’ve come to find is that I’ve tapped into a way of life…an exercise program that is very manageable from a time perspective, very flexible, hard (what looks deceptively easy on paper is incredibly hard when you do it right), yet very fun. While I hadn’t been doing much in the way of long slow boring cardio, it was more because of a time limitation, not based on the understanding that it wasn’t the best way to lose fat and get fit. Now I know first hand that short, intense weight workouts and intervals rule!! The nutrition advice provided in the program and in the discussion boards has been very enlightening as well, and the support on the discussion boards has been very encouraging.

What I did – I started with Phase 1 of the 6 month bodyweight manual. I am still a bit uneasy doing a lot of bodyweight exercises at the gym, so was able to do most of the workouts at home, then hit the gym for my intervals (stationary bike, stair climber, and treadmill). Weeks 5 and 6 I used Dumbbell Depletion…while I’ll likely switch back to a bodyweight program for the remainder of the contest as I want to really focus on shredding the fat, I loved that workout as well. Nutrition wise, I learned that you can’t outwork a bad diet!!! For the first half of the contest, I worked to eat clean and did Eat Stop Eat one or two times a week. ESE really helped to offset my lack of nutrition knowledge. About a week ago, I actually started entering my nutrition in FitDay, which I’m now hooked on. My nutrition promises to be much better in the second half of the contest.

I threw out some pretty high goals for this contest…shockingly enough, I am already honing in on them all only six weeks in. I wanted to lose 10% of my bodyweight, or 25 lbs…I have already lost 20. I wanted to lose 4-5 inches off my belly…I’ve lost 4. I wanted to pass the Navy physical readiness test and I’m almost there (may already be there but I haven’t tried the run trial yet due to some nagging calf soreness). More importantly, I feel better in general and am more comfortable in my own skin (and clothes).

The numbers on Oct 17:
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 230 (-20 lbs!!!)
Belly: 42” (-4”)

BMI: 28.74 (-2.5)
Navy BF%: 26.4% (-4.2%)
YMCA BF%: 24.79% (-4%)

In looking at my before and after photos, it is very evident that I still have a ways to go. However, for the first time in a very long time, I don’t even wonder if I’ll get there or if I’ll keep it off…I know I will.

I can’t thank Craig enough for the programs and the contest. It has not only provided the inspiration and encouragement to change, but the roadmap. Thanks Craig!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeforeFront.JPG (77.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg BeforeSide.JPG (71.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg AfterFront.JPG (74.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg AfterSide.JPG (92.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by GettinFit : 10-27-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: add pictures