TT Members Forum  
Home | Discussion Forums | TTmembers.com Tour | Search | Member Area

Go Back   TT Members Forum > Transformation Contests > 6th Transformation Contest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Use yourself as your own personal feedback system and an opportunity to strategize.

Dipped into the chocolate absentmindedly? (I'm raising my guilty hand here!!!) Look deeper at how you felt or what was going on at the time...bored, stressed, was it too "handy" and available right there? You will get the deep insight into the overall picture that you need to succeed. Write down or mentally note 3 alternatives as to what you would do differently next time, like calling a friend or sending an e mail, getting more snacks in of healthy stuff so you don't reach the point of ravenous hunger, etc. Then DO IT!

Also, self talk to yourself...like Thor said on the contest 4 board, think of it as "that is not me, I will not go there!" when tempted to binge, or not workout.

While I am not a religious person, there is a saying in the Bible that I have found to be true already in this TT contest..."...as a man thinketh in his heart, SO IS HE." So...think happy and "thin" and "strong" and "determined" thoughts, people! We can DO this!!!

Tina

"Dream the impossible, do the incredible."

"Behold the turtle...he makes progress by sticking his neck out"
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM

I think that one step to success in transformation is changing your habits.

Exercise and good nutrition need to become habits. Positive mental state and moving to a can-do attitude need to become a habit. Once a goal (transformation) is achieved, then maintaining that state needs to become a habit and finally, not accepting status quo, but rather seeking continual improvement, needs to also become a habit.

If you haven't read The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People, it's good. Steven Covey maintains that habits consist of knowledge, skill and desire.

Craig and everyone in the group shares the knowledge on transformation - it's there to learn from. The skill is there in all of the work outs available to everyone.....and the desire is there in us all to change. That has given us the motivation to start in the transformation.

Continually seeking out new knowledge on health & fitness, imporving skills on how to achieve & maintain a healthy & fit lifestyle and keeping the desire (to be the best that one can be) alive need to become habit.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Thats really great stuff!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 AM

I think it all really begins with goal-setting. There are so many different programs, books and ideas out there which are essentially the same in their message (at the decent ones) - the difference seems to be the "packaging" and the way the concepts are presented. So choose whatever works for you and this might involve reading through or trying several different programs before one sticks. Some examples might include The 7-Habits (already mentioned in an earlier post), Awaken the Giant Within, The Secret, Magic 100 etc.

For me, podcasts - motivational, nutrition or exercise ones - really help to energize me and help me reconnect with my goals. Maybe it's the listening rather than reading that helps to hit the brain instantly. Again, whatever means it takes and what seems to work - everyone's different.

Another thing that has really helped me on this contest in particular, is that I am and being absolutely anal about writing everything down (I mean literally!). I always have a pen in my pocket, a little pocket notebook to record my food and not only am I writing what I eat but also when and where. Same goes for exercise and even what time I went to sleep and woke up. This then goes into my daily journal which I make a point to write up every night no matter what. While I don't always have time to
spend on the forums or even update every day, my daily journal must be written. This has provided me with a new level of accountability and the focus I needed...but like I said, this is what I felt I personally needed and it will largely depend on your own perception of how much effort you need to put to reach your own goals.

Find me on Facebook
Old 04-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Hey, If i can offer some simple advice on top of all the other stuff (which are all great ideas) it would be to not go too hard. That may sound silly but what i mean is don't be so intense as to not let yourself have a little treat here and there or go way above and beyond with your workouts. If you go too hard at the start you may burn out. It's really hard to keep that sort of intensity up for 12 weeks and more importantly forever. Pace yourself. The program really works by itself, you don't need to add to it and improve it, or do 7 workouts a week etc. It's important to train well when you do train, but just be careful not to try and do much more, because eventually you'll run out of steam and that will make it really hard on yourself.
Jonny
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Awesome point! I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_munro View Post
Hey, If i can offer some simple advice on top of all the other stuff (which are all great ideas) it would be to not go too hard. That may sound silly but what i mean is don't be so intense as to not let yourself have a little treat here and there or go way above and beyond with your workouts. If you go too hard at the start you may burn out. It's really hard to keep that sort of intensity up for 12 weeks and more importantly forever. Pace yourself. The program really works by itself, you don't need to add to it and improve it, or do 7 workouts a week etc. It's important to train well when you do train, but just be careful not to try and do much more, because eventually you'll run out of steam and that will make it really hard on yourself.
Jonny
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 AM

Thumbs up My tips to the next wave of TT transformers...

Great tips, Jonny!

Here is mine and it's a mouthful...

1) WATCH YOUR NUTRITION. DON'T FOCUS ON SCALE WEIGHT BUT FOCUS MORE ON MEASUREMENTS IF YOU CAN (BF, WAIST SIZE, ETC). AND IF YOU MESS UP HERE AND THERE - STAY POSITIVE. You can't beat yourself up if you ate too many, too less calories mid week. Just brush yourself off and keep on going. But stay true to your goals and refocus. If you want to gain mass with TT then you need to up your calories accordingly but eat the right foods and drop the junk - mass building is not an excuse to splurge on your nutrition. On the other side of the coin, if you can't enough then don't expect to gain mass. If you want to lose weight, don't expect any fat loss here if you're not keeping yourself at a calorie deficit either. It's all going to bottom down to proper nutrition here.

2) Set some achievable goals and truly want it. Week to week worked for me to a tee.

3) To the newcomers - stick to the programs as is.

4) To both old and new comers - Mix up your intervals - but stay within the frame of your chosen TT program. Don't rely on just one approach to doing your HIIT's. Treadmill intervals are the best but for variety's sake and to throw a good curve ball to your body's response to adapt - you can use BW, Jump Rope, Swimming, Cycling if you want to and interchange them week to week. It doesn't have to be on a treadmill always. And for those who want to do KB's - if you have never done them before - dont' do them unless you can honestly do them correctly.

5) This is for the "long timers" that have been through a few contests as it is. I've been doing TT for awhile...maybe longer than many here. When I joined this 4th contest - I knew if I didn't have that intensity level at the highest point for 12 weeks - I was not going to make any splash in the end. Fortunately I did and got 2nd. But if you look at many of the contestants who have won and only using the TT principles to a tee for the first time - those were the winners who took it all the way.

I had high expecatations of myself and really pushed hard. It may come across to many as nutbagging - but if you been reading my workout journals - it was all systematic. TT has evolved since I've joined (from 3 minutes arms, to 6 minute abs, to BW Cardio Intervals, to Complexes, to timed intervals/tabatas) and many of the new approaches to intervals Craig introduced in his programs worked for me. It's ok to nutbag - but just be systematic about it as well. Don't go overboard with it. Again: Intensity is always going to be subjective but you'll know it when you're working it. Intensity: very important in this contest. But also note that if you've been doing TT for sometime and joining this 5th contest - the body adapts and you really, really need to intermittently change up your interval sessions and select the best programs to achieve your goals or you can hit some stalls in progress.

Again, use the tools that Craig has given you in all of his programs - I've mentioned many here as it is. If I'm not challenging myself with my training..then it's just a waste of time in the gym for me. So I took every TT approved approaches like the 6 minute abs and used it to my advantage.

5) Program selection! Very important. If it's fat loss you're after, I recommend workouts that involve alot of BW in it (or a combination of BW and Weights together) and of course you have to have intervals in it. If it's mass you're after - go with a program that doesn't involve any intervals sessions. Either way you go on this - don't forget to eat and make sure your calories correlate to your program your on.

6) Stay consistent.

7) Don't put too much on your plate starting off. Again, I stress to stick to the program as they are written if you're starting off.

8) Don't be afraid to ask a question in here if you are unsure of an exercise or what not. We're all here to help.

9) Start a workout journal and find that social support here - and commit to it for 12 weeks. WE WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE. And it's probably the best thing you can do here and alot of us want to meet you and watch you through your journey.

10) STAY THE COURSE AND STAY CONSISTENT (edit..oops! I mentioned that in #6 already! But this the KEY to your success)

11) (edit) And another important tip: Warm up and Stretch - ALWAYS...never pass up a warm up. Never neglect stretching post workout...that kept me injury free all throughout the contest. Do them.

Goodluck!!!!

Andy
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the advice, Jonny and Andy. You cannot go wrong following the winners!

My workout journal:
http://forum.ttmembers.com/showthread.php?t=6431
Old 05-15-2009, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up

This is where I AM right now -- using Jon Gabriel's visualization techniques and power words to keep on track! Thanks, Canuckgal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal View Post
Use yourself as your own personal feedback system and an opportunity to strategize.

Dipped into the chocolate absentmindedly? (I'm raising my guilty hand here!!!) Look deeper at how you felt or what was going on at the time...bored, stressed, was it too "handy" and available right there? You will get the deep insight into the overall picture that you need to succeed. Write down or mentally note 3 alternatives as to what you would do differently next time, like calling a friend or sending an e mail, getting more snacks in of healthy stuff so you don't reach the point of ravenous hunger, etc. Then DO IT!

Also, self talk to yourself...like Thor said on the contest 4 board, think of it as "that is not me, I will not go there!" when tempted to binge, or not workout.

While I am not a religious person, there is a saying in the Bible that I have found to be true already in this TT contest..."...as a man thinketh in his heart, SO IS HE." So...think happy and "thin" and "strong" and "determined" thoughts, people! We can DO this!!!

Tina

*Click opening line in sig
to visit my TTTC#5 Journal and
TwitterMe, if you please: penneardics
Old 09-07-2009, 04:49 AM

An essential part of increasing fitness is recovery. When we train, we stress the body which reacts by increasing its capability to manage that stress. That is how we become fitter.

However, this increased capacity occurs in the recovery period. Without allowing the body enough time to recover, this adaptation cannot occur.

Follwing three TT sessions a week incoproates these principles brilliantly. But, many people, particularly if faced with a competition, are motivated to do more. If three sessions are good then four must be better!! The temptation is that the days between TT sessions can become full blown sessions thenselves.

My tip therefore is to ensure that you have adequate recovery. On your non TT days, initially take things very easily and monitor your recovery. As you get fitter, gradually increase the amount you do on your easy days. It is easy to see what experienced guys are doing on their 'off' days and think that is the way to go. Remember, it has taken them a long time to achieve the fitness level to train to that level. An essential component to build fitness is recovery. Plan your recovery with the same diligence you plan your training.