TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 9th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Default TC9 - Cut the fat out of DC!

Actually, I live in Northern Virginia, but close enough

I'm 47 yo. This contest comes at the perfect time. I just (yesterday) finished a 14 week contest in the Burn the Fat forum. I was using Turbulence Training for my exercise routines
for the last 8 weeks. I want to continue the progress I've made so far and solidify the habits I developed over the past 14 weeks.

Unfortunately, last week I developed Achilles tendonitis in my right foot and this is limiting my cardio options. Therefore, I'm starting this contest with the TT Mass @ Home workout. I figure I can do most of the exercises in there and still give my foot a chance to heal. I already did the first day this morning.

My statistics at the start:

height: 68"
wt: 165.8 lbs.
body fat: 14.8% (using Accu-measure).

My goal by the end of the twelve weeks is to lose 10 lbs. of fat. This corresponds to having a weight of 160 lbs. and bf% of 9%.

The challenge is on! Good luck to all!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Congratulations on completing your 14 week contest - I'm sure you'll do amazing in this one! But watch that foot though, don't want to do yourself a mischief!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome, excellent goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artb View Post
Actually, I live in Northern Virginia, but close enough

I'm 47 yo. This contest comes at the perfect time. I just (yesterday) finished a 14 week contest in the Burn the Fat forum. I was using Turbulence Training for my exercise routines
for the last 8 weeks. I want to continue the progress I've made so far and solidify the habits I developed over the past 14 weeks.

Unfortunately, last week I developed Achilles tendonitis in my right foot and this is limiting my cardio options. Therefore, I'm starting this contest with the TT Mass @ Home workout. I figure I can do most of the exercises in there and still give my foot a chance to heal. I already did the first day this morning.

My statistics at the start:

height: 68"
wt: 165.8 lbs.
body fat: 14.8% (using Accu-measure).

My goal by the end of the twelve weeks is to lose 10 lbs. of fat. This corresponds to having a weight of 160 lbs. and bf% of 9%.

The challenge is on! Good luck to all!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:28 PM

I hope the injury heals soon. Good to have you along for the contest.

I'm a huge fan of your part of the world (DC) and make an effort to visit whenever I visit the US.

Find me on Facebook
Old 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Waleed,

Thanks for checking. Still struggling with it and taking naprosyn around the clock.
Hoping it's better withing the next three weeks when I finish the "mass at home" workout.

Art
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM

OK, off to a slow start this week. Weigh-in today:

wt: 165.6 lbs.
bf: 14.8%

Essentially no change this week. Finished the first week of "mass at home" workout.
The pain in the right heel (best guesses: calcaneal bursitis or a stress fracture) forcing a change from deep step ups to 1-leg dead lift. Otherwise able to do all the workout.

The lack of any cardio was starting to get to me as the week went on. I'm not even able to walk the dogs currently (much to my wife's chagrin). Towards the end of the week I finally got back on the erg (rowing machine). I was able to work on that with minimal pain so the past few days I've been pushing that.

Had a good workout this morning. Hopefully things will pick up this week.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM

In "The Economist" of all places I came across a short article reporting on the effects on weight loss of drinking water prior to eating. Apparently, even when consuming the same number of calories, the group which drank 500ml water prior to meals lost more weight over a 12 week period than the group which didn't drink the water. In addition, the water drinkers continued the habit after the study and continued to lose some weight (rather than gaining it back). Link to the economist article:
http://www.economist.com/node/168862...ry_id=16886246

Report on the same thing at WebMD:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100...in-weight-loss

Link to preliminary article published 2009:
Elizabeth A. Dennis, Ana Laura Dengo, Dana L. Comber, Kyle D. Flack, Jyoti Savla, Kevin P. Davy and Brenda M. Davy. Water Consumption Increases Weight Loss During a Hypocaloric Diet Intervention in Middle-aged and Older Adults. Obesity, 6 August 2009
http://www.ipwr.org/documents/WaterW...esity.2009.pdf

I know that many of trainers push drinking lots of water. There may be something to it after all. Although nobody seems to know why. . .
Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM

My personal theory is that a) the water takes up space in the stomach so the drinkers likely felt full faster than they would have, had they eaten on an empty stomach and/or b) thirst is sometimes mistaken for hunger so, having quenched their thirst, the drinkers found they weren't as "hungry" as they'd thought they were initially and, thus, consumed less food.

Other than that, I hate to say it, but I don't believe water has any specific "magic" properties. ;-)

-Jen
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM

Jen,

I agree with all you said.
THe unique part of this study was that people eating the SAME reduced calorie diets seemed to lose more weight when they drank the water prior to eating.
I don't know - could all be bogus. However, at least it's not harmful

"Slow and steady wins the race."

My Workout Journal thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?p=137725
Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post
My personal theory is that a) the water takes up space in the stomach so the drinkers likely felt full faster than they would have, had they eaten on an empty stomach and/or b) thirst is sometimes mistaken for hunger so, having quenched their thirst, the drinkers found they weren't as "hungry" as they'd thought they were initially and, thus, consumed less food.

Other than that, I hate to say it, but I don't believe water has any specific "magic" properties. ;-)

-Jen
Totally agree with you!! Can't yet explain why the group with a higher water intake lost more weight while being under the same calorie restriction as the other, but I believe what Brad says, that there's nothing magic about one particular food/liquid. At the end of the day. it all comes down to how many calories you eat and their provenience.
Have a nice day,
Ion
It could've been me, it could've been me..."
Meat Loaf- A kiss is a terrible thing to waste