TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 24th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Administrator

In a second you'll hear my NYC Marathon Anti-Cardio rant. BTW, I hate the word rant, but there's no other word to describe my article today.

But before that, a diet update.

Monday was a perfect CASS-Free day. I didn't have a nap, but I noticed the lack of caffeine. To me, that means consuming even LESS caffeine, rather than more. I don't like building dependencies. I don't want to be one of those folks that relies on caffeine to get going. But I did have caffeine today before today's workout. It helped me focus.

Today I traveled to Toronto for some admin stuff (Global Entry interview). Wednesday morning I fly to LA. It'll be a challenge to get enough water without plastic bottles. But I'll take my S'well bottle, fill it where I can, take some coconut water (so I have another cold beverage tomorrow in the hotel room tomorrow morning), and then I'll buy some coconut water (in a can) at the airport. I've also started drinking the classic airplane beverage, tomato juice, while traveling. It's viscous! And tasty! And full of salt! And even some tomato!

Alright, now for my Anti-Cardio Rant.

This morning I read a cute article (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/sp...omes-down.html) about three people that finished the NYC marathon after the official cut-off time. It took them nearly nine hours. That's fine. It was on their 'bucket list'. They were very happy, despite losing toenails and having so many blisters that they ended up with soaking wet, bloody socks. But here's the problem. They have fallen for the biggest myth when it comes to cardio. And that myth is that it burns so many calories that you eat whatever you want. From the article...

Wicki Ball, who had traveled from her home in England to cross the marathon off her bucket list, said she planned to enjoy a nice dinner.“I don’t know how many calories I’ve burned,” she said, “but I’m going to do my damnedest to put them back in.”

Listen, the average person burns 100 calories for every mile traveled (it's generally the same whether you walk or jog), so a marathon burns about 2600 calories (slightly more calories than the average person needs to maintain their weight). Too many joggers, marathoners, and cardio addicts use exercise as an excuse to feast and gorge. Later the article quoted another, Shari Diaz, about her post-race binge-eating plans.

They all dreamed of their guilt-free postrace meals. Diaz told her new friends that marathoners burned the caloric equivalent of 24 cupcakes, which led one of them to suggest that race officials put cupcakes at every mile marker. Maybe next year.

That's false! A cupcake, according to Google, contains 300 calories (if not much more). With this silly cardio mindset, it's no wonder so many people who jog and run marathons remain overweight. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Alright, enough cardio, let's talk lifting.

My workout:

1A) Hang Clean
1B) Mobility

2A) Deadlift
2B) Mobility

3A) Military Press
3B) Snatch-Grip DL

Good times. Certainly better than a 9-hour marathon.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
Don't run 9-hour marathons.

But seriously...

Make a list of what you should stop doing and what you should start doing to achieve what you want in life. What should you do if you want to be more productive? What should you stop doing if you want to be a better parent and partner? What should you start doing for your health…and stop doing for your wealth? Practice accurate, objective thinking about your behavior. What can you change that will make a big difference in your life?

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - On a side note...I saw a shooting star while walking the dog at 5:30am...

"An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day." - Henry David Thoreau

PPS - Another great quote...

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Administrator

CASS-Free Day to LA. Started with a great hotel gym workout. Details below.

Then it was off to the airport and my 5-hour flight to LA.

I love the early morning flight from the East coast to LA. It's like a time machine. Get on board, enjoy a meal, do 2 hours work, have a nap, eat a snack, and land only "2.5 hours" later. It's the flight back to the East Coast that I dislike because you lose a day to travel and it's not long enough for a proper overnight. Now about that flight and my diet challenges...

The good news: Terminal 1 at Toronto's Airport now has boxed water...different brand name, this one is called Just Water. Light blue box. Good enough. Bought a couple of those for the flight.

The good news 2: Skipped the airplane breakfast, you never know what's in that stuff. Had two glasses of tomato juice along with walnuts, an Exo bar (tastes like crickets), an almond protein bar (from Dr. Peter Osborne's company), and an apple.

The bad news: I had mixed nuts on the plane...you never know what ingredients go into those...but dang, warm mixed salted cashews are a weakness. Oh well. I feel fine. No digestive issues from it.

More importantly to my challenge, no plastic bottles or Coke Zero.

Back to this morning's workout...it was done at the Sheraton Airport Hotel in Toronto, and I'll be honest, I went full Meathead for old times sake. I did high reps 15-30 for every set of every exercise. In and out in 25 minutes.

1A) Triceps Pressdown
1B) Leg Extensions
1C) Shrugs
1D) Leg Extensions
1E) DB Curls

3 rounds of the circuit. Good times. Should be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the triceps will be sore. Not sure about quads.

Ask the big question...What do you really want to achieve in life? Then think, are the people I'm spending time with helping me achieve this? "The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best," said Epictetus

... So become the person you need to be to achieve what you want to achieve. Most people want you to remain in your comfort zone. They resist and hate change. They believe they are stuck and want you to remain stuck with them. You must not harbor any bitterness or resentment against those that try to hold you back. They know not what they do.

Stay strong and never give up on what is important to you...even if that means taking a big step out of your comfort zone. Stay strong and keep on pushing on.

Time for a big work weekend,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - Happy Movember.

Support the cause.

Make it a Turbulent Movember with a young Magnum, TT, Craig Selleck.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Did not sleep a lot last night. Still on East Coast time but on the West Coast. I'll catch up on Saturday night.

Today I needed some pre-training caffeine, even though this is a deload week. Did a tough lower body workout in the decent hotel gym. Had a little mini-challenge Personal Best of 1:46 in the Wall Squat Hold. Danced the Turbie after that one. Ha.

Rest of workout went like this:

1A) Double KB Front Squat - 3x15
1B) KB Swing - 3x20
1C) TRX Abs

2A) DB Walking Lunge
2B) Cable Abs
2C) DB RDL

Good times. Well fueled, as you'll see.

Last night was a big dinner out at Maestro's steakhouse in Costa Mesa, CA, one of my favorites. Started with jumbo shrimp and crab claws, then some steak, baked potato, and spinach. Too much food, but all good, REAL food.

Dinner last night with the Keuilian family. Now off to work with the Keuilian family at our big seminar in California. Great times!

On the beverage side, I've stuck to boxed water, Zevia, and Peppermint tea.

Everything's on track.

To the average person Friday means "coasting". To you it means getting tons done, helping a lot people, & adding value to the world. Lets go. And if did something silly last night, forget about it. I did and I’m OVER it. Past is past. Can't be changed. Apologize if needed. Learn your lesson. Move on. Do better today!

Time to get going,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - Be happy & content at this very moment. Have gratitude for the small things in life. No complaining. Just appreciate how lucky you are.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Administrator

We are in the homestretch for the 24th TT Contest.

Stay strong and push on!

I've been doing that here in Denver with boxed water, no Coke Zero, and even a stricter diet...oh, and a new personal best in the gym.

Monday was a CASS-Free diet day. I was exhausted by the end of it, still catching up on sleep from the big Info Workshop weekend. There was no training though, but there was today and I had some pre-workout caffeine that helped me fly through a great session. DOMS is already coming on strong after only 5 hours. Could be some slow walks to work this week.

Tomorrow might be CASS-Free, we shall see.

And since I'm back in Denver and working pretty much 12 hours a day and eating in my hotel room, I've switched over to the Vegan-Paleo diet again.

That should continue right through to Saturday night when I get back to the farm and ol' Bally the Dog. Hopefully he'll have rustled up some steaks.

BTW, here's the latest hilarious report on the ol' guy...he almost ran away again for the 100th time.

From Grandma B, his dogsitter:

Well we went for a walk down by the river and he is usually ahead of me and down in the river, when I looked up he was running on the other side chasing some grey four legged animal and would not come back. He chased all the way to the other bush but I guess he couldn't find it then so eventually came back. Thought he might have been gone forever.

I'll give him an extra belly rub on Saturday night...steak or no steak!

Now about today's workout. It went down at 5am MST in Denver.

1A) Speed Squat
1B) Mobility

2A) Deep Squat - 5x8 at 225
2B) Mobility

3A) RDL
3B) BB Lunge

Rower - New PB... 250m in 52 seconds.

Finished with a couple of intervals.

That was enough.

Good times were had by all...including the woman I saw who was walking sideways up a stairmill while reading a magazine.

Now I've seen it all in the gym.

Geesh.

Stay STRONG and true to yourself today, no matter what happens, no matter what anyone else says, no matter how they act. Everything ends at some point. Good times AND bad. So persevere through the hard times knowing they will be over and you will get through them, and be present and enjoy the good times with as much gratitude as possible.

Do the right things right now,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

Old 11-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Today was a little bit of pre-workout caffeine before hitting a Personal Best in Dips (20). There are only 2 weeks left (actually less) in this contest, and I'm pushing on strong to the end. It's been almost 3 months since I've drank a Coke Zero or water from a plastic water bottle.

In addition, I've stepped up my personal development. Just the other day an Info Workshop attendee sent me a very kind email calling me for being better and living the ETR Core Values:

Craig, I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to attend the Info Workshop. It was so well done, so much great info and such a great format. In particular, I just wanted to say how impressed I was with your presentations and how personable you were with all the guests. You were on fire, the best version of CB I think I've ever seen. I know it's none of my concern, but since you've mentioned that you've struggled with anxiety in the past, it looks to me like you're winning - your audiences and followers get even better content and value from you. Thank you again, you're a great example for me.”

What the heck are the ETR Core Values? I'll explain below...

But first, today's workout:

1A) Dips - Max reps (hit 20 on first set)
1B) Pause Chin-ups (1 second pause at top and bottom)

2A) DB Press with 5s ECC
2B) Barbell Row

Lots of foam rolling. Legs are sore, and getting worse by the minute, after Tuesday's squat session.

So about the ETR Core Values...

Here they are:

#1 – Dedicated to Improving Others

We teach valuable skills and foster the application of these skills so that our readers and employees can improve their lives.

#2 – Self-Reliance and Personal Responsibility

While ETR teaches and preaches the need for and benefits of finding positive social support, networking with like-minded people, and attending educational seminars, at the end of the day it’s still your decision to follow through on all of this. It is up to YOU and you only.

#3 – Live by Example

An ETR member exudes the principles of EarlytoRise.com at all times, especially when representing ETR. We rise early, manage our time and energy, and are dedicated to a life well lived. We are, of course, not "all work and no play". Time is made for the finer things in life, enjoyed responsibly.

#4 – Concentrate on What Counts

We focus on what matters. Ignore the noise and concentrate on the big items that move the needle in your life towards your goals.

#5 – We Deliver The Truth

We tell the truth and we expect others to tell the truth to us. The only way to build strong relationships among team members, with joint venture partners, and with our readers, is to always be truthful.

#6 – Customer Service, Customer Service, Customer Service

This is our team's mission. Every communication focuses on improving the customer experience. We have always had great customer service and always will because it helps people implement our proven products and they get more results. And that is why it’s so important, is because it ends up impacting so many more people and moving us towards the TT 10 Million Transformation Mission.

#7 – Always be Learning and Improving

You’re not just satisfied with what you know now. You’re always improving.

#8 – Never, ever, ever, EVER give up on what is important to you.

Never give up on getting better, and never give up on helping our readers and clients. Everybody’s going to have some struggles, but we’re going to be there helping.

Build a network of Go-Givers & positive people. There are good folks out there that want to help. Lead by example & harness the power of positive people in your life!

Get giving,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Ewww. Sugar Free Red Bull. That was all I could scavenge for pre-workout caffeine today, and I needed it before a monster deadlift session. Managed to drink half a can, which was just enough to power me through a great workout at 5am here in Denver.

Not a great diet decision, but at least I know I won't be making that mistake again in the future.

Everything else is dialed in though, with a Paleo-Vegan day and no booze. The only drinks I've had in this entire Transformation Contest were the 3 I had with Bedros in Vegas. Just not interested anymore.

Tomorrow will be a CASS-Free travel day back to the farm.

Today's workout went like this:

1A) Hang Clean
1B) Mobility

2A) Deadlift - 275x5x10
2B) Mobility

3A) Military Press
3B) Leg Curl

While I was deadlifting, a young man used the rack beside me to do hang cleans with terrible form. They were violent reverse curls. He won't be able do any 12oz curls this weekend. It was uuuuuuuuuugly.

Identify temptations and obstacles that must be eliminated, and match your energy levels with the toughest tasks in your day. The more you know about yourself and apply this info, the better your results. ........... Surround yourself with the right people, always. Cut the negativity. Get rid of the energy drainers. Stick to your schedule. Have clarity of purpose. Do what is right for you, your team, and your family. Never ever give up on what is important to you. You can - and WILL - do it.

I believe in you,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - People are calling this my best ever...

...essay for ETR. It's a little sad, so be forewarned.

=> http://www.earlytorise.com/preparing...h-of-a-parent/
Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Saturday was a CASS-Free travel day, but dang, I was tired. Maybe the nap I had in the car from the hotel to the airport made me more tired. Not sure. But I held off from caffeine before and during the flight, even though I had a 90-minute drive home from the airport after a 3 hour flight. Fortunately I snuck in a nap before landing. That helped me stay alert for the drive home that ended just as the sunset Saturday night. Very pretty little drive.

Today, Monday, will be CASS-Free. No workout. Just a lot of work and phone calls with the ETR HQ back in Denver. Love that team!

Sunday morning was a different story. I slept late (due to the 2-hour time change going east) and then had some pre-workout caffeine with breakfast. A couple of hours later, after doing some writing, I went to the YMCA to hit the rack.

The workout went like this:
1A) Speed Squat
1B) Mobility

2A) Squat - 5x6 at 235
2B) Mobility

3A) BB Lunge

3B) Leg Curl

Surround yourself with people who are better, smarter, happier, stronger, fitter, wealthier, friendlier, funnier, and wiser than you. Hang around people who are more successful, more disciplined, more family-oriented, more connected, more experienced, more energized, more loving, more relaxed, and more generous. Learn from everyone.

Act to attract,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Today was pre-workout caffeine and a big breakfast bowl of coconut oil, walnuts, almond butter, and Paleo Protein powder sprinkled on top. Also had a few Brazil nuts on the side. This is not a Paleo Vegan week, but it's really easy to avoid plastic water bottles when you stay home.

The workout was done in the Garage Gym. This was good and bad. I just ran out of time this morning and couldn't go to the Y for a regular bench press workout. I basically wussed out, because I have enough equipment to do upper body at home, but still, the workout is not the same. I need to have a serious chat with myself and get myself serious about getting stronger again.

Today's Training:

1) Decline Maximus Pause Pushup (1 second pause at top and bottom) = 24 (new personal best)

2A) Pullup
2B) DB Inc Neutral Grip Press

3A) Renegade Row with Hand on Bench
3B) Plank to Triceps Extension

4) 1-Arm DB Row

This was okay. Glad to have hit the PB on pushups.

Now here's something interesting...check out this man's journey...he clearly has eating issues that need professional help, but it shows the power of tracking:

=> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...cker.html?_r=0

You don't need to wait for the new year to create a resolution. Self improvement can start TODAY. Realize your goal and make the steps to achieve it. Procrastinating positive change is only limiting you from reaching your full potential!

Don't let minor matters slow you down.

“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.” – Winston Churchill ..... Do what matters!

Focus on the major things in life,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - Remember not to worry about that which you cannot control.

“I wish I hadn’t spent so much of my life worrying.” => #1 regret of people, according to The Legacy Project at Cornell University
Old 11-18-2015, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Diet was the same as yesterday. Some caffeine because I thought I was going to lift weights, but changed my mind at the last minute. Ooops.

Instead of a workout I did a bike ride around the river in unseasonably warm temperatures. I got out of Denver just in time before the snow.

I'm loving this time of year with it's early sunsets. Of course, as soon as January 1st hits, I'm happy to get out of here! I'll be heading to Denver and Miami in early January, and plan to spend at 100 workdays in at ETR HQ in Denver in 2016. I'll be there more than ever, and away from the farm more than ever, too.

Time to enjoy the final weeks of 2015 - with just one last 10 day trip to Denver for our Toys for Tots shopping extravaganza on December 5th. No American Thanksgiving for me though, this year. I'll be working and enjoying a regular Thursday up here in Canadia.

But I'm looking forward to thinking up some BIG prizes and a big personal transformation for the 25th TT Contest starting right after Christmas. Our top prize will probably (don't quote me) airfare and hotel to the 2016 TT Summit that will be held in Denver in early June.

The life we lead is because of the choices we make. These are the friends we've chosen. This is how we have decided to spend out time. This is how we've decided to take care of ourselves. Our choice, no one else. If we want our lives to change, we have to take responsibility for the world we create for ourselves.

You must implement the 5 Pillars of Transformation to make BIG changes. Plan and prepare better. Get professional accountability. Recruit positive social support. Give yourself an incentive. Set a Big Deadline.

And act!

focus, Focus, FOCUS on what REALLY matters. => Action

Push on,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Old 11-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Today was a slightly different breakfast, but still had pre-workout caffeine before a deadlift session. Yesterday I was just thinking, I've only had 3 drinks since late August, and those were all at dinner in Vegas with Bedros.

No artificial sweeteners today, either, and still no plastic bottles or Coke Zeros, of course.

Breakfast was coconut oil, then walnuts, half a banana, and Almond-Hazelnut-butter and more walnuts all layered in a bowl.

It's amazing how long that "Paleo cereal" can keep you satisfied. Somedays I don't feel like eating for 6 hours. I can see where the Bulletproof coffee guy is on to something.

But since I don't drink coffee, I guess it's Bulletproof Cereal for me. Or as I prefer to call it, Yummy Cereal.

Because it's so satisfying, I've moved my workout time back. Each morning, when I'm in Toronto, I have a work meeting (video call) at 10:30am, so I either have to train before or after. Training before was uncomfortable because I was too full. So I recently switched to after and it's been working out great.

Details on today's training session...

1A) Hang Clean
1B) Mobility

2A) Trap Bar Deadlift - PB of 315x10
2B) Mobility

3A) CSR
3B) Leg Curl

I'll save Military Press for a garage workout tomorrow (where I'll sub in KB 1-Arm Presses and finish with some arms and abs).

Saturday will be off (big walk in the cold weather that is coming) and then Sunday will be back under the bar for a Squat workout.

While I was training I saw something ironic. A girl was working out in Vibrams (not ironic), but doing Smith Machine Squats and Machine Leg presses. Seems ironic to be wearing a shoe built for 'natural movement' and then doing exercises that lock your body into a fixed plane.

Methinks she's drinking the kool aid without thinking.

"Set aside a certain number of days, during which you shall be content with the scantiest and cheapest fare, with course and rough dress, saying to yourself the while: Is this the condition that I feared?" — Seneca

Go on,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - Every action either moves you closer to or further away from your goals. #truth

Choose wisely.