TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 13th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Primal Turbulence

A new year and a new TT contest. I was a finalist in the last contest but as I didn't place, I'm here to give it another shot and continue my fitness journey. I'm a bit late getting to the forums this time but I did start on 7 January and took my 'before' pictures.

I start TT 13 lighter and slightly smaller than I finished TT 12 so clearly the changes I made recently are working and paying off, particularly in the area of nutrition. I haven't really been getting any exercise of any sorts for a while but I really felt like I needed to let my body rest. I feel like it has been worthwhile but I am ready to start moving again and to getting back to my TT workouts.

The title of this thread explains what my nutrition and exercise strategy for this contest is going to be. I'm going to continue with the primal/paleo/low carb eating lifestyle. I'm not a huge fan of labelling and compartmentalizing things, especially diets but this seems to be the label being used to describe eating whole, unprocessed food consisting of animal protein, fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts and eliminating all grains, sugar and processed foods in general. I've been eating this way with at least 80% compliance since 8 November and my energy is up, my mind clear and my skin (I suffer from psoriasis) improving and clearing every day. But more importantly, this truly is a liefstyle rather than a "diet" and if easy to follow and sustain. I really can't see myself going back to eating the way I used to, not that it was bad but it wasn't resulting in much improvement either. And this is why I've continued to improve in since the last contest in spite of not working out much.

The "Turbulence" part of the title is self-explanatory. No fitness plan can be successful without an effective exercise element and I still believe that Turbulence Training is the exercise strategy for me. What's more, it's fully compatible with what some of the primal/paleo "gurus" recommend - shorter more intense workouts, HIIT, adequate rest and recovery.

As I've been off my workouts for a while, I'm going to start nice and easy to get the muscles working again. I'm going to begin with the Beginner workout from the original TT manual or maybe the Prep workout from the 6-month bodyweight workout manual. I'm hoping that it won't take long to regain some conditioning and perhaps I can move on to more challenging workouts soon. But I'm going to err on the conservative side if necessary and build up slowly.

I'm also going to make a greater effort to be active in the forums this time too. My recent downtime has been mental as well as physical and this has covered all aspects of my life at the moment including work. It's a bit like the sabbatical I've been meaning to take for some time and luckily, my workload has been light allowing me to do a lot of reading, pondering and relaxing the brain.

I have a good feeling about this contest, but then, I've had a good feeling about every contest I've done (can't help it - I'm a hapless optimist!)

Find me on Facebook
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM

It sounds like you have a great plan, Waleed! I think it's good to take a break sometimes, as long as you don't fall into bad habits like I did during my "I'm too busy and stressed to work out so I'll just eat" break over the last couple of months. It sounds like you've got it under control, though and now you've got a nice fresh clean start. Keep going!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Hi Waleed,

It's nice when things start to come together. With your workload lighting up a bit you’ll have more time to stay focused on your workout and the contest.

You have the right idea of working through progression. Moving on to a more challenging workout once you reach a level that becomes too easy. You’ll be amazed on what you can accomplish.

Best of luck to you!

BTW I love the positive spirit!

-L
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Good Luck Again

Hello Waleed, I have been doing TT with you for a few years now and hope this is the best TT contest for each of us. The key it sounds like for you, as with me, is Nutrition. 12 weeks from now lets say we did this! Take Care and I look forward to watching you improve each week!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Continued success Waleed! Concetta
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concetta27 View Post
Continued success Waleed! Concetta
Remember smoketheblowfish????? He would have enjoyed that thread!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Well, things have gotten off to a bad start for me.

I spent the first two weeks just getting used to moving around and this basically meant, lots of walking. So, in week 3, I decided it was time to start TT workouts and I decided to being with some HIIT. I did my warm-up, broke into my first sprint and then splat! I fell face forward into the asphalt. I tripped on some concrete left over from some construction work. It was sticking out about 1/2 an inch a but that was enough to catcht the toe of my shoe and cause me to come crashing down to the ground. Luckily, I was just a few doors away from home, so I limped home and got my wife to give me the once over (she's a doctor).

My right knee was badly hurt and I was lucky to have not broken the knee cap. My left hand was injured too. So, no more workouts for me for the rest of the week - not even walking.

I went for my first walk after my fall this evening. I'm on a business trip so I have a bit more time to myself in the evenings after work. I walked one hour and I felt fine - the knee held up - although the pace was slightly off my usual. The knee is still various shades to blue and purple from the bruising and the hand is healing too but I think I might be ready for a light TT workout, one of the beginner workouts perhaps. That's the plan for tomorrow.

I had a bit too many grains on the weekend (wheat specifically) but otherwise, the nutrition is doing fine. I recommitted today to eating right today. The body is such a wondrous thing when you can listen to it and let it do what it needs to do. I had a very satisfying breakfast at around 9am of a 3-egg omelette, two slices of turkey bacon, a plateful of lettuce with a cup of coffee. It was almost 4:30pm (had one green tea and water at work) before I felt hungry and thought about food so I met a friend for a late-lunch/early dinner - fresh cream of mushroom soup, grilled chicken breast, greek salad. Eating when hungry seems so natural and it's seems to suit me well. It's taken a lot of stress out worrying about eating 5-6 times a day out of my life and for now, I'm going to stick with this approach. Eating whole foods with plenty of protein, fat and complex carbs definitely helps to keep my hunger in check. I seem to be eating smaller meals too.

So far so good, but I need to get back into TT workouts soon.