TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 13th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 PM

I was going to ask you how you were doing with your water consumption, but I see one of your goals is to drink more water this week That has a major affect on scale weight. Don't go by the scale; it'll make you crazy and it's useless anyway. Someone linked to a topic on another website (I can't remember who it was or what the website was!) but it was a picture of a girl who is a model and one was of her weighing like 120 lbs and the other of her weighing 130 lbs after a bulking period- she looked better (and leaner, more fit) at 130 then she had at 120... so really, weight is a terrible measure if you ask me.

Your measurements are staying consistent or going down- that's the thing to go off of.

I know you said we don't need to talk you down, but I can't help but post this. Scale weight was the most depressing thing for me. In TTTC10, I 'plateaued' for a period of time (or maybe it was just after TC10??) and stayed the same weight for 6 weeks despite awesome diet and workouts- I kid you not. BUT, my measurements got better, and once my body was 'ready' I dropped another 8 pounds or so over the course of a few weeks. Body knows best. I got a little discouraged about the scale weight, but it was good for me overall and was one of the reasons that I decided not to really weigh myself often.

Also, keep in mind that weight can fluctuate +-5 lbs a day depending on when you weigh yourself, the scale, etc. I weighed 110 on my parent's scale one day last week, and like 3 days later at the dr office I weighed 116 on the scale... surely I didn't gain 6 lbs in a week... so all this to say take it with a grain of salt, you're rocking it

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." - Mother Teresa

My TTTC 10 Thread: http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=9998
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Listen to Rachel - she is wise and wonderful.

I also pay a lot of the attention to the scales but I'm gradually weaning myself off them in favour of the measuring tape.

Stay strong - everything will fall into place
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks guys for the pep talk. I am trying to let go of my dependance of the scale but man it is so hard to break up with that thing. It can really determine my mood for the day depending on whether it moved up or down. It is stupid I know...I just need to let go, trust the process and enjoy the journey.

Got up and did a bit of HIIT cardio. Working early all week (read 7 am) which means if I want to get in the full TT training I need to be up by 4:45 am. I love working out early but man I find I hit the wall by 7 pm and drag my butt the rest of the night.

Food was great today. Got about 3 litres of water in. Food looked like this:

meal 1: 3/4 c greek yogurt, 1/3 c home made granola, strawberries
meal 2: chicken curry with spinach, chickpeas, and an apple
meal 3: homemade protein bar, carrots
meal 4: turkey sausage, salad greens with goat cheese, 1 Tbsp cranberries and almonds

Made some more protein bars tonight so I am set for the week. Better get to bed as 4:45 comes early. I will try to catch up on some logs tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Hi Heather

Sounds like you had a great day! Think of that scale as a bad habit you want to change. Have a good day tomorrow!

-L
Old 01-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for coming by my thread - I posted the response below also in my own thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgjohnston View Post
Hi Heather, just wanted to drop in and say hi and to thank you for taking the time for posting in my log. Your starting pics look great (I would love to have your starting pics as my finishing pics ). Great that you are only 1 lb up from where you left off in challenge 12.

Good luck with your goals and workouts and I look to following along with your progress in your log.
Thanks, Heather. If you want to see where I started, you can look back at TT #8 (?) - I think that's right. Those pics really freak me out now!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM

Hi all! Sorry I have been MIA for the past couple of days life is a bit busy, but I have made time for working out and eating clean. Did workout B yesterday morning, no real increase in weights and did some HIIT at the end. Today is a day off. I was really looking forward to "sleeping in" til 05:30 but my little guy had other ideas... thank God for coffee is all I have to say.

I have a new challenge for myself...to stay off the scale. We are officially breaking up. It is not budging and I am getting mad. I am such an immediate results junkie. I am feeling so good, have more energy and for some reason I need to see a number to feel validated. Then when I don't see what I want to see I get discouraged and frustrated. So my solution is to put the scale away for awhile, trust the process, hit my workouts hard, eat clean and the results should follow...right??

Sorry for the rant. I promise my next post will be much more energetic and happy
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgjohnston View Post
Hi all! Sorry I have been MIA for the past couple of days life is a bit busy, but I have made time for working out and eating clean. Did workout B yesterday morning, no real increase in weights and did some HIIT at the end. Today is a day off. I was really looking forward to "sleeping in" til 05:30 but my little guy had other ideas... thank God for coffee is all I have to say.

I have a new challenge for myself...to stay off the scale. We are officially breaking up. It is not budging and I am getting mad. I am such an immediate results junkie. I am feeling so good, have more energy and for some reason I need to see a number to feel validated. Then when I don't see what I want to see I get discouraged and frustrated. So my solution is to put the scale away for awhile, trust the process, hit my workouts hard, eat clean and the results should follow...right??

Sorry for the rant. I promise my next post will be much more energetic and happy
If the scale is getting in your way, then you're right to eliminate it from your life for awhile. Look for those changes in clothing - that is the key!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM

If it's not moving you forward, then it's setting you back. If you can use the number on the scale to motivate you to kick butt, great. If not, get rid of it. Scales are fickle friends - why beat yourself up with it? You're doing great - just keep going!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM

Hi Heather.. How's it all going? I'm reading about your frustration with the scales, and yes, I doubt there's one person here that couldn't relate to you. Last contest I was having the scale head screws because I was eating right, workouts good.. all good, but then up 2lbs. Katie posted this link for me to read and I'm giving it to you too because it's great.

http://www.rachelcosgrove.com/2010/1...-of-the-scale/

Your food looks good, workouts look good, your drinking lots of water.. it's all good. How are your little twins.. ? Keeping you on the go no doubt. What workout are you doing? Have a great weekend!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Thank you Deb!

Deb, just wanted to thank you for that article, it was a great read and really put me in a better mental place. I am going to go find a too small pair of pants in my closet, God knows there lots of them in there and that will be my measurement tool. I put so much emphasis on a darn number but I do need some positive reinforcement somehow (why the better mood and more energy aren't enough I don't know?)

The kids are doing well, thank you for asking. Though I was hoping by now this whole tantrum thing would be done... sooo not the case! They are fun though and I love every minute.

Again many thanks for that link and checking in on me.